Nordstrom Employee Reviews in Canada

Exciting work atmosphere with amazing and enthusiastic employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 2, 2016
Overall, I had a really positive experience working at Nordstrom. The people are amazing, the customer service is like no other store I have ever seen, and the overall atmosphere is really fun and bubbly!
Working with Amazing People
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Nordstrom. I was one of the first salespeople hired to open the first International Nordstrom location. Most of the other salespeople were friendly and I enjoyed working with them. I worked in menswear and the environment could go from really busy one second, to completely dead the next. I learned from Nordstrom that working in a fast paced environment can be difficult at times, but if you manage your time properly, you can get a lot accomplished.
Pros
Discounts on clothing, amazing co-workers, discounts in the restaurant.
Cons
Inexperienced management, cut throat commission environment.
Sales associate/Stylist - BP/Savvy (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 26, 2016
Loved working here, very customer and sales focused but excellent in terms of team work. Loved being able to see customers leave the store happy with their purchases and return back and comment on the excellent customer service they received.
Extremely fast paced work place with a huge variety in customers and products sold.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 7, 2016
It was a very self motivating environment. Being a sales associates was quite rewarding because we would receive special gifts based upon sales and effort. A typical day at work would be making appointments, and helping every customer that comes your way as best as possible. I learned to be independent and how to control my sales and maintain my sales above my expected quota. Management could be a little more hands on. The hardest part of the job was trying to avoid returns. The most enjoyable part of the job was that iwas able to control my own check
Pros
Commission
Cons
Long Hours
Supportive, with a great staff
Sales Associate/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
You are the entrepreneur of your own business. Nordstrom supplies you with the tools to achieve any goals you may have. They have a very supportive management team. If you are a hard worker, you will really shine with this company
Pros
Constant feedback, quarterly reviews, free breakfast/lunches
The top dog of retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 11, 2016
It's probably the best retail job you will ever land. The services are great and you have a lot of flexibility to say YES to your customer. Your environment is very elegant and it is in the heart of downtown Vancouver.

