North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews in Canada

High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 21, 2012
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Pros
wages and benefits were good
Cons
toxic environment with little support from management
Bad Management/Supervisors
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayNovember 29, 2014
If you are not from Newfoundland you are not part of their "family", therefore you do not belong (in their oilsands operations). Work isn't steady, no job security.
Pros
great people minus upper management
Cons
excessive favouritism to east coasters
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABAugust 30, 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  AchesonJanuary 5, 2014
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.
Pros
people
Cons
listed in last part of review
Summary of North American Construction Group
Second year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Everyday I would drive out to CNRL and be there for 530 am to talk to the night shift and do a crossover.

Drive into the mine and do shovel checks before operators arrived.

Maintain shovels and trucks as needed.

The hardest part of the job was the 15 hour days (including driving)

The most enjoyable part was working on multi-million dallor machines
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Suncor site Fort Hills Fort MacFebruary 8, 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.
Working with NACG was an pleasureable learning experience!
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Acheson, ABAugust 15, 2012
Every day is a new experience with new challenges and through each experience I learned something new. The hardest part of my job is the insecurity of not knowing what will happen next layoffs or transfers. Management i'm not sure of because there was little to no interaction. I enjoy working with others.
Pros
safety rewards
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, ABJanuary 9, 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 20, 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
aging senior management not promoting growth within.
great place to work
Project Coordinator/Dispatch/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Mac Murray, AlbertaDecember 12, 2012
Typical day is very busy dealing with everything that has to be done to run mine operations smoothly. Learned lots from people and experiences at this job and the only reason why I am looking for new work is to be closer to home. I enjoy going into work every day but I am also looking for a new challenge.
Not a bad place if you like accountants
Division Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaJuly 10, 2012
Our group supported the Oilsands projects in Northern Alberta
The way we put it "Our company moves dirt"
We supported a very diverse group who was very dedicated to getting the job done
Management typically had no clue what was happening in the field and were at best tolerated
Pros
the people
Cons
too many accountants
good perks but cons outweighed perks
safety (Former Employee) –  saskatchewanAugust 19, 2012
I got payed 8 hours a day and worked 11-13 hours a day as a safety advisor then when I would take some time off when it wasnt busy and the time would be less then I worked, management would complain. work enviroment was toxic in regina, but rest of company is a very good company.
Pros
could manage own time
Cons
toxic work environment
It's was a fun, fast paced environment that offered promotions within, competitive salary and benefits.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson AlbertaJuly 18, 2013
The department I was in have great Team support and sense of feeling at ease and welcome..
Pros
friendly staff, great team support, flexible work hours
Cons
no public transportation
Productive workplace
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 31, 2013
Learned to operate heavy hauler mining trucks of various sizes. Management was really good at communicating clearly expectations at the start of each day. Safety of employees was always present.
Pros
camp, flights, meals
Cons
repetitive tasks
Excellant work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
The even time roster enables everyone to enjoy adequate rest and relaxation. Safety is the primary concern while at work, and is stressed to all levels.
Intense
Accounts Payable Lead - Mining, Heavy Construction (Former Employee) –  Acheson, ABJune 16, 2013
The people that I worked with were great - there was no acknowledgement for all the extra things that you did outside of your job scope.
Pros
people
Cons
acknowlegement
last option
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 15, 2014
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything, management, not following standard safety practice
great safety culture
BULLDOZER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABApril 26, 2013
Company is based out of Alberta. Typical day included earth moving and road building. Be prepared to be away from home for most of the month
A GOOD COMPANY
SENIOR BUSINESS SYSTEM ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2013
IT IS A GOOD PLACE TO LEARN NEW THINGS GET USED TO CHANGES.

IT GROWS TOO FAST TO SETUP A GOOD STRUCTURE.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
inconsistance
A really solid employer
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 27, 2014
NACG was a wonderful employer, High wages, RRSP contributions made for me, great medical dental,
Pros
high wage/rrsp