No Frills Employee Reviews

Great part-time workplace for students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
Working here was great. Don't expect salary advances or to be treated as an individual. No use in working hard nobody will apprecaite it
Pros
Fun staff, great customers
Cons
Management isn't so nice
Good summer job for students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 March 2017
The job itself is good but the pay and hours could have been better as well as the benefits. Good job to meet to meet new people, generally had nice coworkers
Productive, Fun and a Safe place to work on
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
It was a nice place to work on especially to all the person like me who just work for the first time. At first it's hard because you need to memorize all the codes especially when you're at the cash. Stressful, but at the end of the day, it's all worth it. Good salary, benefits and environment.
Pros
Get together parties during holidays
Cons
Long hours, stressful jobs
Fun place to work Except for some employees
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON1 February 2017
A typical day would be filled with various small jobs that needed to be completed including filling shelves, inventory management, scanning out broken/damaged items and many more small jobs. I learned that working hard and volunteering to do more in the workplace helped my advancement in the business and with the people who employed me. The owners of this workplace were probably the best bosses I've had out of all my experiences, they were very humorous and made work more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was dealing with one manager who put everyone down and was an overall bully. He always made the workplace a uncomfortable environment and even caused a fellow employee to have an anxiety attack. Besides that everyone else were very kind and also put a smile on my face. The most enjoyable part of working there was getting to know everyone and work together making a difference.
Pros
Great Owners, union and good people
Cons
One bad manager
Good Coworkers. Nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 September 2016
Not anything special, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it is not.
How to work together with others,
Co workers were nice, helpful and very friendly.
There was nothing too hard, it was okay.
When i would work or have a shift with someone i knew well. it would be a fun shift
Pros
None.
Cons
No such benefits
Easy going
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 August 2016
Simple tasks; straight forward
Boosts communication skills
Safe and friendly environment
Management is very friendly and easy to get along with
Everyone is extremely accepting and friendly
Most enjoyable part is socializing with co-workers
Hardest part is closing on a busy day
Pros
Weekly rewards
Cons
No special benefits
Fantastic work hours, very minimial pay
Manager On Duty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2016
I loved my manager, coworkers, and hours I was giving at this job. Unfortunately our owner was not willing to pay more than minimum wage when I worked here, and every 500 hours we received a 5 cent raise. I left to go serve because I needed more money per hour that I worked.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Pay
Good Place for Students
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
Must be able to stand for long periods of time, no benefits, accommodating hours. Not much room to grow. Management making demands lasts minute. Pro: unionized.
On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
Productive, fast, upbeat and busy place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 March 2017
No Frills can be very busy, but shifts go by fast. Management is good, and you get to work with good co-workers. But sometimes it can be hard with the type of customers we get. The most enjoyable moments are where you get a chance to talk and get to know everyone, and where you are greeted by your co workers and certain customers, even when you are not working on the day. Since applying to No Frills, ive learned and improved my hand-eye coordination, and also improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Sometimes we get treats! Also great co-workers to talk to, you get to make new friends, and recieve the freedom to be independent
Cons
No Security
great job evironment
clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 January 2017
The work environment is pretty straight forward, easy to learn and for the most part organized.What i learned is the fact of how easy the job can be.Management are for the most part easy to get along with and help you whenever in need. The workplace culture is good and it has a good atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is facing,facing is really monotonous and a bit of a drag.Working with the ppl.
Pros
it's not hard work
Cons
not enough hours
Snarky management, medium-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB7 March 2017
Shifts have slow periods and fast periods, if you work as cashier you will be expected to face the shelves in your spare time and potentially help in the grocery department.

The manager, however, has hiring sprees, in which she will hire 9 new cashiers on a single Saturday, leaving all the other longer-lasting employees with little to no hours. Will get angry when you phone in sick.

You will either get far more hours than you ask for, or hardly any.
Pros
Free bags?
Cons
Bad management
Good Management
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 October 2016
At No Frills, everyday is pretty much the same day. You clock in and go straight to the the desk that you are designated. You scan every order purchased by customers and make sure none is left unpaid in the buggy. I got to memorize all the codes of produce and how to deal with difficult customers. The management are very particular with the time too so tardiness is not accepted. My co-workers became my friends that even though I don't work there anymore, we still hang out on our spare time. It's just really hard sometimes whenever they give me different time schedules because I work 2 jobs. sometimes I work 11pm-7am at timmies then I have to go work at No frills at 8am, but that only happens twice. Most of my schedule are afternoon. The most enjoyable part of my job there is seeing all the regular customers that are jolly especially the old people because they are really close to my heart.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not enough hours and unpredictable schedule.
Fast pace friendly environment.
Cashier/cash office clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2016
Fast pace environment. Must be able to multitask and count corrects change to complete customers transactions. Friendly and easygoing attitude is a must. Must be able to work well with others as well as individually. Knowledge of the products whereabouts is a plus as customers will often ask for assistance in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Management is quite accommodating at scheduling hrs or availability.
Cons
Unionized, hourly pay does not increase to match the increasing minimum wage.
Good place to be working at, very flexible with hours.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
No Frills is a good place to work at if you are in high school, they are very flexible with hours. I, however have graduated from high school and need more hours too build my savings and college funds for the future. No Frills is my first job, it has taught me a lot of patience dealing with customers and how to communicate with them. (naturally a quiet person towards people I don't know) at first I would not be asking how their day was but now a lot of customers have recognized who I am and enjoy speaking with me. The hardest part of my job is to cope with the customers who aren't happy, but I've learned how to deal with these situations these past two years I've had this job. The most enjoyable part is to see my customers happy and leave with a smile.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 August 2016
great people and environment. awesome company and great benefits. always fun when I go into work. awesome
Challenges your communication skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON9 May 2016
Working at No Frills is really fun, especially if you're friends with all the other cashiers. Dealing with mean customers is no big deal if you're coworkers are nice. My typical day would be cashing out people or returning items.
Pros
They provide benefits for all workers
Cons
Alrightplace to work but was stressful at times
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2017
Some of the managers and co-workers were nice but my Department Manager was not very nice to his employees sometimes and judged performance harshly. He saw what I could do when I'm hyper on Energy Drinks and assumed that was my normal speed and anything slower was me not trying which led to him getting mad at me a lot. All in all it's not a terrible place to work but be prepared todeal with easily upset managers or employees who are inexperienced getting better treatment.
Pros
Decent time stamps, nice co-workers
Cons
Managers too high strung sometimes, inexperience sometimes getting rewarded more then experience
injoyable, strait foward, fast paste
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 January 2016
A typical day at work for me was vary repetitive witch did lead to good understanding on what to do and how things are done, working in a grocery store was interesting, buying something new that I have not had before as I see something vary appetizing that I stock on the shelves. fun co workers with great social skills and positive attitudes even if someone was having a rough day. co workers and I would work hard as a team rather we are unloading shipments of products, to loading shelves and facing labels outwards for our customers to find what they are looking for.
Pros
masive salection in lunch when on brake and easy to shop for grocerys
Cons
no benifits
understanding management, fun people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sturgeon Falls, ON27 February 2017
The average shift consist of spending the day serving customers, and when there are no customers you clean your lane, and other lanes if dirty, make sure your work place is clean, and safe, restock gum, chocolate bars, ect. at the front of the store. At the end of your shift clean and tidy your work place for the next person.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
lunches aren't paid, standing for a long time

2.8