Nielsen Employee Reviews

a typical day at work
Data Entry/Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 April 2017
Supervisor doesn't do any work and looking at facebook all day.
Managers blames on the staffs on their own mistake we always have to write down to prove that it was not us
Pros
nothing good
Cons
lazy managers and supervisor
Gain good experience
Store Observations Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 April 2017
The company culture has really changed over the years due to all downsizing and outsourcing, but it was a good place to learn the industry. Nielsen experience is highly valued.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No job security
Good Work at Home Job - Nit-Picking from Quality, is Unmotivating
Call Centre Work at Home Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Anonymous10 April 2017
It is a good work from home company. If you are good at it, you will get more work.. if not.. well.. you won`t.. Very routine work.. reading script from your computer screen.. It can get tiring after 8 hours, but, working at home has many benefits.

A lot of change in the past months with Nielsen, saw an exodus of really good employees - too bad. The new Team Leaders seemed to be making an effort - I liked them/got along with them.

Drawback is Quality Control. When you have an employee, most likely newer than you, telling you you did this, that and the other thing wrong.. you will receive FEEDBACK, and/or, a Demerit.. I wish Nielsen would understand how DEMOTIVATING that is, especially when you were a hardworking, careful, caring and loyal employee... It`s hard enough doing a survey.. and, to always have in the back of your mind... big brother is listening.. (watching your work, to ensure you `click` the correct answer..)..

It`s as if Quality WANT to catch you making a mistake.. so they can write you up (and.. maybe.. justify their existence..??).. I was a really careful, mindful interviewer, but, almost feeling hunted down by Quality, it finally got to me, and, I left.. it`s a stressful enough job, without that...
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
Quality Control, Long Hours, Long Surveys
I expected more.
Bilingual Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
The job had no benefits, was repetitive, and not very challenging. The management group seemed confused on how to manage the project and make it more efficient which resulted in work tasks, rules and quotas being changed constantly. This disorganization also resulted in my contract being terminated early as they decided to move the work out to Europe and Philippines. If it was better thought out in the beginning, could they not have thought about hiring agents in Europe and Philippines in the first place, which is cheaper and more convenient (time zone) rather than hiring agents in Canada and then realizing this 7 months into the contract? They inconvenienced a lot of people, including myself, who moved from outside of town to take the job. As an employee you are expendable, they do not care much about you, if they find a cheaper way for your job to get done, they will let you go without hesitation and will claim it was a "business decision". They are a cheap company.
Pros
Good team work environment.
Cons
No benefits, no job security, low salary.
Not worth it
Bilingual Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 February 2017
They see you as a number not as a person. One day they decide they dont need you anymore and kick you out without any empathy.
Started out good but now a big lack of hours
Remote Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
There were once a lot of hours, but projects aren't as plentiful as they once were. Nice to work from home. Communicating with supervisors is often easy. If the surveys are good quality and engaging, you will be busy with completes, if not, time will go by slowly, it can be very boring. Sometimes time between calls is too short, you don't get a moment to catch your breath. You will get angry people on the phone- that's part of the job. The pay is just above minimum wage- it's not competitive. You never get to meet the other interviewers, and they don't seem well trained as you can tell in the information they leave in callback information. There are large gaps of no work.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Bouts of no hours
Flexible workplace
Agente de recherche marketing (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 January 2017
Nielsen is an ideal place for a student job, allowing very flexible hours and the option to work from home although it does not provide a dynamic workplace nor the challenges one would need to stay interested in the job on a long term basis.
convenient and fun
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
allows you to work from home and to choose your own days and hours for work, pay and benefits are good for an at home position
Pros
work from home
Cons
inconsistent work
easy work; unbelievably long winded surveys
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from Home18 May 2016
It's easy work but the amount of reading in surveys lasting 30-45 minutes. Some are shorter but from my own experience, the majority of the surveys are very long. My first impression of Nielsen was great because of the work from home component; they pay you as agreed and offer benefits. When the honeymoon phase is over, it becomes so mundane and boring that I would prefer to work part time elsewhere.
Pros
It's easy work, $ / h is not bad and working at home is awesome. Great for anyone working 2 jobs.
Cons
Surveys with so much text to read and you have to read it verbatim, Supervisors seem to be young and inexperienced.
Easy but extremely repetitive work
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC17 May 2016
The job is simple, you just read what is written on a computer screen in front of you, however is somewhat mind numbing and the incentives bonuses do not seem to follow the most beneficial or logical system.
Easy environment to work in for a stable position. They fire you based on a merit system so there is rarely anything unexpected in terms of job security.
Pros
Take your breaks whenever you want
Cons
You stare at a screen reading the same thing over and over all day
Productive workplace with excellent management and teaches important soft-skills
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 April 2016
This job has taught and allowed me to practice important soft-skills such as professionalism and politeness when speaking and dealing to anyone over the phone while I'm representing our company. It has taught me patience and how to be flexible in dealing with a variety of situations and people over the phone and to understand their individual situations so as to achieve our goal while leaving the respondent feeling comfortable and happy to participate. There is also a lot to be learned from the variety of surveys conducted as each one can be on different and interesting topics. The management is very understanding of an employee's needs, being both lenient in certain situations but strict enough, especially if it affects the quality of the survey. They are also very motivating, engaging and friendly when answering questions or concerns an employee may have.
productive workplace
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 February 2016
a typical day at work would be coming in at the time my shift starts and getting assigned to a seat as well as a project and any other details or instructions about it.

