North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

Good company
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Manitoba31 January 2017
Nice steady work,safe work culture,lots of various sites,nice new equipment. Work in various provinces. Good benefits
Worse place to work by far
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2016
managers have no respect for their subordinates
no training was given
expected to do 3 peoples jobs in a day without any help or benefits
will avoid paying over time no matter what
people are brown nosers
Pros
staff lunch, occasional free tickets
Cons
no repect, little pay, bad environment
Heo
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 January 2017
You like gong show ? Well best place to see one !
Unorganized company ! With all wage cut not much worthy !
Its always a temporary job with these guys ! Running old equipment all the time !
If you hav alot of patient well that the good place to give a try !
You can't fix stupid !
Pros
You have a job
Cons
You have a job with NACG
Driller (micropile) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB/Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Never had really any issues with North American, I was new to this field of work and was under experienced, although i was bumped up to driller and given a chance. Says a lot for ability to advance.
Pros
Advance in position given
Cons
undertrained workers
Very safe work environment
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2017
I enjoy working for this company; however it's hard to pay for two living places and flights for what i'm earning in wages.
Pros
safe and a good place to work
Cons
not enough pay and rotation
Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray Fort Hills29 September 2015
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
Pros
Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.9 October 2014
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
Pros
Room and board.
Cons
Long hours, away from family.
High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 December 2012
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Pros
wages and benefits were good
Cons
toxic environment with little support from management
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 May 2015
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
Pros
good working shift
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2016
North American is a great place to work.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great employer.
The management was open and only wanted good for the organization.
Working with NACG was an pleasureable learning experience!
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB15 August 2012
Every day is a new experience with new challenges and through each experience I learned something new. The hardest part of my job is the insecurity of not knowing what will happen next layoffs or transfers. Management i'm not sure of because there was little to no interaction. I enjoy working with others.
Pros
safety rewards
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB30 August 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Good place to work with room to grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB4 March 2013
NACG is a good place to work and has alot to offer an employee in terms of professional growth and challenge. The company definitely has room for improvement, but is headed in the right direction. Anyone with the right attitude and drive will quickly become a strong asset to the company. In addition, I have a very supportive team including my direct Manager. I am given clear direction and trust to get my work done.
Pros
supportive team and management; new ceo has brought in much needed focus
Cons
company going through transition period
Provided the necessary tools to get the job done
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2013
This was a camp job. My schedule was 14 days on 7 days off. Every day had a different agenda. Your typical day was 14-16 hours long. We were required to report to senior management every wednesday. Co-workers and management were supportive and helpful. The hardest part of the job were long days. The most rewarding part of the job was the teaching and helping people to identify risk.
Pros
Continuous training & education, support, co-workers
Cons
Long days
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 September 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
Great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
Aging senior management not promoting growth within.
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2015
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
Pros
camp
Cons
long nightshifts
good perks but cons outweighed perks
safety (Former Employee) –  saskatchewan19 August 2012
I got payed 8 hours a day and worked 11-13 hours a day as a safety advisor then when I would take some time off when it wasnt busy and the time would be less then I worked, management would complain. work enviroment was toxic in regina, but rest of company is a very good company.
Pros
could manage own time
Cons
toxic work environment
it was an alright place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 November 2015
Nacg was alright, they had there ups and downs. Money was great but you were more of just a number. Equipment was maintained pretty good, never really had any problems with this company, but it is a big company with lots of employees.
Not a bad place if you like accountants
Division Buyer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta10 July 2012
Our group supported the Oilsands projects in Northern Alberta
The way we put it "Our company moves dirt"
We supported a very diverse group who was very dedicated to getting the job done
Management typically had no clue what was happening in the field and were at best tolerated
Pros
the people
Cons
too many accountants
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.

2.9