Nipissing University Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Learning Envrionment
Atheltic Attendant (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 11, 2016
Nipissing University is a great post secondary institution that allows for its students to learn and interact in a positive environment.
camp counselor
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 25, 2016
take care of kids
solve problems
plan out days
communicate with parents
build a good relationship co workers
good attendance
Pros
playing with kids
Cons
not enough days working
A flexible job designed for students with a great team
Team Leader / Student Caller (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 17, 2016
I truly enjoy coming in to work every shift, since every day I am calling and speaking to new people. Being a team leader on the Call Campaign composed of only students has taught me how to work with my peers and build rapport while at the same time being a leader.
Fun to work at
Gym front desk attendent (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONMarch 10, 2016
I really liked working here because it was a calm and friendly environment. I learned how to be productive on my own time and have fun working with all my co-workers. The best part of this job was that it was dealing with things that I knew really well. I have been very active my whole life and it is great to be surrounded by people who love to stay active.
Nipissing University - A great place to grow
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONNovember 10, 2015
Working at Nipissing University was a great place to grow as a person. The management is always giving you opportunities to learn.
It is too bad there is no job security.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
No job security
Treat Their Staff Like ****
Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 7, 2015
Horrible employer. Talk to anyone of the people they let go due to `cut backs`and have not rehired. They are posting contracts so they don`t have to pay you as much, provide benefits etc. Management is super corrupt. It is an old boys club and rather than showing concern for the University`s success they are concerned with building an ivory tower.
Employee be ware. You may feel like they like you, they will promise a re-hireé renewalé full-time. It is all a show.
Pros
Some of the staff are cool
Cons
Management, Old Boys Club, Long Hours, Little Gratitude, Contracts
Productive workplace with alumni calling team members
Alumni Caller Team Leader (Former Employee) –  North Bay, OntarioApril 20, 2015
At this workplace I had a team of callers calling alumni for donations to help support Nipissing University. I usually helped decided what list to call for alumni; helped with any information that alumni or callers needed; co-workers were friendly and attentively listened to what I had to say; hardest decision was when trying to react to a customers reaction when upset; most fun of the job was the interaction between co-workers and the amount of trust between each other.
Great team to work with, love it
Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONJanuary 22, 2015
As the Marketing and Advertisement Executive, I have had a great time on the Executive team with Nipissing University Student Ambassadors.
relaxing and productive workplace
Campus Walk (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONJanuary 6, 2015
This is a great student position allowing students to complete homework and allows time for studying. Everyone is great to work with and management is extremely friendly and accommodative to students who have a heavy work load.
Comfortable environment to work and great team to work with.
Volunteer, Food (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONNovember 21, 2014
It was fun, learnt how to work with people and in teams. Also learnt how to take instructions well.
Great experience, with lots of lessons to be learned
VP Social (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 13, 2014
The most enjoyable part was working with my team, as well as when an event was a success. Hearing others talk about the event in a positive manor is heart warming and motivating.
Great workplace
ACCOUNTING LECTURER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 16, 2014
A typical work day included a 3 hour lecture, office hours (meeting with students), evaluating assignments

One has to be:
- self motivated in order to be prepared for class and get work done in a timely manner,
- great at working and motivating others as it is necessary to help the students in their learning.

The most enjoyable part of my day was office hours where I got a chance to know and help my students

The hardest part of my job was to see some of my students struggle however being able to discuss their challenges and help them through them during office hours was rewarding.
A Fun and Interactive Place to Work
Project Officer (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 21, 2013
Nipissing University is a fun place to work that offered many opportunities to learn and grow
Opportunities for growth
Clerk, Centre (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONSeptember 4, 2013
Busy work environment; multi-tasker, strong organizational skills and ability to adapt to change is necessary.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
Co-workers recognize strengths of others to bring to the team.
Opportunity to take undergraduate courses during regular work hours as long as you made up the time.
Pros
undergraduate courses available for employees and family members
Cons
promotions
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJuly 24, 2013
A typical day at work would depend on the day of the week. A typical week would consist of reading the weekly reading, attending the lecture, and hosting office hours or schedule office hours for students who could not make it to regular hours.

I was able to improve my confidence in a slightly independent position. Despite the fact that the lecturing Professor was the person in charge, I was still responsible for assisting students in class and during laboratory sessions. Therefore, I learned to be more confident in my abilities to assist others and even confirm my own confidence on the material covered in the course.
Pros
assisting students in learning.
Cons
limited office hours during the week.
Fun workplace that understands how important an education is.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 18, 2013
A typical day at work: meet up with student(s) tutor mathematics for a span of 2-5 hours. After 5 hours in total have been spent tutoring, return time sheet to office and paid bi-weekly.

I learned that every student learns differently and that every student has potential, you just have to find something that interests them and helps them learn.

I didn't know many of the co-workers as we only met up whenever there were meetings.

The hardest part of the job was preparing explanations in a number of different ways so that the student can understand each concept.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the student(s) be successful on their math tests, midterms, and exams.
Pros
very flexible hours
Cons
somewhat unorganized
Educational
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 18, 2013
I have learnt much about laboratory techniques working in the Plant Lab. at Nipissing University. These skills I have obtained here will be useful as a biologist.

Much was self learned through practice, which encouraged independence in the lab.
Pros
valuable experience
Cons
minimum wage/restricted hours
2 semesters in 2010- 2011 for Bridging students only
Clinical Instructor in Medical Surgical (Former Employee) –  worked in Toronto ONJune 15, 2012
The Bridging students were the best part of the job, they were anxious and eager to learn. I got help and support from the directors and lead teachers whenever I needed it. We had frequent staff meetings where we discussed salient and pressing issues and actually solved problems. The pay was good and so were the working conditions. The hardest part of the job was marking students' papers because I had to take home work.
Pros
free pens and i got a textbook
Cons
no job security