Nielsen Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun workplace with Telemarketing
Interviewer/Telephone Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2017
A typical day at work would be productive and meet the needs of the required task. What I have learned from job is communication is key and paramount in assisting customers. The workplace culture is team oriented and working together I have learned makes the job easier but, the hardest part of the job is when there is some disagreement in the group. When there is disagreement in the group we learn how to come to a resolve by addressing our differences and coming to a safe resolve. The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with people and seeing how appreciate they are after we assist them.
Pros
Dental Bennifits
Cons
Short breaks
Very exciting and challenging work enviroment
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 June 2017
Very exciting and challenging work environment
Room for advancement
Great employment compensation - fair annual increase and performance compensation
Challenging and encouraging work enviroment
A workplace with best people making it your second home!
Senior Research Executive - RMS (Former Employee) –  PAKISTAN26 May 2017
The most exciting part of the job was varying and challenging client queries and striving towards improving Nielsen's products to help clients achieve their sales & marketing targets

Learned National Census process, hands on with online Census software
Great working environment
Bilingual Help Desk Representative - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 May 2017
Co-workers are friendly. The call volume is lower but there is also outbound calling as part of your job. The manager is very close with the coworkers but can be blunt at times. You can have many rude people on the phone. There's a lot of company activities that go on.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No advancement
a typical day at work
Data Entry/Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 April 2017
Supervisor doesn't do any work and looking at facebook all day.
Managers blames on the staffs on their own mistake we always have to write down to prove that it was not us
Pros
nothing good
Cons
lazy managers and supervisor
Gain good experience
Store Observations Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 April 2017
The company culture has really changed over the years due to all downsizing and outsourcing, but it was a good place to learn the industry. Nielsen experience is highly valued.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No job security
Good Work at Home Job - Nit-Picking from Quality, is Unmotivating
Call Centre Work at Home Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Anonymous10 April 2017
It is a good work from home company. If you are good at it, you will get more work.. if not.. well.. you won`t.. Very routine work.. reading script from your computer screen.. It can get tiring after 8 hours, but, working at home has many benefits.

A lot of change in the past months with Nielsen, saw an exodus of really good employees - too bad. The new Team Leaders seemed to be making an effort - I liked them/got along with them.

Drawback is Quality Control. When you have an employee, most likely newer than you, telling you you did this, that and the other thing wrong.. you will receive FEEDBACK, and/or, a Demerit.. I wish Nielsen would understand how DEMOTIVATING that is, especially when you were a hardworking, careful, caring and loyal employee... It`s hard enough doing a survey.. and, to always have in the back of your mind... big brother is listening.. (watching your work, to ensure you `click` the correct answer..)..

It`s as if Quality WANT to catch you making a mistake.. so they can write you up (and.. maybe.. justify their existence..??).. I was a really careful, mindful interviewer, but, almost feeling hunted down by Quality, it finally got to me, and, I left.. it`s a stressful enough job, without that...
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
Quality Control, Long Hours, Long Surveys
Client Service Executive (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON5 April 2017
I really enjoy working at Nielsen. The people and environment are great. You will learn a lot at this company. The salary and benefits are very competitive.
nice benefit and perks
Data Specialist, Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON27 February 2017
good for young grads
so so for those who stayed too much time
no free coffee
okay restaurant
not too much overtime
cutting cost
I expected more.
Bilingual Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
The job had no benefits, was repetitive, and not very challenging. The management group seemed confused on how to manage the project and make it more efficient which resulted in work tasks, rules and quotas being changed constantly. This disorganization also resulted in my contract being terminated early as they decided to move the work out to Europe and Philippines. If it was better thought out in the beginning, could they not have thought about hiring agents in Europe and Philippines in the first place, which is cheaper and more convenient (time zone) rather than hiring agents in Canada and then realizing this 7 months into the contract? They inconvenienced a lot of people, including myself, who moved from outside of town to take the job. As an employee you are expendable, they do not care much about you, if they find a cheaper way for your job to get done, they will let you go without hesitation and will claim it was a "business decision". They are a cheap company.
Pros
Good team work environment.
Cons
No benefits, no job security, low salary.
Not worth it
Bilingual Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 February 2017
They see you as a number not as a person. One day they decide they dont need you anymore and kick you out without any empathy.
Started out good but now a big lack of hours
Remote Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
There were once a lot of hours, but projects aren't as plentiful as they once were. Nice to work from home. Communicating with supervisors is often easy. If the surveys are good quality and engaging, you will be busy with completes, if not, time will go by slowly, it can be very boring. Sometimes time between calls is too short, you don't get a moment to catch your breath. You will get angry people on the phone- that's part of the job. The pay is just above minimum wage- it's not competitive. You never get to meet the other interviewers, and they don't seem well trained as you can tell in the information they leave in callback information. There are large gaps of no work.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Bouts of no hours
Flexible workplace
Agente de recherche marketing (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 January 2017
Nielsen is an ideal place for a student job, allowing very flexible hours and the option to work from home although it does not provide a dynamic workplace nor the challenges one would need to stay interested in the job on a long term basis.
Amazing experience!!
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 September 2016
I had an amazing time working for Nielsen Canada and would like to point out some examples of the reasons why:

