No Frills Employee Reviews

Snarky management, medium-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB7 March 2017
Shifts have slow periods and fast periods, if you work as cashier you will be expected to face the shelves in your spare time and potentially help in the grocery department.

The manager, however, has hiring sprees, in which she will hire 9 new cashiers on a single Saturday, leaving all the other longer-lasting employees with little to no hours. Will get angry when you phone in sick.

You will either get far more hours than you ask for, or hardly any.
Pros
Free bags?
Cons
Bad management
Productive, fast, upbeat and busy place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 March 2017
No Frills can be very busy, but shifts go by fast. Management is good, and you get to work with good co-workers. But sometimes it can be hard with the type of customers we get. The most enjoyable moments are where you get a chance to talk and get to know everyone, and where you are greeted by your co workers and certain customers, even when you are not working on the day. Since applying to No Frills, ive learned and improved my hand-eye coordination, and also improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Sometimes we get treats! Also great co-workers to talk to, you get to make new friends, and recieve the freedom to be independent
Cons
No Security
Good place to be working at, very flexible with hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
No Frills is a good place to work at if you are in high school, they are very flexible with hours. I, however have graduated from high school and need more hours too build my savings and college funds for the future. No Frills is my first job, it has taught me a lot of patience dealing with customers and how to communicate with them. (naturally a quiet person towards people I don't know) at first I would not be asking how their day was but now a lot of customers have recognized who I am and enjoy speaking with me. The hardest part of my job is to cope with the customers who aren't happy, but I've learned how to deal with these situations these past two years I've had this job. The most enjoyable part is to see my customers happy and leave with a smile.
Easy simple workplace with flexible work days
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 January 2017
Typical day is spotting products then cutting and stocking. Then just helping around to tidy up the store.
People here are really nice so the work environment is nice.
The job is pretty easy in general once you learn where things go but theres really no rush to learn and everyone there is willing to help you. The only thing that kinda sucks is waking up early.
Pros
Generally easy job if you put in a decent effort
Cons
Waking up early
great job evironment
clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 January 2017
The work environment is pretty straight forward, easy to learn and for the most part organized.What i learned is the fact of how easy the job can be.Management are for the most part easy to get along with and help you whenever in need. The workplace culture is good and it has a good atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is facing,facing is really monotonous and a bit of a drag.Working with the ppl.
Pros
it's not hard work
Cons
not enough hours
Productive, supervisor was condescending. co-workers nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 January 2017
I reported to the office to find out where which cash I was being placed on, and discuss sales on that day. I processed cash, debit, credit transactions, took coupons, sometimes refunds, or hold orders. My supervisor told us to be vigilant of people stealing. The interview was very intensive, asked many questions and why she should pick me and not the other candidates. I felt they like to exercise their power. Maybe it was just that No Frills, I have worked at others and it was not as intensive. Overall, not bad, supervisor was on a power trip.
Pros
co-workers nice
Cons
supervisor was consescending
understanding management, fun people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON27 February 2017
The average shift consist of spending the day serving customers, and when there are no customers you clean your lane, and other lanes if dirty, make sure your work place is clean, and safe, restock gum, chocolate bars, ect. at the front of the store. At the end of your shift clean and tidy your work place for the next person.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
lunches aren't paid, standing for a long time
Alrightplace to work but was stressful at times
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2017
Some of the managers and co-workers were nice but my Department Manager was not very nice to his employees sometimes and judged performance harshly. He saw what I could do when I'm hyper on Energy Drinks and assumed that was my normal speed and anything slower was me not trying which led to him getting mad at me a lot. All in all it's not a terrible place to work but be prepared todeal with easily upset managers or employees who are inexperienced getting better treatment.
Pros
Decent time stamps, nice co-workers
Cons
Managers too high strung sometimes, inexperience sometimes getting rewarded more then experience
Fast pace friendly environment.
Cashier/cash office clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2016
Fast pace environment. Must be able to multitask and count corrects change to complete customers transactions. Friendly and easygoing attitude is a must. Must be able to work well with others as well as individually. Knowledge of the products whereabouts is a plus as customers will often ask for assistance in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Management is quite accommodating at scheduling hrs or availability.
Cons
Unionized, hourly pay does not increase to match the increasing minimum wage.
Productive environment to Work In
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON21 March 2017
Good environment to work in and also friendly staff members. Being a member of this company, I learnt good customer service and the ability to communicate efficiently with customers. I also learnt to be responsible with the work I do. The workplace environment provided a safe, clean and comfortable place to work in.
Pros
Comfortable environment
Great place to get some experience
Pharmacy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora Ontario Canada8 December 2016
Management for the whole store wasn't very good.. The guy was a pervert and didn't care about what anyone thought unless it made him look good.. Now, the Pharmacy was good.. They taught me so much.. my experience there was good.. it makes you realize that it is a lot harder then it looks.
Pros
Hours were different from the store's.. No tobacco or alcohol was sold on the location
Cons
Manager was a pervert
Joe's No Frills Produce Clerk Review
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Typical day:

