Founded in 1977, Norsat International Inc. is a leading provider of innovative communication solutions that enable the transmission of data, audio and video for remote and challenging applications. Norsat’s products and services include leading-edge product design and development, production, distribution and infield support and service of fly-away satellite terminals, microwave components, M2M Solutions, antennas, Radio Frequency (RF) conditioning products, maritime based satellite terminals and remote network connectivity solutions. Additionally, through its Norsat Power Solutions segment, Norsat is a provider of power conversion and energy storage solutions for the communications, transportation and resource sectors. More information is available at www.norsat.com.
Norsat is a secure facility, thus all employment is contingent upon the candidate successfully passing a federal security screening.
As the Purchaser, you are responsible for the timely procurement of goods and services to ensure cost effective commensurate with quality. You must promote and maintain a high level of communication and liaison with the external supplier community and internal departments. It is expected that you will conduct business with the best interest of Norsat in mind while following strong ethical and moral values.
- Ensure all purchasing is in compliance with regulations and laws related to purchasing practices and in accordance with Norsat standard practices;
- Place purchase orders to ensure timely delivery of parts and components to meet production schedule;
- Analyze current procurement activities and recommends improvement through more efficient procurement methods, quantity discounts, standardization, value analysis and cooperative purchasing;
- Solicit information regarding a variety of commodities from vendors to ensure cost effective commensurate with quality; recommend cost-effective substitute items where possible;
- Liaise between vendors, manufacturers, relevant internal departments and customers;
- Identify potential suppliers, visiting existing suppliers and building and maintain good relationships with them;
- Expedite outstanding purchase orders to ensure delivery requirements are met; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Certified Professional Purchaser accreditation and/or Business Degree an asset
- 5+ years’ experience in a purchasing role in a manufacturing environment
- Experience using an ERP/MRP system in a manufacturing environment, preferably Microsoft Dynamics NAVision.
- Understanding of the “Lean” principles of manufacturing
- Ability to work professionally with outside service providers
- Ability to develop and recommend strategies for improvements in cost reduction, quality and process improvement
- Excellent MS Office computer skills – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong team player with excellent problem and conflict solving skills; resourceful and proactive
- Commitment to product quality and delivery deadlines based on cost and time constraints
- Able to both train and learn from others
- Enthusiastic, energetic, positive working attitude
- An adaptable personality to integrate with a diverse group of people; negotiator
- Exemplary organization and time management skills; excellent multitasking ability
- Strong ethics and values
- Flexible hours
Indeed - 17 months ago