North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unstable work, company is a sinking ship
Safety Professional (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 21, 2015
Pay was low for the area (I made about 60% of what others in my same profession did around Fort McMurray). They were stingy about training as well - when I attended training on behalf of the company, I had to attend during days off and I was not recompensed for my time. If training occurred in my home city, I was not given mileage, food, or other support. Manager was extremely difficult to work with, did not like giving time off for family issues. I had a terminally ill family member and had to fight to get a week off to see them - I was told that I had to conduct training sessions and nobody else could fill in for me. Other co-workers were hassled about having to leave early because of daycare issues and weren't given support with similar family issues.

Out on individual job sites, good teamwork. Management seemed in it for themselves and were extremely greedy, but us "peons" had a pretty good team spirit!
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee), Kearl Lake, ABAugust 30, 2014
Pros: ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons: camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee), AchesonJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: listed in last part of review
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.
High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee), EdmontonDecember 21, 2012
Pros: wages and benefits were good
Cons: toxic environment with little support from management
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Good place to work with room to grow
Manager (Current Employee), Acheson, ABMarch 4, 2013
Pros: supportive team and management; new ceo has brought in much needed focus
Cons: company going through transition period
NACG is a good place to work and has alot to offer an employee in terms of professional growth and challenge. The company definitely has room for improvement, but is headed in the right direction. Anyone with the right attitude and drive will quickly become a strong asset to the company. In addition, I have a very supportive team including my direct Manager. I am given clear direction and trust to get my work done.
Is a good experience. It was challenging and fun. Co-workers are great to work with.
Site Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: our team . it presented lots of interesting challenges.
Cons: recent changes in the company, moral .
I have learned lots from NACG in the training field. I have had some great mentors to help me get through the processes that are required in the training department, My co-workers are excellent to work with , its a great team environment and we have mega years experience in mining , all of us combined. We share our experiences and help each other.
Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray Fort HillsSeptember 29, 2015
Pros: Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
big equipment,good place to gain mining experience,but don't plan long term
HOE HAND (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, ABDecember 18, 2015
Pros: MINE EXPERIENCE
Cons: NO CAMP, NO HUBS FOR FLIGHTS
ok place to work ,good place to start getting mine exp , BUT WHAT IS WITH NO CAMP NO FLIGHTS NO BUS TRAVEL TIME ,AND TEN MINUTE BREAKS. very tight very cheap,,but playing the big role in a big sand box for BIG clients ,,and you get to pick up their financial slack from your own pocket... do not make future plans with NACG.cause you'll get laid off on your days off,,biggest employee TURNAROUND I've ever seen ,,EVER
Provided the necessary tools to get the job done
HSE Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 3, 2013
Pros: continuous training & education, support, co-workers
Cons: long days
This was a camp job. My schedule was 14 days on 7 days off. Every day had a different agenda. Your typical day was 14-16 hours long. We were required to report to senior management every wednesday. Co-workers and management were supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job were long days. The most rewarding part of the job was the teaching and helping people to identify risk.
Not the best place I've ever worked....
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: always lots to do, diversity in the role
Cons: poor management, poor morale, lack of direction, politics
North American has bad habit of letting "the good ones" go for poor reasoning. In my 6 years, the company went thru 6 major restructuring or downsizing exercises. There is very much a boys club mentality in this organization making it difficult for people who are deemed not a fit for the club to survive and thrive.
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee), Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.October 9, 2014
Pros: room and board.
Cons: long hours, away from family.
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort HillsJuly 3, 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 24, 2015
Pros: good working shift
Cons: long hours
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
Summary of North American Construction Group
Second year Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Everyday I would drive out to CNRL and be there for 530 am to talk to the night shift and do a crossover.

Drive into the mine and do shovel checks before operators arrived.

Maintain shovels and trucks as needed.

The hardest part of the job was the 15 hour days (including driving)

The most enjoyable part was working on multi-million dallor machines
Working with NACG was an pleasureable learning experience!
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Acheson, ABAugust 15, 2012
Pros: safety rewards
Cons: long hours
Every day is a new experience with new challenges and through each experience I learned something new. The hardest part of my job is the insecurity of not knowing what will happen next layoffs or transfers. Management i'm not sure of because there was little to no interaction. I enjoy working with others.
great place to work
Project Coordinator/Dispatch/Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort Mac Murray, AlbertaDecember 12, 2012
Typical day is very busy dealing with everything that has to be done to run mine operations smoothly. Learned lots from people and experiences at this job and the only reason why I am looking for new work is to be closer to home. I enjoy going into work every day but I am also looking for a new challenge.
Not a bad place if you like accountants
Division Buyer (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaJuly 10, 2012
Pros: the people
Cons: too many accountants
Our group supported the Oilsands projects in Northern Alberta
The way we put it "Our company moves dirt"
We supported a very diverse group who was very dedicated to getting the job done
Management typically had no clue what was happening in the field and were at best tolerated
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2015
Pros: Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons: 12 hours work, 15 hour day.
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
good perks but cons outweighed perks
safety (Former Employee), saskatchewanAugust 19, 2012
Pros: could manage own time
Cons: toxic work environment
I got payed 8 hours a day and worked 11-13 hours a day as a safety advisor then when I would take some time off when it wasnt busy and the time would be less then I worked, management would complain. work enviroment was toxic in regina, but rest of company is a very good company.