North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Weakest management
mechanic (Former Employee), fortmcmurrayFebruary 13, 2016
Pros: days off
Cons: newfies
Back in the day NACG had a strong honest management team, now they have the weakest I have ever seen, in my 30 plus years. Lack of honesty, integrity ,Skills, oh unless your a newfie in that case everything is good.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
North American is a great place to work.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great employer.
The management was open and only wanted good for the organization.
big equipment,good place to gain mining experience,but don't plan long term
HOE HAND (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, ABDecember 18, 2015
Pros: MINE EXPERIENCE
Cons: NO CAMP, NO HUBS FOR FLIGHTS
ok place to work ,good place to start getting mine exp , BUT WHAT IS WITH NO CAMP NO FLIGHTS NO BUS TRAVEL TIME ,AND TEN MINUTE BREAKS. very tight very cheap,,but playing the big role in a big sand box for BIG clients ,,and you get to pick up their financial slack from your own pocket... do not make future plans with NACG.cause you'll get laid off on your days off,,biggest employee TURNAROUND I've ever seen ,,EVER
it was an alright place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
Nacg was alright, they had there ups and downs. Money was great but you were more of just a number. Equipment was maintained pretty good, never really had any problems with this company, but it is a big company with lots of employees.
Lots of equipment to fix, always bussy
Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee), Ft McMurrayNovember 5, 2015
Pros: good relationship with supervisors
Cons: production over maintenance
Good relationship with supervisors
very technical work
lots of troubleshooting
fast pace work place

was camp included + fly in/ fly out. in the begining I had to drive.
Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray Fort HillsSeptember 29, 2015
Pros: Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
Ok place to work
Excavator Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayAugust 24, 2015
they are ok to work for deoending on who is running the job, they can be cheap as well. I've worked for better and I've worked for worse but I like the job I have with them at the moment.
Unstable work, company is a sinking ship
Safety Professional (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 21, 2015
Pay was low for the area (I made about 60% of what others in my same profession did around Fort McMurray). They were stingy about training as well - when I attended training on behalf of the company, I had to attend during days off and I was not recompensed for my time. If training occurred in my home city, I was not given mileage, food, or other support. Manager was extremely difficult to work with, did not like giving time off for family issues. I had a terminally ill family member and had to fight to get a week off to see them - I was told that I had to conduct training sessions and nobody else could fill in for me. Other co-workers were hassled about having to leave early because of daycare issues and weren't given support with similar family issues.

Out on individual job sites, good teamwork. Management seemed in it for themselves and were extremely greedy, but us "peons" had a pretty good team spirit!
Great place to work.Couldn`t ask for better co-workers.
Haul Truck Driver (Heavy Hauler) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Only have 5 days home
A typical day at work driving a heavy hauler.The people I worked with were great,I have learned alot from them.The hardest part of the job is focus. You have to concentrate on what your doing and where your going.
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort HillsJuly 3, 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2015
Pros: Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons: 12 hours work, 15 hour day.
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 24, 2015
Pros: good working shift
Cons: long hours
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 6, 2015
Pros: camp
Cons: long nightshifts
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
productive
Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 4, 2015
Pros: flights
Cons: n/a
Great place to work but needing more upper mangement is good to work with overall good company very busy days at work. an honest day pay for an honest day worked
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee), Suncor site Fort Hills Fort MacFebruary 8, 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.
Very Unstable Company
Manager, Business Solutions (Former Employee), EdmontonFebruary 7, 2015
Cons: horrible treatment of staff, no direction, toxic environment
Horrific management, lack of work and chronic infighting make this place a horrible place to work.

Finance controls every aspect of the company to the detriment of long time staff.

Zero staff loyalty - well known for letting go senior staff.
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee), Fort Hills, ABJanuary 9, 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
Not the best place I've ever worked....
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: always lots to do, diversity in the role
Cons: poor management, poor morale, lack of direction, politics
North American has bad habit of letting "the good ones" go for poor reasoning. In my 6 years, the company went thru 6 major restructuring or downsizing exercises. There is very much a boys club mentality in this organization making it difficult for people who are deemed not a fit for the club to survive and thrive.
Bad Management/Supervisors
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayNovember 29, 2014
Pros: great people minus upper management
Cons: excessive favouritism to east coasters
If you are not from Newfoundland you are not part of their "family", therefore you do not belong (in their oilsands operations). Work isn't steady, no job security.
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.