North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

Very supportive and education based employment
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2016
I enjoy coming o work .If there is a problem we all are able to communicate and work out our problems. I feel privileged to be able to come into this work daily and increase my knowledge base as well as look after the clients. The employees here have gone out of their way to assist the patients and also be supportive to their family. We involve family in their care.
I was able to communicate with management professionally about anything that is of concern on the unit and we would all work things out.
There is also room for advancement in this profession and we are supported to go back to school.
Ive been employed with NYGH for approx 20 years and I am happy that I will work for numerous years ahead.
Professionally we are here for our patients.
Pros
Supportive upper management and co workers
Cons
at times environment can be violent
Unstable job with unsafe working conditions.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 February 2017
Enjoyed working with peers and clients. No job security and unsafe working environment. When I left there were eight injured employees on my unit alone and several complaints to the Ministry of Labour. The union was generally ineffective in helping employees.
Pros
Enjoy working with peers and clients.
Cons
No job security and unsafe working environment.
Excellent workplace that truly cared about the wellbeing of their employees
SARS Screener (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
-screening people for SARS.
-I love working in a fast paced environment.
-The management team treated us with respect and valued us
-Co-workers were great; we all got along
-hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day.
-working and interacting with people; and taking peoples temperature
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
nothing
Excellent Place for Work life balance
Practical Extern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
NYGH is the best place for work life balance. Staff are so cooperative. They give full exposure for learning experience. As a student I learn a lot from NYGH. It was lifetime memorable time which I cannot forgot.
Worst Employer
RN (Former Employee) –  .26 August 2016
North York General Hospital is the worst employer I've ever had. Management is unfair, focused on budgeting and finding ways to minimize budget, volume over quality. If management does not like you, they will find a way to wean you out of the department systematically. I have been through multiple departments thinking things will change - but they didn't. A lot of inter-colleague backstabbing and bullying; from my experiences, new hires often quit from bullying, cliques, management stating they would be supportive but actually aren't, and overwhelming patient loads. I suggest staying away from this place if you're looking for supportive management, and having an employer who truly cares about you.
What a typical day at is like.
PERSONAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 January 2017
When you arrive at work for you shift, you are giving a general report of the patient from your co- worker and what is required by the nursing staff during the rest of you shift. You introduce yourself ti the patient and ask them their name and as well informing them if they need anything to let you know and you can provide it for them.

If I every have an issue with a patient or my job, my manager has an open door policy so we can see her about anything at anytime.

