Nordstrom Employee Reviews

over promised
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  North York, ON16 May 2017
Over promised under deliver. Do not quit your current job to work here. Lots of returns due to their policy thus making it hard to make commissions...
Productive and fun work environment
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2017
Absolutely loved being a part of the Nordstrom team. By far one of the best experiences i've had in the workplace. Staff is like family, position advancement always an opportunity.
Pros
great people, comission, fun customers, positive environment
Good work environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
If your good at sales you will do well in this position.
Good Training for new employees.
Nice people to work with.
Very competitive atmosphere.
Pros
Decent wage for entry level sales field
Cons
Too much down time
fun place
Sales associated (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
had alot of fun working here. made alot of new friends as well learned to be less shy and more outgoing. it taught me to become a different person and i loved it
Pros
long breaks
Cons
far from home
Empty Promises
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2017
When I started working for the Nordstrom company back in August, they promised the world to us. We started with 800 employees all so excited to work for a company that believed in us. Slowly as the We are down to less than 300 now. Most of the good employees realized what the company was about. They were not going to make the money they said we were going to. Months passed and sales were coming in. Returns were rolling in as we were supposed to tell the customers "We have no return policy, you can bring it back for a full refund anytime" This affects your pay and the company wins by gaining the customer. The pay is terrible if you are trying to support yourself. You can work at McDonald's and make more money. Management steals your customers and they have a schedule with at least 6 different time slots. You cannot plan your life around that. Evening shifts you need to wait until the restaurant is empty before you can do your cash there are nights you will leave passed 11pm Management promise you the moon just to keep you going but they are all empty promises. It's a lie, they don't promote within maybe 10% the rest is hired from outside. Find yourself another job where you don't expect empty promises and work for a team of inexperienced managers.
Pros
Great shoes and designer handbags
Cons
Management needs to get some training on how to train better
Enjoyable Experience
Barista & Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2017
I've had plenty of ups and downs when I worked at the Chinook location when it first opened, but I was resilient because I loved the work itself, and the employees I was surrounded with. It was typically busy on weekends, and traffic is a little slow on weekdays. It's an awesome entry level job for students looking to develop their work experience, and pay was mediocre. It's not really the best place to stay employed long term unless you have expectations of wanting to grow with the company, just because the pay is not sufficient enough for a living, and your hours can get cut if the day is going by slow.
Pros
Free drinks, and half off on your meal at the bar and restaurant
Cons
Low Pay
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
Provides great training program for new hires and amazing inspiration from department managers.
Friendly and supportive team members, gives an opportunity to balance the work and personal life time.
Supportive environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Canada11 April 2017
Although it can be very very slow...Working here there are plenty of opportunities to meet your sale goals by cross selling, become informed on products/brands you don't sell in your department and assist clientele from other deparments that may become clientele for your department as well. The culture is very inviting and your managers are there to support you.
Pros
Team building excercises, town hall meetings, employee appreciation
Cons
Slow environment
Its was nice and good.. employees are frendly
Lojistic (Current Employee) –  Chinook, AB8 April 2017
Just work with the old workers nicely. Do everything that your manager says.. work with your best.. if you are going for the sales floor deal with the costumer nice and give them all your best to assist them
Pros
Sometime they have free lunch and coffe and a 20%discount for the imployees
Popular store in the heart of downtown toronto
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
A typical day at Nordstrom for me would involve doing the necessary daily tasks that will support the sales floor with selling the product which is coming in early, scanning the sales floor for ay sale items, processing merchandise and bringing them to the right department, stock items and make sure every aspect of my job is up to standard.
Pros
benefits, location
Cons
too many chefs in the kitchen
Wonderful Place to Work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2017
The management was constantly asking our opinions trying to help our workplace life, the benefits were great, and just the right amount of competitive feel. Constantly on your feet but in a positive and encouraging enviroment!
Enjoyable
Men's assistant department manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2017
Positive learning environment, filled with challenges and new opportunities. Truly inspirational. Positive and motivating workplace culture is contagious.
Great coworkers. Terrible management and job advancement
Line/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2017
Had the pleasure of making some very good friends and making a few good memories in the nearly year and a half I worked there. Great benefits package and having sick days/vacation time each year is a great perk. Found kitchen management to be lacking in leadership and inexperienced.
Pros
Paid sick days and Paid vacation days.
Cons
Management.
Great environment to work at!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON3 March 2017
Leaders and Supervisors are helpful and very hands on when training. Weeks long training before put on floor to ensure that as an employee, one can give the best service we can offer as a Nordstrom's represensative. Great area to improve!
Pros
Insurance for full timers, Commission, Management team
Fun and good work experience
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2017
A typical day at work would be coming in and checking updates (new stock/product, customer e-mails and following up), after that would be just focusing on selling and giving amazing service.

At my time here at Nordstrom, I've learnt more about how business and service works comparative to being in business school. There's such an obtuse amount of skills to learn, especially when you make your own paychecks. The big thing I learnt was it's all about the connection and the relationship that is built when you meet a customer, you want them to come back to you because you connect with them on a different level and not just trying to sell to them.

Management is a interesting thing here, it changed quite often as they promote within; So there's a lot o movement within the company every so month or two. Managers are generally very pushy when it comes to making sale goals but that just has to do with the nature of retail. Although, my experience with management has been for the most part positive here. They genuinely care and want you to succeed as much as possible, there are times were its not very consistent about their support.

The hardest part of my job is when working in commission its very unstable but also as much as I love working as a team there are people who will absolutely dislike you for being successful in sales. It makes it very hard to work with, but when you are successful, other successful people surround you with positivity and customer can see that and enjoy being around you and creating a relationship, that is what I enjoy the most.
Fun work place
Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2017
Fun workplace
Good support for management
Support in growth
Get to make your own pay cheque
New store openings have room for new opportunities
Good learning experience in sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
Fundamentally strong company with great working environment and a lot of scope to learn about the fashion industry. Excellent support by the management and very friendly approach towards the team.
Well run business which does pay a living wage.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Nordstrom is a major retail merchandiser with a successful presence in the North American market. It is well designed and very well managed, as you would expect.

There is a commission policy in place to encourage sales staff but the sales threshold required for the policy to be enacted make it impossible to achieve. There is the illusion of a fair compensation policy. Benefits other than wages are good and encourage staff retention but you cannot live in Toronto on the wages earned.
Pros
Well structured and highly organised.
Cons
You cannot earn enough money to pay your rent and eat.
With a better manager it would have been a better experience
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON15 February 2017
Was not expecting it to be the way it did ,

Hoped it would have been a better experience as it was not how it been presented to me .

Maybe with a different manager it would have a different experience
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
bad manager
fun place to work great staff
B.P SHOES SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON13 February 2017
*Learned excellent customer service skill
*Typical day at work consists of working as a team, working on stock room, serving customers, following up with customers
* hardest part of the job was selling consistently
*most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team, and meeting new people
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
time in sales floor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.