North York General Hospital Employee Reviews

Very productive workplace
intern (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 March 2017
Very positive workplace, lot's of learning opportunity, excellent work culture, good management. The hardest part night shifts, a typical work day is very busy, positive final results.
Unstable job with unsafe working conditions.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 February 2017
Enjoyed working with peers and clients. No job security and unsafe working environment. When I left there were eight injured employees on my unit alone and several complaints to the Ministry of Labour. The union was generally ineffective in helping employees.
Pros
Enjoy working with peers and clients.
Cons
No job security and unsafe working environment.
Very nice working in a Hospital environment.
System Support Agent (Former Employee) –  North York, ON11 February 2017
It is a very nice place to work. It is a team work environment people are there to help each other and want to do others to be a success in their future.
I am working there as a CO-OP student and gaining professional knowledge by the professionals workers.
Pros
Working as a team
Cons
What a typical day at is like.
PERSONAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 January 2017
When you arrive at work for you shift, you are giving a general report of the patient from your co- worker and what is required by the nursing staff during the rest of you shift. You introduce yourself ti the patient and ask them their name and as well informing them if they need anything to let you know and you can provide it for them.

If I every have an issue with a patient or my job, my manager has an open door policy so we can see her about anything at anytime.

The hardest part of my job would be not knowing ht type of patient you might get and figured out their needs are because you want to provide the best care possible for them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patient have a full recovery enabling them to go home.
Pros
Being to able to provide service to people in need.
Cons
Patients not able to recover from their illness.
fun and friendly environment
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
it is a fun, caring and friendly environment to work. compassionate staff working for the benefit of their patients. great work ethic and protocol are enforced through out the hospital.
Pros
friendly and welcoming environment
Excellent Place for Work life balance
Practical Extern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
NYGH is the best place for work life balance. Staff are so cooperative. They give full exposure for learning experience. As a student I learn a lot from NYGH. It was lifetime memorable time which I cannot forgot.
No review
Pharmacy student (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 December 2016
Worked as APPE student there so no real review can be performed; was not employed there; was there for APPE requirement which is toward studentship
Excellent workplace that truly cared about the wellbeing of their employees
SARS Screener (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
-screening people for SARS.
-I love working in a fast paced environment.
-The management team treated us with respect and valued us
-Co-workers were great; we all got along
-hardest part of the job was being on your feet all day.
-working and interacting with people; and taking peoples temperature
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
nothing
Productive and rewarding enviroment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto22 October 2016
Amazing place to be apart of and extremely rewarding. Hardest part - none. Management is very supportive. Learned various management and administrative skills.
Great placement
Registered Practical Nurse Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
I was taught how to perfect the art of organization and prioritization through my placement at North York General Hospital by treating patients with complex and unpredictable life-threatening conditions.
System Analyst
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2016
Worked there as a student consultant and system analyst at medical imaging center. It was one of the best experiences. Managers were extremely helpful and understanding and had meeting with the engineering team whenever we asked for.
Worst Employer
RN (Former Employee) –  .26 August 2016
North York General Hospital is the worst employer I've ever had. Management is unfair, focused on budgeting and finding ways to minimize budget, volume over quality. If management does not like you, they will find a way to wean you out of the department systematically. I have been through multiple departments thinking things will change - but they didn't. A lot of inter-colleague backstabbing and bullying; from my experiences, new hires often quit from bullying, cliques, management stating they would be supportive but actually aren't, and overwhelming patient loads. I suggest staying away from this place if you're looking for supportive management, and having an employer who truly cares about you.
Very supportive and education based employment
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2016
I enjoy coming o work .If there is a problem we all are able to communicate and work out our problems. I feel privileged to be able to come into this work daily and increase my knowledge base as well as look after the clients. The employees here have gone out of their way to assist the patients and also be supportive to their family. We involve family in their care.
I was able to communicate with management professionally about anything that is of concern on the unit and we would all work things out.
There is also room for advancement in this profession and we are supported to go back to school.
Ive been employed with NYGH for approx 20 years and I am happy that I will work for numerous years ahead.
Professionally we are here for our patients.
Pros
Supportive upper management and co workers
Cons
at times environment can be violent
Good place to gain experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Great team, mostly electronic system which is helpful most of the time, very sick patients and not enough nurses.
A good place to start
Nutrition Volunteer for Diabetes Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Norht York Hospital was excellent place to begin to gain volunteer experience in my field. While volunteering in the diabetes centre, I gained skills that have allowed me to pursue and succeed in more challenging settings.
senior
ASSISTANT EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2016
senior health center was a goo dplace to worl although the nurses did not care about the pationts that much and were not checking on them.
Productive and fulfilling
Art therapist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON19 April 2016
A typical day at work is about knowing what the schedule is for the day as it changes daily. What I learned is how to be flexible and always be ready for any changes.
The Management team and co-workers are pretty mellow and always willing to help others.
The hardest part of my job is that work is never done, you can start something wonderful and you don't get to complete your task somebody else finishes it for you due to shift change.
The most enjoyable part of y day is not the fact that I'm clocking out it is the mere joy of seeing the beautiful smile on each patients faces is I would say the most rewarding thing of all.
Job is fine to long of drive to get to work
assist patient or assign any other requests (Current Employee) –  North York, ON12 April 2016
My rewiew is average as to the job I was doing
Very fast paced dispatch area
Need to folow instruction as per nurses request
Need to be acurate with detail as it involves patients vital info
Enjoyable workplace with an exceptional nursing staff
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Fast paced environment
responsible for ADLs, mobility and medication administration on a daily basis.
Patient and family centered care is a top priority.
Management is kind, approachable, and productive
Co workers are friendly and approachable, making the work day easy when you need help.
The hardest part of my job is the palliative aspect, watching families struggle with letting go of a loved one.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working together with the interdisciplinary team, as well as the family and patients to achieve patients goals.
Pros
Family and patient centered care
Excellent team players
Medical Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Genetics Department16 January 2016
North York General Hospital is my SECOND family. There are days where they feel like my ONE AND ONLY family. I have complete satisfaction working at NYGH as I have never seeked to look elsewhere in any other department. Our manager is the greatest manager I have ever had. She is open, fair, honest and most of all we are treated equal. The only hardest part of the job is because we don't pick and choose our family.. some members may not be having such great of a day, where "working like a team" needs to be reminded. But other than that, every aspect of my job is enjoyable. I love to make a difference in all the lives I am blessed to be a part of. Making a difference is what NYGH does and for that, I am so very proud of this organization. I have been employed almost 18 years, and as much as I look forward to retiring, I do not look forward to NOT being a part of this amazing team we have. Hence, I am literally super excited to come into work and be the change I wish to see in this world and specifically in the health care field.
Pros
Family setting
Cons
We don"t always pick our family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North York General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

North York General Hospital Reviews by Location