No Frills Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great First Job
Cashier (Current Employee), Kingston, OntarioMarch 21, 2015
Pros: talking to customers, making friends with coworkers, great experience if this is your first job
Cons: having to walk in to get your hours, the pay
Been with No Frills for two years now and I love it. A typical day at work as a cashier is obviously mostly ringing customers through a cash which gets easier and easier. I've learned many PLU codes, produce codes. They don't have barcodes so you have to type them in. Memorizing them is easy as pie.

I've learned customer service skills. You deal with customers the entire shift and I've learned that if you have enthusiasm, positivity and friendliness the customers will absolutely adore you. It's great talking to a whole bunch of different customers from all walks of life. They are great to give advice if you're young like me and they let you know if the weather is worth missing or if it's a beautiful day and you're missing out. Either way talking to the customers and other cashiers I personally find is the best part.

Management is pretty decent. All of the managers at my No Frills are really nice and funny and we all get along great, it's like a family. The co-workers are great too. Sometimes they are too great, like I can't stop talking to them when I'm standing in front of my cash waiting for a customer. I've met so many people from other schools at No Frills it's great.

The hardest part of the job I think are the long shifts depending on how much sleep you got the night before and how early your shift is. Also the standing isn't too fun. I highly recommend getting the comfiest shoes out there. I also recommend sleeping that night after a long shift with your feet elevated so they aren't sore the next day. Something I wish No Frills did was pay all the cashiers the same. – more... If you're under 18 you get payed $10.30 and over 18 is $11.00. People who are over and under 18 do the exact same job and should get paid the same. I know people that work at other places in town and they get paid $11 and they are the same age as me (under 18) or even younger. Another bad thing about No Frills is that they are stuck in the 80s in some ways. Like you have to get your work schedule at work. You have to walk in and get it, instead of getting an e-mail with it which is kinda annoying.

The most enjoyable parts of the job in the end are:
-dealing with nice customers & having a decent conversation w/ them
-having great friends at work, feels like a family (co-workers)
-work experience, at the end of the day you need to get started somewhere and this is a great place for that – less
Very good management but not my kind of workplace
Bakery/Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Saint John, NBJune 21, 2015
Pros: Long hours, good management, good supervision.
Cons: Cooler set up, employees (grocery department)
A typical day at No Frills was pretty straight forward; open, reduce, than stock and clean until close. I definetly learned a few things while being employed at No Frills, one of the main things being that the grocery/supermarket business really wasn't for me. I started out training in the produce department, until I sliced my thumb open cutting celery. I was bleeding so profusely that my body felt weak and my head felt weary. After that shift, I was then transferred to the bakery stock department. After about a week into training I felt extremely comfortable with the daily routine and almost all of the tasks at hand, but in the freezer there would be stock from other departments blocking my products, and I physically didn't have the strength to move the pallets with a pallet jack, nor did I feel comfortable with using an electric hand jack, so that was when I had decided it was time I left No Frills. I didn't feel comfortable with what I was doing so now I'm trying to pursue something I'd have a better chance of professing in; such as a customer service represenitive (with emphasis in the fashion industry because I'm so into clothing and dressing up) or a cashier, with my bright, cheerful attitude and my will to help others get to where they need to be.
Not the best
Cashier (Former Employee), Arnprior, ONNovember 25, 2013
Pros: friendly cashiers
Cons: strict management
Working there I have never felt so stressed in my life. I have worked in grocery stores before and never have I felt so degraded in my life.

Management was rude, inconsiderate and only nice when they needed something from you, like to take a shift or work extra late. They yelled and were constantly angered by the smallest mistakes.

I always took shifts when they asked me and was never once late. However, management always seemed upset and would use any excuse as to get mad at you. I once asked for one day off because I had to go out of town and it was a HUGE deal, even though I had line-ups of people willing to take my shift. Finally, they allowed someone to take it, but that was after they gave me a long lecture and guilt trip, even though I always happily took other peoples' shifts.

