North American Construction Group

North American Construction Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Cut throat, toxic environment. Bad leadership
Project Coordinator/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray Fort HillsSeptember 29, 2015
Always felt like everyone was on the chopping block, which ended up being true. Zero job security or loyalty to even full time, staff employees and engineers. Infighting between managers/directors. Some managers who were just completely clueless when it came to everything related to on-site activities. Oftentimes very unprofessional management. Job never felt safe even though you're giving it your all.
Pros
Decent pay, always busy, lots to learn
Weakest management
mechanic (Former Employee) –  fortmcmurrayFebruary 13, 2016
Back in the day NACG had a strong honest management team, now they have the weakest I have ever seen, in my 30 plus years. Lack of honesty, integrity ,Skills, oh unless your a newfie in that case everything is good.
Pros
days off
Cons
newfies
Unstable work, company is a sinking ship
Safety Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 21, 2015
Pay was low for the area (I made about 60% of what others in my same profession did around Fort McMurray). They were stingy about training as well - when I attended training on behalf of the company, I had to attend during days off and I was not recompensed for my time. If training occurred in my home city, I was not given mileage, food, or other support. Manager was extremely difficult to work with, did not like giving time off for family issues. I had a terminally ill family member and had to fight to get a week off to see them - I was told that I had to conduct training sessions and nobody else could fill in for me. Other co-workers were hassled about having to leave early because of daycare issues and weren't given support with similar family issues.

Out on individual job sites, good teamwork. Management seemed in it for themselves and were extremely greedy, but us "peons" had a pretty good team spirit!
big equipment,good place to gain mining experience,but don't plan long term
HOE HAND (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABDecember 18, 2015
ok place to work ,good place to start getting mine exp , BUT WHAT IS WITH NO CAMP NO FLIGHTS NO BUS TRAVEL TIME ,AND TEN MINUTE BREAKS. very tight very cheap,,but playing the big role in a big sand box for BIG clients ,,and you get to pick up their financial slack from your own pocket... do not make future plans with NACG.cause you'll get laid off on your days off,,biggest employee TURNAROUND I've ever seen ,,EVER
Pros
MINE EXPERIENCE
Cons
NO CAMP, NO HUBS FOR FLIGHTS
good place to work
LEAD EQUIPMENT TRAINER FOR NACG (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 24, 2015
PSI meeting in the morning
learned how to work safer and to understand the importabce of safety
NACG has a good bunch of management people
working with the operators have shown me that everyone is able to learn
there are no real hard parts of the job if you follow the proper directions.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when someone that i have trained suceeds.
Pros
good working shift
As a mechanic.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Canadian Natural Resources, Horizon camp.October 9, 2014
Had an interesting career, working with wide range of cultures. Worked long hours most of the time. Have my health, skills, willingess to continue to work. Get along well with people, am able to communicate. Present job which will end in December, 2014, I get up at 4:00 AM, work 12 hr. days, do some exercises at the gym after work. Learned throughout the years, everybody is to learn from, I am also equal to everybody.
Pros
room and board.
Cons
long hours, away from family.
it was an alright place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
Nacg was alright, they had there ups and downs. Money was great but you were more of just a number. Equipment was maintained pretty good, never really had any problems with this company, but it is a big company with lots of employees.
Lots of equipment to fix, always bussy
Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ft McMurrayNovember 5, 2015
Good relationship with supervisors
very technical work
lots of troubleshooting
fast pace work place

