No Frills Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun Workplace
No Frills Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
I enjoy working here a lot. I've been at this location for almost 4 years and feel like everyone is my family in here. My co-workers are one of the reasons why I go to work so i enjoy working in a team. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with customers who don't think that you don't know what youre doing.
productive and energetic place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2014
I loved working with all my co-workers.. being there to help in any way I knew how too.
Management was great, if I had a problem they were right on top of it to get it fixed and dealt with...
the hardest part of the day was having to work by myself and be on my feet all day.
I was always on the closing shift from 4-10pm. I didn't mind it.
Pros
seeing alot of happy customers
First job it was okay
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Peace River, ABMay 24, 2015
For a first job it was alright... Honestly every problem i had with it was management. Owner was rude and played favorites. but all the co-workers were great. And it wasn't a hard job by any means.
No frills is a fun and easy place to work
grocery stocker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 5, 2015
Days that i had work were still enjoyable because the management were organized and yet liked to laugh. I enjoyed mostly every day i worked there and people that worked there were nice and productive. It was a very stress free work environment.
Pros
nice people, easy job, and organized work environment, flexible hours
Cons
it took an hour to get there and an hour and 15 minutes to get back home.
Secure workplace with great co-workers however I do not receive many hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2015
Nofrills is a very secure job that provides enough hours when enrolled in school however it does not provide enough hours when school is not in session. The environment and co workers are all very friendly and outgoing, after three years of working with them they have truly become my family, however it is time for me to move on in order to build on my experience. A typical day at work involves me cashing out customers groceries, facing the store, doing returns and attending to all customer inquiries. There is nothing very hard about the job for me, the only negative thing that comes to mind is the lack of hours I receive. The most enjoyable part of the job is certainly interacting with the customers and the strong bond I have developed with my coworkers.
flexible schedule
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioApril 17, 2014
Was very flexible for students, some of the management were very nice but some were rude, and the lunch room was always messy and not a nice atmosphere to spend your break in.
Pros
flexible schedule for students
Cons
pay, long hours of standing in one spot hard on the body and sanity!
take care of all issues at the front of the store
Customer Service Representative, Nick's No Frills (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
I worked at the front cashing people out and address people who have issues, I also helped in every aspect of the store.
Which means that l'm good at everything I put my mind too.
Pros
dealing with people
Cons
the long lines when i get very busy
Productive no non-sense workplace.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at No Frills is you clocking in and getting straight to work. This harsh work environment promotes productivity and teaches you time management skills in the process. The managers are always down your backs which pushes you to work even harder. The hardest part of the job is keeping up the pace with the environment.
Pros
company parties
Cons
harsh work environment
flexable place to work.
Customer service/Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 16, 2015
very flexible hours. nice people. equal opportunity employer. great for part time work. It's nice working with lots of different people. Sometimes dealing with customers can be difficult, but most of the time its very good.
Fast-paced customer-oriented environment
Customer Service and Cash Office (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 7, 2013
A typical day at work consists of either opening or closing the front end of the store. This includes counting cash registers and ensuring all money balances. A regular day at work always involves satisfying customers' interests. The biggest thing that I have learned while working at No Frills is that communication is key to providing customers with exceptional service. The management at my work is great and always able to assist with any questions myself and co-workers have. Every day is enjoyable at work since I have such great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is telling a customer something they do not want to hear. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different people every day.
Hard work with pretty good management
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, OntarioOctober 6, 2013
I worked at no frills briefly and I can't say I work there again. I felt that although I was earning minimum wage I was not paid a good amount for all the work I was doing. I used to be very skinny with very little muscle mass which does not work well with this sort of job. There was always a high amount of shopping carts in the parking lot that I had to return but no machine to me return them. It got rather hectic during a holiday. The managers were really good and knew their stuff although I was not given enough training for a first time job. I later found out that some employees were stealing. The job was just a short bus ride away which was awesome. I left because of school but I could not see my self working there more then a year or so unlike blockbuster.