A company employee who was supposed to be part of management once swore at me and was extremely rude. He accused me of messing up my cash, when in fact, it had been someone else. He used the words "did you mess up your cash today?" to which I replied "no," and he responded, "better f*&king not have."

I liked the people I worked with, just not the management. I felt like I was always looked down upon and was never truly appreciated.

Every time I went in for a shift it seemed like something was always 'wrong'. They always got mad at the smallest things, even with others.
Productive and well managed work environment
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 8, 2014
A typical day at work would start off with the arrival of a new order of products which could be for either the grocery, dairy, frozen, bakery, or produce departments. Once the order had arrived grocery clerks such as myself would begin stocking the products on their designated shelves/bunkers. Once the order was complete the grocery clerks would begin working on back stock (left over products from previous orders that there was now room for on the shelves) until the end of their shift. I learned many things during my time working for no frills including how to properly stock different products, how to use a hand jack, how to deal with customers, and how to work well with a large group of co-workers. From my experience the management at no frills was very good. My managers were always organized and ready to assist if need be. I would say the hardest part of the job would be loading/unloading heavy boxes which I still had no problem with. And finally I would say that the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my co-workers. This is because my no frills had a very friendly and welcoming environment which allowed all employees to work together positively.
No Frills has been a great place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee), Shelburne, ONSeptember 3, 2012
Pros: benefits such as free prescriptions, and $1000 dental
Cons: mad customers when debit goes down
A typical day at No Frills was always a great experience. The customer were usually great and when they weren't you learned how to be poliet and not let it get to you as soon you would see another customer. I learned how to do tags for products, no scans, alternatice prices, and learned alot of the produce codes. The mangement at No Frills, located in Shelburne, is amazing. It was such a joy to talk to my boss as we got along very well as he knew I was a good worker and he loved to have me there. My coworkers have become close friends as they are such great people. The hardest part of my job was to deal with customers who were upset or annoyed with something, but having worked with tenants I knew how to handle them. The most enjoyable part of my job at No Frills is the fact that alot of customers would wave and remembered me as they enjoyed going through my line as I am a fast cashier and very friendly.
A very professional, serious workplace- For better and worse
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABMay 17, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: inflexible, forced hours with harsh punishments and zero job-security.
The job is basic incarnate, essentially impossible to mess up given proper training. The customers are generally respectful and easy to help, management is concise and everything is generally pretty peachy.

Until you're sick for a day, wherein the company is perfectly happy with tossing you into the ditch and picking up another round of newbies.

Easy to get into the job, yes, if only for the fact that the employee turn-over per year is at a quite frankly disturbing level. I heard a figure that reached triple digits, as in upwards of 100 or more, but nothing official or statistically solid. With how many people I saw go in my time there, I'm inclined to believe it.

No discounts either.

