No Frills Employee Reviews

good stepping stone job
Dairy Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON14 June 2017
Easy job that has a good union. Of course each owner is different store to store. (Fort Erie) has a very rude one. great stepping stone job but I wouldn't advise permanent stay.
Pros
easy job
Cons
rude owner
Save yourself the stress and do not work here
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
This particular No Frills does not care about their employees at all. Racial comments and attacks have occurred on multiple occasions. Honestly, poor management overall. The owner is a bully to almost every employee and has gotten into physical fights with customers before.
Productive and fun workplace
Grocery Stockperson (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK3 June 2017
When I had to work after school, you had to work very efficient to keep the place clean and full, for it to look nice when the people come inside the store and see it full. In the other hand it was very nice environment to work in, everyone had fun and it was very good to work that way. It always kept you in a good mood.
Pros
Easy place to adapt to
Cons
Some supervisor weren't the greatest
Great people, great customers.
Grocery Clerk/Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2017
I enjoyed the people that I worked with and the customers made my day because I was able to help them find what they were looking for. I learned many procedures in operating a store. As a night shift supervisor, the hardest part of the job was getting all the products out on the floor because of a backup in the production line.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Job duties does not match pay
Corrupt
Grocery Clerk, Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 June 2017
This job was only good because you could work with friends. Other than that it was awful. Owner would break tons of union rules, cut your paychecks, and payed me lower than minimum wage. They would not give the proper information to me so I was not able to view my paychecks or get my taxes cause they knew they were cutting my paychecks. The owner would never schedule enough people to complete the work and would get mad if not all of it was done. Overall terrible place to work as it was very stressful and aggravating with terrible pay and hours.
Pros
Got paid for your 15 minute breaks?
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible breaks, terrible working conditions, corrupt, everyone was
Great experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 May 2017
Hired for my My first job at the age of fifteen, working as a Cashier, Stock girl, Cleaning Crew and given the responsibility of opening and closing the store. I was entrusted with an ‘override’ and training the new hired cashiers.

Key skills obtained: Responsibility, punctuality, customer service, product knowledge, assistance, cleanliness, determination, patience, focus, strength, working long time durations and money management and problem solving.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Short lunch
Great Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 May 2017
Good Management. Great team to work with. Easy to communicate. Lots of training. Good atmosphere to work. Lots of fun to be had. Salary was low but with good reasoning.
It's a place to work if you need the money
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB29 May 2017
Being a cashier at the No Frills location I was at was fun at first but the 15 minute breaks no matter how long you worked and the only knowing the schedule weekly started getting old really fast. My coworkers were relatively nice and management was pretty good. Although, as a high school student they were awesome about being flexible with shifts.
Pros
Flexible work shifts
Cons
A break was no longer than 15 minutes
Simple
Produce Clerk (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2017
This job is easy and takes not so much skill, if you're able to work hard and not complain about it then this is the job for you. I've worked here a large portion of my teenaged life and I have to say it's an easy way to get paid
Typical day
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 May 2017
Cashing out groceries and greeting customers, along with keeping work area tidy. I learned a lot about produce and different codes. Management was nice and helpful. Workplace culture was friendly. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Productive and friendly work place
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON26 May 2017
Working at No Frills for the past three years has been a pleasant experience. However I am attending college this coming September and am looking for a job offering more hours then what I am currently receiving.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, caring management.
Cons
Not a lot of hours.
It is really awesome place
STOCK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB22 May 2017
Fun loving place to work
days when fast
friendly people to work with
the shifts we not to hard of work too do
management was awesome to work with
the most enjoyable part was the people
Pros
got free lunches some times
Cons
not enough days
It was good
PRODUCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 May 2017
Everything was consistent and the staff was very welcoming and helpful, I would reccomend this job to anyone that is looking for a job because it is a very proffesional environment
Worked overnights at this position
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 May 2017
The night manager was the most rude night manager i ever knew in my whole life of working. Their was no room for mistakes and he never helped out so we could get out and go home to our families.
i had a lots of fun at work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2017
Everyday at work I was learning something new, I learn how to help a team member how to do a better job and I learn to fix all my mistake.
the most hardest part of the job was maybe lifting heavy stuff.
okay!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nobleton, ON8 May 2017
store was never busy, the manager would constantly ridicule me on things I did. and belittle me if I did something wrong. most of the staff was very pleasant and the job benefits are amazing. everything was okay aside from the management team
nice time
Inventory Check/General/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 May 2017
very fun place to work and learn and gain knowledge of the workplace environment lots of opportunities for further promotions within the company very friendly people
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2017
Good place for part-time work with minimum wage with supportive staff and management. Being a cashier nothing was much hard but would mention that at times there is encounter with some difficult customers but that is the part of the job so no complaints.
Restricting, Repetitive and Low Paying
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON30 April 2017
A typical day at work would begin with everyone receiving their assignments in the back room. This would then be your job for the rest of the shift ie) which isles were your responsibility today. We would usually begin with working through skids of delivered product and putting them on the shelves. If the shelves were full, then the overhead. We'd then continue to face (pull and stack everything) in our assigned isles until the end of our shift. If we finished early then we'd assist someone else. Other than that, we were isolated throughout our shifts aside from customers asking where items were. For the half hour we worked past closing if when we acting got to interact somewhat with our co-workers. We'd finish the most important jobs for opening the next morning which was usually working through a skid that was delivered late. The culture of working here was very isolated and involved a lot of alone time simply pulling things forward, stacking them, and pulling down from the overhead to fill shelves. The hardest part of the job was making sure you didn't put one of the dozen identical objects, such as shampoo bottles, in the wrong spot. This was done by endlessly checking the last 4 digits on the bar code of the products and matching them to the self bar code. If you misplace something and it's caught by the managers, that's when you would get a good scolding. The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting called by the cashiers. At this point we'd go resolve an issue that a customer is having at the cashier. This included but is not limited to doing price checks, carrying  more... out bags for customers and retrieving additional items for customers. The reason this was the most enjoyable was because it actually allowed for some human interaction. Therefore I'd savor these moments and was as polite to the customers as possible to secure my spot as being responsible for these calls. The manager would tell us who is responsible for them in the back room at the beginning of each shift, and delegate when they went on their lunch break.  less
Pros
Easy to get time off
Cons
Very long probation period (can fire you early on for no reason), very easy to get fired (phone use results in immediate termination), made under minimum wage (after mandatory union dues), minimal social interaction, repetitive menial tasks, verbal abuse from customers
Nice easy job once you get the hang of it
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 April 2017
The work was pretty easy, mostly just fill the tables with stock and pull out the bad stock. As a supervisor there were more tasks including ordering and maintaining the department.