North York General Hospital

North York General Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

Poor
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  TorontoNovember 16, 2015
I worked in the OR as a Unit Secretary worst job of my life. Back stabbing gossiping co-workers who smiled in your face one minute and brought false information about you to the manager the next minute. Disgusting work environment a bunch of cliques especially among the female Nurses and Unit Secretaries. Hospitals should be a culture of patient safety not sure how this can occur effectively when Nurses in the OR department are rude and disrespectful towards each other and there is an underlying systemic issue of a toxic work environment and mistrust among OR colleagues. The main issue is poor management, the management skills and techniques are outdated and underdeveloped and it should be a mandated requirement as part of their performance appraisal to have their skills reviewed and upgraded annually.
Pros
Cons
Toxic Work Environment
Enjoyable workplace with an exceptional nursing staff
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Fast paced environment
responsible for ADLs, mobility and medication administration on a daily basis.
Patient and family centered care is a top priority.
Management is kind, approachable, and productive
Co workers are friendly and approachable, making the work day easy when you need help.
The hardest part of my job is the palliative aspect, watching families struggle with letting go of a loved one.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working together with the interdisciplinary team, as well as the family and patients to achieve patients goals.
Pros
Family and patient centered care
Productive and fulfilling
Art therapist (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 19, 2016
A typical day at work is about knowing what the schedule is for the day as it changes daily. What I learned is how to be flexible and always be ready for any changes.
The Management team and co-workers are pretty mellow and always willing to help others.
The hardest part of my job is that work is never done, you can start something wonderful and you don't get to complete your task somebody else finishes it for you due to shift change.
The most enjoyable part of y day is not the fact that I'm clocking out it is the mere joy of seeing the beautiful smile on each patients faces is I would say the most rewarding thing of all.
Kitchen duties
Health Management, Leslie and Sheppard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
I was a porter/general help. I time in when I first come in to work, put on an apron and go directly to the dish room because the job is not complete if I leave unclean items in there or if something isn't finished by the end of my 5 hour work period.

I learned that teamwork is important because complaints and complements can both effect your long Gevity there.

My co- workers were positive towards the work and other people. I could see myself working with those type of people a long time.

The hardest part is on Fridays when I used to have to do extra for example: clean the deep fryer and other kitchen items because its the end of the week and I would have to make everything clean for Monday.

Free Lunch there were different food restaurants I had could go to within the hospital.
Pros
Benefits: perscriptions drugs, dental, parking
Cons
Can't discuss work hours due to kitchen regulations.
Excellent team players
Medical Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Genetics DepartmentJanuary 16, 2016
North York General Hospital is my SECOND family. There are days where they feel like my ONE AND ONLY family. I have complete satisfaction working at NYGH as I have never seeked to look elsewhere in any other department. Our manager is the greatest manager I have ever had. She is open, fair, honest and most of all we are treated equal. The only hardest part of the job is because we don't pick and choose our family.. some members may not be having such great of a day, where "working like a team" needs to be reminded. But other than that, every aspect of my job is enjoyable. I love to make a difference in all the lives I am blessed to be a part of. Making a difference is what NYGH does and for that, I am so very proud of this organization. I have been employed almost 18 years, and as much as I look forward to retiring, I do not look forward to NOT being a part of this amazing team we have. Hence, I am literally super excited to come into work and be the change I wish to see in this world and specifically in the health care field.
Pros
FAMILY SETTING
Cons
WE DON"T ALWAYS PICK OUR FAMILY
A good place to start
Nutrition Volunteer for Diabetes Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
Norht York Hospital was excellent place to begin to gain volunteer experience in my field. While volunteering in the diabetes centre, I gained skills that have allowed me to pursue and succeed in more challenging settings.
Good place to gain experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2016
Great team, mostly electronic system which is helpful most of the time, very sick patients and not enough nurses.
Job is fine to long of drive to get to work
assist patient or assign any other requests (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 12, 2016
My rewiew is average as to the job I was doing
Very fast paced dispatch area
Need to folow instruction as per nurses request
Need to be acurate with detail as it involves patients vital info
senior
ASSISTANT EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 8, 2016
senior health center was a goo dplace to worl although the nurses did not care about the pationts that much and were not checking on them.
SUPER MICRO-MANAGEMENT
NOT WANT TO REMEBER (Former Employee) –  GENERALApril 7, 2014
TELLING Employees OF JOB CUT WHILE DOING UNNECESSARY AND COSTLY CHANGES LIKE CHANGE IN HOSPITAL SIGN, GIVING MANAGEMENT RAISE AND BONUSES.

