No Frills Employee Reviews in Canada

injoyable, strait foward, fast paste
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work for me was vary repetitive witch did lead to good understanding on what to do and how things are done, working in a grocery store was interesting, buying something new that I have not had before as I see something vary appetizing that I stock on the shelves. fun co workers with great social skills and positive attitudes even if someone was having a rough day. co workers and I would work hard as a team rather we are unloading shipments of products, to loading shelves and facing labels outwards for our customers to find what they are looking for.
Pros
masive salection in lunch when on brake and easy to shop for grocerys
Cons
no benifits
There are good days and bad days
Cash office supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 2, 2015
working at No Frills has been a great experience for the most part, my co-workers are great and so are some of the management.

Unfortunately the manager of the front end expects me a minimum wage employee to move up to a high position with more responsibility, with no raise in pay what so ever.

It didn't bother me at first but over time it wares you out.

but the job is great and the people I work with are amazing and from all different walks of lives.
Pros
great co-workers, flexable schduling
Cons
lack of orginization, underpaid
Fun and enjoyable part time job.
Grocery, Meat and Bread Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Good co-workers and approachable management. I enjoy interacting with customers and providing helpful customer service. The hardest part of my job is dealing with late deliveries and shorted items.
Pros
Great supervisor, positive work environment
Cons
Minimum wage, no benefits, no required certificates.
wonderful job yet awful management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABMarch 10, 2016
I absolutely loved working in produce, I learned the foundations of having responsibilities and working hard. The management was more so like high school students rather than professional workplace leaders. I would work roughly 25-30 hours a week, which included a lot of heavy lifting and working at a quick pace. The CEO was very selective on who she believed was a good person character wise and if she had decided that you were not a person of good characteristics, she would treat you as if you were not important nor did you amount to anything.
Pros
organizing and restocking shelves and displays
Cons
unfriendly co-workers
Depends on the boss
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
As a part time grocery clear you go through a lot of the same. But you will have a new manager working that day. Now, some of the managers are really nice and understand the hard work that actually goes into stocking and maintaining shelves, they'll crack jokes with you and not break your back for taking an extra two minutes on your break. But others will mercilessly bother you to work harder, faster, better, and stronger.
Mostly revolves around stocking shelves but the 7am shifts require you to check the bread and organize it, alone it takes 1:30 to 2:10 hrs. Then there's also doing the shopping cart corralling. Nothing to major. The coworkers are awesome and they made it a fun experience.
Pros
Great Owner and 2IC
Cons
Bad management
Good Work Environment
Grocery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 10, 2016
The overall work environment of No Frills was very friendly and comfortable place to work. A typical day at work would be me arriving at 8 am to start my shift, where i would stock shelves with different products the store offered. around 11 am i would get a 30 min lunch, and then would continue my job until the end of my shift at 1:30pm. From this job, i have learned a lot about working with others in a friendly environment, stocking and organizing different products, and how to work quickly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job would be lifting the product cases, as they could be very heavy. My favourite part of the job was being able to work on my own, and with others at the same time to complete the overall goal of that day.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
not enough hours
No Frills has Lots of Thrills
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 5, 2016
The rating above is actually my personal work experience. I was told I would just lift things and put them places, but there was more than I bargained for.
Produce Clerks also answer questions from customers, wrap "Reduce", do janitorial work, help customers carry their groceries to their car or wheelchair, manage a giant crushing machine, and stack lots and lots and LOTS of bananas. And to top it off, there's the need to memorize both what needs to be stacked and what's still in the cooler, in case a customer asks if we have any in stock.

It's not all that bad, though. Many of the co-workers are enthusiastic and helpful, doing whatever they can to support themselves and new employees. I'm sure newcomers will feel right at home.

As this was my first ever job experience, I now know that there's a lot more to a job than meets the eye, and am now ready to tackle many other jobs. I just hope I can find one.
Pros
A break room
Cons
No necessary tools (knives to cut box tape), lack of time for training
No Frills
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 30, 2016
A typical day at No Frill's wasn't at all what I thought working at a Grocery Store would be like. I was trained for 1 month on how to use a cash register and cash out the customers. Just like everyone else I would go up to the office, take my till for my assigned lane and start the days work. My manager was a "ok" type of person, she didn't talk much, I always got the feeling that she didn't like me, we barely spoke. The co-workers were kind, most of them anyway. It was usually slow in the morning but would get busier throughout the day. Many times I would feel unsafe working in that type of environment because many of the customers were very mean, bread was thrown at me, I got spat on multiple times and called the "N word". One particular situation got the best of me and I started crying at my lane, it was the worst day I could've possibly had working at No Frills. The hardest part of my job was remembering codes and keeping calm, especially when I was getting harassed by some of the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was clocking out. Out of all that I had endured, I must say I have a lot more patience now.
Pros
Working with my sister
Cons
Being harassed
Good first job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJune 13, 2016
No Frills provided a great place to learn basic work skills, such as time management, organization, and customer service. Because of the size of the store, there were not many openings for higher positions. The management was respectable and kind, but made sure that the work was done properly and in time. Because of the inconsistency of my schedule, it made life outside of work more difficult.