I usually have to fill bananas when I first start, which is fine because it's my favourite thing to fill. Then throughout the day I'm filling things that need filling, sweeping the floor when it needs it, preparing certain things, like celery and romaine, which need to be trimmed.
Closer to the end of my shift, I start reducing all the produce that was pulled from the shelf.
After we close, I do my regular closing duties, such as facing the product, taking things that need to be kept cold to the cooler etc.

All my coworkers and managers are great. I get along with every single one of them.
My manager liked to pick on me.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON29 October 2016
My manager liked to pick on me because I was new. I didn't know everything about the store and still don't. My boss seems to think even if they don't tell me I should know everything about what is currently happening in store. I need an environment where my boss tells me everything I need to know to get the job done.
Pros
Sometimes there were snacks in the break room
Cons
Too much criticism and not enough "you're doing great"
Amazing management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2017
Variety of working environments. Most days go by very quickly because there is always something to do. Management is very friendly and understanding. Customers are generally very happy with the right attitude towards them.
Pros
Variety of learning skills
Cons
Customers can be grumpy
Great employers, rough customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
All of the staff at my No Frills store are exceptional, and great people to work for and with. The only downside to the job is the customers that frequent the store. Unfortunately you receive a lot of unpleasant people in the store.
Pros
Good employers
Cons
Awful customers
They do not follow the schedule that you provide them with and just give you any shifts.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 December 2016
A typical day at work, hear my boss complain the whole shift, snd yell. My co workers are fun, the hardest part of the job is my managers. The enjoyable part is that i get to put a smile on a customers face.
Pros
good hours
Cons
15 minute breaks
Fun place to work Except for some employees
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON1 February 2017
A typical day would be filled with various small jobs that needed to be completed including filling shelves, inventory management, scanning out broken/damaged items and many more small jobs. I learned that working hard and volunteering to do more in the workplace helped my advancement in the business and with the people who employed me. The owners of this workplace were probably the best bosses I've had out of all my experiences, they were very humorous and made work more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was dealing with one manager who put everyone down and was an overall bully. He always made the workplace a uncomfortable environment and even caused a fellow employee to have an anxiety attack. Besides that everyone else were very kind and also put a smile on my face. The most enjoyable part of working there was getting to know everyone and work together making a difference.
Pros
Great Owners, union and good people
Cons
One bad manager
great co workers
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 January 2017
a typical day at no frills would be serving the customers and making sure they get threw without any problems, providing a smile when putting groceries threw, when closing general cleaning of the lanes.
Pros
very flexible and understanding
Cons
over staffed
On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
Not a good place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON15 November 2016
I wasn't getting any hours I got 3 days a week and then it went own from there. I thought i was doing fine, noon ever told me I wasn't then a few weeks later I got let go cause they said I wasn't understanding to something I was still on probation however so they didn't need a reason
Cons
Rude customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at No Frills. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8