North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 20, 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
aging senior management not promoting growth within.
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABAugust 30, 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
A really solid employer
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 27, 2014
NACG was a wonderful employer, High wages, RRSP contributions made for me, great medical dental,
Pros
high wage/rrsp
excellent
Heavy Hauler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 12, 2014
awesome place to work people are great to bad they didn't have more work for me
last option
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 15, 2014
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
Pros
co workers
Cons
everything, management, not following standard safety practice
The company need help
Project Cost Controls Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntarioJanuary 17, 2014
I thank God I worked in this company, it is an opportunity to appreciate better comapny
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  AchesonJanuary 5, 2014
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.
Pros
people
Cons
listed in last part of review
Provided the necessary tools to get the job done
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 3, 2013
This was a camp job. My schedule was 14 days on 7 days off. Every day had a different agenda. Your typical day was 14-16 hours long. We were required to report to senior management every wednesday. Co-workers and management were supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job were long days. The most rewarding part of the job was the teaching and helping people to identify risk.
Pros
continuous training & education, support, co-workers
Cons
long days
Productive workplace
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 31, 2013
Learned to operate heavy hauler mining trucks of various sizes. Management was really good at communicating clearly expectations at the start of each day. Safety of employees was always present.
Pros
camp, flights, meals
Cons
repetitive tasks
It's was a fun, fast paced environment that offered promotions within, competitive salary and benefits.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson AlbertaJuly 18, 2013
The department I was in have great Team support and sense of feeling at ease and welcome..
Pros
friendly staff, great team support, flexible work hours
Cons
no public transportation
Intense
Accounts Payable Lead - Mining, Heavy Construction (Former Employee) –  Acheson, ABJune 16, 2013
The people that I worked with were great - there was no acknowledgement for all the extra things that you did outside of your job scope.
Pros
people
Cons
acknowlegement
great safety culture
BULLDOZER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABApril 26, 2013
Company is based out of Alberta. Typical day included earth moving and road building. Be prepared to be away from home for most of the month
It was great
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2013
12 hour days. 14/7. management was good. the commute was pretty long.
Pros
good pay
A GOOD COMPANY
SENIOR BUSINESS SYSTEM ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2013
IT IS A GOOD PLACE TO LEARN NEW THINGS GET USED TO CHANGES.

IT GROWS TOO FAST TO SETUP A GOOD STRUCTURE.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
inconsistance
Good place to work with room to grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  Acheson, ABMarch 4, 2013
NACG is a good place to work and has alot to offer an employee in terms of professional growth and challenge. The company definitely has room for improvement, but is headed in the right direction. Anyone with the right attitude and drive will quickly become a strong asset to the company. In addition, I have a very supportive team including my direct Manager. I am given clear direction and trust to get my work done.
Pros
supportive team and management; new ceo has brought in much needed focus
Cons
company going through transition period
Is a good experience. It was challenging and fun. Co-workers are great to work with.
Site Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 9, 2013
I have learned lots from NACG in the training field. I have had some great mentors to help me get through the processes that are required in the training department, My co-workers are excellent to work with , its a great team environment and we have mega years experience in mining , all of us combined. We share our experiences and help each other.
Pros
our team . it presented lots of interesting challenges.
Cons
recent changes in the company, moral .
Summary of North American Construction Group
Second year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Everyday I would drive out to CNRL and be there for 530 am to talk to the night shift and do a crossover.

Drive into the mine and do shovel checks before operators arrived.

Maintain shovels and trucks as needed.

The hardest part of the job was the 15 hour days (including driving)

The most enjoyable part was working on multi-million dallor machines
How I like them
Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 25, 2013
Good to work for, good salary and benefits though the union and good schedules
High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 21, 2012
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Pros
wages and benefits were good
Cons
toxic environment with little support from management
great place to work
Project Coordinator/Dispatch/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Mac Murray, AlbertaDecember 12, 2012
Typical day is very busy dealing with everything that has to be done to run mine operations smoothly. Learned lots from people and experiences at this job and the only reason why I am looking for new work is to be closer to home. I enjoy going into work every day but I am also looking for a new challenge.