No Frills Employee Reviews

Flexible hours and good work/life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2015
Not a difficult job as you mostly just scan and collect money. The hours are very flexible, you could have your availability for just weekends, provided that you've worked there for a bit and you have a reasonable excuse such as school. Half of my co workers are teenagers and the other half are in their 30s+. The pay isn't that great, if you're under 18 you only get $10.30, once your 18 or older its $11. It's a pretty boring job as your standing for hours repeating the same thing and performing the same actions, your feet will end up killing by the time your shift is done. However, if you need some money on the side of your busy life, this job wouldn't be half bad.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long relentless hours
Enjoyable place to work
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJune 2, 2015
Typical day at Nofrills included simple and easy tasks given to you by the managers, never had to put much thought into the work you do. Working as a grocery clerk your job consists of stocking shelves (including doing overstock), helping customers and cleaning up the aisles.
What I learned - new ways to quickly get stock out on the floor while memorizing where each product goes.
Management was decent, although there was a lack of communications between the employer and the employees.
Co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
Hardest part of the job was keeping displays and end caps clean on big sale days.
Most enjoyable - being able to work by myself and run most of the department by myself.
Pros
Staff/Coworkers
Cons
Keeping department clean
No Frills-Part-Time
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
Wonderful people to work with and customers were nice. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested. There isn't much else to tell about this workplace.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Hard work
It payed the bills
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABApril 4, 2013
While working at No Frills I, like many of the other employees received little hours so we couldn't receive benefits. It was a decent job for after school and helped pay my insurance but was not my best experience.
Pros
helped me get some extra cash
Cons
low pay, low hours
Very good management but not my kind of workplace
Bakery/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 21, 2015
A typical day at No Frills was pretty straight forward; open, reduce, than stock and clean until close. I definetly learned a few things while being employed at No Frills, one of the main things being that the grocery/supermarket business really wasn't for me. I started out training in the produce department, until I sliced my thumb open cutting celery. I was bleeding so profusely that my body felt weak and my head felt weary. After that shift, I was then transferred to the bakery stock department. After about a week into training I felt extremely comfortable with the daily routine and almost all of the tasks at hand, but in the freezer there would be stock from other departments blocking my products, and I physically didn't have the strength to move the pallets with a pallet jack, nor did I feel comfortable with using an electric hand jack, so that was when I had decided it was time I left No Frills. I didn't feel comfortable with what I was doing so now I'm trying to pursue something I'd have a better chance of professing in; such as a customer service represenitive (with emphasis in the fashion industry because I'm so into clothing and dressing up) or a cashier, with my bright, cheerful attitude and my will to help others get to where they need to be.
Pros
Long hours, good management, good supervision.
Cons
Cooler set up, employees (grocery department)
i do not recomend no frills.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 13, 2013
exellent quality of produce,do not like the central cut program for meat department.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no raises
easy and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 19, 2013
No Frills is my temporary job because it is part time but i do like working there and learning about new cultures and different foods.
benefits
Cons
not enough hours
grave yard shift
stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 5, 2015
typical day you get to work at 11 o clock at night to 7 30 in the morning
learned how to use a pallet jack
management was not to great had nice people but you could tell they didn't want do much
co workers were great they make the day go by fast cause u actually
enjoying being around them
hardest part of the job was that it was from 11 pm - 7 30 am
the most enjoyable part was that people
Pros
easy
Cons
bad hours
Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 10, 2015
Really enjoyed working here. It was fun and energetic and a great learning experience. My co workers were extremely helpful with helping me get started and knowing how to deal with customers on a day to day.
The hardest part of the job would have to be being around alot of perople i didnt know and had to teach them how to it right.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa. OntSeptember 29, 2015
Had to make sure everyone was keeping up to the quota and I was responsible for the paper work . I had to make sure everyone was wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) looked after about 10 -15 people.
Pros
Night job
Cons
Usually very slow except when online
Stocker
Stocker/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  markhamSeptember 1, 2015
Receive shipments and restock dairy department. This job was enjoyable I was always busy and the staff was amazing. The hours were good and the work/life balance was as well.
NoFrills
Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABNovember 7, 2015
It is a very demanding job if you are not use to the physical labour. I enjoy how it is ran and find the owners are wonderful. I've felt welcomed since I started there and sadly had to leave due to moving
Overall a good place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSOctober 16, 2014
In a typical day I would be tasked with loading and unloading trucks via Forklift (Raymond), managing stock, filling stock to shelves, refilling display stock and rotation of perishable stock (dairy, produce, bread, etc).

Management was generally very easy to work with and was flexible and accommodating to me during my time in University and High School and gave clear instructions on my tasks.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with and made work very enjoyable and less monotonous each day (Many of my tasks were repetitive in nature).
Pros
great staff and management
Cons
little room for advancement
A normal day at work
General All around store clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 16, 2015
Arrived at work and asked my manager what needs to be done for the day, I would write down all my duties of the day.
After I start my duties I made sure that my working area is clean and organized so I can see what items I needed to re-stock.
If I finished all my duties earlier I would ask my manager which area needs to be re-stock or clean and proceeded to do whatever was needed.
Pros
great hours, good team members, excellent management, friendly environment
high volume, fast pace
Full Time Positions (Current Employee) –  brighton ontOctober 25, 2015
dealing with the public is so exusting and so rewording at the same time, can be repetitive and exciting at the same time very eventful, never no what days like.
Great Place Great Staff
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABOctober 25, 2015
Very fun and relaxing place to work, Learned plenty to take with me to new choices of work in life. I enjoyed my time working for this company
fun workplace with great supporting staff
Stock Boy (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 23, 2015
had a a great time stocking the shelves of the store while helping out customer problems in finding an item or specific section of the store.

management was super friendly and always eager to help or answer any of my questions
Pros
generally simple job description
Cons
hours were short
fun place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEOctober 8, 2015
this was a great job for after school, kept my weekdays busy and allowed me to gain customer service experience. My boss was great and was very understanding anytime i needed time off for tests
Not a very well managed store
Dairy Manager/Store clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 17, 2015
-depending on which department I was working in I would place orders for any products needed on the shelves, mostly in the dairy department. Organize products, stock shelves, handle any customer questions and much more

-I learned how to handle customer questions and provide excellent service and also how to manage the dairy department

-I was promoted to Dairy manager

-Fun working environment and had lots of co-workers

-Working extremely hard for little pay

-Worked with a lot of my friends
Pros
was good in deciding what i wanted to do with my life
Cons
i was not able to meet my full potential in this career
Nightshift is hard work and adjusting to the schedule is also a difficult task.
Nightshift staff (Former Employee) –  VaughanSeptember 10, 2015
After a few days of working, i was thinking about quitting and luckily a few of my friends were hired as well and we tried our best to be positive and get the job done
Pros
Play music over P.A speaker

2.8