But at the end of the day, it's still a retail job.
Pros
Elegant environment
Cons
Still commission based on slow months
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 2, 2016
Managers are base plus commission and sales are base or commission only. Management will steal your sales. Stressful environment.
Nordstrom
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2016
Nordstrom is like any retail job when working on commission. High in drama yet can be very rewarding if you are passionate about providing great service. The pay is unpredictable which can be a high cause of stress if one is not used to working in such an environment.
Customer Service Oriented Workplace
Men's Designer Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 15, 2015
At Nordstrom, as an employee, we are required to clean and maintain the appearance of the sales floor.
We were required to adapt to our surroundings, and work in a team environment or independently.
Management was present to assist if we had questions, but they lead the team in a way where we should try to resolve our own issues.
Co-workers are very friendly but working in a sales environment, it can sometimes be very aggressive.
I really enjoyed the freedom as a stylist. I can assist customers throughout the store, not just in the department I work from.
Productive, fun, stress-free environment
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rimbey, ABDecember 7, 2015
Nordstrom Dental was a general dental office that offered orthodontics. Nordstrom Dental was a positive, fun, work environment. Family owned business, and managed his own staff. Easy to get along with and talk to. Nordstrom Dental was a very clean organized dental clinic. There were three assistants and two hygienist, all got along great at work and outside of work. I got to use all my skills as a level two dental assistant along with my expanded function in orthodontics. I also was trained on Dentrix G4 software. The dental office was ran efficiently with rarely running behind or over schedule, which made it a stress free environment. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot of organization skills.
Pros
stress free environment
fun place to work
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 1, 2015
I really enjoy working here. not only do I build relationships with the people in my department and all the employees but also with my customers. a lot of customers I have worked with become close acquaintances. they always come say hi to me and a lot only want to shop with me.
Pros
freedom, learning, shifts arent bad
Cons
some miswcommunication, hard to learn lots of product but it gets easier
Cutthroat company culture where employees have no ethics
Employee (Former Employee) –  CanadaNovember 24, 2015
- the sales people are catty, judgemental, cutthroat (despite the company's best efforts to convince you this is not the culture, it IS and it's gross)
- it felt bad to go to work here every day; the employees are generally unhappy and it spreads throughout the departments
- they will pay you slightly above industry average as a salaried employee
- if you are a commission based employee, you will have to cut throats and shark other people's sales to make a decent wage
Upscale Retail Sales with Casual Fine Dining Restaurant
Bazille Supervisor, Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 25, 2015
New to Canada, Nordstrom has carefully considered every detail in coming to a new demographic and marketplace. The retail side of the store is impeccable with beautiful displays, spacious areas for shopping, and knowledgeable sales staff available to each customer for assistance.
The restaurant is a comfortable and entertaining atmosphere with an upbeat attitude towards upscale casual dining. The menu is an inspired North American take on French bistro cuisine all made in their innovative "scratch kitchen".
Training was thorough and detail-oriented for an incredible addition to the Rideau Centre.
Customer service is the main priority in this company and all else is a far second.
Amazing place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2015
It is a great place to work. Exceptional salary and benefits. A place that helps you improve your communication skills. I made a lot of friends here from my employees to my customers.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Commission
Good Company
Personal Stylist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa,OnAugust 17, 2015
Is a great company to work for if you enjoy fashion. Base pay + commission is good and all but it is hard to always meet targets. Especially working in a city like Ottawa that is new to Nordstrom. Im sure you would make a killing working and the future locations in Toronto.
what an awful place
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 12, 2015
So lets start in the interview. Brand new store, brand new staff, everyone is excited...
I ask two important (to me) questions. Will I be guaranteed 40 hours a week? And is there a dress code?
I was told yes, absolutely you will be get 40 hours a week and the only rule for dress is that its professional.
Perfect. I quit two amazing jobs thinking that I could climb the ranks at Nordstrom.
During training (which took a month) we set up the store while learning about the policies and procedures. Any questions that our department managers didn't know usually came back with two or three different answers...depending on who you asked. Plus because they really didn't know what we should be doing between lessons we were often left to our own devices, then reprimanded for not keeping busy...even though we didn't know what to do.
So after we opened the store and got into the swing of things I look at my schedule to see I only have 28 hours a week. That's what they consider full time. And I get scolded for wearing sandals. Only certain departments are allowed to wear sandals...good thing there's no dress code right?
Then all my co workers turn into enemies because we're all fighting for customers and commission. Managers are encouraging their staff to go in other departments and poach customers. We can't keep important supplies at our cash because they would rather the cash wrap look nice and have me take 5 minutes to go get a gift box from the back room on the other side of the store. Then it's the 'look busy' rule. Meanwhile my department is spotless and there's no customers
  more... in the store. I'll just unfold and refold this scarf.
So after allllll that. I decide to look for another job. Leaving work angry every day wasn't worth it. I found one, so I put in my two weeks notice with HR. Because of their open door honest policy I thought I should tell the real reason why I'm leaving. I thought it was a horrible retail environment. After I hand in my sheet and go about my merry way I get called back to HR and brought in a little room. the HR director tried to ask me about why I don't like it there and I was honest and said I really didn't want to talk about it and my manager knows all the details anyway. She said 'Well since we don't know that you'll give Nordstrom quality service because you're unhappy here, today will have to be your last day' Meanwhile, I'm at the top of my department and have gotten many customer compliments about my service. I demanded she call my manager (who didnt even know this was happening) and because he knew the whole situation he fought for me. But I was so insulted I just left.
Since I left I heard they have fired two managers, two assistant managers and at least 10 people have quit for similar reasons.

If you can put on a fake attitude and take orders no matter how dumb they are and you don't need this money to live, this is the job for you. Don't let the free food and 'prizes' fool you. They want your soul.
Great work enviornment, great team.
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
I was hired on as seasonal member of the logistics team for their anniversary sale and I enjoyed going to work every day. I was a little sad that my contract was coming to an end. They had a few positions open at the end of the contract for new members of the team,unfortunately I didn't make the cut. Nordstrom likes to hire and promote form within, so those open positions went to people who had transferred from other positions. However, the logistics manager left the door open for any other opportunities in the future that may arise. Overall, I enjoyed my time there and opportunity to be a part of the team.
Pros
20% employee discount on all merchandise, restaurant and cafe.
Cons
long over night hours.
fun and productive work place
Inventory Coordinator/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 13, 2015
I enjoyed working at the Nordstrom Warehouse sale because the work environment was very welcoming, everyone contributed to a well organized team work/leadership and keeping the warehouse tidy and organized was an important task while working.
Pros
Employee Discounts on items
Everyday policy change
At Home Department Stylist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 18, 2015
At hiring, they give false promises about Inverted Pyramid, and that you come first. When treated like the lowest of the low. Everyday something will change, whether a change in how the workplace works, with no desire to change at all when employees come up with their concern as their "Open Door Policy" says.

The benefits are awesome, the discount not so much. Sales staff and some department managers are awesome.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work environment
ADM (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 31, 2015
Work is fun, if there's customers around. Location of this store was bad and no customers were around. People had money, but none were willing to spend it on such expensive fashion items.