So in short, it's a good place to work at as long as you never miss a day for any reason ever, you don't mind a sub-minimum wage pay, and no benefits.
Hard work with pretty good management
Clerk (Former Employee), Etobicoke, OntarioOctober 6, 2013
Pros: i like working with food, knowledgeable management, close to work
Cons: stealing employee, physically difficult with only minimum wage as payment, lot's of carts to return
I worked at no frills briefly and I can't say I work there again. I felt that although I was earning minimum wage I was not paid a good amount for all the work I was doing. I used to be very skinny with very little muscle mass which does not work well with this sort of job. There was always a high amount of shopping carts in the parking lot that I had to return but no machine to me return them. It got rather hectic during a holiday. The managers were really good and knew their stuff although I was not given enough training for a first time job. I later found out that some employees were stealing. The job was just a short bus ride away which was awesome. I left because of school but I could not see my self working there more then a year or so unlike blockbuster.
Excellent Managment and Staff
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), 1226 Place d'Orleans Dr.February 13, 2014
Pros: friendly and approachable staff
Cons: few hours
Upon arrival at work I survey my department and take note of any missing or low inventory and immediately refill the items. Throughout the day I assess the displays and bring out any product which needs topping up, while maintaining my stock area free of any clutter; this involves either cleaning the counters or reducing skids. If I see any customers having difficulty I approach them and offer my assistance. Both Management and Co-Workers are exceptionally friendly and approachable, for the most part everyone has a smile on their face and I've never hesitated in asking anyone a question work related or otherwise. The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant interaction with customers and co-workers as well as the opportunity to familiarize myself with different fruits and vegetables, as it compliments my health related interests.
Interesting experience
Front End cashier (Former Employee), Tonronto, ONOctober 22, 2013
Pros: faster working pace.
Cons: bare negative emotions.
Working in NoFrills provided me a chance to learn to communicate and pass on the best accurate answer to people. In a typical work day, I will have to make sure customers are satisfied with the services I provide also I will have to make sure the price of groceries are accurate, I will usually do a little chat with the co-workers while there was no customers at the cashier, they are all very kind. Co-workers will have to provide help and develop a team while serving the customers. For example, one less experienced cashier could not remember the product code and the experienced ones will help him/her. There are numerous difficult time in working in NoFrills. Sometime customers got less patient while waiting in line. Some of they tend to release the negative emotions on the cashier ever though service was accurate.
Secure workplace with great co-workers however I do not receive many hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2015
Nofrills is a very secure job that provides enough hours when enrolled in school however it does not provide enough hours when school is not in session. The environment and co workers are all very friendly and outgoing, after three years of working with them they have truly become my family, however it is time for me to move on in order to build on my experience. A typical day at work involves me cashing out customers groceries, facing the store, doing returns and attending to all customer inquiries. There is nothing very hard about the job for me, the only negative thing that comes to mind is the lack of hours I receive. The most enjoyable part of the job is certainly interacting with the customers and the strong bond I have developed with my coworkers.
Overall experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Cornwall, ONDecember 8, 2012
Pros: great people, good shifts, good hours
Cons: only being a cashier for that long can get boring.
I loved every moment of working at the grocery store. I met some of the best people there. I am only a cashier but was about to be trained for supervisor until I moved. They take really great care of their employees and we're like one big family. The hardest part of being a cashier is dealing with angry customers. If they weren't happy with their overall experience, the cashier is the last person they see, therefore, the person they take it out on. The best part would be talking to the general public. I worked there three years and counting so it gave me great customer service skills. It's also great working there because although I'm rarely home, they keep me as an employee for a fallback plan. My favourite job so far.
Excellent place to start, amazing coworkers
Meat Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2014
Pros: amazing coworkers, pizza lunches for a job well done
Cons: not enough hours at times, manager switches
Typically at work I would check dates, stock shelves, clean shelves, answer any and all customer questions or concerns and make sure everything was in proper working order.
At work, I learned to be independent and get my job done well, on time and with the maximum amount of effort possible.
The managers switched around a lot, but the few who stayed were amazing, they always made sure I felt welcome into our little No Frills family.
My coworkers were the best part about my job, they made coming into work the most amazing time. I went in for a job and came out with tons of new friends. We all help each other out and make sure we`re all on task. I couldn`t have asked for a better team!
Productive place to work at with fun, hard working employers.
Stocker (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: pay was weekly and you get free lunch on holidays such as christmas and thanksgiving.
Cons: distance between my house and job was far, and you're always kept longer than when your shift is over
A typical day at work was to begin by stack eggs to make sure there full, then always checking the milk crates to see when it is needed to be stacked to be filled. After, we go stack any new packages that arrive and face products on the shelves. The management of the dairy department was very calm and relaxed but also stressed on the importance of being a hard worker and likes things done with 100% effort. The co-workers where very insightful and friendly. Hardest part of the job was the fast paced movement and getting everything done before your time expires.
Fast-paced customer-oriented environment
Customer Service and Cash Office (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 7, 2013
A typical day at work consists of either opening or closing the front end of the store. This includes counting cash registers and ensuring all money balances. A regular day at work always involves satisfying customers' interests. The biggest thing that I have learned while working at No Frills is that communication is key to providing customers with exceptional service. The management at my work is great and always able to assist with any questions myself and co-workers have. Every day is enjoyable at work since I have such great co-workers. The hardest part of the job is telling a customer something they do not want to hear. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different people every day.
Enjoyable place to work
Grocery clerk (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 2, 2015
Pros: Staff/Coworkers
Cons: Keeping department clean
Typical day at Nofrills included simple and easy tasks given to you by the managers, never had to put much thought into the work you do. Working as a grocery clerk your job consists of stocking shelves (including doing overstock), helping customers and cleaning up the aisles.
What I learned - new ways to quickly get stock out on the floor while memorizing where each product goes.
Management was decent, although there was a lack of communications between the employer and the employees.
Co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
Hardest part of the job was keeping displays and end caps clean on big sale days.
Most enjoyable - being able to work by myself and run most of the department by myself.
Productive upbeat workplace
Inventory Control Clerk (part-time) (Former Employee), Greater Napanee, ONOctober 24, 2012
Days went by fst because there were always good people around. I learned time management and all the background work that goes into getting product too the shelves and how much product there really is. Management was good and always on the floor doing work part timers would do which made me feel he really enjoyed what he did. Hardest part of the job was pushing the carts outside because we did not have the motorized vehicle which pushes them, yet that made it somewhat fun knowing I was also getting a work out. The part in which I most enjoyed about No Frills in Napanee is everyone seemed to get a long at some point and people would laugh and joke around while having a good time.
Cashier Position to help with school and family expenses
Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Open and Closing of store, Full time Cashier, got hired out of 1,000 people. Open store, greet customers, put away returns, clean station, handle money, overrides, inventory, key holder.

