No Frills Employee Reviews in Canada

Cashier
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at No Frills and Fortinos. always busy and on my feet. The manager was an outstanding person. Never had any reasons of complain. I was upset that I had to quite.
No Frills Life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ONJune 15, 2016
A typical day consists of you greeting and putting the customers items through the till, sometimes assisting with dusting or stocking the little candy counters by the tills. The co-workers are always there to help you in any way that they can. It is a very fun and positive place to work especially as a first job they are there to help you learn and succeed.
fun place to work
Cashier/cash office (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABJune 14, 2016
very inviting nice people nice environment loved working with the people close to the residence and very convinent and employees were very happy and helpful employees
Pros
people
Cons
good hours
Good first job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJune 13, 2016
No Frills provided a great place to learn basic work skills, such as time management, organization, and customer service. Because of the size of the store, there were not many openings for higher positions. The management was respectable and kind, but made sure that the work was done properly and in time. Because of the inconsistency of my schedule, it made life outside of work more difficult.

Overall, working at No Frills was a positive experience.
Pros
Good managers, choose when your breaks are
Cons
inconsistent scheduling
Depends on the boss
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
As a part time grocery clear you go through a lot of the same. But you will have a new manager working that day. Now, some of the managers are really nice and understand the hard work that actually goes into stocking and maintaining shelves, they'll crack jokes with you and not break your back for taking an extra two minutes on your break. But others will mercilessly bother you to work harder, faster, better, and stronger.
Mostly revolves around stocking shelves but the 7am shifts require you to check the bread and organize it, alone it takes 1:30 to 2:10 hrs. Then there's also doing the shopping cart corralling. Nothing to major. The coworkers are awesome and they made it a fun experience.
Pros
Great Owner and 2IC
Cons
Bad management
its a good job :)
Front cash (Current Employee) –  Gananoque, ONJune 6, 2016
I've just started working there, but for what I've seen I enjoy the job. I work front cash there, so I'm just ensuring customers leave happy.
Busy and flexible workplace with a good environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
A typical day work would include, lifting objects that can be 50+ pounds, pushing buggies back from the parking lot into the lobby, refilling displays of fruits and vegetables, and constantly providing customer service.
I've learned about business management, and operations management approaches, because I attended school at humber college for a business management program. Working at No Frill's helped me have a better understanding of it because I see the business techniques in action through the manager how he manages not only his but other peoples time, merchandising, and contracts within the company.
No Frill's is a team based workplace, and my co-workers do make a great team, everyone is friendly and respectful to each other, as we do plan times to spend with each other out of work. Everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses but each one of us are different from the other, and have different strengths that can make up for each others weaknesses.
One flaw about the job I would say is that since I work in the Produce Department only, we have not been trained to know the products that are in the grocery department, so when a customer asks a produce clerk about a product that is in the grocery department, sometimes we wouldn't know what the customer is talking about or sometimes don't know where it is located. So us produce clerks need to find a grocery clerk for assistance, but it seems like that department is under staff because most of the time, the grocery clerks would be in the back room or they are hard to find because of having two or three of them on
  more... the floor for such a big department.
But the most enjoyable about this job is that, it is very flexible for me because I attend school and they understand and have workers that can work if needed.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Grocery department understaff
Good for part time work
Grocery/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 27, 2016
Not much room for advancement and not the most enjoyable place to work. Younger group of employees therefore a lot more drama and high-school mentality. If you stick to your tasks such as facing shelves, unloading skids and setting up displays you can build on your creativity and work ethic.
Decent part time workplace environment
Grocery, Dairy, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
Start your shift with fulfilling duties requested by manager in charge, mostly influenced by head manager/store associate. Tasks usually vary depending on seniority between co-workers during the shift.
I have worked in the dairy department for example, where there hasn't been really a manager set in place, so i'd have to take control and more of a leading role. Due to seniority and majority of hours in that specific department I'd have the need to keep it organized and keep it up to the required standard.
Some days I could be pushing buggies outside. Other days I can be organizing the back room, moving skids around, taking product apart of skids, keeping it clean, and building trucks for co-workers. Taking more of a managers approach and role when there's a majority of lower by seniority co-workers during the same shift. Majority of co-workers are hard working, easy to get along , from many different ethnic cultures with a desire to work. Management is great as you move up in seniority you really notice the new things you learn from management and the trust they put in you to accomplish greater tasks.the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different customers on a day to day basis and working with your co-workers as a team.
Was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
I was happy to be working there and the other staff members where wonderful. I was also happy that if they where short staffed they would call me in to work for extra hours.
Pros
Paid luanch
Cons
there are no cons
Great work place with great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMay 16, 2016
great work place to be in with very nice employees. Everyone helps you if you dont know how to do something on the cash and makes you feel welcome when asking for help.
Pros
nice employees
Cons
Rude boss
not a bad first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABMay 10, 2016
i did not work here for very long. they were very good with giving me reasonable hours being in school at the time. i worked as a cashier first but standing on my feet not moving for 4-8 hours, depending on the day was not for me. However i moved to working stock and enjoyed it alot more.
Good Work Environment
Grocery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 10, 2016
The overall work environment of No Frills was very friendly and comfortable place to work. A typical day at work would be me arriving at 8 am to start my shift, where i would stock shelves with different products the store offered. around 11 am i would get a 30 min lunch, and then would continue my job until the end of my shift at 1:30pm. From this job, i have learned a lot about working with others in a friendly environment, stocking and organizing different products, and how to work quickly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job would be lifting the product cases, as they could be very heavy. My favourite part of the job was being able to work on my own, and with others at the same time to complete the overall goal of that day.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
not enough hours
Challenges your communication skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMay 9, 2016
Working at No Frills is really fun, especially if you're friends with all the other cashiers. Dealing with mean customers is no big deal if you're coworkers are nice. My typical day would be cashing out people or returning items.
Pros
They provide benefits for all workers
Great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Division Street, Kingston, OntarioMay 7, 2016
The training was quick, easy, and in-depth. I received a nice introduction into the cashier position and then once I was ready I went independent with the support I needed.
No Frills has Lots of Thrills
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 5, 2016
The rating above is actually my personal work experience. I was told I would just lift things and put them places, but there was more than I bargained for.
Produce Clerks also answer questions from customers, wrap "Reduce", do janitorial work, help customers carry their groceries to their car or wheelchair, manage a giant crushing machine, and stack lots and lots and LOTS of bananas. And to top it off, there's the need to memorize both what needs to be stacked and what's still in the cooler, in case a customer asks if we have any in stock.