I learned how to deal with people, how to work with people and how to deal with angry people who picked up the phone.
my co- workers were mostly people around my age going to school so it was nice being around a cool and collected environment. the hardest part of my job was the long hours and how they would usually try to make you work another hour. the other hard thing was dealing with angry people. Although, i did enjoy working there since it was in downtown and near where i live. i had friends who i talked too as well. it was fun because my co workers would turn the projects into games or competition
Pros
breaks were good
New management
Survey Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2015
If you're looking for work at home this job is the best job to have. It used to be a fast and convenient way to make money by sitting at home on the phone.

Personally I have worked for this company over the past four years and recently my experience with management made me leave. They're taking nit picking way too far on the morning shifts. Although being on the morning shifts means you have to be more professional it doesn't mean you have to be perfect.

I recently recommended a family member for this position and although he had top five productivity they fired him because of nit picking. This used to be a great job to make extra cash but now I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
work at home
Cons
bad management
An opportunistic company for individuals who are willing to make the commitment, take risk and failure to excel and succeed.
Vice President - National Field Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 June 2015
. There has never been a typical day at Nielsen, as VP of Operations which was the later part of my career I would review the status of the overnight ratings provide to the TV Networks, Agencies and Advertisers to ensure that the quality of the data met their standards. All anomalies where investigated. Managed staff, budgets, client and internal operational meetings.

. Given empowerment and the willingness to fail your way to success you can grow the business, but more importantly yourself.

. Management has been great and was always there to help those that wanted to help themselves.

. Over the years I have bonded with several co-workers and still remain in contact with them. The way I look at things is that I can always get along with anyone whether we agree to agree or disagree.

. The evolution in technology was for every changing and as part of my responsibility we had to monitor the viewing habits of all people and the technology they use to view television on.

. What I enjoyed was knowing that you were given a sample of the population the opportunity to provide them with the empowerment to tell the industry what was important and relevant to the TV viewing of Canadians.
Pros
Technology, Opportunity, Company
Cons
Technology
Amazing working experience
From Data Specialist to Sr. Market Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2015
Fast paced environment but with excellent balance.
Lots of room for advancement, they encourage you to get trained to advance in your career.
Great management trust, multiple opportunities for experience.
Pros
Salary and commadery
Starter Company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 May 2015
Great people, but poor management. Ability to work from home at times. Great way to learn about various companies.
Good place to learn if coming out of school.
Good company to work for, would like to go back again
Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 April 2015
Good company to work for, would like to go back again
- great learning
- great people
- most clients are CPG & retail
- good contacts
- great exposure
low paying, low motivation, little advancement opportuinites
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 April 2015
If you only speak English in Montréal or you need a job fast this is for you. Don't stay too long though, you will never earn a lot of money and they really don't care about you as an employee.
Pros
set own schedule
Cons
company is very un-willing to pay you for a job well done.
Top notch engineering company
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary1 April 2015
Good place to work, fun crew. Great variety of work. Got paid promptly. Competitive wages. Good clients. Good management. Everything that you need to do the job is available. Had a great Christmas party!!
Pros
Excellent knowledgeable management, great location
Cons
parking is expensive
very pleasant place of work
Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Montreal21 October 2014
the hours are flexible, the staff understanding and helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nielsen. Our community is ready to answer.