North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2015
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
Pros
camp
Cons
long nightshifts
Summary of North American Construction Group
Second year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 January 2013
Everyday I would drive out to CNRL and be there for 530 am to talk to the night shift and do a crossover.

Drive into the mine and do shovel checks before operators arrived.

Maintain shovels and trucks as needed.

The hardest part of the job was the 15 hour days (including driving)

The most enjoyable part was working on multi-million dallor machines
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Acheson5 January 2014
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.
Pros
People
Cons
Listed in last part of review
Working with NACG was an pleasureable learning experience!
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB15 August 2012
Every day is a new experience with new challenges and through each experience I learned something new. The hardest part of my job is the insecurity of not knowing what will happen next layoffs or transfers. Management i'm not sure of because there was little to no interaction. I enjoy working with others.
Pros
safety rewards
Very Unstable Company
Manager, Business Solutions (Former Employee) –  Edmonton7 February 2015
Horrific management, lack of work and chronic infighting make this place a horrible place to work.

Finance controls every aspect of the company to the detriment of long time staff.

Zero staff loyalty - well known for letting go senior staff.
Cons
Horrible treatment of staff, no direction, toxic environment
great place to work
Project Coordinator/Dispatch/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Mac Murray, Alberta12 December 2012
Typical day is very busy dealing with everything that has to be done to run mine operations smoothly. Learned lots from people and experiences at this job and the only reason why I am looking for new work is to be closer to home. I enjoy going into work every day but I am also looking for a new challenge.
Not a bad place if you like accountants
Division Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta10 July 2012
Our group supported the Oilsands projects in Northern Alberta
The way we put it "Our company moves dirt"
We supported a very diverse group who was very dedicated to getting the job done
Management typically had no clue what was happening in the field and were at best tolerated
Pros
the people
Cons
too many accountants
good perks but cons outweighed perks
safety (Former Employee) –  saskatchewan19 August 2012
I got payed 8 hours a day and worked 11-13 hours a day as a safety advisor then when I would take some time off when it wasnt busy and the time would be less then I worked, management would complain. work enviroment was toxic in regina, but rest of company is a very good company.
Pros
could manage own time
Cons
toxic work environment
Ok place to work
Excavator Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray24 August 2015
they are ok to work for deoending on who is running the job, they can be cheap as well. I've worked for better and I've worked for worse but I like the job I have with them at the moment.
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB30 August 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 September 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
Great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
Aging senior management not promoting growth within.
It's was a fun, fast paced environment that offered promotions within, competitive salary and benefits.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson Alberta18 July 2013
The department I was in have great Team support and sense of feeling at ease and welcome..
Pros
Friendly staff, great team support, flexible work hours
Cons
No public transportation
Bad Management/Supervisors
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray29 November 2014
If you are not from Newfoundland you are not part of their "family", therefore you do not belong (in their oilsands operations). Work isn't steady, no job security.
Pros
Great People minus upper management
Cons
Excessive favouritism to east coasters
Productive workplace
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 July 2013
Learned to operate heavy hauler mining trucks of various sizes. Management was really good at communicating clearly expectations at the start of each day. Safety of employees was always present.
Pros
camp, flights, meals
Cons
repetitive tasks
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB9 January 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
productive
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 March 2015
Great place to work but needing more upper mangement is good to work with overall good company very busy days at work. an honest day pay for an honest day worked
Pros
flights
Cons
n/a
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee) –  Suncor site Fort Hills Fort Mac8 February 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.
Intense
Accounts Payable Lead - Mining, Heavy Construction (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB16 June 2013
The people that I worked with were great - there was no acknowledgement for all the extra things that you did outside of your job scope.
Pros
People
Cons
Acknowlegement
Excellant work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 October 2014
The even time roster enables everyone to enjoy adequate rest and relaxation. Safety is the primary concern while at work, and is stressed to all levels.
last option
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, Alberta15 February 2014
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything, management, not following standard safety practice

2.7