No Frills Employee Reviews

injoyable, strait foward, fast paste
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work for me was vary repetitive witch did lead to good understanding on what to do and how things are done, working in a grocery store was interesting, buying something new that I have not had before as I see something vary appetizing that I stock on the shelves. fun co workers with great social skills and positive attitudes even if someone was having a rough day. co workers and I would work hard as a team rather we are unloading shipments of products, to loading shelves and facing labels outwards for our customers to find what they are looking for.
Pros
masive salection in lunch when on brake and easy to shop for grocerys
Cons
no benifits
There are good days and bad days
Cash office supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 2, 2015
working at No Frills has been a great experience for the most part, my co-workers are great and so are some of the management.

Unfortunately the manager of the front end expects me a minimum wage employee to move up to a high position with more responsibility, with no raise in pay what so ever.

It didn't bother me at first but over time it wares you out.

but the job is great and the people I work with are amazing and from all different walks of lives.
Pros
great co-workers, flexable schduling
Cons
lack of orginization, underpaid
wonderful job yet awful management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABMarch 10, 2016
I absolutely loved working in produce, I learned the foundations of having responsibilities and working hard. The management was more so like high school students rather than professional workplace leaders. I would work roughly 25-30 hours a week, which included a lot of heavy lifting and working at a quick pace. The CEO was very selective on who she believed was a good person character wise and if she had decided that you were not a person of good characteristics, she would treat you as if you were not important nor did you amount to anything.
Pros
organizing and restocking shelves and displays
Cons
unfriendly co-workers
No Frills
Bookkeeper/Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NLJuly 28, 2016
I absolutely love working at no frills because it is exactly like working within a family environment regardless of if you are related to someone or not. I learned pretty well a majority of my life skills here as I was able to do pretty well every job the store has to offer so far. The hardest part of my day is when I have workers that don't want to move forward with the rest of us and I have to have a chat with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see everyone else is happy and not miserable.
Pros
Smiles, Laughs, Easy to work around schedules, Staff lunches, etc.
Cons
lots of call-ins, some days are crazy some days are dead
Fun and enjoyable part time job.
Grocery, Meat and Bread Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Good co-workers and approachable management. I enjoy interacting with customers and providing helpful customer service. The hardest part of my job is dealing with late deliveries and shorted items.
Pros
Great supervisor, positive work environment
Cons
Minimum wage, no benefits, no required certificates.
Depends on the boss
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
As a part time grocery clear you go through a lot of the same. But you will have a new manager working that day. Now, some of the managers are really nice and understand the hard work that actually goes into stocking and maintaining shelves, they'll crack jokes with you and not break your back for taking an extra two minutes on your break. But others will mercilessly bother you to work harder, faster, better, and stronger.
Mostly revolves around stocking shelves but the 7am shifts require you to check the bread and organize it, alone it takes 1:30 to 2:10 hrs. Then there's also doing the shopping cart corralling. Nothing to major. The coworkers are awesome and they made it a fun experience.
Pros
Great Owner and 2IC
Cons
Bad management
Good Work Environment
Grocery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 10, 2016
The overall work environment of No Frills was very friendly and comfortable place to work. A typical day at work would be me arriving at 8 am to start my shift, where i would stock shelves with different products the store offered. around 11 am i would get a 30 min lunch, and then would continue my job until the end of my shift at 1:30pm. From this job, i have learned a lot about working with others in a friendly environment, stocking and organizing different products, and how to work quickly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job would be lifting the product cases, as they could be very heavy. My favourite part of the job was being able to work on my own, and with others at the same time to complete the overall goal of that day.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
not enough hours
No Frills has Lots of Thrills
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 5, 2016
The rating above is actually my personal work experience. I was told I would just lift things and put them places, but there was more than I bargained for.
Produce Clerks also answer questions from customers, wrap "Reduce", do janitorial work, help customers carry their groceries to their car or wheelchair, manage a giant crushing machine, and stack lots and lots and LOTS of bananas. And to top it off, there's the need to memorize both what needs to be stacked and what's still in the cooler, in case a customer asks if we have any in stock.

It's not all that bad, though. Many of the co-workers are enthusiastic and helpful, doing whatever they can to support themselves and new employees. I'm sure newcomers will feel right at home.

