North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace that truly cared about the wellbeing of their employees
SARS Screener (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
-screening people for SARS.
-I love working in a fast paced environment.
-The management team treated us with respect and valued us
-Co-workers were great; we all got along
-hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day.
-working and interacting with people; and taking peoples temperature
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
nothing
Productive and rewarding enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto22 October 2016
Amazing place to be apart of and extremely rewarding. Hardest part - none. Management is very supportive. Learned various management and administrative skills.
Great placement
Registered Practical Nurse Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
I was taught how to perfect the art of organization and prioritization through my placement at North York General Hospital by treating patients with complex and unpredictable life-threatening conditions.
System Analyst
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
Worked there as a student consultant and system analyst at medical imaging center. It was one of the best experiences. Managers were extremely helpful and understanding and had meeting with the engineering team whenever we asked for.
Worst Employer
RN (Former Employee) –  .26 August 2016
North York General Hospital is the worst employer I've ever had. Management is unfair, focused on budgeting and finding ways to minimize budget, volume over quality. If management does not like you, they will find a way to wean you out of the department systematically. I have been through multiple departments thinking things will change - but they didn't. A lot of inter-colleague backstabbing and bullying; from my experiences, new hires often quit from bullying, cliques, management stating they would be supportive but actually aren't, and overwhelming patient loads. I suggest staying away from this place if you're looking for supportive management, and having an employer who truly cares about you.
Very supportive and education based employment
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2016
I enjoy coming o work .If there is a problem we all are able to communicate and work out our problems. I feel privileged to be able to come into this work daily and increase my knowledge base as well as look after the clients. The employees here have gone out of their way to assist the patients and also be supportive to their family. We involve family in their care.
I was able to communicate with management professionally about anything that is of concern on the unit and we would all work things out.
There is also room for advancement in this profession and we are supported to go back to school.
Ive been employed with NYGH for approx 20 years and I am happy that I will work for numerous years ahead.
Professionally we are here for our patients.
Pros
Supportive upper management and co workers
Cons
at times environment can be violent
Good place to gain experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Great team, mostly electronic system which is helpful most of the time, very sick patients and not enough nurses.
A good place to start
Nutrition Volunteer for Diabetes Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Norht York Hospital was excellent place to begin to gain volunteer experience in my field. While volunteering in the diabetes centre, I gained skills that have allowed me to pursue and succeed in more challenging settings.
senior
ASSISTANT EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
senior health center was a goo dplace to worl although the nurses did not care about the pationts that much and were not checking on them.
Productive and fulfilling
Art therapist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 April 2016
A typical day at work is about knowing what the schedule is for the day as it changes daily. What I learned is how to be flexible and always be ready for any changes.
The Management team and co-workers are pretty mellow and always willing to help others.
The hardest part of my job is that work is never done, you can start something wonderful and you don't get to complete your task somebody else finishes it for you due to shift change.
The most enjoyable part of y day is not the fact that I'm clocking out it is the mere joy of seeing the beautiful smile on each patients faces is I would say the most rewarding thing of all.
Job is fine to long of drive to get to work
assist patient or assign any other requests (Current Employee) –  North York, ON12 April 2016
My rewiew is average as to the job I was doing
Very fast paced dispatch area
Need to folow instruction as per nurses request
Need to be acurate with detail as it involves patients vital info
Enjoyable workplace with an exceptional nursing staff
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Fast paced environment
responsible for ADLs, mobility and medication administration on a daily basis.
Patient and family centered care is a top priority.
Management is kind, approachable, and productive
Co workers are friendly and approachable, making the work day easy when you need help.
The hardest part of my job is the palliative aspect, watching families struggle with letting go of a loved one.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working together with the interdisciplinary team, as well as the family and patients to achieve patients goals.
Pros
Family and patient centered care
Excellent team players
Medical Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Genetics Department16 January 2016
North York General Hospital is my SECOND family. There are days where they feel like my ONE AND ONLY family. I have complete satisfaction working at NYGH as I have never seeked to look elsewhere in any other department. Our manager is the greatest manager I have ever had. She is open, fair, honest and most of all we are treated equal. The only hardest part of the job is because we don't pick and choose our family.. some members may not be having such great of a day, where "working like a team" needs to be reminded. But other than that, every aspect of my job is enjoyable. I love to make a difference in all the lives I am blessed to be a part of. Making a difference is what NYGH does and for that, I am so very proud of this organization. I have been employed almost 18 years, and as much as I look forward to retiring, I do not look forward to NOT being a part of this amazing team we have. Hence, I am literally super excited to come into work and be the change I wish to see in this world and specifically in the health care field.
Pros
FAMILY SETTING
Cons
WE DON"T ALWAYS PICK OUR FAMILY
Kitchen duties
Health Management, Leslie and Sheppard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
I was a porter/general help. I time in when I first come in to work, put on an apron and go directly to the dish room because the job is not complete if I leave unclean items in there or if something isn't finished by the end of my 5 hour work period.

I learned that teamwork is important because complaints and complements can both effect your long Gevity there.

My co- workers were positive towards the work and other people. I could see myself working with those type of people a long time.

The hardest part is on Fridays when I used to have to do extra for example: clean the deep fryer and other kitchen items because its the end of the week and I would have to make everything clean for Monday.

Free Lunch there were different food restaurants I had could go to within the hospital.
Pros
Benefits: perscriptions drugs, dental, parking
Cons
Can't discuss work hours due to kitchen regulations.
Poor
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto16 November 2015
I worked in the OR as a Unit Secretary worst job of my life. Back stabbing gossiping co-workers who smiled in your face one minute and brought false information about you to the manager the next minute. Disgusting work environment a bunch of cliques especially among the female Nurses and Unit Secretaries. Hospitals should be a culture of patient safety not sure how this can occur effectively when Nurses in the OR department are rude and disrespectful towards each other and there is an underlying systemic issue of a toxic work environment and mistrust among OR colleagues. The main issue is poor management, the management skills and techniques are outdated and underdeveloped and it should be a mandated requirement as part of their performance appraisal to have their skills reviewed and upgraded annually.
Pros
Cons
Toxic Work Environment
Good workplace
Senior Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON27 October 2015
Healthy working environment. Manager is very helpful and accommodating. Willing to communicate, offers flexible hours. always open to communication regarding effective changes to complete workload faster and efficiently.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
No regular hours
Productive and Accessible Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 June 2015
A typical day is caring for clients from diverse populations with various health issues. The work is challenging and fast- paced. Management and coworkers are very supportive and optimistic. NYGH is a great learning environment and allows for opportunities to grow. The most enjoyable part of day is helping clients and putting a smile on patients' and families' faces.
Pros
Supportive Coworkers
Nice place for education
Clinical Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2015
The environment of work is pleasant and the staff plays a big role in team work. I only work there as a student.
Being a student my role was to learn first, work in a team with various nurses and independently.
Enjoyable work place
General Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2015
NYGH is a diverse cultural environment that is enjoyable to work in.
It offers many opportunities for education and support.
I have very much enjoyed my work experience here.
Great Hospital, diverse cultures
Booking Clerk-MRI (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
My time at NYGH was short only because it was a one year contract but during that year I learned so much. There I was able to interact with co workers of different departments and learn so much about the hospital setting versus a clinical setting. A typical day took me all over the radiology department because I would need to cover the x-ray department lunches.

I really enjoyed meeting so many different people of different cultures and just learning new things.
Cons
Shift work

North York General Hospital Reviews by Location