North Country Catering Employee Reviews in Canada

it was a fun job to be at
Housekeeping/camp attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
this job was a fun job but like most with families to maintain (ex. children at home) this is a travel job in witch one would work in a camp setting and not be able to maintain life at home while on the road. But all in all was a decent hourly pay and a good take home cheque, days out were about 21 at a time. and the management and co-workers were fabulous to work with.
camp life
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2016
Working 10 hours a day, lots to do so usually the night goes quick. Camp is not for everyone as people miss out on life in the real world but we sacrifice that to make and save money until we decide to move on and do something more meaningful
Pros
save money
Cons
long shifts
Camp Enviroment
General Labourer -Camp (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 14, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. I did everything that involved general labour duties, That included helping in the kitchen as a prep to doing house keeping on a different rotation. I worked 20/10 rotation. People were very friendly and the staff was very helping. Hardest part of the job was getting use to camp but you catch on. I learned to compromise and be a leader and work in hostile environments.
Pros
free food-free living
Cons
no social life
Piece work
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Kelowna B.C.October 4, 2015
This was a demanding, pressure filled position, that I thrived in. I enjoyed the customer service side, was recognized often for my customer service skills. I enjoyed meeting new people everyday..
fast paced and busy, fun place to work
Second cook (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayApril 22, 2015
make soup ,prep for dinner, cook dinner for 400 people,serve dinner then close the kitchen
i learned a lot of cooking and time management here
my management was very good, really nice people
same goes for my co-workers
the hardest part about my job is that i don't do enough cooking
the most enjoyable time of the day is before service cooking the food
Pros
a'lot of learning
Cons
long service hours
Fun, relaxed enviorment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Conklin,abFebruary 17, 2015
You would get up in the morning and have a meeting with the head housekeeper and get assigned your section to do for the day. you would then get your carts and make sure that you have enough supplies to complete your rooms. Then you would get going on the rooms and work at a pace and do what was required for the rooms.
My coworkers were good to work with and down time was good. Trying to get all the rooms done when short on staff was the hardest but when we worked as a team it got down usually. Team work was the best part.
Pros
the people you worked with
Cons
being away from home for so long
Camp is Camp
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurreyDecember 13, 2014
I worked for the company as a baker for 9 months. On three separate occasions in that time I was treated poorly by management. The way they treat employees is poor, and they seem to treat everyone as expendable rather than as an asset to the team. I wouldn't recommend this company. Poor management.
They need to rethink their whole management style or they will continue to loose employees and camps.
Pros
money
Cons
management
A job to get camp experience
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 22, 2015
If you are looking to get camp experience but the larger companies are not getting back to you then this is the place because they will hire anyone. That is if you can tolerate co-workers and clients that have a high school mentality including teasing,backstabbing and gossiping. Incompetent managers and supervisors with obvious personality disorders who take out their frustrations on you and steadily increase your work load just too see how much you can take.
This is a non union company as well so it runs it's HR not based on senority but old school who you know and how much they like you,no matter how bad you may be at your job. The food if you can call it that is mostly processed garbage cooked up by people that couldn't cut it at McDonalds. You are always worrying about job security as well because they have such a high employee turnover and are steadily losing contracts for camp services. The hours are long,10+
a day for 21 days then 8 off. The pay is not bad for non-unionized at least when I started but now with the economic situation that has changed too. If they are still hiring it is a good place to get your foot in the door and once there start making contacts with guests and such so you can move on to bigger and better opportunities.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
Great workplace with a nice rec room
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 4, 2013
It was my first experience working in a camp setting as a camp attendant, and I liked it.
My typical day at work would start by retrieving all the used towels from each room, put them in the washer. Grab the cart and start cleaning the rooms. By time break starts for fifteen minutes, I switch the towels over to the dryer and go have the rest of my break for ten minutes.
There was nothing really to hard about the job, everything was ready and available.
I would start work at 7:00am to 5:30pm, sometimes more. Cleaning about 30 - 40 rooms a day.
okay company
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 20, 2013
Not bad company they train and make sure your saftey is not at risk, people are great, managemnet not well organized but great people.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
company stucture can use a bit more work
Remote camp
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaFebruary 20, 2013
I absolutely loved this job, I was second cook so I did whatever the first cook need help with my co workers were great. Then the camp shut down and I was never called back.
Pros
the pay cheque
Cons
never got a call back
housekeeper
House keeper (Former Employee) –  ft mac murrayAugust 19, 2014
this company is alright
has major pros n cons depending on coworkers and management
you were always worried about whether you had a job the next day
Pros
awards
Cons
poor mangement
Large camp is well organised.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2012
This camp is well organised and accomadations are nice.They offer good benefits. 10 hr days -good pay
Pros
nice camp
good company to work for
Second Cook (Former Employee) –  CAMP JOBS IN FORTMCMURRY AREAJune 9, 2014
the most enjoyable part was having getting to wrk in other areas other than the job description .
Pros
21 on
Cons
7 off
Productive and fun workplace
General Helper/Sandwich Maker/2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 9, 2014
A typical day at work for a General Helper would be going to the dining room and making coffee, then making sure everything is fully stocked for service. During service continuing to restock the salad bar, as well as making sure there is juice and milk in the machines at all times and that there is always fresh coffee made for the clients. During the rush I'd also have to restock the sandwiches as they are practically flying off the shelves as the clients are rushing off to their job sites. After service we clean the tables and restock the condiments. Then we'd do the daily cleaning list which consists of things such as cleaning the ice cream machine,slushy machine, cappuccino machine, popcorn machine, and nacho machine. Then we would restock the pop and water, yogurt, and dessert coolers, and preparing for the next meal service. My coworkers were pleasant and hardworking. The hardest part of the job was predicting what would be training new General Helpers for the job, but it was also the most enjoyable part of the job because you get to make a new friend when teaching them the job, and for me training people was very rewarding.
Pros
the kitchen was like a family
good place to work
2nd cook, Baker, Supervisor, Area Trainer (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurrayAugust 16, 2013
needs some serious management work but other than that pretty pleasant company