Overall, working at No Frills was a positive experience.
Pros
Good managers, choose when your breaks are
Cons
inconsistent scheduling
Really good enviroment
Front End Clerk (Former Employee) –  11531 41Ave NW Edmonton, ABApril 22, 2016
I enjoyed going to work everyday, I learned how to weigh items and count change properly, I give a BOO to the management though. I didn't like the manager she didn't treat us all equally. Fun and easy going Coworkers. Hardest part of the job is trying to remember all the 4-digit produce codes. My co workers were fun and they were very patient with training.
Pros
Discounts, Free Pizza Lunch random days, Paid weekly
Cons
Standing in one spot, Sore legs, dealing with grouchy customers, lunch break short
Its a pretty good place to work.
Manual Laborer (Current Employee) –  North York, ONMay 8, 2015
It is a very enjoyable place to work. The only problem is that I continue to learn new tasks and they refuse to promote me or give me a raise. My typical day starts at 7 in the morning where i would start organizing the produce cooler, initial the temperature log and start bringing the produce out onto the displays. My co-workers can work well when they put their minds to it. The hardest part of my job is picking up my co-workers slack.Little things they could and should do but don't.
Cons
Lack of hours
Decent part time workplace environment
Grocery, Dairy, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
Start your shift with fulfilling duties requested by manager in charge, mostly influenced by head manager/store associate. Tasks usually vary depending on seniority between co-workers during the shift.
I have worked in the dairy department for example, where there hasn't been really a manager set in place, so i'd have to take control and more of a leading role. Due to seniority and majority of hours in that specific department I'd have the need to keep it organized and keep it up to the required standard.
Some days I could be pushing buggies outside. Other days I can be organizing the back room, moving skids around, taking product apart of skids, keeping it clean, and building trucks for co-workers. Taking more of a managers approach and role when there's a majority of lower by seniority co-workers during the same shift. Majority of co-workers are hard working, easy to get along , from many different ethnic cultures with a desire to work. Management is great as you move up in seniority you really notice the new things you learn from management and the trust they put in you to accomplish greater tasks.the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different customers on a day to day basis and working with your co-workers as a team.
Amazing place to work
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2016
Everyone that worked there was so happy and we all got along so good. They were easy going and as long as you did your job they didnt get mad at you. They paid good and gave a good amount of hours
No Frills Life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 15, 2016
A typical day consists of you greeting and putting the customers items through the till, sometimes assisting with dusting or stocking the little candy counters by the tills. The co-workers are always there to help you in any way that they can. It is a very fun and positive place to work especially as a first job they are there to help you learn and succeed.
Under-average Work Place
Grocery Store Representative (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Difficulty communicating with owner/employees in regards to scheduling. Lack of hours without notice, or reasoning. Taught me organization skills, as well as customer service skills.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Lack of Communication/Management skills, No hours, uncomfortable environment
fast pace environment
produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
We would work as team get everything done at points management was not the greatest by hey i stuck with it got the work done with excellence and smile on my face every single day! There was a lot nice people I worked with that put smile on my face everyday so i won't complain. overall i learned a lot and i'm grateful for the experience.
Pros
nice people
Cons
poor management
Hard work, fast pace
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2016
Typical day at work: Check inventory, replace empty shelves, clean stock room, touch up and make the products in each aisle look presentable.
Fun co-workers to be around.
Very demanding management, often times unfair/unreasonable
Fast pace and heavy lifting
Hardest part of the job is at closing when the managers are expecting extremely fast work.
It was an alright place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 29, 2016
I couldn't complain at first the hours were really good and the staff were all very polite. But I didn't like how it was unionized making you pay ridiculous dues and the fact that the hours quickly dissipated when you were starting out at roughly 25+ hours a week then it suddenly drops to nothing within about 2 months or so.
Pros
Polite staff
Cons
Terrible hours and unionized
Good for part time work
Grocery/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 27, 2016
Not much room for advancement and not the most enjoyable place to work. Younger group of employees therefore a lot more drama and high-school mentality. If you stick to your tasks such as facing shelves, unloading skids and setting up displays you can build on your creativity and work ethic.
My Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day would include cashing customers out at the register, help stock shelves and helping customers with anything they need.

I enjoy the people I work with & find management to be fair.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly atmosphere I have at work.

The hardest part of the job is the fact I'm standing for a majority of my day.
Pros
Friendly Atomsphere
Cons
The Commute

2.8