The hardest part of my job would be not knowing ht type of patient you might get and figured out their needs are because you want to provide the best care possible for them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patient have a full recovery enabling them to go home.
Pros
Being to able to provide service to people in need.
Cons
Patients not able to recover from their illness.
Productive and rewarding enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto22 October 2016
Amazing place to be apart of and extremely rewarding. Hardest part - none. Management is very supportive. Learned various management and administrative skills.
Very nice working in a Hospital environment.
System Support Agent (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 February 2017
It is a very nice place to work. It is a team work environment people are there to help each other and want to do others to be a success in their future.
I am working there as a CO-OP student and gaining professional knowledge by the professionals workers.
Pros
Working as a team
fun and friendly environment
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
it is a fun, caring and friendly environment to work. compassionate staff working for the benefit of their patients. great work ethic and protocol are enforced through out the hospital.
Pros
friendly and welcoming environment
Productive and fulfilling
Art therapist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 April 2016
A typical day at work is about knowing what the schedule is for the day as it changes daily. What I learned is how to be flexible and always be ready for any changes.
The Management team and co-workers are pretty mellow and always willing to help others.
The hardest part of my job is that work is never done, you can start something wonderful and you don't get to complete your task somebody else finishes it for you due to shift change.
The most enjoyable part of y day is not the fact that I'm clocking out it is the mere joy of seeing the beautiful smile on each patients faces is I would say the most rewarding thing of all.
Poor
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto16 November 2015
I worked in the OR as a Unit Secretary worst job of my life. Back stabbing gossiping co-workers who smiled in your face one minute and brought false information about you to the manager the next minute. Disgusting work environment a bunch of cliques especially among the female Nurses and Unit Secretaries. Hospitals should be a culture of patient safety not sure how this can occur effectively when Nurses in the OR department are rude and disrespectful towards each other and there is an underlying systemic issue of a toxic work environment and mistrust among OR colleagues. The main issue is poor management, the management skills and techniques are outdated and underdeveloped and it should be a mandated requirement as part of their performance appraisal to have their skills reviewed and upgraded annually.
Pros
Cons
Toxic Work Environment
No review
Pharmacy student (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 December 2016
Worked as APPE student there so no real review can be performed; was not employed there; was there for APPE requirement which is toward studentship
Great placement
Registered Practical Nurse Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
I was taught how to perfect the art of organization and prioritization through my placement at North York General Hospital by treating patients with complex and unpredictable life-threatening conditions.
Enjoyable workplace with an exceptional nursing staff
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Fast paced environment
responsible for ADLs, mobility and medication administration on a daily basis.
Patient and family centered care is a top priority.
Management is kind, approachable, and productive
Co workers are friendly and approachable, making the work day easy when you need help.
The hardest part of my job is the palliative aspect, watching families struggle with letting go of a loved one.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working together with the interdisciplinary team, as well as the family and patients to achieve patients goals.
Pros
Family and patient centered care
SUPER MICRO-MANAGEMENT
NOT WANT TO REMEBER (Former Employee) –  GENERAL7 April 2014
TELLING Employees OF JOB CUT WHILE DOING UNNECESSARY AND COSTLY CHANGES LIKE CHANGE IN HOSPITAL SIGN, GIVING MANAGEMENT RAISE AND BONUSES.

Complete micromanagement.
Getting full-time job means they thing they own employee.
Non trustworthy mangers, speaks complete different behind your back.
Pros
good benefits, comparatively stable job
Cons
Unhealthy and stressful job culture, To increase productivity their subtle force to take short cuts
System Analyst
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
Worked there as a student consultant and system analyst at medical imaging center. It was one of the best experiences. Managers were extremely helpful and understanding and had meeting with the engineering team whenever we asked for.
Kitchen duties
Health Management, Leslie and Sheppard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
I was a porter/general help. I time in when I first come in to work, put on an apron and go directly to the dish room because the job is not complete if I leave unclean items in there or if something isn't finished by the end of my 5 hour work period.

I learned that teamwork is important because complaints and complements can both effect your long Gevity there.

My co- workers were positive towards the work and other people. I could see myself working with those type of people a long time.

The hardest part is on Fridays when I used to have to do extra for example: clean the deep fryer and other kitchen items because its the end of the week and I would have to make everything clean for Monday.

Free Lunch there were different food restaurants I had could go to within the hospital.
Pros
Benefits: perscriptions drugs, dental, parking
Cons
Can't discuss work hours due to kitchen regulations.
A good place to start
Nutrition Volunteer for Diabetes Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Norht York Hospital was excellent place to begin to gain volunteer experience in my field. While volunteering in the diabetes centre, I gained skills that have allowed me to pursue and succeed in more challenging settings.
Provided the great opportunity of Radiography and CT scan and professional development.
Medical Radiation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2014
North york General Hospital a Leading employer and family environment workplace where i enjoyed challenging and rewarding carrier performing all radiography and CT(Non contrast Head) implementing proper procedures Health,Safety,and radiation protection to the patients with respect and dignity to their culture.It's an equal opportunity work place for everyone providing compensation and benefits to all employee including pension plan.
The challenging part of the job was balancing to treat emerge patients and perform CT examination of prior appointed patients at same time using the accountibility and experience with communication and team work with other staff with the great outcome.
Being an immigrant and english as a second language I had difficultyto understand the accent of the people at the begining so to cross that barrier I joined some language learning classes and it helped me to get throgh it.
Pros
Lunch and learn programs for professional development
Cons
Emerge patients hevy workflow and duties requested by the supervisor.
Good place to gain experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Great team, mostly electronic system which is helpful most of the time, very sick patients and not enough nurses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North York General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

North York General Hospital Reviews by Location