was camp included + fly in/ fly out. in the begining I had to drive.
Pros
good relationship with supervisors
Cons
production over maintenance
Not the best place I've ever worked....
Director, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2015
North American has bad habit of letting "the good ones" go for poor reasoning. In my 6 years, the company went thru 6 major restructuring or downsizing exercises. There is very much a boys club mentality in this organization making it difficult for people who are deemed not a fit for the club to survive and thrive.
Pros
always lots to do, diversity in the role
Cons
poor management, poor morale, lack of direction, politics
High expectations with little to no support
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  EdmontonDecember 21, 2012
Expectations for salary staff to stay until the job was done but asking for time off in exchange later was discouraged. The management in procurement created a toxic environment and training was minimal. My co-workers were the best part of the job, they where all pleasant hard working well educated people. Internal applications to switch departments in order to stay with the company were never acknowledged. At the end of the day the money was good and the coworkers great but thats where it stopped.
Pros
wages and benefits were good
Cons
toxic environment with little support from management
NACG
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort HillsJuly 3, 2015
Building ORE preparation Plant MSE Walls for Suncor Fort Hills project (OPP)
• Placing MSE Wall Panels for crusher pocket
• Backfilling and finishing work by leveling ground conditions
• Operate Loader to move material, dirt removal and dirt placement
• Building rumps for light vehicles and heavy haulers
• Loading 40 ton rock trucks
• Off-loading and loading drainage pipe and placing culvert for road way drain system
Ok place to work
Excavator Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayAugust 24, 2015
they are ok to work for deoending on who is running the job, they can be cheap as well. I've worked for better and I've worked for worse but I like the job I have with them at the moment.
fun place to work
haul truck driver/heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 6, 2015
very good job, worked with some great guys, management was good, very safe environment to work in, the worst part of the job was losing work due to poor weather conditions and id have to say the best part of the job was staying in a nice camp and meeting new people.
Pros
camp
Cons
long nightshifts
Bad Management/Supervisors
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayNovember 29, 2014
If you are not from Newfoundland you are not part of their "family", therefore you do not belong (in their oilsands operations). Work isn't steady, no job security.
Pros
great people minus upper management
Cons
excessive favouritism to east coasters
Great place to work.Couldn`t ask for better co-workers.
Haul Truck Driver (Heavy Hauler) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 20, 2015
A typical day at work driving a heavy hauler.The people I worked with were great,I have learned alot from them.The hardest part of the job is focus. You have to concentrate on what your doing and where your going.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Only have 5 days home
Have been called for other jobs due to my work ethic.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2015
I get on provided bussing at 4:45 AM to arrive at CNRL Horizon site for 6 AM. From there I get in a van which takes us to our work site. Attend pre-work and safety meetings, then start the work day. I have an excellent crew and our supervision is outstanding.
Pros
Able to sleep on the bus ride.
Cons
12 hours work, 15 hour day.
Good work site
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABAugust 30, 2014
Foreman Duties as well General Foreman duties. Track time materials and equipment hours. Work directly with Esso contract coordinators. Crew line ups. conduct JSA reviews. Also prepare JSA's . conduct morning PSI as well as discuss safety topics with crew. Insure job set up is safe for all employees. Monitor job progress and document daily. My job can change with little notice. We work in the mine at Kearl, as Mine Support. Also tailings reclamation . Ditching projects, soils reclamation, We have large equipment, haul trucks, dozers, excavators, graders,and wheel loaders. I over see deferent types of work areas in and out of the mine. I always try to be a positive leader, my own experience as an operator, helps me under stand issues that employees and co-workers deal with preforming there tasks.
Pros
ten and ten schedule, large executive room
Cons
camp is very large. travel to site is half hour one way. travel alowance is small
Working with NACG was an pleasureable learning experience!
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Acheson, ABAugust 15, 2012
Every day is a new experience with new challenges and through each experience I learned something new. The hardest part of my job is the insecurity of not knowing what will happen next layoffs or transfers. Management i'm not sure of because there was little to no interaction. I enjoy working with others.
Pros
safety rewards
Very Unstable Company
Manager, Business Solutions (Former Employee) –  EdmontonFebruary 7, 2015
Horrific management, lack of work and chronic infighting make this place a horrible place to work.

Finance controls every aspect of the company to the detriment of long time staff.

Zero staff loyalty - well known for letting go senior staff.
Cons
horrible treatment of staff, no direction, toxic environment
Enjoyable fast pace enviroment, many great people to work with.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 20, 2014
My time at NACG was great, had the opportunity to advance and excel been offered, I would still be there today.
Pros
great work schedules, a good company to promote training.
Cons
aging senior management not promoting growth within.