North Country Catering Employee Reviews

WORST Company to work for
Camp Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 August 2017
As my first time working for a camp job and shift/rotation job, this company was the worst in employee support and working with management. I do not recommend you working for this company they will not support you as an employee.
Pros
Free room and food
Cons
Enjoy my years of employment with the company
Dining Room Attendant/General Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
I 'loved' my job with this company !!! Learned so much, made amazing long lasting friendships but like a lot of catering companies in the Oil patch your work status is never secure.

4 years with North Country Catering as made me who I am today; hard working, eager to please. will go above and beyond my roll of duty if needed, a strong and independent individual.

My 10 hour shift started at 2am with a breakfast set up for 850+ guest every day. When the service line opened at 4:30am it was consist refilling and restocking everything needed for a breakfast meal along with refilling and restocking for the bag up take out lunch that was offered. When breakfast was closed at 7:30am, clean up happened along with refilling and restocking for the hot lunch served at noon.
Pros
free lodging and food for the rotation of 21 days
Cons
long rotation 21 days - 7 days off
a good place to get the camp work experience
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 June 2017
Your day will depend on how full the camp is. It can go from slow to exhausting. This is an old school management. Reasonable wage for a non union co.
Pros
Able to interact with different ethnicities.
Cons
Not a normal life.
Good company but unorganized
3rd Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 May 2017
Staff members were great when I was there, but not now.. Too many
problems and micro management issues. A massive lay off happened. A lot of great staff got cut. Management was nice, but didn't communicate with staff very well. They would leave everyone up in the air with jobs, client numbers and would treat some staff with disrespect with no support through the hard times. The corporate Chef was always creating a hard to work in atmosphere. Very strict! A lot of staff do not like him because he wouldn't look at you while speaking to you and he would constantly look down on you as a person. The quality of food was alright. They had a lot of changes (Staff cuts and new people) happen in a short time and it created a job security issue for the rest of us. The quality of food also changed because of that from OK to needs improvement. There was no excitement with the products they used. A lot of breaks were worked straight through to handle the work load. No appreciation or recognition or compensation was gave to accommodate staff for their hard work.

Overall I had a good time working there because the staff all went through the same struggle with management so we understood each other. But, the lay off and management issues created a lot of people to quit and disrespect the company.
Pros
Money and Staff were all friends.
Cons
Disrespect and bad atmosphere created by management and the corporate chef, Lay offs, new staff all the time and working through breaks with no compensations.
Good if you are desperate for work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB22 March 2017
A housekeepers typical day consists of participation in the morning safety meetings, then you go to your assigned dorm and collect all towels. Throw them in the laundry and start cleaning each room. Make beds (change linen as necessary), clean showers, sinks, dust, vacuum,etc. If there are check-outs that morning (and there always are) then you strip and clean the entire room. Throughout the morning, you go back and forth to the laundry room between rooms to wash/dry towels. Depending on your camp, you might work your 10 hours in one shift - or do a split shift to accommodate the night shift workers.

Its a no-brainer job and you meet some quality people. Having the right supervisor can definitely make or break this job for you because having the wrong one can make life miserable.

