No Frills Employee Reviews

On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
Good Management
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 October 2016
At No Frills, everyday is pretty much the same day. You clock in and go straight to the the desk that you are designated. You scan every order purchased by customers and make sure none is left unpaid in the buggy. I got to memorize all the codes of produce and how to deal with difficult customers. The management are very particular with the time too so tardiness is not accepted. My co-workers became my friends that even though I don't work there anymore, we still hang out on our spare time. It's just really hard sometimes whenever they give me different time schedules because I work 2 jobs. sometimes I work 11pm-7am at timmies then I have to go work at No frills at 8am, but that only happens twice. Most of my schedule are afternoon. The most enjoyable part of my job there is seeing all the regular customers that are jolly especially the old people because they are really close to my heart.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not enough hours and unpredictable schedule.
Depends on the boss
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
As a part time grocery clear you go through a lot of the same. But you will have a new manager working that day. Now, some of the managers are really nice and understand the hard work that actually goes into stocking and maintaining shelves, they'll crack jokes with you and not break your back for taking an extra two minutes on your break. But others will mercilessly bother you to work harder, faster, better, and stronger.
Mostly revolves around stocking shelves but the 7am shifts require you to check the bread and organize it, alone it takes 1:30 to 2:10 hrs. Then there's also doing the shopping cart corralling. Nothing to major. The coworkers are awesome and they made it a fun experience.
Pros
Great Owner and 2IC
Cons
Bad management
Productive, Fun and a Safe place to work on
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
It was a nice place to work on especially to all the person like me who just work for the first time. At first it's hard because you need to memorize all the codes especially when you're at the cash. Stressful, but at the end of the day, it's all worth it. Good salary, benefits and environment.
Pros
Get together parties during holidays
Cons
Long hours, stressful jobs
Fast pace friendly environment.
Cashier/cash office clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2016
Fast pace environment. Must be able to multitask and count corrects change to complete customers transactions. Friendly and easygoing attitude is a must. Must be able to work well with others as well as individually. Knowledge of the products whereabouts is a plus as customers will often ask for assistance in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Management is quite accommodating at scheduling hrs or availability.
Cons
Unionized, hourly pay does not increase to match the increasing minimum wage.
Easy going
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 August 2016
Simple tasks; straight forward
Boosts communication skills
Safe and friendly environment
Management is very friendly and easy to get along with
Everyone is extremely accepting and friendly
Most enjoyable part is socializing with co-workers
Hardest part is closing on a busy day
Pros
Weekly rewards
Cons
No special benefits
Fantastic work hours, very minimial pay
Manager On Duty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2016
I loved my manager, coworkers, and hours I was giving at this job. Unfortunately our owner was not willing to pay more than minimum wage when I worked here, and every 500 hours we received a 5 cent raise. I left to go serve because I needed more money per hour that I worked.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Pay
Great place to get some experience
Pharmacy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora Ontario Canada8 December 2016
Management for the whole store wasn't very good.. The guy was a pervert and didn't care about what anyone thought unless it made him look good.. Now, the Pharmacy was good.. They taught me so much.. my experience there was good.. it makes you realize that it is a lot harder then it looks.
Pros
Hours were different from the store's.. No tobacco or alcohol was sold on the location
Cons
Manager was a pervert
Good Place for Students
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
Must be able to stand for long periods of time, no benefits, accommodating hours. Not much room to grow. Management making demands lasts minute. Pro: unionized.
Decent part time workplace environment
Grocery, Dairy, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
Start your shift with fulfilling duties requested by manager in charge, mostly influenced by head manager/store associate. Tasks usually vary depending on seniority between co-workers during the shift.
I have worked in the dairy department for example, where there hasn't been really a manager set in place, so i'd have to take control and more of a leading role. Due to seniority and majority of hours in that specific department I'd have the need to keep it organized and keep it up to the required standard.
Some days I could be pushing buggies outside. Other days I can be organizing the back room, moving skids around, taking product apart of skids, keeping it clean, and building trucks for co-workers. Taking more of a managers approach and role when there's a majority of lower by seniority co-workers during the same shift. Majority of co-workers are hard working, easy to get along , from many different ethnic cultures with a desire to work. Management is great as you move up in seniority you really notice the new things you learn from management and the trust they put in you to accomplish greater tasks.the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different customers on a day to day basis and working with your co-workers as a team.
Alrightplace to work but was stressful at times
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2017
Some of the managers and co-workers were nice but my Department Manager was not very nice to his employees sometimes and judged performance harshly. He saw what I could do when I'm hyper on Energy Drinks and assumed that was my normal speed and anything slower was me not trying which led to him getting mad at me a lot. All in all it's not a terrible place to work but be prepared todeal with easily upset managers or employees who are inexperienced getting better treatment.
Pros
Decent time stamps, nice co-workers
Cons
Managers too high strung sometimes, inexperience sometimes getting rewarded more then experience
Amazing management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2017
Variety of working environments. Most days go by very quickly because there is always something to do. Management is very friendly and understanding. Customers are generally very happy with the right attitude towards them.
Pros
Variety of learning skills
Cons
Customers can be grumpy
Good Coworkers. Nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 September 2016
Not anything special, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it is not.
How to work together with others,
Co workers were nice, helpful and very friendly.
There was nothing too hard, it was okay.
When i would work or have a shift with someone i knew well. it would be a fun shift
Pros
None.
Cons
No such benefits
easy going and friendly work place
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 September 2016
this work place is relaxed and everyone outs in there equal effort to complete the tasks at hand. management is respectful and friendly. no frills works around your schedule and tries to make everyone's time fit in to the work schedule.
Pros
easy going work environment
Cons
some people don't put full effort in
Managers were the best part
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 December 2016
Great peole to work for until the new owner took over. Still a great store just different service. I feel some of the most welcoming and caring staff were let go or fired. Still friendly just not as filled with smiles.
Productive, supervisor was condescending. co-workers nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 January 2017
I reported to the office to find out where which cash I was being placed on, and discuss sales on that day. I processed cash, debit, credit transactions, took coupons, sometimes refunds, or hold orders. My supervisor told us to be vigilant of people stealing. The interview was very intensive, asked many questions and why she should pick me and not the other candidates. I felt they like to exercise their power. Maybe it was just that No Frills, I have worked at others and it was not as intensive. Overall, not bad, supervisor was on a power trip.
Pros
co-workers nice
Cons
supervisor was consescending
Joe's No Frills Produce Clerk Review
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Typical day:

