No Frills Employee Reviews

Joe's No Frills Produce Clerk Review
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 November 2016
Typical day:

I usually have to fill bananas when I first start, which is fine because it's my favourite thing to fill. Then throughout the day I'm filling things that need filling, sweeping the floor when it needs it, preparing certain things, like celery and romaine, which need to be trimmed.
Closer to the end of my shift, I start reducing all the produce that was pulled from the shelf.
After we close, I do my regular closing duties, such as facing the product, taking things that need to be kept cold to the cooler etc.

All my coworkers and managers are great. I get along with every single one of them.
My manager liked to pick on me.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON29 October 2016
My manager liked to pick on me because I was new. I didn't know everything about the store and still don't. My boss seems to think even if they don't tell me I should know everything about what is currently happening in store. I need an environment where my boss tells me everything I need to know to get the job done.
Pros
Sometimes there were snacks in the break room
Cons
Too much criticism and not enough "you're doing great"
No Frills
Bookkeeper/Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NL28 July 2016
I absolutely love working at no frills because it is exactly like working within a family environment regardless of if you are related to someone or not. I learned pretty well a majority of my life skills here as I was able to do pretty well every job the store has to offer so far. The hardest part of my day is when I have workers that don't want to move forward with the rest of us and I have to have a chat with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see everyone else is happy and not miserable.
Pros
Smiles, Laughs, Easy to work around schedules, Staff lunches, etc.
Cons
lots of call-ins, some days are crazy some days are dead
Productive, Fun and a Safe place to work on
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2016
It was a nice place to work on especially to all the person like me who just work for the first time. At first it's hard because you need to memorize all the codes especially when you're at the cash. Stressful, but at the end of the day, it's all worth it. Good salary, benefits and environment.
Pros
Get together parties during holidays
Cons
Long hours, stressful jobs
Great for novel job experience
Part-Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON14 August 2016
Upon my arrival, No Frills was open to accepting a number of high school students looking for part-time cashier jobs and many young adults who already had gained experience in other grocery markets, not to mention admit both high school students and young adults IN BULK!
Pros
Break times, short shifts, flexible hours
Cons
No drinks other than water at front
On a busy day, I enjoy seeing my regular customer and cashing them through quickly with a smile.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2016
A typical day involves greeting and serving a wide variety of people and personalities, checking prices, accurate entry of products being purchased, making sure that I am knowledgeable about products and current sales. The job has taught me problem solving, handling difficult people, cooperation with co-workers, retail food business in general.
The management and culture at this particular store leans toward an offhanded manner that does not encourage a healthy work attitude or generate loyalty and communication with owner and supervisors is probably the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job is interacting with my regular customers and co-workers.
Pros
Interacting with regular customers, job satisfaction from being very fast on the cash register.
Cons
Irregular hours, difficult customers
easy going and friendly work place
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 September 2016
this work place is relaxed and everyone outs in there equal effort to complete the tasks at hand. management is respectful and friendly. no frills works around your schedule and tries to make everyone's time fit in to the work schedule.
Pros
easy going work environment
Cons
some people don't put full effort in
They do not follow the schedule that you provide them with and just give you any shifts.
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 December 2016
A typical day at work, hear my boss complain the whole shift, snd yell. My co workers are fun, the hardest part of the job is my managers. The enjoyable part is that i get to put a smile on a customers face.
Pros
good hours
Cons
15 minute breaks
Not a good place to work
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON15 November 2016
I wasn't getting any hours I got 3 days a week and then it went own from there. I thought i was doing fine, noon ever told me I wasn't then a few weeks later I got let go cause they said I wasn't understanding to something I was still on probation however so they didn't need a reason
Cons
Rude customers
Good Coworkers. Nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 September 2016
Not anything special, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it is not.
How to work together with others,
Co workers were nice, helpful and very friendly.
There was nothing too hard, it was okay.
When i would work or have a shift with someone i knew well. it would be a fun shift
Pros
None.
Cons
No such benefits
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 November 2016
no frills is a great place to work just not a lot of full time job,s but an excellent part time job. The people are nice and treat you with a lot of respect. Would recommend it as a good part time job. I learned how to manage my time approiateilly mad mulity task, keep up with the demand of goods
Good Management
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 October 2016
At No Frills, everyday is pretty much the same day. You clock in and go straight to the the desk that you are designated. You scan every order purchased by customers and make sure none is left unpaid in the buggy. I got to memorize all the codes of produce and how to deal with difficult customers. The management are very particular with the time too so tardiness is not accepted. My co-workers became my friends that even though I don't work there anymore, we still hang out on our spare time. It's just really hard sometimes whenever they give me different time schedules because I work 2 jobs. sometimes I work 11pm-7am at timmies then I have to go work at No frills at 8am, but that only happens twice. Most of my schedule are afternoon. The most enjoyable part of my job there is seeing all the regular customers that are jolly especially the old people because they are really close to my heart.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not enough hours and unpredictable schedule.
The staff is great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK11 October 2016
I like working there but I did the same job before in kindersley and received top wage but when I started here I got minimum wage but I am required to do the same thing as my front end supervisors
Pros
Great people
Cons
Getting paid the same as the new people but I have way more experience
Easy going
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 August 2016
Simple tasks; straight forward
Boosts communication skills
Safe and friendly environment
Management is very friendly and easy to get along with
Everyone is extremely accepting and friendly
Most enjoyable part is socializing with co-workers
Hardest part is closing on a busy day
Pros
Weekly rewards
Cons
No special benefits
Good first job.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON13 June 2016
No Frills provided a great place to learn basic work skills, such as time management, organization, and customer service. Because of the size of the store, there were not many openings for higher positions. The management was respectable and kind, but made sure that the work was done properly and in time. Because of the inconsistency of my schedule, it made life outside of work more difficult.

Overall, working at No Frills was a positive experience.
Pros
Good managers, choose when your breaks are
Cons
inconsistent scheduling
Depends on the boss
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
As a part time grocery clear you go through a lot of the same. But you will have a new manager working that day. Now, some of the managers are really nice and understand the hard work that actually goes into stocking and maintaining shelves, they'll crack jokes with you and not break your back for taking an extra two minutes on your break. But others will mercilessly bother you to work harder, faster, better, and stronger.
Mostly revolves around stocking shelves but the 7am shifts require you to check the bread and organize it, alone it takes 1:30 to 2:10 hrs. Then there's also doing the shopping cart corralling. Nothing to major. The coworkers are awesome and they made it a fun experience.
Pros
Great Owner and 2IC
Cons
Bad management
Fantastic work hours, very minimial pay
Manager On Duty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2016
I loved my manager, coworkers, and hours I was giving at this job. Unfortunately our owner was not willing to pay more than minimum wage when I worked here, and every 500 hours we received a 5 cent raise. I left to go serve because I needed more money per hour that I worked.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Pay
Productive, yet boring workplace.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges, ON20 November 2016
Work would be the same thing every shift, its either you stock, face, or push the carts back into their proper area. Very uninteresting and basic work. Not much you can learn while working here.
Cons
Uninteresting Work, Repetitive
No Frills Life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON15 June 2016
A typical day consists of you greeting and putting the customers items through the till, sometimes assisting with dusting or stocking the little candy counters by the tills. The co-workers are always there to help you in any way that they can. It is a very fun and positive place to work especially as a first job they are there to help you learn and succeed.
no frills was a great place to work as a student
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB12 October 2016
i enjoyed working at no frills, my co workers were fantastic and reliable. a typical day at work involved simple cashier tasks, cleaning and costumer service
Pros
loved my co workers
Cons
not enough hours

2.8