Upper management definitely needs to get their act together. But I think at this point that is a non-issue. They used to have about 8 camps - and from my understanding, now they are down to one.
Pros
The people you meet, the friends you make, free lodging and wifi
Cons
Staff are expendable, long rotation (21/7), lack of job security
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 March 2017
The main thing about this work is that my English improve a lot while I was responding to the client need.
friendly staff
Head Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 February 2017
everyone was very welcoming and great to work with
always very helpful if need help, everyone came together as a team when needed .. hardest time when short staffed but overall awesome work place
Hire anyone!
housekeeping attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
Treated like garbage! Backstabbing, spying, using people! very few Caucasians unless your management! Management where I was had huge chip on shoulder, let go after probation....no reason of course!!!!
Pros
freinds
Cons
management
team work
Housekeeping/camp attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 September 2016
what a great place to work very friend menangement ,who listen to you all the time ready to help whenever you need and the team work ,it,s just wowow.
Pros
free meals and room
work safe
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2016
food safe procedures, cleaning wares, filling msds sheets safe procedure. Learning new stations in kitchen was most enjoyable. Ensuring all client needs are met in food area settings.The hardest part was dealing high clientele. Most enjoyable part was my coworkers morale.
Pros
staying fit
Cons
away from famiy
camp life
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2016
Working 10 hours a day, lots to do so usually the night goes quick. Camp is not for everyone as people miss out on life in the real world but we sacrifice that to make and save money until we decide to move on and do something more meaningful
Pros
save money
Cons
long shifts
it was a fun job to be at
Housekeeping/camp attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2016
this job was a fun job but like most with families to maintain (ex. children at home) this is a travel job in witch one would work in a camp setting and not be able to maintain life at home while on the road. But all in all was a decent hourly pay and a good take home cheque, days out were about 21 at a time. and the management and co-workers were fabulous to work with.
Camp Enviroment
General Labourer -Camp (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2015
I really enjoyed working here. I did everything that involved general labour duties, That included helping in the kitchen as a prep to doing house keeping on a different rotation. I worked 20/10 rotation. People were very friendly and the staff was very helping. Hardest part of the job was getting use to camp but you catch on. I learned to compromise and be a leader and work in hostile environments.
Pros
free food-free living
Cons
no social life
A job to get camp experience
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 October 2015
If you are looking to get camp experience but the larger companies are not getting back to you then this is the place because they will hire anyone. That is if you can tolerate co-workers and clients that have a high school mentality including teasing,backstabbing and gossiping. Incompetent managers and supervisors with obvious personality disorders who take out their frustrations on you and steadily increase your work load just too see how much you can take.
This is a non union company as well so it runs it's HR not based on senority but old school who you know and how much they like you,no matter how bad you may be at your job. The food if you can call it that is mostly processed garbage cooked up by people that couldn't cut it at McDonalds. You are always worrying about job security as well because they have such a high employee turnover and are steadily losing contracts for camp services. The hours are long,10+
a day for 21 days then 8 off. The pay is not bad for non-unionized at least when I started but now with the economic situation that has changed too. If they are still hiring it is a good place to get your foot in the door and once there start making contacts with guests and such so you can move on to bigger and better opportunities.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
Piece work
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Kelowna B.C.4 October 2015
This was a demanding, pressure filled position, that I thrived in. I enjoyed the customer service side, was recognized often for my customer service skills. I enjoyed meeting new people everyday..
fast paced and busy, fun place to work
Second cook (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray22 April 2015
make soup ,prep for dinner, cook dinner for 400 people,serve dinner then close the kitchen
i learned a lot of cooking and time management here
my management was very good, really nice people
same goes for my co-workers
the hardest part about my job is that i don't do enough cooking
the most enjoyable time of the day is before service cooking the food
Pros
a'lot of learning
Cons
long service hours
Fun, relaxed enviorment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Conklin,ab17 February 2015
You would get up in the morning and have a meeting with the head housekeeper and get assigned your section to do for the day. you would then get your carts and make sure that you have enough supplies to complete your rooms. Then you would get going on the rooms and work at a pace and do what was required for the rooms.
My coworkers were good to work with and down time was good. Trying to get all the rooms done when short on staff was the hardest but when we worked as a team it got down usually. Team work was the best part.
Pros
The people you worked with
Cons
Being away from home for so long
Camp is Camp
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurrey13 December 2014
I worked for the company as a baker for 9 months. On three separate occasions in that time I was treated poorly by management. The way they treat employees is poor, and they seem to treat everyone as expendable rather than as an asset to the team. I wouldn't recommend this company. Poor management.
They need to rethink their whole management style or they will continue to loose employees and camps.
Pros
Money
Productive and fun workplace
General Helper/Sandwich Maker/2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2014
A typical day at work for a General Helper would be going to the dining room and making coffee, then making sure everything is fully stocked for service. During service continuing to restock the salad bar, as well as making sure there is juice and milk in the machines at all times and that there is always fresh coffee made for the clients. During the rush I'd also have to restock the sandwiches as they are practically flying off the shelves as the clients are rushing off to their job sites. After service we clean the tables and restock the condiments. Then we'd do the daily cleaning list which consists of things such as cleaning the ice cream machine,slushy machine, cappuccino machine, popcorn machine, and nacho machine. Then we would restock the pop and water, yogurt, and dessert coolers, and preparing for the next meal service. My coworkers were pleasant and hardworking. The hardest part of the job was predicting what would be training new General Helpers for the job, but it was also the most enjoyable part of the job because you get to make a new friend when teaching them the job, and for me training people was very rewarding.
Pros
The kitchen was like a family
housekeeper
House keeper (Former Employee) –  ft mac murray19 August 2014
this company is alright
has major pros n cons depending on coworkers and management
you were always worried about whether you had a job the next day
Pros
awards
Cons
poor mangement