North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

good perks but cons outweighed perks
safety (Former Employee) –  saskatchewan19 August 2012
I got payed 8 hours a day and worked 11-13 hours a day as a safety advisor then when I would take some time off when it wasnt busy and the time would be less then I worked, management would complain. work enviroment was toxic in regina, but rest of company is a very good company.
Pros
could manage own time
Cons
toxic work environment
Not a bad place if you like accountants
Division Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta10 July 2012
Our group supported the Oilsands projects in Northern Alberta
The way we put it "Our company moves dirt"
We supported a very diverse group who was very dedicated to getting the job done
Management typically had no clue what was happening in the field and were at best tolerated
Pros
the people
Cons
too many accountants
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills3 July 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Suncor site Fort Hills Fort Mac8 February 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Acheson5 January 2014
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.
Pros
People
Cons
Listed in last part of review
Great place to work.Couldn`t ask for better co-workers.
Haul Truck Driver (Heavy Hauler) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 July 2015
A typical day at work driving a heavy hauler.The people I worked with were great,I have learned alot from them.The hardest part of the job is focus. You have to concentrate on what your doing and where your going.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only have 5 days home
Productive workplace
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 July 2013
Learned to operate heavy hauler mining trucks of various sizes. Management was really good at communicating clearly expectations at the start of each day. Safety of employees was always present.
Pros
camp, flights, meals
Cons
repetitive tasks
Ok place to work
Excavator Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray24 August 2015
they are ok to work for deoending on who is running the job, they can be cheap as well. I've worked for better and I've worked for worse but I like the job I have with them at the moment.
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 June 2015
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
Pros
Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons
12 hours work, 15 hour day.
It was great
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 April 2013
12 hour days. 14/7. management was good. the commute was pretty long.
Pros
good pay
Is a good experience. It was challenging and fun. Co-workers are great to work with.
Site Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2013
I have learned lots from NACG in the training field. I have had some great mentors to help me get through the processes that are required in the training department, My co-workers are excellent to work with , its a great team environment and we have mega years experience in mining , all of us combined. We share our experiences and help each other.
Pros
our team . it presented lots of interesting challenges.
Cons
recent changes in the company, moral .
last option
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, Alberta15 February 2014
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything, management, not following standard safety practice
How I like them
Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 January 2013
Good to work for, good salary and benefits though the union and good schedules
Summary of North American Construction Group
Second year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 January 2013
Everyday I would drive out to CNRL and be there for 530 am to talk to the night shift and do a crossover.

Drive into the mine and do shovel checks before operators arrived.

Maintain shovels and trucks as needed.

The hardest part of the job was the 15 hour days (including driving)

The most enjoyable part was working on multi-million dallor machines
great place to work
Project Coordinator/Dispatch/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Mac Murray, Alberta12 December 2012
Typical day is very busy dealing with everything that has to be done to run mine operations smoothly. Learned lots from people and experiences at this job and the only reason why I am looking for new work is to be closer to home. I enjoy going into work every day but I am also looking for a new challenge.
productive
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 March 2015
Great place to work but needing more upper mangement is good to work with overall good company very busy days at work. an honest day pay for an honest day worked
Pros
flights
Cons
n/a
It's was a fun, fast paced environment that offered promotions within, competitive salary and benefits.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson Alberta18 July 2013
The department I was in have great Team support and sense of feeling at ease and welcome..
Pros
Friendly staff, great team support, flexible work hours
Cons
No public transportation
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB9 January 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
Excellant work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 October 2014
The even time roster enables everyone to enjoy adequate rest and relaxation. Safety is the primary concern while at work, and is stressed to all levels.

2.7