Pros
i like working with food, knowledgeable management, close to work
Cons
stealing employee, physically difficult with only minimum wage as payment, lot's of carts to return
Great Morale
Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, ONNovember 30, 2014
We start early in the morning, when the trucks arrive we start working the daily load of stock. I learned how to provide good customer service as well as how to properly maintain a grocery store. Management was a little bit up and down, great one day and very pushy the next. Co-workers are great, make the day go by a lot better. Hardest part is making sure the quality of the store is maintained, especially on busy days. Most enjoyable part is being able to work with friends, great family atmosphere.
Productive place to work at with fun, hard working employers.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day at work was to begin by stack eggs to make sure there full, then always checking the milk crates to see when it is needed to be stacked to be filled. After, we go stack any new packages that arrive and face products on the shelves. The management of the dairy department was very calm and relaxed but also stressed on the importance of being a hard worker and likes things done with 100% effort. The co-workers where very insightful and friendly. Hardest part of the job was the fast paced movement and getting everything done before your time expires.
Pros
pay was weekly and you get free lunch on holidays such as christmas and thanksgiving.
Cons
distance between my house and job was far, and you're always kept longer than when your shift is over
Excellent Managment and Staff
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  1226 Place d'Orleans Dr.February 13, 2014
Upon arrival at work I survey my department and take note of any missing or low inventory and immediately refill the items. Throughout the day I assess the displays and bring out any product which needs topping up, while maintaining my stock area free of any clutter; this involves either cleaning the counters or reducing skids. If I see any customers having difficulty I approach them and offer my assistance. Both Management and Co-Workers are exceptionally friendly and approachable, for the most part everyone has a smile on their face and I've never hesitated in asking anyone a question work related or otherwise. The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant interaction with customers and co-workers as well as the opportunity to familiarize myself with different fruits and vegetables, as it compliments my health related interests.
Pros
friendly and approachable staff
Cons
few hours
Productive upbeat workplace
Inventory Control Clerk (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ONOctober 24, 2012
Days went by fst because there were always good people around. I learned time management and all the background work that goes into getting product too the shelves and how much product there really is. Management was good and always on the floor doing work part timers would do which made me feel he really enjoyed what he did. Hardest part of the job was pushing the carts outside because we did not have the motorized vehicle which pushes them, yet that made it somewhat fun knowing I was also getting a work out. The part in which I most enjoyed about No Frills in Napanee is everyone seemed to get a long at some point and people would laugh and joke around while having a good time.
productive work environment
produce clerk/ grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2014
no frills is a pretty good place to work a side from the fact that there is a lot of talking behind employees backs and the management didn't act like management whatsoever. although that was only at the one location and from that point there is a new owner now and i believe he runs the place a lot better.
Pros
depending on the shift you can get payed breaks
Cons
like stated above a lot of talking behind backs
No Frills review
Meat & Deli (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKDecember 23, 2013
A typical day was always different which I enjoyed.
What I learned is how a meat department is run.
Management was great, they understood me and my personality.
Co-workers were so-so, I believe there's a time and place to share information about themselves and others.
The hardest part of my job was coming out of my shyness, but it has improved during my time away from there. Also not having the right answers for the customers. I felt like I wasn't fulfilling the customers needs because they would ask the oddest questions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was keeping my department clean and full of stock, seeing a job well done.
Pros
payday every week
Cons
unhappy customers
Terrible Management
Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder bay ON Dawson RDJanuary 27, 2015
Worst Job I have ever had. Management was VERY verbally Abusive and lied and manipulated the part time associates in order to get their way. The management frequently harassed the employees and sometimes customers both sexually and verbally. I cant believe i let myself work there for almost a year. DO NOT RECOMMEND.
Productive workplace with room to advance, fast paces
Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clarenville NLMay 13, 2014
In summary, was a great place to work, management had things very put together which made for happier climate in the workplace. I advanced in this work position to the cash office which was a new experience to me, I enjoyed it, was very hectic at times, but I enjoyed the challenge and improved daily. The hardest part of the job was time management, being that there was only one supervisor/cash office employee night time which made for minimal time to get everything done, overall would definitely consider going back to this place to work if I needed too.
fun place to work, lots of cash handling
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2015
Cash handling, operate cash register, memorize code of merchandize, customer service, help with co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with customers.