No Frills Employee Reviews

Busy and flexible workplace with a good environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2016
A typical day work would include, lifting objects that can be 50+ pounds, pushing buggies back from the parking lot into the lobby, refilling displays of fruits and vegetables, and constantly providing customer service.
I've learned about business management, and operations management approaches, because I attended school at humber college for a business management program. Working at No Frill's helped me have a better understanding of it because I see the business techniques in action through the manager how he manages not only his but other peoples time, merchandising, and contracts within the company.
No Frill's is a team based workplace, and my co-workers do make a great team, everyone is friendly and respectful to each other, as we do plan times to spend with each other out of work. Everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses but each one of us are different from the other, and have different strengths that can make up for each others weaknesses.
One flaw about the job I would say is that since I work in the Produce Department only, we have not been trained to know the products that are in the grocery department, so when a customer asks a produce clerk about a product that is in the grocery department, sometimes we wouldn't know what the customer is talking about or sometimes don't know where it is located. So us produce clerks need to find a grocery clerk for assistance, but it seems like that department is under staff because most of the time, the grocery clerks would be in the back room or they are hard to find because of having two or three of them on
  more... the floor for such a big department.
But the most enjoyable about this job is that, it is very flexible for me because I attend school and they understand and have workers that can work if needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Grocery department understaff
Flexible Hours
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2016
Has flexible hours...people are great to work with. Need to be somewhat strong and well organized.Management could be better but overall great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not enough hours
My Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 January 2016
A typical day would include cashing customers out at the register, help stock shelves and helping customers with anything they need.

I enjoy the people I work with & find management to be fair.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly atmosphere I have at work.

The hardest part of the job is the fact I'm standing for a majority of my day.
Pros
Friendly Atomsphere
Cons
The Commute
Great work environment for grocery business.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
This job is a great job with a fast paced work structure placing grocery products on shelves, working and setting up displays.
My Co workers
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 June 2016
My co workers were different people from other countries, for the most part of the shift we would talk about each others countries and how they live in a daily basis.
Cashier
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 June 2016
I enjoyed working at No Frills and Fortinos. always busy and on my feet. The manager was an outstanding person. Never had any reasons of complain. I was upset that I had to quite.
fun place to work
Cashier/cash office (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB14 June 2016
very inviting nice people nice environment loved working with the people close to the residence and very convinent and employees were very happy and helpful employees
Pros
people
Cons
good hours
not a bad first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB10 May 2016
i did not work here for very long. they were very good with giving me reasonable hours being in school at the time. i worked as a cashier first but standing on my feet not moving for 4-8 hours, depending on the day was not for me. However i moved to working stock and enjoyed it alot more.
Its a pretty good place to work.
Manual Laborer (Current Employee) –  North York, ON8 May 2015
It is a very enjoyable place to work. The only problem is that I continue to learn new tasks and they refuse to promote me or give me a raise. My typical day starts at 7 in the morning where i would start organizing the produce cooler, initial the temperature log and start bringing the produce out onto the displays. My co-workers can work well when they put their minds to it. The hardest part of my job is picking up my co-workers slack.Little things they could and should do but don't.
Cons
Lack of hours
Was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2016
I was happy to be working there and the other staff members where wonderful. I was also happy that if they where short staffed they would call me in to work for extra hours.
Pros
Paid luanch
Cons
there are no cons
A very professional, serious workplace- For better and worse
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 May 2014
The job is basic incarnate, essentially impossible to mess up given proper training. The customers are generally respectful and easy to help, management is concise and everything is generally pretty peachy.

Until you're sick for a day, wherein the company is perfectly happy with tossing you into the ditch and picking up another round of newbies.

Easy to get into the job, yes, if only for the fact that the employee turn-over per year is at a quite frankly disturbing level. I heard a figure that reached triple digits, as in upwards of 100 or more, but nothing official or statistically solid. With how many people I saw go in my time there, I'm inclined to believe it.

No discounts either.

So in short, it's a good place to work at as long as you never miss a day for any reason ever, you don't mind a sub-minimum wage pay, and no benefits.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Inflexible, forced hours with harsh punishments and zero job-security.
its a good job :)
Front cash (Current Employee) –  Gananoque, ON6 June 2016
I've just started working there, but for what I've seen I enjoy the job. I work front cash there, so I'm just ensuring customers leave happy.
Small town feel in the City
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 October 2015
A typical day at work is all about the people I serve, often I am told, "You are always smiling", I tell them, it's my nature!!! I've learned that you can always find something extra to do for your clients. I am very privileged to have worked with management and senior staff over a long period of time, we can count on each other for professional support. The hardest part of the job will always be handling customer dissatisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I take care of.
Pros
Clients and Staff
Cons
Long times on your feet.
Great work place with great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON16 May 2016
great work place to be in with very nice employees. Everyone helps you if you dont know how to do something on the cash and makes you feel welcome when asking for help.
Pros
nice employees
Cons
Rude boss
Overall a good place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS16 October 2014
In a typical day I would be tasked with loading and unloading trucks via Forklift (Raymond), managing stock, filling stock to shelves, refilling display stock and rotation of perishable stock (dairy, produce, bread, etc).

Management was generally very easy to work with and was flexible and accommodating to me during my time in University and High School and gave clear instructions on my tasks.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with and made work very enjoyable and less monotonous each day (Many of my tasks were repetitive in nature).
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
Little room for advancement
Terrible owners poorly run
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North battleford26 March 2014
Terrible place to work. Completely disorganized, schedule conflicts and poor management. I was seriously unimpressed with the way fraizer ran the place and how he treated the staff. A good boss would be out on the floor with his employees not hiding in the back. I would always check my schedule and they would change it on me. No benefits but union job, you get one 15 min break for every 6 hr shift. Only 10.00 a hr. All the hours you put in they take off. Lots of misleading communication between fraizer Jen the supervisors and management and terrible stock. Lots of very unhappy customers
Cons
Terrible owner
Great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Division Street, Kingston, Ontario7 May 2016
The training was quick, easy, and in-depth. I received a nice introduction into the cashier position and then once I was ready I went independent with the support I needed.
ok
Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chestermere, AB21 January 2016
stacking selfs
nothing really
management was okay
co-workers were friendly
arms feel tired after you get bored
the music
Enjoy working there!
Cashier, customer service, and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL20 March 2016
The day goes by quickly as the environment is usually fast paced. The staff are all very friendly and willing to help you out with anything! The customers are great as well, you get to socialize with every customer during each transaction !
Pros
fast paced
Cons
standing all day
First job.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ont.8 September 2015
No frills was an okay place to work for a student, Considering it was my first job things were a little difficult in the beginning. A month after starting there was new management coming into place and it was very difficult to adjust with all the chances in such short time. There wasn't many hours available since since so many people were hired all at once. Throughout it all the owner was a great person! He tried to make us enjoy the time we were working.
Pros
great coworkers, friendly customes
Cons
not enough hours

2.8