No Frills Employee Reviews in Canada

easy going
customer service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJanuary 2, 2016
good job for students, management is lazy so be prepared to do everything they dont want to do even if theyre not doing a thing.
Pros
timmies run every morning
Cons
cold
high energy workplace with dynamic environment
Front End Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2016
this is a fairly stressful job with high energy. the other workers are very kind and the managers are quite harsh, which is understandable. The customers come in waves so when it is busy it's BUSY.
Busy and flexible workplace with a good environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
A typical day work would include, lifting objects that can be 50+ pounds, pushing buggies back from the parking lot into the lobby, refilling displays of fruits and vegetables, and constantly providing customer service.
I've learned about business management, and operations management approaches, because I attended school at humber college for a business management program. Working at No Frill's helped me have a better understanding of it because I see the business techniques in action through the manager how he manages not only his but other peoples time, merchandising, and contracts within the company.
No Frill's is a team based workplace, and my co-workers do make a great team, everyone is friendly and respectful to each other, as we do plan times to spend with each other out of work. Everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses but each one of us are different from the other, and have different strengths that can make up for each others weaknesses.
One flaw about the job I would say is that since I work in the Produce Department only, we have not been trained to know the products that are in the grocery department, so when a customer asks a produce clerk about a product that is in the grocery department, sometimes we wouldn't know what the customer is talking about or sometimes don't know where it is located. So us produce clerks need to find a grocery clerk for assistance, but it seems like that department is under staff because most of the time, the grocery clerks would be in the back room or they are hard to find because of having two or three of them on
  more... the floor for such a big department.
But the most enjoyable about this job is that, it is very flexible for me because I attend school and they understand and have workers that can work if needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Grocery department understaff
Productive and Fun to work at
Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 18, 2016
-organized place to work
-co workers were responsible and hard working
-learned to rotate items and record temperature and other logs
Was agreat opporunity to gain experience.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
During my time at no frills I learned several different techniques and strategies to work more efficiently as well as be more time productive
First job.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ont.September 8, 2015
No frills was an okay place to work for a student, Considering it was my first job things were a little difficult in the beginning. A month after starting there was new management coming into place and it was very difficult to adjust with all the chances in such short time. There wasn't many hours available since since so many people were hired all at once. Throughout it all the owner was a great person! He tried to make us enjoy the time we were working.
Pros
great coworkers, friendly customes
Cons
not enough hours
Great job if you get the opportunity
Shelf/Display Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2012
LCBO was an excellent position. It is very hard to get a position with LCBO so as soon as I got the chance for a seasonal position I jumped on it. a typical day would be bringing cases of alcohol up, stocking shelves and when things got busier to go on cash. All of the employees and managers were very easy-going and friendly. The job was all around enjoyable, and I have absolutely no complaints.
Pros
great salary, friendly employees
Cons
hard to obtain a job there
Great place to work.
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABOctober 14, 2015
a great place to work, i gained more experience here then anywhere else i have worked. i started as a part timer, and within three months i was promoted too a full time key holder. Management always handed me the ball when i asked for it, and encouraged me to run as far as i could with it as well making me feel as part of the family .
Good place for a first job to get your feet wet
floor worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 9, 2016
The hardest part of the job was knowing and identifying which items go where and keeping the whole department tidy all by yourself.
Pros
work under a union
Cons
tough hours
Productive and Amusing work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day at work would be re-stocking the produce items; as well as moping the floors and picking up fallen produce items. I learned a lot at No Frills, I am now able to tell you about any fruit or vegetable you would like to know about.I also further developed my social and customer service skills. At No Frills the staff works very well as a team.The hardest part of working at No Frills was remembering bar-codes to tell the cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding and helping the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Not very many shifts
Easy atmosphere with great people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  blenheim onNovember 13, 2012
a typical day is arriving at work and logging onto my cash register and waiting on the customers assisting them to find products when needed. A great group of women work there, fun easy going. The hardest part is trying to be busy when it is slow, but fill that time cleaning the area. I find most of it enjoyable can't pick out any one thing.
