No Frills Employee Reviews

great co workers
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 January 2017
a typical day at no frills would be serving the customers and making sure they get threw without any problems, providing a smile when putting groceries threw, when closing general cleaning of the lanes.
Pros
very flexible and understanding
Cons
over staffed
Amazing management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2017
Variety of working environments. Most days go by very quickly because there is always something to do. Management is very friendly and understanding. Customers are generally very happy with the right attitude towards them.
Pros
Variety of learning skills
Cons
Customers can be grumpy
Alrightplace to work but was stressful at times
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2017
Some of the managers and co-workers were nice but my Department Manager was not very nice to his employees sometimes and judged performance harshly. He saw what I could do when I'm hyper on Energy Drinks and assumed that was my normal speed and anything slower was me not trying which led to him getting mad at me a lot. All in all it's not a terrible place to work but be prepared todeal with easily upset managers or employees who are inexperienced getting better treatment.
Pros
Decent time stamps, nice co-workers
Cons
Managers too high strung sometimes, inexperience sometimes getting rewarded more then experience
Fast pace friendly environment.
Cashier/cash office clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2016
Fast pace environment. Must be able to multitask and count corrects change to complete customers transactions. Friendly and easygoing attitude is a must. Must be able to work well with others as well as individually. Knowledge of the products whereabouts is a plus as customers will often ask for assistance in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Management is quite accommodating at scheduling hrs or availability.
Cons
Unionized, hourly pay does not increase to match the increasing minimum wage.
Chill
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS27 December 2016
The workers there are like a family. It's always a fun time. Lots of jokes and laughs. It is a very chill place to work. There are no cons to this job, only pros. Love working at No Frills.
Managers were the best part
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 December 2016
Great peole to work for until the new owner took over. Still a great store just different service. I feel some of the most welcoming and caring staff were let go or fired. Still friendly just not as filled with smiles.
Great place to get some experience
Pharmacy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora Ontario Canada8 December 2016
Management for the whole store wasn't very good.. The guy was a pervert and didn't care about what anyone thought unless it made him look good.. Now, the Pharmacy was good.. They taught me so much.. my experience there was good.. it makes you realize that it is a lot harder then it looks.
Pros
Hours were different from the store's.. No tobacco or alcohol was sold on the location
Cons
Manager was a pervert
They do not follow the schedule that you provide them with and just give you any shifts.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 December 2016
A typical day at work, hear my boss complain the whole shift, snd yell. My co workers are fun, the hardest part of the job is my managers. The enjoyable part is that i get to put a smile on a customers face.
Pros
good hours
Cons
15 minute breaks
Very fun and productive within the department
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 November 2016
When the Produce manager was in all ran smoothly, but the heads of other departments just did not see eye to eye with him. This made for good and bad days at work. Other than that the job in itself was pretty simple.
Fun place to work at
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Overall great place to work, hours are resonable and easy to change. Fellow collegues are easy-going and fun to work with.
Productive, yet boring workplace.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges, ON20 November 2016
Work would be the same thing every shift, its either you stock, face, or push the carts back into their proper area. Very uninteresting and basic work. Not much you can learn while working here.
Cons
Uninteresting Work, Repetitive
Good place to gain work experience in Canadian market
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Fine management that takes time out to listen to employee problems and makes efforts to accommodate schedule, very friendly and helpful work environment.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 November 2016
no frills is a great place to work just not a lot of full time job,s but an excellent part time job. The people are nice and treat you with a lot of respect. Would recommend it as a good part time job. I learned how to manage my time approiateilly mad mulity task, keep up with the demand of goods
Not a good place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON15 November 2016
I wasn't getting any hours I got 3 days a week and then it went own from there. I thought i was doing fine, noon ever told me I wasn't then a few weeks later I got let go cause they said I wasn't understanding to something I was still on probation however so they didn't need a reason
Cons
Rude customers
Joe's No Frills Produce Clerk Review
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Typical day:

I usually have to fill bananas when I first start, which is fine because it's my favourite thing to fill. Then throughout the day I'm filling things that need filling, sweeping the floor when it needs it, preparing certain things, like celery and romaine, which need to be trimmed.
Closer to the end of my shift, I start reducing all the produce that was pulled from the shelf.
After we close, I do my regular closing duties, such as facing the product, taking things that need to be kept cold to the cooler etc.

All my coworkers and managers are great. I get along with every single one of them.
On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
My manager liked to pick on me.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON29 October 2016
My manager liked to pick on me because I was new. I didn't know everything about the store and still don't. My boss seems to think even if they don't tell me I should know everything about what is currently happening in store. I need an environment where my boss tells me everything I need to know to get the job done.
Pros
Sometimes there were snacks in the break room
Cons
Too much criticism and not enough "you're doing great"
Good Management
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 October 2016
At No Frills, everyday is pretty much the same day. You clock in and go straight to the the desk that you are designated. You scan every order purchased by customers and make sure none is left unpaid in the buggy. I got to memorize all the codes of produce and how to deal with difficult customers. The management are very particular with the time too so tardiness is not accepted. My co-workers became my friends that even though I don't work there anymore, we still hang out on our spare time. It's just really hard sometimes whenever they give me different time schedules because I work 2 jobs. sometimes I work 11pm-7am at timmies then I have to go work at No frills at 8am, but that only happens twice. Most of my schedule are afternoon. The most enjoyable part of my job there is seeing all the regular customers that are jolly especially the old people because they are really close to my heart.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not enough hours and unpredictable schedule.
no frills was a great place to work as a student
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB12 October 2016
i enjoyed working at no frills, my co workers were fantastic and reliable. a typical day at work involved simple cashier tasks, cleaning and costumer service
Pros
loved my co workers
Cons
not enough hours
The staff is great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK11 October 2016
I like working there but I did the same job before in kindersley and received top wage but when I started here I got minimum wage but I am required to do the same thing as my front end supervisors
Pros
Great people
Cons
Getting paid the same as the new people but I have way more experience

2.8