North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort HillsJuly 3, 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2015
Pros: Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons: 12 hours work, 15 hour day.
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 24, 2015
Pros: good working shift
Cons: long hours
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 6, 2015
Pros: camp
Cons: long nightshifts
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
productive
Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 4, 2015
Pros: flights
Cons: n/a
Great place to work but needing more upper mangement is good to work with overall good company very busy days at work. an honest day pay for an honest day worked
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee), Suncor site Fort Hills Fort MacFebruary 8, 2015
It was short and sweet and met some good contacts. It was a safe work environment and safety was important to them. Management was good and my co workers were nice.
Very Unstable Company
Manager, Business Solutions (Former Employee), EdmontonFebruary 7, 2015
Cons: horrible treatment of staff, no direction, toxic environment
Horrific management, lack of work and chronic infighting make this place a horrible place to work.

Finance controls every aspect of the company to the detriment of long time staff.

Zero staff loyalty - well known for letting go senior staff.
Great camp experience
Senior Groundsperson (Former Employee), Fort Hills, ABJanuary 9, 2015
Such a great company to work for! Camp was awesome and the 14/7 shift worked wonderful for me and my family. Mycoworkers were good and my foreman was knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
Not the best place I've ever worked....
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: always lots to do, diversity in the role
Cons: poor management, poor morale, lack of direction, politics
North American has bad habit of letting "the good ones" go for poor reasoning. In my 6 years, the company went thru 6 major restructuring or downsizing exercises. There is very much a boys club mentality in this organization making it difficult for people who are deemed not a fit for the club to survive and thrive.
Bad Management/Supervisors
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayNovember 29, 2014
Pros: great people minus upper management
Cons: excessive favouritism to east coasters
If you are not from Newfoundland you are not part of their "family", therefore you do not belong (in their oilsands operations). Work isn't steady, no job security.
Small and diverse, fun team
Technical Services Lead (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 16, 2014
I worked with a great group of people, the work itself became a little mundane, the same daily meetings which reviewed the same information multiple times a day. Direction from my superior was lacking and I wish I was able to have learn more in different parts of the company. It became apparent that once you excelled in something that's where you would stay. Originally the company had a program for new grads to work in multiple positions in the company to fully understand the full system and find a position they enjoyed, too bad it wasn't offered to a broader group of employees. All-in-all I was satisfied working with the company, it always boils down to you co-workers and superiors.
Excellant work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
The even time roster enables everyone to enjoy adequate rest and relaxation. Safety is the primary concern while at work, and is stressed to all levels.
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee), Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.October 9, 2014
Pros: room and board.
Cons: long hours, away from family.
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons: aging senior management not promoting growth within.
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee), Kearl Lake, ABAugust 30, 2014
Pros: ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons: camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
A really solid employer
Labourer (Former Employee), Regina, SKMay 27, 2014
Pros: high wage/rrsp
NACG was a wonderful employer, High wages, RRSP contributions made for me, great medical dental,
excellent
Heavy Hauler (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 12, 2014
awesome place to work people are great to bad they didn't have more work for me
last option
Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: everything, management, not following standard safety practice
Upper management is terrible, company is cheap, poorly run. Best part is the employees. Better places to work
The company need help
Project Cost Controls Coordinator (Former Employee), Cambridge OntarioJanuary 17, 2014
I thank God I worked in this company, it is an opportunity to appreciate better comapny
Repeat Offender
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee), AchesonJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: listed in last part of review
I have left this company and came back to them twice now. I left because there is a hard time advancing within unless you kiss a#$. That or you know someone or are related to them. I came back because they do pay good for mechanics in Edmonton area. Also the people I work with are some of the best I've worked with or for. I have worked for them up in FT. Mcmurray and don't sugest anyone go up there for them unless you're just getting into a area of work. Safety is huge here but don't have a incident. If you do then the "advisors" will treat you like you just killed their children. All in all I have learnt alot about my trade while working here. Again the people are the best part of the job. Hardest part is dealing with the ever changing pollices and procedures. Seems like those change daily.

About North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group (NACG) is the premier provider of heavy construction and mining services in Canada. With over – Read more

North American Construction Group Photos