Complete micromanagement.
Getting full-time job means they thing they own employee.
Non trustworthy mangers, speaks complete different behind your back.
Pros
good benefits, comparatively stable job
Cons
unhealthy and stressful job culture, to increase productivity their subtle force to take short cuts
excellent health service with good reputation
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  North York, ONApril 23, 2015
comfortable environment
very nice coworker
excellent health service
respect ethics and different cultures
keep information very confidential
The patient health is the most important issue
Pros
free parking
Productive and Accessible Environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJune 19, 2015
A typical day is caring for clients from diverse populations with various health issues. The work is challenging and fast- paced. Management and coworkers are very supportive and optimistic. NYGH is a great learning environment and allows for opportunities to grow. The most enjoyable part of day is helping clients and putting a smile on patients' and families' faces.
Pros
Supportive Coworkers
Provided the great opportunity of Radiography and CT scan and professional development.
Medical Radiation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2014
North york General Hospital a Leading employer and family environment workplace where i enjoyed challenging and rewarding carrier performing all radiography and CT(Non contrast Head) implementing proper procedures Health,Safety,and radiation protection to the patients with respect and dignity to their culture.It's an equal opportunity work place for everyone providing compensation and benefits to all employee including pension plan.
The challenging part of the job was balancing to treat emerge patients and perform CT examination of prior appointed patients at same time using the accountibility and experience with communication and team work with other staff with the great outcome.
Being an immigrant and english as a second language I had difficultyto understand the accent of the people at the begining so to cross that barrier I joined some language learning classes and it helped me to get throgh it.
Pros
lunch and learn programs for professional development
Cons
emerge patients hevy workflow and duties requested by the supervisor.
Great Hospital, diverse cultures
Booking Clerk-MRI (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
My time at NYGH was short only because it was a one year contract but during that year I learned so much. There I was able to interact with co workers of different departments and learn so much about the hospital setting versus a clinical setting. A typical day took me all over the radiology department because I would need to cover the x-ray department lunches.

I really enjoyed meeting so many different people of different cultures and just learning new things.
Cons
Shift work
Good workplace
Senior Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  North York, ONOctober 27, 2015
Healthy working environment. Manager is very helpful and accommodating. Willing to communicate, offers flexible hours. always open to communication regarding effective changes to complete workload faster and efficiently.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
No regular hours
Student Nurse Clinical Experience
Student Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJuly 16, 2014
Once a week, for 10 hours in the day, I would be at the Geriatrics Acute Care Unit at North York General Hospital from 7am-3:30pm, followed by a 2 hour post-conference with my Clinical Group and Clinical Instructor from Seneca College. During the shift, I would be assigned to a Nurse and would meet and help in providing patient-centered care to their patients. I assisted with taking Vital Signs (temperature, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, pulse, respirations), Feeding, Grooming, Transferring, Bed-baths. My groupmates and I would sometimes help each other if needed. We all co-operated well and listened to our instructor as she guided us very intelligently. I learned so much about the importance of communicating with patients and making them feel well-cared for. I enjoyed seeing my patients in a good mood, knowing that someone was there for them and paying attention to their needs. I sincerely want to be a nurse, but would enjoy any job in the medical field. I want to expand my knowledge and skills to build a long-lasting career in the future.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
long day
Enjoyable, friendly and caring environment
Administrations (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 23, 2015
I enjoy working at this particular hospital environment because of its warm, welcoming and advanced patient care ethics. My superiors are a pleasure and very professional as well as my fellow volunteers.
Hoping that I might find a permanent career opportunity.
Pros
extensive work experience obtained
Cons
not enough work hours
Peoples Person
Dietetic Attendant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONSeptember 20, 2012
Typical work day is my first day meeting new patients. Learned, how to handle older people when they get angry. Management is very friendly and the co-workers are the same. Hardest part of the job is, if someone died or hurt them self. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and listen to older people what they saying.
Enjoyable work place
General Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2015
NYGH is a diverse cultural environment that is enjoyable to work in.
It offers many opportunities for education and support.
I have very much enjoyed my work experience here.
Nice place for education
Clinical Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 28, 2015
The environment of work is pleasant and the staff plays a big role in team work. I only work there as a student.
Being a student my role was to learn first, work in a team with various nurses and independently.

North York General Hospital Reviews by Location