Pros
benefits will kick in after 2 years
Cons
short hours - only 12 hours a week
No frills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 29, 2014
• Greeted customers in a friendly and courteous manner
• Provided helpful and timely assistance to customers successfully meeting their needs and resolving their concerns
• Effectively handled cash, account payments, credit card and other financial transactions
• Clearly and persuasively explained the benefits of products and services to customers resulting in higher sales
Excellent communication with others and Hard working
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2015
Understanding feelings of others and Supportive, shares credit and accepts responsibility.Enjoy working with others and likes communicating with them.
Cons
Short hours
No Frills-Part-Time
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
Wonderful people to work with and customers were nice. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested. There isn't much else to tell about this workplace.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Hard work
Flexible hours and good work/life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2015
Not a difficult job as you mostly just scan and collect money. The hours are very flexible, you could have your availability for just weekends, provided that you've worked there for a bit and you have a reasonable excuse such as school. Half of my co workers are teenagers and the other half are in their 30s+. The pay isn't that great, if you're under 18 you only get $10.30, once your 18 or older its $11. It's a pretty boring job as your standing for hours repeating the same thing and performing the same actions, your feet will end up killing by the time your shift is done. However, if you need some money on the side of your busy life, this job wouldn't be half bad.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Long relentless hours
Easy going. Time Passer
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2012
Working there goes by pretty quick. Fun guys to work with, easy going management. Some slackers but what can you do. All in all it was a fun experience.
Pros
time goes by fast, easy to get a raise, fun qorkplace
Cons
customers
Enjoyable place to work
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  EdmontonJune 2, 2015
Typical day at Nofrills included simple and easy tasks given to you by the managers, never had to put much thought into the work you do. Working as a grocery clerk your job consists of stocking shelves (including doing overstock), helping customers and cleaning up the aisles.
What I learned - new ways to quickly get stock out on the floor while memorizing where each product goes.
Management was decent, although there was a lack of communications between the employer and the employees.
Co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
Hardest part of the job was keeping displays and end caps clean on big sale days.
Most enjoyable - being able to work by myself and run most of the department by myself.
Pros
Staff/Coworkers
Cons
Keeping department clean
Made the best of it
Work as a cashier/trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 14, 2014
Working at a cheap grocery store was not my ideal job. But I did it with a smile on my face, and did what I had to do. I was always the most cheerful one there, and the quickest as well.
It was a part time job that got me through high school and college.
benefits
Cons
no excitement at all
Fun work place, fair lunch break
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2014
Learning transactions with credit card, debt cards, as well as vouches. Starting off at minimum wage. Dealt with customer care. Communications skills is a must. Building relationships with customers, and problem solving is key. There is no benefits, or discounts.
Pros
not having to bag items
Cons
hires only part time
Very good management but not my kind of workplace
Bakery/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 21, 2015
A typical day at No Frills was pretty straight forward; open, reduce, than stock and clean until close. I definetly learned a few things while being employed at No Frills, one of the main things being that the grocery/supermarket business really wasn't for me. I started out training in the produce department, until I sliced my thumb open cutting celery. I was bleeding so profusely that my body felt weak and my head felt weary. After that shift, I was then transferred to the bakery stock department. After about a week into training I felt extremely comfortable with the daily routine and almost all of the tasks at hand, but in the freezer there would be stock from other departments blocking my products, and I physically didn't have the strength to move the pallets with a pallet jack, nor did I feel comfortable with using an electric hand jack, so that was when I had decided it was time I left No Frills. I didn't feel comfortable with what I was doing so now I'm trying to pursue something I'd have a better chance of professing in; such as a customer service represenitive (with emphasis in the fashion industry because I'm so into clothing and dressing up) or a cashier, with my bright, cheerful attitude and my will to help others get to where they need to be.
Pros
Long hours, good management, good supervision.
Cons
Cooler set up, employees (grocery department)

2.8