No Frills Employee Reviews

Nice atmosphere to work in
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ONApril 6, 2016
co-workers are friendly and it was very well organized. Unfortunately I did not work here for very long and didn't get any shifts after the stores opening.
Great place to work.
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABOctober 14, 2015
a great place to work, i gained more experience here then anywhere else i have worked. i started as a part timer, and within three months i was promoted too a full time key holder. Management always handed me the ball when i asked for it, and encouraged me to run as far as i could with it as well making me feel as part of the family .
Busy and flexible workplace with a good environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
A typical day work would include, lifting objects that can be 50+ pounds, pushing buggies back from the parking lot into the lobby, refilling displays of fruits and vegetables, and constantly providing customer service.
I've learned about business management, and operations management approaches, because I attended school at humber college for a business management program. Working at No Frill's helped me have a better understanding of it because I see the business techniques in action through the manager how he manages not only his but other peoples time, merchandising, and contracts within the company.
No Frill's is a team based workplace, and my co-workers do make a great team, everyone is friendly and respectful to each other, as we do plan times to spend with each other out of work. Everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses but each one of us are different from the other, and have different strengths that can make up for each others weaknesses.
One flaw about the job I would say is that since I work in the Produce Department only, we have not been trained to know the products that are in the grocery department, so when a customer asks a produce clerk about a product that is in the grocery department, sometimes we wouldn't know what the customer is talking about or sometimes don't know where it is located. So us produce clerks need to find a grocery clerk for assistance, but it seems like that department is under staff because most of the time, the grocery clerks would be in the back room or they are hard to find because of having two or three of them on
  more... the floor for such a big department.
But the most enjoyable about this job is that, it is very flexible for me because I attend school and they understand and have workers that can work if needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Grocery department understaff
great over all
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 12, 2016
good you work they are happy. you follow what they have to say and what they tell you and they are happy . dont disobey them. anything else would be to show up and do you job
Pros
lunch
Cons
buggies
Very good management but not my kind of workplace
Bakery/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 21, 2015
A typical day at No Frills was pretty straight forward; open, reduce, than stock and clean until close. I definetly learned a few things while being employed at No Frills, one of the main things being that the grocery/supermarket business really wasn't for me. I started out training in the produce department, until I sliced my thumb open cutting celery. I was bleeding so profusely that my body felt weak and my head felt weary. After that shift, I was then transferred to the bakery stock department. After about a week into training I felt extremely comfortable with the daily routine and almost all of the tasks at hand, but in the freezer there would be stock from other departments blocking my products, and I physically didn't have the strength to move the pallets with a pallet jack, nor did I feel comfortable with using an electric hand jack, so that was when I had decided it was time I left No Frills. I didn't feel comfortable with what I was doing so now I'm trying to pursue something I'd have a better chance of professing in; such as a customer service represenitive (with emphasis in the fashion industry because I'm so into clothing and dressing up) or a cashier, with my bright, cheerful attitude and my will to help others get to where they need to be.
Pros
Long hours, good management, good supervision.
Cons
Cooler set up, employees (grocery department)
high energy workplace with dynamic environment
Front End Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
this is a fairly stressful job with high energy. the other workers are very kind and the managers are quite harsh, which is understandable. The customers come in waves so when it is busy it's BUSY.
Enjoyable place to work
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJune 2, 2015
Typical day at Nofrills included simple and easy tasks given to you by the managers, never had to put much thought into the work you do. Working as a grocery clerk your job consists of stocking shelves (including doing overstock), helping customers and cleaning up the aisles.
What I learned - new ways to quickly get stock out on the floor while memorizing where each product goes.
Management was decent, although there was a lack of communications between the employer and the employees.
Co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
Hardest part of the job was keeping displays and end caps clean on big sale days.
Most enjoyable - being able to work by myself and run most of the department by myself.
Pros
Staff/Coworkers
Cons
Keeping department clean
A very professional, serious workplace- For better and worse
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 17, 2014
The job is basic incarnate, essentially impossible to mess up given proper training. The customers are generally respectful and easy to help, management is concise and everything is generally pretty peachy.

Until you're sick for a day, wherein the company is perfectly happy with tossing you into the ditch and picking up another round of newbies.

