North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great hospital
RPN (Current Employee), mental health departmentSeptember 7, 2014
Healthy and fun environment. great team work and supportive management
Student Nurse Clinical Experience
Student Registered Nurse (Former Employee), North York, ONJuly 16, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: long day
Once a week, for 10 hours in the day, I would be at the Geriatrics Acute Care Unit at North York General Hospital from 7am-3:30pm, followed by a 2 hour post-conference with my Clinical Group and Clinical Instructor from Seneca College. During the shift, I would be assigned to a Nurse and would meet and help in providing patient-centered care to their – more... patients. I assisted with taking Vital Signs (temperature, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, pulse, respirations), Feeding, Grooming, Transferring, Bed-baths. My groupmates and I would sometimes help each other if needed. We all co-operated well and listened to our instructor as she guided us very intelligently. I learned so much about the importance of communicating with patients and making them feel well-cared for. I enjoyed seeing my patients in a good mood, knowing that someone was there for them and paying attention to their needs. I sincerely want to be a nurse, but would enjoy any job in the medical field. I want to expand my knowledge and skills to build a long-lasting career in the future. – less
I Love it
Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
I love volunteering there so much. I want to go back again. It's a great experience.
Great Work Place
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Mental HealthJune 24, 2014
Great work place. Staff are great. Great management. I love what I do which is helping people.
Stepping Stone
Security Guard (Current Employee), North York, ONJune 10, 2014
Pros: no traffic going to work
Cons: lack of sleep and living on different schedule than family.
Working the late night shift is challenging at times. Trying to find a balance with work, family and mental health takes much discipline.

My co-workers are very knowledgeable in the security field and are very willing offer suggestions.

I enjoy the challenges and diversity of working in a hospital. I enjoy meeting different people and persevering – more... through problems that arise.
Although there are some difficult situations and outcomes, I try to learn and grow from them to the best of my ability. – less
Nice People. Great Management
Cleaner (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 30, 2014
Wonderful place to work. Managers were nice and flexible. Co-workers were awesome and nice. good training. Good place to start in a hospital.
SUPER MICRO-MANAGEMENT
NOT WANT TO REMEBER (Former Employee), GENERALApril 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits, comparatively stable job
Cons: unhealthy and stressful job culture, to increase productivity their subtle force to take short cuts
TELLING Employees OF JOB CUT WHILE DOING UNNECESSARY AND COSTLY CHANGES LIKE CHANGE IN HOSPITAL SIGN, GIVING MANAGEMENT RAISE AND BONUSES.

Complete micromanagement.
Getting full-time job means they thing they own employee.
Non trustworthy mangers, speaks complete different behind your back.
A fun place to work
Staff Nurse, Surgical Unit (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches @ times
Cons: high staff/patient ratio
An institution that cares about continuous learning. Team oriented atmosphere.
Hardworking and passionate
Pharmacy Technician Student (Former Employee), torontoJanuary 12, 2014
great expereince and good place to work.
i have learned alot
changing and challenged
Clinical Nurse Educator, Surgery (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 24, 2013
Pros: opportunity to change work environment
Cons: long hours, continuous uncoordinated change
lack of direction allows you to create your own daily schedule however depending on your boss this can be good or very bad.
Coworkers are friendly and respectful.
Good environment
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), North York, OnDecember 13, 2013
A compassionate team who really cares about the clients they work with.
fun to work with my friends
ER, Emergency room Staff Nurse (Current Employee), toronto,ontarioJuly 15, 2013
busy area, fun working with my friends,good and efficient doctor.
Highly professional staff
Coop Student (Former Employee), North York, ONMay 22, 2013
Working at NYGH was a really good learning experience for me. Most reliable and helpful staff I have every seen.
I really didnot find myself in any awkward situation at any point of time.
Everyday right from the beginning of the day, I was aware of what I was suppose to do throughout the day.
hard,experiance worker
general x-ray technologist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2012
Pros: pension plan, job security, advance learning..
Cons: need more money(morgage, paying for 2 daughters university...)
I am doing my job with a lot of pleasure.Nice team work.Never complains about my work.Mutual pleasure to work with NYGH.
This is the most miserable place in the known world
Administration (Former Employee), GeneralNovember 14, 2012
Cons: everything
The managers are completely ignorant of operations and how to run a business. They also hate any sort of criticism and new ideas. The only people that get promoted are sycophants that are equally useless and will not challenge authority. Coworkers only think about their own interests and will fight you tooth and nail in order to avoid work.

Bottom – more... line this is an awful place to work that will kill your soul and cause you to become a bitter and resentful person. – less
I enjoy working in the long term care
Dietary aide (Current Employee), Toronto ontarioSeptember 28, 2012
Pros: dietary
Cons: need 20 hours and up
As a Dietary Aide I have over five years experience in the child care and Long term care environment with food preparation, serve and delivering food to resident.

As an organized and hard working individual with over five years experience in Child care and Long term care I believe my qualifications match very well with your requirements. My strengths – more... also include independent working and working as a team with excellent communication skills. Being a very confident person when under pressure, my ability to assess client’s needs, inspire co-operation and achieve deadlines on a timely basis. I have currently completed my food service worker course at Centennial College. I am interested in expanding my skill within Food Services & Nutrition deportment. – less
Peoples Person
Dietetic Attendant (Former Employee), North York, ONSeptember 20, 2012
Typical work day is my first day meeting new patients. Learned, how to handle older people when they get angry. Management is very friendly and the co-workers are the same. Hardest part of the job is, if someone died or hurt them self. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and listen to older people what they saying.
fast paced,educational and fun
Line Cook (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2012
Pros: good staff and discounted lunches
Cons: far from home
great staff,great management and fast paced. Handled serving mulitple customers at one time, did prep and clean up
Busy and productive working environment
Office Assistant - Volunteer (Former Employee), Branson SiteMay 2, 2014
Pros: free breakfast & lunch, exposure to a hospital environment, gaining experience
- knowledge of security passcode to enter volunteer/employee room each morning
- greet the employees who are already at work
- begin preparing cataract forms and charts for patients (in chronological order by time of appointment)
- direct patients to surgical waiting room
- replenish charts & supplies when number count is running low

About North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital (NYGH) is one of Toronto's many hospitals and serves the area of north central Toronto (formerly North – Read more