North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

Driller (micropile) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB/Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Never had really any issues with North American, I was new to this field of work and was under experienced, although i was bumped up to driller and given a chance. Says a lot for ability to advance.
Pros
Advance in position given
Cons
undertrained workers
Worse place to work by far
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2016
managers have no respect for their subordinates
no training was given
expected to do 3 peoples jobs in a day without any help or benefits
will avoid paying over time no matter what
people are brown nosers
Pros
staff lunch, occasional free tickets
Cons
no repect, little pay, bad environment
They suck
HD mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 July 2016
If I could have a no star rating it would be a negitive..worst job I have EVER had in 26 years as a Heavy duty mechanic.It woud be better to collect welfare on the skid row of Vancouver than work for this 2 bit company.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
big equipment,good place to gain mining experience,but don't plan long term
HOE HAND (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB18 December 2015
ok place to work ,good place to start getting mine exp , BUT WHAT IS WITH NO CAMP NO FLIGHTS NO BUS TRAVEL TIME ,AND TEN MINUTE BREAKS. very tight very cheap,,but playing the big role in a big sand box for BIG clients ,,and you get to pick up their financial slack from your own pocket... do not make future plans with NACG.cause you'll get laid off on your days off,,biggest employee TURNAROUND I've ever seen ,,EVER
Pros
MINE EXPERIENCE
Cons
NO CAMP, NO HUBS FOR FLIGHTS
Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray Fort Hills29 September 2015
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
Pros
Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
Lots of equipment to fix, always bussy
Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ft McMurray5 November 2015
Good relationship with supervisors
very technical work
lots of troubleshooting
fast pace work place

was camp included + fly in/ fly out. in the begining I had to drive.
Pros
good relationship with supervisors
Cons
production over maintenance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2016
North American is a great place to work.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great employer.
The management was open and only wanted good for the organization.
it was an alright place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 November 2015
Nacg was alright, they had there ups and downs. Money was great but you were more of just a number. Equipment was maintained pretty good, never really had any problems with this company, but it is a big company with lots of employees.
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills3 July 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Unstable work, company is a sinking ship
Safety Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 August 2015
Pay was low for the area (I made about 60% of what others in my same profession did around Fort McMurray). They were stingy about training as well - when I attended training on behalf of the company, I had to attend during days off and I was not recompensed for my time. If training occurred in my home city, I was not given mileage, food, or other support. Manager was extremely difficult to work with, did not like giving time off for family issues. I had a terminally ill family member and had to fight to get a week off to see them - I was told that I had to conduct training sessions and nobody else could fill in for me. Other co-workers were hassled about having to leave early because of daycare issues and weren't given support with similar family issues.

Out on individual job sites, good teamwork. Management seemed in it for themselves and were extremely greedy, but us "peons" had a pretty good team spirit!
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 May 2015
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
Pros
good working shift
Cons
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 June 2015
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
Pros
Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons
12 hours work, 15 hour day.
Great place to work.Couldn`t ask for better co-workers.
Haul Truck Driver (Heavy Hauler) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 July 2015
A typical day at work driving a heavy hauler.The people I worked with were great,I have learned alot from them.The hardest part of the job is focus. You have to concentrate on what your doing and where your going.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only have 5 days home
Not the best place I've ever worked....
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2015
North American has bad habit of letting "the good ones" go for poor reasoning. In my 6 years, the company went thru 6 major restructuring or downsizing exercises. There is very much a boys club mentality in this organization making it difficult for people who are deemed not a fit for the club to survive and thrive.
Pros
Always lots to do, diversity in the role
Cons
Poor management, poor morale, lack of direction, politics
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.9 October 2014
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
Pros
Room and board.
Cons
Long hours, away from family.
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2015
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
Pros
camp
Cons
long nightshifts
Good place to work with room to grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB4 March 2013
NACG is a good place to work and has alot to offer an employee in terms of professional growth and challenge. The company definitely has room for improvement, but is headed in the right direction. Anyone with the right attitude and drive will quickly become a strong asset to the company. In addition, I have a very supportive team including my direct Manager. I am given clear direction and trust to get my work done.
Pros
supportive team and management; new ceo has brought in much needed focus
Cons
company going through transition period
High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 December 2012
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Pros
wages and benefits were good
Cons
toxic environment with little support from management
Is a good experience. It was challenging and fun. Co-workers are great to work with.
Site Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2013
I have learned lots from NACG in the training field. I have had some great mentors to help me get through the processes that are required in the training department, My co-workers are excellent to work with , its a great team environment and we have mega years experience in mining , all of us combined. We share our experiences and help each other.
Pros
our team . it presented lots of interesting challenges.
Cons
recent changes in the company, moral .

2.7