I usually have to fill bananas when I first start, which is fine because it's my favourite thing to fill. Then throughout the day I'm filling things that need filling, sweeping the floor when it needs it, preparing certain things, like celery and romaine, which need to be trimmed.
Closer to the end of my shift, I start reducing all the produce that was pulled from the shelf.
After we close, I do my regular closing duties, such as facing the product, taking things that need to be kept cold to the cooler etc.

All my coworkers and managers are great. I get along with every single one of them.
Good place to gain work experience in Canadian market
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Fine management that takes time out to listen to employee problems and makes efforts to accommodate schedule, very friendly and helpful work environment.
Challenges your communication skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON9 May 2016
Working at No Frills is really fun, especially if you're friends with all the other cashiers. Dealing with mean customers is no big deal if you're coworkers are nice. My typical day would be cashing out people or returning items.
Pros
They provide benefits for all workers
Good first job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON13 June 2016
No Frills provided a great place to learn basic work skills, such as time management, organization, and customer service. Because of the size of the store, there were not many openings for higher positions. The management was respectable and kind, but made sure that the work was done properly and in time. Because of the inconsistency of my schedule, it made life outside of work more difficult.

Overall, working at No Frills was a positive experience.
Pros
Good managers, choose when your breaks are
Cons
inconsistent scheduling

2.8