North Island College Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
A huge waste of taxpayer money
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC8 July 2016
This is one of the worst examples of government waste I've ever experienced. Too many unmotivated employees, completely bullied and frightened by entrenched admin and management. Easily the worst culture of any place I've ever worked. Fear, mistrust, waste all over the place. This organization needs some serious review and clean up. Very sad example of what our public institutions have become. Not somewhere you'd want to work if you have any talent or desire to grow professionally. Perfect for those just passing time, with no eye on the future, or real care for the power of education, other than to get a pay check.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Terrible mismanagement, overly political, no room for innovation, mediocrity (at best) rules.
Best co-workers
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC9 July 2015
A typical work day involved stalking returned books in shelfs, processing new books. Making calls to students and instructors on requested books and articles from other libraries and filing them for pickup. Ensuring that books in shelfs were arranged in order and maintaining order and cleanliness in the library was also part of my responsibility. I learned a lot from working at the library, including problem solving especially with students and management. Organizing events being my favourite, we had monthly themes and it was my responsibility to organize them. I improved my interactive skills from dealing with both the faculty and the students. I couldn't ask for better co-workers, they were professional, supportive and made the working environment homely and what would have been challenging was made easy.
Pros
Supportive co-workers