It's not all that bad, though. Many of the co-workers are enthusiastic and helpful, doing whatever they can to support themselves and new employees. I'm sure newcomers will feel right at home.

As this was my first ever job experience, I now know that there's a lot more to a job than meets the eye, and am now ready to tackle many other jobs. I just hope I can find one.
Pros
A break room
Cons
No necessary tools (knives to cut box tape), lack of time for training
fast pace environment
produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
We would work as team get everything done at points management was not the greatest by hey i stuck with it got the work done with excellence and smile on my face every single day! There was a lot nice people I worked with that put smile on my face everyday so i won't complain. overall i learned a lot and i'm grateful for the experience.
Pros
nice people
Cons
poor management
ok
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABApril 23, 2016
its ok for work, not the best employees and hours, good management. best selling food and products. loved working in the backroom kepted it clean organized.
Pros
food
Cons
hours
too much hour for the minimum salary
Meat Department (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 22, 2016
from 7 to 1, I improved my customers service skill, very friendly, I enjoyed to work there. the hardest prt of this job is the minimum salary, the management is fine,I like to work so for me every thing was well.
Really good enviroment
Front End Clerk (Former Employee) –  11531 41Ave NW Edmonton, ABApril 22, 2016
I enjoyed going to work everyday, I learned how to weigh items and count change properly, I give a BOO to the management though. I didn't like the manager she didn't treat us all equally. Fun and easy going Coworkers. Hardest part of the job is trying to remember all the 4-digit produce codes. My co workers were fun and they were very patient with training.
Pros
Discounts, Free Pizza Lunch random days, Paid weekly
Cons
Standing in one spot, Sore legs, dealing with grouchy customers, lunch break short