As this was my first ever job experience, I now know that there's a lot more to a job than meets the eye, and am now ready to tackle many other jobs. I just hope I can find one.
Pros
A break room
Cons
No necessary tools (knives to cut box tape), lack of time for training
No Frills
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 30, 2016
A typical day at No Frill's wasn't at all what I thought working at a Grocery Store would be like. I was trained for 1 month on how to use a cash register and cash out the customers. Just like everyone else I would go up to the office, take my till for my assigned lane and start the days work. My manager was a "ok" type of person, she didn't talk much, I always got the feeling that she didn't like me, we barely spoke. The co-workers were kind, most of them anyway. It was usually slow in the morning but would get busier throughout the day. Many times I would feel unsafe working in that type of environment because many of the customers were very mean, bread was thrown at me, I got spat on multiple times and called the "N word". One particular situation got the best of me and I started crying at my lane, it was the worst day I could've possibly had working at No Frills. The hardest part of my job was remembering codes and keeping calm, especially when I was getting harassed by some of the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was clocking out. Out of all that I had endured, I must say I have a lot more patience now.
Pros
Working with my sister
Cons
Being harassed
Good first job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJune 13, 2016
No Frills provided a great place to learn basic work skills, such as time management, organization, and customer service. Because of the size of the store, there were not many openings for higher positions. The management was respectable and kind, but made sure that the work was done properly and in time. Because of the inconsistency of my schedule, it made life outside of work more difficult.

Overall, working at No Frills was a positive experience.
Pros
Good managers, choose when your breaks are
Cons
inconsistent scheduling
Productive, Fun and a Safe place to work on
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2016
It was a nice place to work on especially to all the person like me who just work for the first time. At first it's hard because you need to memorize all the codes especially when you're at the cash. Stressful, but at the end of the day, it's all worth it. Good salary, benefits and environment.
Pros
Get together parties during holidays
Cons
Long hours, stressful jobs
Great for novel job experience
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONAugust 14, 2016
Upon my arrival, No Frills was open to accepting a number of high school students looking for part-time cashier jobs and many young adults who already had gained experience in other grocery markets, not to mention admit both high school students and young adults IN BULK!
Pros
Break times, short shifts, flexible hours
Cons
No drinks other than water at front
Under-average Work Place
Grocery Store Representative (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Difficulty communicating with owner/employees in regards to scheduling. Lack of hours without notice, or reasoning. Taught me organization skills, as well as customer service skills.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Lack of Communication/Management skills, No hours, uncomfortable environment
easy going and friendly work place
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 13, 2016
this work place is relaxed and everyone outs in there equal effort to complete the tasks at hand. management is respectful and friendly. no frills works around your schedule and tries to make everyone's time fit in to the work schedule.
Pros
easy going work environment
Cons
some people don't put full effort in
Really good enviroment
Front End Clerk (Former Employee) –  11531 41Ave NW Edmonton, ABApril 22, 2016
I enjoyed going to work everyday, I learned how to weigh items and count change properly, I give a BOO to the management though. I didn't like the manager she didn't treat us all equally. Fun and easy going Coworkers. Hardest part of the job is trying to remember all the 4-digit produce codes. My co workers were fun and they were very patient with training.
Pros
Discounts, Free Pizza Lunch random days, Paid weekly
Cons
Standing in one spot, Sore legs, dealing with grouchy customers, lunch break short
Easy going
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 7, 2016
Simple tasks; straight forward
Boosts communication skills
Safe and friendly environment
Management is very friendly and easy to get along with
Everyone is extremely accepting and friendly
Most enjoyable part is socializing with co-workers
Hardest part is closing on a busy day
Pros
Weekly rewards
Cons
No special benefits
Good Coworkers. Nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 29, 2016
Not anything special, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it is not.
How to work together with others,
Co workers were nice, helpful and very friendly.
There was nothing too hard, it was okay.
When i would work or have a shift with someone i knew well. it would be a fun shift
Pros
None.
Cons
No such benefits
Flexible Hours
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
Has flexible hours...people are great to work with. Need to be somewhat strong and well organized.Management could be better but overall great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not enough hours
My Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day would include cashing customers out at the register, help stock shelves and helping customers with anything they need.

I enjoy the people I work with & find management to be fair.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly atmosphere I have at work.

The hardest part of the job is the fact I'm standing for a majority of my day.
Pros
Friendly Atomsphere
Cons
The Commute
Fantastic work hours, very minimial pay
Manager On Duty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2016
I loved my manager, coworkers, and hours I was giving at this job. Unfortunately our owner was not willing to pay more than minimum wage when I worked here, and every 500 hours we received a 5 cent raise. I left to go serve because I needed more money per hour that I worked.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Pay

2.8