I started out as a cashier and then they moved me to work on the floor then back to cashier, I also received override privileges.

I learned some managerial duties such as overrides and collecting money at the end of the night, I also closed often.

I worked alongside many co-workers and developed strong team work ethics.

the hardest part of the job was at the beginning when trying to memorize all of the codes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make customers and co-workers happy
Flexible hours and good work/life balance
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: Long relentless hours
Not a difficult job as you mostly just scan and collect money. The hours are very flexible, you could have your availability for just weekends, provided that you've worked there for a bit and you have a reasonable excuse such as school. Half of my co workers are teenagers and the other half are in their 30s+. The pay isn't that great, if you're under 18 you only get $10.30, once your 18 or older its $11. It's a pretty boring job as your standing for hours repeating the same thing and performing the same actions, your feet will end up killing by the time your shift is done. However, if you need some money on the side of your busy life, this job wouldn't be half bad.
injoyable, strait foward, fast paste
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: masive salection in lunch when on brake and easy to shop for grocerys
Cons: no benifits
A typical day at work for me was vary repetitive witch did lead to good understanding on what to do and how things are done, working in a grocery store was interesting, buying something new that I have not had before as I see something vary appetizing that I stock on the shelves. fun co workers with great social skills and positive attitudes even if someone was having a rough day. co workers and I would work hard as a team rather we are unloading shipments of products, to loading shelves and facing labels outwards for our customers to find what they are looking for.
No Frills review
Meat & Deli (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKDecember 23, 2013
Pros: payday every week
Cons: unhappy customers
A typical day was always different which I enjoyed.
What I learned is how a meat department is run.
Management was great, they understood me and my personality.
Co-workers were so-so, I believe there's a time and place to share information about themselves and others.
The hardest part of my job was coming out of my shyness, but it has improved during my time away from there. Also not having the right answers for the customers. I felt like I wasn't fulfilling the customers needs because they would ask the oddest questions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was keeping my department clean and full of stock, seeing a job well done.