Nordstrom Employee Reviews

With a better manager it would have been a better experience
Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON15 February 2017
Was not expecting it to be the way it did ,

Hoped it would have been a better experience as it was not how it been presented to me .

Maybe with a different manager it would have a different experience
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
bad manager
A good start to work
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
The good thing about Nordstrom is that you get along with your co-workers and you establish a good relationship. A typical day at Nordstrom, is to clock in when you arrive at work, and clock out when you're having lunch and also clock in when you're back from lunch etc. To clock in means that you're ggetting paid hourly.

Nordstrom was my first job in Canada, and as a Norwegian immigrant, I found it a good working experience. I learned so much about the environent and a typical day at work.

The management could have done better to treat you employees fair and be honest and give us a week notice if something happens.

The hardest part of the job was to make commison.

The enjoyable part of the job was sales and getting good customers.
Working at Nordy...
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
A lot of hard work put into the job for not enough pay.

Management is okay. They attempt to support the team, but they also tend to compete with the sales representatives for sales/commission.

The most enjoyable part is the people working there and the feeling all the love everyone gives to one another.
Pros
Great energy!
Cons
Pay sucks.
Overall a good retail job.
Dior Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Good work environment and culture. Excellent pay and benefits. Management sometimes doesn't have the best handle on things and your told conflicting things from different levels of management.
Pros
Hourly wage
Cons
Retail hours
Very Sales driven environment. Cut Throat
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Pay sales associates terrible wages.
Very cut throat environment.
High turn over rate
Commission driven environment
Management are only focused on results.
Cons
Long hours, rude management, demotivated staff
customer first environment.
Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2017
Overall its an work environment that values each sales person and customer. Fast pace and looks to build long lasting relationships with each and every customer .. if possible
Pros
staff members
Cons
can become boring.
Visual Merchandising/ Personal Styling
Visual Merchandiser/ Stylist/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON19 January 2017
It is a fun company to work for, great customer service practices, and has an excellent return policy. Visual Merchandising and styling is great. The workplace culture is amazing with a diversity of employees. The most enjoyable moments are making the customers satisfied, do the visual merchandising, and styling people and the mannequins.
Pros
Great Customer Service
Cons
Need more of a selection of designers
Fun and a great place to work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was the customer relationships that you build with so many types of people and having a personal, but different connection with each and everyone of them.
Pros
wardrobing and making clients feel good
Cons
retail will be retail
Great money, great benefits, organized work environment, super catty atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
When working for Nordstrom, you'll find it super organized and smoothly ran, from your department team to the Human Resources office. You will make good money if you treat your job seriously and if you are a full time employee you will even receive a very nice benefits package. The atmosphere however is super catty, in the restaurant and on the retail floor there is always petty drama, people arguing over guests and talking behind each others' backs, forming cliques and even subtle bullying. And in the regularly occuring store rallies and morning meetings, there is plenty of propaganda about how Nordstrom is the best company in the world and everything is rainbows and butterflies. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it just gets a little annoying when the upper management is so obviously faking the peppy happy attitude while letting the drama happen to openly in the backrooms, sometimes even joining in on it. But you won't see much of that unless you get more involved with the company.
They are very good with work life balance. This is a perfect job for part time students who don't mind what their coworkers might think about them behind their back.
Pros
Good money, good benefits, very accomodating
Cons
Abundant with petty drama
Exciting, personal and stylish place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2017
Work at Nordstrom was very independent based. Commission salaries made a fun competitive environment. The management and co-workers worked well as a team and understood that success came from the balance between relying on each other and ourselves. The hardest part of the job was consistently making store productivity goals during this recession. Pushing for sales was a must during times when people did not want to spend money. The most enjoyable part of the job was using my creativity to create outfits and personal connections with my clients while making good sales.
Fun, exciting diverse workplace
Seasonal Support/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
Nordstrom is a very exciting place to work. The atmosphere is fun and you learn new skills and apply it to the job. It is a fast paced environment with very culturally diverse people. As a sales person, you must be very welcoming and have the ability to sell. My co workers were one of the reasons i LOVED coming to work. They are very kind, helpful and outgoing. The hardest part is managing working and school. I live in Surrey, therefore, the commute was the hardest. It took me an hour and half to get to work. However, once i got there the funnest part was bonding with customers and interacting with new people.
Pros
the discount
Cons
It was hard for me to manage my school with my 40 hours per week.
Terrible Management Spoiling the Potential
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2016
I worked for Nordstrom Eaton Centre in designer shoes and I have to say for a store that wants to be elevated and luxurious they hired the most unprofessional, immature and shady management team I have ever encountered. The absolute worst and because of that the staff are unhappy and feel terrible and they have some really great staff but they will all leave because of this management.
The returns are Ridiculous and this affects the staff pay so they have to deal with poor pay and poor management and that is why I left and would never recommend working for this company.
I have heard from people who have been with Nordstrom for many years that this is the worst store they have ever seen or worked in and even they feel bad.
Pros
Nice coworkers, potential, Gucci
Cons
Management, pay, discount is terrible, poor working conditions, some very shady staff who steal sales and hide product
A fun place to work with terrific people and benefits
Logistics Lead (Current Employee) –  Logistics16 November 2016
Receive incoming merchandise to stock a world class store
Learn to be flexible in diverse situations
Management is a give and take opportunity
Co-workers are fun and work hard
The job is challenging and there is always opportunity to grow and learn.
Pros
Nordstrom is a world class store
Cons
That the store didn't come to Canada sooner.
It was areally good experience to work at reatil.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2016
It was something new and challenging for me. The only problem was that it was a lite bit far for me. The environment was perfect, nice people and everyone work as a team supporting each other. I really recommend this job to everyone. This is a really good place to work, and a really big and new company in Toronto, so your changes to grow up inside the company are really big.
awsome place to woek
Commercial Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2016
they do allot of their employee, and people there just so friendly and caring, miss them all. if my husband didn,t get posted I would of stayed there for ever
Pros
had nice place eat
Cons
8 hours day and two days off
awsome place to work for
Commercial Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2016
it was good place work for ,the people weir happy go luck people all ways made you feel welcome and management were awesome, they sure know how take care of their employees,
Pros
bring our lunch in launch
Cons
8hours shift
fun place
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
It is very slow and not too many fun activities or excitement. It is very repetitive duties at the store. The same types of shift and not enough rotating shift. the pay is not worth the job.
Pros
fun
Cons
the pay
Great Customer Experiences and productive work enviroment
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2016
Customers are always taken care of in a timely manner. Management was not that good at understanding sales, salaries, and staff management. Great benefits offered. Some staff were not that pleasant to be around.
Great Work Environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 September 2016
Extremely friendly work environment, incredible staff throughout the company, and consistently interesting work. A typical day was preparing and maintaining the floor, speaking with and serving a wide variety of customers, and either opening or closing the store. The position was invaluable at growing my own sales skills, social skills, and leadership abilities.
Pros
Coworkers, customers, respect, hours
productive workplace with great teammates
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2016
A typical day at work was checking to see which routine we were all on and getting to it. I learned how to communicate and coordinate with my team members to efficiently get all our work completed. Management was fantastic, lots of motivation and help when we needed it. My co-workers were so friendly and very hard working. the hardest part of the job was balancing work and personal life since the shift went all night and then i would sleep through the morning and afternoon. The best part of the job was all the people i would meet in the morning when all the day workers would come in, everyone was so great there.
Pros
excellent benefits and good compensation
Cons
shifts were 12:30am-9am