No Frills Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2018
Fun and productive environment to work. Nice employees and like minded individuals there. Not a lot of room to grow. Nothing else notable about the work environment or management
Pros
Long lunch
Your typical grocery store experience
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 January 2018
La Rosa's No Frills is an ideal example of a typical grocery store. It's obviously not perfect, mind you, but that does not take away from all the good it has to offer.
One thing you will learn in the grocery department is that there is no slack time, it is always a go-go-go situation. Typical days start with bakery and slowly shifts forward towards with the grocery stock. You will learn on a typical day that there will be some screw-ups on the warehouse end (and it isn't your fault no matter what management tells you). With that being said, not everyone has the best day and that is fine. What is not fine is people taking that frustration out on other employees.
One thing I noticed before I voluntarily left was that this store was noticeably becoming understaffed. This was a good and bad thing to happen at any grocery store. Good because people were given more hours; bad because if someone called in sick, the store was screwed: stock isn't worked, departments are sometimes left to fend for itself or forgotten, and closing shift coworkers mostly slacked off. This was probably the hardest part of the job (1), knowing you cannot change someone's habits to your standards of work; and (2), any new workers were hard to break into the habit. This was a typical complaint among management and coworkers, the fact that all the original workers left, and we were left with new ones to try and fit into our original standards. This also fed into another downside to being there for so long, everyone's expectations of you are increased because you are competent.
Workplace culture is
  more... your typical place. Very friendly coworkers and staff.
Customers are a 50/50 in terms of working with them. Most were well-behaved and did not bother you, a good bundle tended to be very rowdy. This is typical of any grocery store, however. If you haven't worked at a grocery store before, a couple things will stand out: (1), not a lot of customers can read no matter what you tell them; (2), customers, contrary to their belief, are hardly ever right; and (3), feel empathetic with cashiers because they usually get the brunt of all the criticism of this store.
What I learned from No Frills was valuable customer service skills, work ethic and knowing you can do it, and team building. Regardless of what I think in the middle of my review, this place is great to start out. My advice is to show up for your shift on time, and do your work properly. If they see you don't care, they will treat you the same.
Pros
Free food (sometimes), learning, work ethic, friendly staff.
Cons
Can be understaffed, long days, need some strength, warehouse screw-ups
Work Environment
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Islington, ON17 January 2018
Nofrills was a great job! It was fun, and the environment was always so pleasant. My favourite part was interacting with the customers, and organizing their groceries on the belt, ensuring them that their groceries are well taken care of.
Pros
It was a grocery store, so everything you really needed was there. Unionized
Cons
No benefits, unless full time.
Alright place to work while in school
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2018
It was a pretty average grocery store job. Management was fine. easy enough to book time off. Other staff were helpful with teaching what needs to be done. The teamwork is a great aspect of the job.
Pros
easy work
Cons
Boring, repetitive
was decent
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
i liked working here to be honest was laid back everyone who worked there was decent and fun to work with , the managers were nice and friendly. and gave benefits
Enjoyable place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corunna, ON14 January 2018
During my time at No Frills I have gained valuable knowledge and experience in many aspects of customer service and cashier principals. This franchise has been a decent employer to work for.
Pros
Friendly & enjoyable work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Na
Meat Department Manager (Current Employee) –  North York, ON14 January 2018
I am very over worked, extreamly underpaid, very disrespected by other employees and the owner, unappreciated by the owner, all the employees are disrespected by the owner but I love the customers
my work place
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  4040 Creditview Rd, Mississauga, ON L5C 3Y813 January 2018
to start off my shift at no frills i check back of store for grocery stock. Once i see the stock i would get a truck and unload the skid of product onto the truck and would neatly display on the proper shelves . After finishing that i would have a few customers ask about products i would aid them. After stock is done i would begin to face the store to make it look neat and organized for the next day. Once that is complete i clean the front and back of store then i am done my shift
Pros
free dinners once and a while
Cons
not any
Very comfortable place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON12 January 2018
No Frills was definitely a very happy and comfortable environment to work at. Coworkers and customers were very nice and appreciative. Our duties at work were appreciated and praised by our supervisors giving you a happy feeling at the end of the day
Okay
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC12 January 2018
The job was okay all i did really was fifo and wrap up meats in the freezer tho people were lazy and our pallets were all over the place met a few nice workmates aswell
Cons
Micro managing
nice for experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB11 January 2018
its an okay job if you want the experience and you can learn alot there. managers were okay and it gets busy so you get kept on your toes. lunch breaks were not bad.
good work environment
Stocking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2018
it was a very good job just didn't not get enough hours they were not the best at planning shifts and would cut hours alot and it took almost a year for them to get me a uniform
Pros
easy work
Cons
short shifts
no frills
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
its always busy so you'll never be bored, i do the basic of handling customers and keeping front end tidy, along with other stuff cash manager duties.
Productive Workplace, accommodating to students
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Essex, ON5 January 2018
A typical day at work was extremely busy, I was constantly running around. The fast paced retail environment taught me the importance of time management and customer service. The management took their position seriously and acted more like a mentor than a boss. the workplace culture was very friendly, we were like a big family at the store. The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself from getting overwhelmed on a busy day and making sure all necessary tasks still get done. The most enjoyable part of the job is the things I learned, I feel I learned skills at No Frills that I will use forever and I love to learn.
Pros
Time off requests almost always granted, very accommodating to students
Cons
Schedules were released on Fridays, giving only two days notice for the next week
I was there too long. With no room for advancement or change in wages in years
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 January 2018
I met a lot of wonderful people . But, like anywhere the politics got the in the way. I think it's a good stepping stone for students, not for everyone.
Pros
It was a learning experience
Cons
Heavy lifting - constant repetition
Management was poor
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
Management not friendly at all, would withhold money from some employees, forced us to work when we call in sick although we are not supposed to work around food when sick, did not give us the required minimum amount of breaks for hours worked, yelled at and berated employees in front of customers, swears at employees, "punishes" employees by putting employees on the lane right in front of the door during negative degree winter weather and does not allow us to wear jackets or sweaters and the list continues. Just the worst management ever on this earth.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB2 January 2018
Helping customers is a typical day. When it is not busy we clean. The management is very nice. All the staff is also nice and welcoming. Part time workers only get shifts less than 5 hours.
Pros
Good work/family life.
Cons
short shifts.
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 January 2018
It is a nice place to work. Nice staff. Polite owner. Comfortable job. Not very demanding. Properly scheduled breaks. The store was located in a nice surroundings so the customers were also very respectful of the employees.
Pros
Helping staff
Cons
Far from my place
There was constant change. Plenty of opportunity to learn.
Front-end/ Cash Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB31 December 2017
I greatly enjoyed being a part of the, Terashita's No Frills, management team. The environment was constantly changing, which gave ample opportunity for learning and growing. I was able to work closely with the owners, who were always there to help over see and challenges and conflicts, without micro managing. They put faith in their management team and valued them a great deal.
Pros
Benefits, regular schedule, team atmosphere
Great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2017
Great environment, great co-workers and the individuals that would shop at the business. They were flexiable with hours and work always work around school schedules.
Pros
Working with customers
Cons
Wanted more hours