Nordstrom

Nordstrom Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
what an awful place
Stylist (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 12, 2015
So lets start in the interview. Brand new store, brand new staff, everyone is excited...
I ask two important (to me) questions. Will I be guaranteed 40 hours a week? And is there a dress code?
I was told yes, absolutely you will be get 40 hours a week and the only rule for dress is that its professional.
Perfect. I quit two amazing jobs thinking that I could climb the ranks at Nordstrom.
During training (which took a month) we set up the store while learning about the policies and procedures. Any questions that our department managers didn't know usually came back with two or three different answers...depending on who you asked. Plus because they really didn't know what we should be doing between lessons we were often left to our own devices, then reprimanded for not keeping busy...even though we didn't know what to do.
So after we opened the store and got into the swing of things I look at my schedule to see I only have 28 hours a week. That's what they consider full time. And I get scolded for wearing sandals. Only certain departments are allowed to wear sandals...good thing there's no dress code right?
Then all my co workers turn into enemies because we're all fighting for customers and commission. Managers are encouraging their staff to go in other departments and poach customers. We can't keep important supplies at our cash because they would rather the cash wrap look nice and have me take 5 minutes to go get a gift box from the back room on the other side of the store. Then it's the 'look busy' rule. Meanwhile my department is spotless and there's no customers – more... in the store. I'll just unfold and refold this scarf.
So after allllll that. I decide to look for another job. Leaving work angry every day wasn't worth it. I found one, so I put in my two weeks notice with HR. Because of their open door honest policy I thought I should tell the real reason why I'm leaving. I thought it was a horrible retail environment. After I hand in my sheet and go about my merry way I get called back to HR and brought in a little room. the HR director tried to ask me about why I don't like it there and I was honest and said I really didn't want to talk about it and my manager knows all the details anyway. She said 'Well since we don't know that you'll give Nordstrom quality service because you're unhappy here, today will have to be your last day' Meanwhile, I'm at the top of my department and have gotten many customer compliments about my service. I demanded she call my manager (who didnt even know this was happening) and because he knew the whole situation he fought for me. But I was so insulted I just left.
Since I left I heard they have fired two managers, two assistant managers and at least 10 people have quit for similar reasons.

If you can put on a fake attitude and take orders no matter how dumb they are and you don't need this money to live, this is the job for you. Don't let the free food and 'prizes' fool you. They want your soul. – less
Great work enviornment, great team.
Logistics (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 4, 2015
Pros: 20% employee discount on all merchandise, restaurant and cafe.
Cons: long over night hours.
I was hired on as seasonal member of the logistics team for their anniversary sale and I enjoyed going to work every day. I was a little sad that my contract was coming to an end. They had a few positions open at the end of the contract for new members of the team,unfortunately I didn't make the cut. Nordstrom likes to hire and promote form within, so those open positions went to people who had transferred from other positions. However, the logistics manager left the door open for any other opportunities in the future that may arise. Overall, I enjoyed my time there and opportunity to be a part of the team.
Everyday policy change
At Home Department Stylist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: work environment
At hiring, they give false promises about Inverted Pyramid, and that you come first. When treated like the lowest of the low. Everyday something will change, whether a change in how the workplace works, with no desire to change at all when employees come up with their concern as their "Open Door Policy" says.

The benefits are awesome, the discount not so much. Sales staff and some department managers are awesome.
ADM (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 31, 2015
Work is fun, if there's customers around. Location of this store was bad and no customers were around. People had money, but none were willing to spend it on such expensive fashion items.
Fast paced environment with many opportunities over time.
Stylist / Women's Designer Shoes (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: working with diverse types of people
Cons: low pay
Nordstrom can be a very rewarding company if you dedicate your whole being to it. You are never board working at Nordstrom, there are always tasks that need to be completed. Management is good, they listen to your concerns and do their best to resolve the issues in a professional manor. My co-workers for the most part are respectful, professional and enjoyable to be around. The hardest part of my job is balancing the back of house tasks with selling. The most enjoyable part about my position with Nordstrom is consistently dealing with people!
Enjoyable
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee), CalgaryFebruary 2, 2015
Nice company, fitting in with the culture is a must though otherwise you will not enjoy your time there and will not advance very far.
Good place to work if I was still living with my parents
Jewellery sales (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 17, 2014
Pros: benefits, within promotion
Cons: long-hours, terrible pay
Great place to work if you are looking for friends! I've meet a lot of people, the entire work place is a family environment The work is easy - Sell! However there are downsides,
Management can be condescending and unhelpful, they will push you to sell the most however at the same time over-staff the floor. Meaning you are fighting over 1 customer with 16 other department employees (point of view from jewelry department). This creates a hostel work environment. The return policy conflicts with your pay cheque much more then it would if you were to work elsewhere.
It's fair to say at this job that is commission based.. you can not judge how you are as a sales person. They set you up to fail. I personally did in-between average sales to top sales per shift, I have had to struggle through fighting over that 1 customer during slow days and have huge returns on items that have been clearly worn.
The company has lost many employees due to have too many people working at the same time. This is not a job you can live off of! It's a good time for part-time students I suppose, if you meet their part-time requirements.
Great benefits, all management once started as a sales person therefor they only promote within which is good if you have the patience and the money!
Fun and stressfree environment
Salesperson (Current Employee), Troy, MIMarch 5, 2014
Love this place! Employees always score great deals and my co-workers are awesome!
it is definetly an exciting place to meet wonderful people
taylor semstress (Current Employee), Warwick, QCApril 24, 2013
Pros: i love the fact that customers come back and ask for me by name
Cons: distance between work and home is long for me
open tailor shop and prepare garment to be altered,learned that pleasing customers is very important factor,management is dynamic .People I work with are really fun .The distance between work and home is far and we get these wonderful discounts on designer clothes.
Headquarters