North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

Lots of equipment to fix, always bussy
Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ft McMurray5 November 2015
Good relationship with supervisors
very technical work
lots of troubleshooting
fast pace work place

was camp included + fly in/ fly out. in the begining I had to drive.
Pros
good relationship with supervisors
Cons
production over maintenance
Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray Fort Hills29 September 2015
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
Pros
Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
Ok place to work
Excavator Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray24 August 2015
they are ok to work for deoending on who is running the job, they can be cheap as well. I've worked for better and I've worked for worse but I like the job I have with them at the moment.
Great place to work.Couldn`t ask for better co-workers.
Haul Truck Driver (Heavy Hauler) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 July 2015
A typical day at work driving a heavy hauler.The people I worked with were great,I have learned alot from them.The hardest part of the job is focus. You have to concentrate on what your doing and where your going.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only have 5 days home
Nacg
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills3 July 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 June 2015
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
Pros
Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons
12 hours work, 15 hour day.
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 May 2015
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
Pros
good working shift
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2015
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
Pros
camp
Cons
long nightshifts
productive
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 March 2015
Great place to work but needing more upper mangement is good to work with overall good company very busy days at work. an honest day pay for an honest day worked
Pros
flights
Cons
n/a
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Suncor site Fort Hills Fort Mac8 February 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.

Want to know more about North American Construction Group?

Ask a question
Very Unstable Company
Manager, Business Solutions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton7 February 2015
Horrific management, lack of work and chronic infighting make this place a horrible place to work.

Finance controls every aspect of the company to the detriment of long time staff.

Zero staff loyalty - well known for letting go senior staff.
Cons
Horrible treatment of staff, no direction, toxic environment
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB9 January 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.
Excellant work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 October 2014
The even time roster enables everyone to enjoy adequate rest and relaxation. Safety is the primary concern while at work, and is stressed to all levels.
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.9 October 2014
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
Pros
Room and board.
Cons
Long hours, away from family.
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 September 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
Great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
Aging senior management not promoting growth within.
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB30 August 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
A really solid employer
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 May 2014
NACG was a wonderful employer, High wages, RRSP contributions made for me, great medical dental,
Pros
High wage/RRSP
excellent
Heavy Hauler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 April 2014
awesome place to work people are great to bad they didn't have more work for me
last option
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, Alberta15 February 2014
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything, management, not following standard safety practice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at North American Construction Group. Our community is ready to answer.

North American Construction Group Reviews by Location