1. Got a lot of independence while working as a Product Owner for a pure IT agile project.

2. Had real fun events such as BBQ Day, Nielsen Cares and Tech-Ops meet where we were made to mingle with cross-functional teams.

3. Great team to work with. Really supportive of things we wanted to achieve.
convenient and fun
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
allows you to work from home and to choose your own days and hours for work, pay and benefits are good for an at home position
Pros
work from home
Cons
inconsistent work
Position in a large company where I can use my technical skills
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto7 August 2016
Worked for one of the largest oil companies in the IT department. Was the main contact for any technical requirement. Experience with a full life cycle of a project, Enjoyed working with all the different aspects of technology.

Great co workers from whom I learned networking and database principles.

To close requests within a time frame especially where it was dependent on external factors.
easy work; unbelievably long winded surveys
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from Home18 May 2016
It's easy work but the amount of reading in surveys lasting 30-45 minutes. Some are shorter but from my own experience, the majority of the surveys are very long. My first impression of Nielsen was great because of the work from home component; they pay you as agreed and offer benefits. When the honeymoon phase is over, it becomes so mundane and boring that I would prefer to work part time elsewhere.
Pros
It's easy work, $ / h is not bad and working at home is awesome. Great for anyone working 2 jobs.
Cons
Surveys with so much text to read and you have to read it verbatim, Supervisors seem to be young and inexperienced.
Easy but extremely repetitive work
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC17 May 2016
The job is simple, you just read what is written on a computer screen in front of you, however is somewhat mind numbing and the incentives bonuses do not seem to follow the most beneficial or logical system.
Easy environment to work in for a stable position. They fire you based on a merit system so there is rarely anything unexpected in terms of job security.
Pros
Take your breaks whenever you want
Cons
You stare at a screen reading the same thing over and over all day
Productive workplace with excellent management and teaches important soft-skills
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 April 2016
This job has taught and allowed me to practice important soft-skills such as professionalism and politeness when speaking and dealing to anyone over the phone while I'm representing our company. It has taught me patience and how to be flexible in dealing with a variety of situations and people over the phone and to understand their individual situations so as to achieve our goal while leaving the respondent feeling comfortable and happy to participate. There is also a lot to be learned from the variety of surveys conducted as each one can be on different and interesting topics. The management is very understanding of an employee's needs, being both lenient in certain situations but strict enough, especially if it affects the quality of the survey. They are also very motivating, engaging and friendly when answering questions or concerns an employee may have.
Demanging and challenging workplace, but worth of a try
Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Poland16 April 2016
Nielsen is a perfect workplace to build a self confidence. If you are not self confident you will be simply doing every single project 3 times longer.
Pros
self development
Cons
salary, no equality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nielsen. Our community is ready to answer.