Nipissing University

Nipissing University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great experience, with lots of lessons to be learned
VP Social (Former Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 13, 2014
The most enjoyable part was working with my team, as well as when an event was a success. Hearing others talk about the event in a positive manor is heart warming and motivating.
Great workplace
ACCOUNTING LECTURER (Current Employee), North Bay, ONApril 16, 2014
A typical work day included a 3 hour lecture, office hours (meeting with students), evaluating assignments

One has to be:
- self motivated in order to be prepared for class and get work done in a timely manner,
- great at working and motivating others as it is necessary to help the students in their learning.

The most enjoyable part of my day was – more... office hours where I got a chance to know and help my students

The hardest part of my job was to see some of my students struggle however being able to discuss their challenges and help them through them during office hours was rewarding. – less
A Fun and Interactive Place to Work
Project Officer (Former Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 21, 2013
Nipissing University is a fun place to work that offered many opportunities to learn and grow
Opportunities for growth
Clerk, Centre (Former Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: undergraduate courses available for employees and family members
Cons: promotions
Busy work environment; multi-tasker, strong organizational skills and ability to adapt to change is necessary.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
Co-workers recognize strengths of others to bring to the team.
Opportunity to take undergraduate courses during regular work hours as long as you made up the time.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), North Bay, ONJuly 24, 2013
Pros: assisting students in learning.
Cons: limited office hours during the week.
A typical day at work would depend on the day of the week. A typical week would consist of reading the weekly reading, attending the lecture, and hosting office hours or schedule office hours for students who could not make it to regular hours.

I was able to improve my confidence in a slightly independent position. Despite the fact that the lecturing – more... Professor was the person in charge, I was still responsible for assisting students in class and during laboratory sessions. Therefore, I learned to be more confident in my abilities to assist others and even confirm my own confidence on the material covered in the course. – less
Fun workplace that understands how important an education is.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), North Bay, ONApril 18, 2013
Pros: very flexible hours
Cons: somewhat unorganized
A typical day at work: meet up with student(s) tutor mathematics for a span of 2-5 hours. After 5 hours in total have been spent tutoring, return time sheet to office and paid bi-weekly.

I learned that every student learns differently and that every student has potential, you just have to find something that interests them and helps them learn.

I – more... didn't know many of the co-workers as we only met up whenever there were meetings.

The hardest part of the job was preparing explanations in a number of different ways so that the student can understand each concept.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the student(s) be successful on their math tests, midterms, and exams. – less
Educational
Research Assistant (Current Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: valuable experience
Cons: minimum wage/restricted hours
I have learnt much about laboratory techniques working in the Plant Lab. at Nipissing University. These skills I have obtained here will be useful as a biologist.

Much was self learned through practice, which encouraged independence in the lab.
2 semesters in 2010- 2011 for Bridging students only
Clinical Instructor in Medical Surgical (Former Employee), worked in Toronto ONJune 15, 2012
Pros: free pens and i got a textbook
Cons: no job security
The Bridging students were the best part of the job, they were anxious and eager to learn. I got help and support from the directors and lead teachers whenever I needed it. We had frequent staff meetings where we discussed salient and pressing issues and actually solved problems. The pay was good and so were the working conditions. The hardest part – more... of the job was marking students' papers because I had to take home work. – less
N/A
NURSE LAB MONITOR (Former Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 14, 2013
Monitor students who are accessing skills lab
Familiar with resources that are provided by the lab
Assist and teach students who were seeking help with clinical skills
environment agreable