No Frills Employee Reviews

Productive, supervisor was condescending. co-workers nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 January 2017
I reported to the office to find out where which cash I was being placed on, and discuss sales on that day. I processed cash, debit, credit transactions, took coupons, sometimes refunds, or hold orders. My supervisor told us to be vigilant of people stealing. The interview was very intensive, asked many questions and why she should pick me and not the other candidates. I felt they like to exercise their power. Maybe it was just that No Frills, I have worked at others and it was not as intensive. Overall, not bad, supervisor was on a power trip.
Pros
co-workers nice
Cons
supervisor was consescending
Alrightplace to work but was stressful at times
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB3 January 2017
Some of the managers and co-workers were nice but my Department Manager was not very nice to his employees sometimes and judged performance harshly. He saw what I could do when I'm hyper on Energy Drinks and assumed that was my normal speed and anything slower was me not trying which led to him getting mad at me a lot. All in all it's not a terrible place to work but be prepared todeal with easily upset managers or employees who are inexperienced getting better treatment.
Pros
Decent time stamps, nice co-workers
Cons
Managers too high strung sometimes, inexperience sometimes getting rewarded more then experience
Fast pace friendly environment.
Cashier/cash office clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 December 2016
Fast pace environment. Must be able to multitask and count corrects change to complete customers transactions. Friendly and easygoing attitude is a must. Must be able to work well with others as well as individually. Knowledge of the products whereabouts is a plus as customers will often ask for assistance in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Management is quite accommodating at scheduling hrs or availability.
Cons
Unionized, hourly pay does not increase to match the increasing minimum wage.
Joe's No Frills Produce Clerk Review
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Typical day:

I usually have to fill bananas when I first start, which is fine because it's my favourite thing to fill. Then throughout the day I'm filling things that need filling, sweeping the floor when it needs it, preparing certain things, like celery and romaine, which need to be trimmed.
Closer to the end of my shift, I start reducing all the produce that was pulled from the shelf.
After we close, I do my regular closing duties, such as facing the product, taking things that need to be kept cold to the cooler etc.

All my coworkers and managers are great. I get along with every single one of them.
Great place to get some experience
Pharmacy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora Ontario Canada8 December 2016
Management for the whole store wasn't very good.. The guy was a pervert and didn't care about what anyone thought unless it made him look good.. Now, the Pharmacy was good.. They taught me so much.. my experience there was good.. it makes you realize that it is a lot harder then it looks.
Pros
Hours were different from the store's.. No tobacco or alcohol was sold on the location
Cons
Manager was a pervert
My manager liked to pick on me.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON29 October 2016
My manager liked to pick on me because I was new. I didn't know everything about the store and still don't. My boss seems to think even if they don't tell me I should know everything about what is currently happening in store. I need an environment where my boss tells me everything I need to know to get the job done.
Pros
Sometimes there were snacks in the break room
Cons
Too much criticism and not enough "you're doing great"
On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
They do not follow the schedule that you provide them with and just give you any shifts.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 December 2016
A typical day at work, hear my boss complain the whole shift, snd yell. My co workers are fun, the hardest part of the job is my managers. The enjoyable part is that i get to put a smile on a customers face.
Pros
good hours
Cons
15 minute breaks
Not a good place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON15 November 2016
I wasn't getting any hours I got 3 days a week and then it went own from there. I thought i was doing fine, noon ever told me I wasn't then a few weeks later I got let go cause they said I wasn't understanding to something I was still on probation however so they didn't need a reason
Cons
Rude customers
Amazing management
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 January 2017
Variety of working environments. Most days go by very quickly because there is always something to do. Management is very friendly and understanding. Customers are generally very happy with the right attitude towards them.
Pros
Variety of learning skills
Cons
Customers can be grumpy
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 November 2016
no frills is a great place to work just not a lot of full time job,s but an excellent part time job. The people are nice and treat you with a lot of respect. Would recommend it as a good part time job. I learned how to manage my time approiateilly mad mulity task, keep up with the demand of goods
Productive, Fun and a Safe place to work on
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
It was a nice place to work on especially to all the person like me who just work for the first time. At first it's hard because you need to memorize all the codes especially when you're at the cash. Stressful, but at the end of the day, it's all worth it. Good salary, benefits and environment.
Pros
Get together parties during holidays
Cons
Long hours, stressful jobs
easy going and friendly work place
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 September 2016
this work place is relaxed and everyone outs in there equal effort to complete the tasks at hand. management is respectful and friendly. no frills works around your schedule and tries to make everyone's time fit in to the work schedule.
Pros
easy going work environment
Cons
some people don't put full effort in
Good Management
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 October 2016
At No Frills, everyday is pretty much the same day. You clock in and go straight to the the desk that you are designated. You scan every order purchased by customers and make sure none is left unpaid in the buggy. I got to memorize all the codes of produce and how to deal with difficult customers. The management are very particular with the time too so tardiness is not accepted. My co-workers became my friends that even though I don't work there anymore, we still hang out on our spare time. It's just really hard sometimes whenever they give me different time schedules because I work 2 jobs. sometimes I work 11pm-7am at timmies then I have to go work at No frills at 8am, but that only happens twice. Most of my schedule are afternoon. The most enjoyable part of my job there is seeing all the regular customers that are jolly especially the old people because they are really close to my heart.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not enough hours and unpredictable schedule.
Good Coworkers. Nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 September 2016
Not anything special, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it is not.
How to work together with others,
Co workers were nice, helpful and very friendly.
There was nothing too hard, it was okay.
When i would work or have a shift with someone i knew well. it would be a fun shift
Pros
None.
Cons
No such benefits
No Frills
Bookkeeper/Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NL28 July 2016
I absolutely love working at no frills because it is exactly like working within a family environment regardless of if you are related to someone or not. I learned pretty well a majority of my life skills here as I was able to do pretty well every job the store has to offer so far. The hardest part of my day is when I have workers that don't want to move forward with the rest of us and I have to have a chat with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see everyone else is happy and not miserable.
Pros
Smiles, Laughs, Easy to work around schedules, Staff lunches, etc.
Cons
lots of call-ins, some days are crazy some days are dead
Great for novel job experience
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON14 August 2016
Upon my arrival, No Frills was open to accepting a number of high school students looking for part-time cashier jobs and many young adults who already had gained experience in other grocery markets, not to mention admit both high school students and young adults IN BULK!
Pros
Break times, short shifts, flexible hours
Cons
No drinks other than water at front
great co workers
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 January 2017
a typical day at no frills would be serving the customers and making sure they get threw without any problems, providing a smile when putting groceries threw, when closing general cleaning of the lanes.
Pros
very flexible and understanding
Cons
over staffed
The staff is great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK11 October 2016
I like working there but I did the same job before in kindersley and received top wage but when I started here I got minimum wage but I am required to do the same thing as my front end supervisors
Pros
Great people
Cons
Getting paid the same as the new people but I have way more experience
Very fun and productive within the department
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 November 2016
When the Produce manager was in all ran smoothly, but the heads of other departments just did not see eye to eye with him. This made for good and bad days at work. Other than that the job in itself was pretty simple.

2.8