Easy to get into the job, yes, if only for the fact that the employee turn-over per year is at a quite frankly disturbing level. I heard a figure that reached triple digits, as in upwards of 100 or more, but nothing official or statistically solid. With how many people I saw go in my time there, I'm inclined to believe it.

No discounts either.

So in short, it's a good place to work at as long as you never miss a day for any reason ever, you don't mind a sub-minimum wage pay, and no benefits.
Pros
good management
Cons
inflexible, forced hours with harsh punishments and zero job-security.
Was agreat opporunity to gain experience.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
During my time at no frills I learned several different techniques and strategies to work more efficiently as well as be more time productive
Productive and Fun to work at
Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 18, 2016
-organized place to work
-co workers were responsible and hard working
-learned to rotate items and record temperature and other logs
Overall a good place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSOctober 16, 2014
In a typical day I would be tasked with loading and unloading trucks via Forklift (Raymond), managing stock, filling stock to shelves, refilling display stock and rotation of perishable stock (dairy, produce, bread, etc).

Management was generally very easy to work with and was flexible and accommodating to me during my time in University and High School and gave clear instructions on my tasks.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with and made work very enjoyable and less monotonous each day (Many of my tasks were repetitive in nature).
Pros
great staff and management
Cons
little room for advancement
grave yard shift
stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 5, 2015
typical day you get to work at 11 o clock at night to 7 30 in the morning
learned how to use a pallet jack
management was not to great had nice people but you could tell they didn't want do much
co workers were great they make the day go by fast cause u actually
enjoying being around them
hardest part of the job was that it was from 11 pm - 7 30 am
the most enjoyable part was that people
Pros
easy
Cons
bad hours
Terrible owners poorly run
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North battlefordMarch 26, 2014
Terrible place to work. Completely disorganized, schedule conflicts and poor management. I was seriously unimpressed with the way fraizer ran the place and how he treated the staff. A good boss would be out on the floor with his employees not hiding in the back. I would always check my schedule and they would change it on me. No benefits but union job, you get one 15 min break for every 6 hr shift. Only 10.00 a hr. All the hours you put in they take off. Lots of misleading communication between fraizer Jen the supervisors and management and terrible stock. Lots of very unhappy customers
Cons
terrible owner
Good place for a first job to get your feet wet
floor worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 9, 2016
The hardest part of the job was knowing and identifying which items go where and keeping the whole department tidy all by yourself.
Pros
work under a union
Cons
tough hours
Productive and Amusing work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day at work would be re-stocking the produce items; as well as moping the floors and picking up fallen produce items. I learned a lot at No Frills, I am now able to tell you about any fruit or vegetable you would like to know about.I also further developed my social and customer service skills. At No Frills the staff works very well as a team.The hardest part of working at No Frills was remembering bar-codes to tell the cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding and helping the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not very many shifts
Excellent communication with others and Hard working
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2015
Understanding feelings of others and Supportive, shares credit and accepts responsibility.Enjoy working with others and likes communicating with them.
Cons
Short hours
A normal day at work
General All around store clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 16, 2015
Arrived at work and asked my manager what needs to be done for the day, I would write down all my duties of the day.
After I start my duties I made sure that my working area is clean and organized so I can see what items I needed to re-stock.
If I finished all my duties earlier I would ask my manager which area needs to be re-stock or clean and proceeded to do whatever was needed.
Pros
great hours, good team members, excellent management, friendly environment
No Frills-Part-Time
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
Wonderful people to work with and customers were nice. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested. There isn't much else to tell about this workplace.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Hard work
Easy going. Time Passer
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2012
Working there goes by pretty quick. Fun guys to work with, easy going management. Some slackers but what can you do. All in all it was a fun experience.
Pros
time goes by fast, easy to get a raise, fun qorkplace
Cons
customers
Flexible hours and good work/life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2015
Not a difficult job as you mostly just scan and collect money. The hours are very flexible, you could have your availability for just weekends, provided that you've worked there for a bit and you have a reasonable excuse such as school. Half of my co workers are teenagers and the other half are in their 30s+. The pay isn't that great, if you're under 18 you only get $10.30, once your 18 or older its $11. It's a pretty boring job as your standing for hours repeating the same thing and performing the same actions, your feet will end up killing by the time your shift is done. However, if you need some money on the side of your busy life, this job wouldn't be half bad.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long relentless hours

2.8