NIAGARA COLLEGE Employee Reviews in Canada

free lunches
good medical benefits
great management team
great learning opportunities
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not a good place for teaching!
Professor : Culinary Innovation & Food Technolog (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONMarch 1, 2016
Very bad work culture! the Food and Wine Institute was definitely not an academic environment. It was more of cooperation. program char of that time was pressuring to influence the students marks and pass or fails instead of encouraging better supports.
not a right fit
User Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Welland CampusFebruary 10, 2016
After working in the private sector for 30 years, going to the educational sector was a culture shock. The fit wasn't right for me so I took a early retirement.
Pros
good hours. lots of vacation time
Cons
difficult to get motivated.
Learned a ton
ITS Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 4, 2016
My program at Niagara was one of the hardest Niagara offers. I learned about the in and outs of networks and the future of electronics. Can't wait to apply these skills
The work environment is good
International Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONOctober 13, 2013
Answering emails from Agents, parents and students overseas,
Making phone calls to communicate for problems and coordinate with internal procedures.
Setup meeting with visiting university groups
Planing education fair attendance for my assistant in China and review his reports
Planning my own trips to China, Vietnam, Hong Kong etc.
Update our marketing material.
Student problem solving.
Coordinate with other department for partnership setting up and credits transferring.

Good job for long term to raise a family .
Pros
manage your own time
Cons
pay is so so.
Challenging and Educational
Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  WellandOctober 1, 2015
The data management, extensive details, and teamwork that Niagara College's Foundation Department does on a regular basis is a remarkable standard that I believe all events and companies should follow. From data collection, event day execution, teardown, and post event debrief, they truly set the bar of excellence in all avenues.
great experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONOctober 29, 2015
excellent experience at the college. learnt a lot from the college, loved studying there. made lots of friends and gained much knowledge there . studied there 2 years and it benefited a lot. cooperative and intelligent teachers, helped in every difficulty.
Pros
teaching place
Cons
burden of assignments
Nice internship
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-LakeMay 7, 2014
Niagara College provided me with a great internship where I could apply some environmental knowledge towards implementing a green curriculum to one of their academic programs. With the project team we went to do some on-site inspections as well as interviewing the staff in charge. It was a brewery program where the college produced their own beer.
Pros
free samples of beer.
Cons
no salary
Fitness Facility
Fitness Facility Employee (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 12, 2015
Arriving to Niagara College Fitness Center was a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I learned to supervise individuals, attend to safety hazards, conduct facility tours while answering students Fitness and Health questions. Management was always easy to work with and flexible when requested. Working alone was a common occurrence however all the individuals employed at the Fitness Facility were responsible and helpful. The hardest part of the job was ensuring no injuries occurred during shift, this required constant monitoring and spotting individuals performing exercises which can be risky. I enjoyed everything about this job, it was a wonderful place to work.
Great place to work, with great people
Athletic Centre Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONOctober 13, 2015
Working with Niagara college was one of the most enjoyable jobs i have had. Would love to work there again. I learned a lot about about fitness and healthy living
Great environment helping Student-Athletes perform in sport and school
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONApril 3, 2015
Going to practice, to develop athletes
having training sessions with individuals to improve specific needs
watching a lot of game film to understand what needs to be addressed at practice
Lots of hours outside of practice to help develop the team to have a winning culture
Ensure all students are performing correctly academically
working with a great staff and a great head coach
the office personal are very supportive
toughest part of the job would be time managing all of the different things needing to be done in short time periods
best part is having a second family among the varsity team
Great place to learn
Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJuly 16, 2015
I have nothing bad to say about Niagara College. The people who helped me broaden my knowledge of the broadcast industry are great role models and people who I want to model my life after.
Offers a well rounded program regarding to the electrical field
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJune 27, 2015
The program touches upon many subjects within the electrical field such as: AC/DC fundamentals, power systems, digital systems, PLC`s, motors and motor drives controls, and electronics.
Water assessment: E.coli
Field and Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONApril 29, 2014
A typical day at work was the E. coli lab using both the IDEXX and Membrane Filtering methods. While the IDEXX method was a piece of cake, the membrane filtering was a time consuming method. That day i discovered and learned about the IDEXX method.
The management task was related to my Gantt chart established to accomplish my project, and I worked very hard to meet the deadline.
My partner was collaborative and I was impressed by his devotion and he sens of accuracy while performing lab practices.
The hardest part of the job was related to severe weather conditions while we were performing water sampling. It was very cool and windy. The shore was icy and slippery, and our hands were frozen.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the excellent output, including results and report.
Grounds Maintenance
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-lake, ONDecember 25, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Niagara College as a Grounds Maintenance Staff for it was fun, and enjoyable - very hands on and I had also learned a LOT from my instructors/supervisors. We did everything from planting beds, to mowing the lawn, and doing other various things around the campus to keep the property tidy, and presentable.

I would say that the hardest part of the job was having to work around the students who were walking/driving to and from the college while we staff members were trying to keep the campus grounds clean of debris, etc. but overall, I enjoyed working at Niagara College, and I was sad to have to leave once the school year was over.
Excellant work expeience by working in International department of Niagara college, Canada
International Department Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niagara falls, ONJuly 24, 2013
I worked part time i the office as a student assistant , also cover the front desk.
I learned everyday something new, which enhanced my knowledge and my working skills.
My co workers were really good and co operative. All enjoyed working together as a team.
The hardest part of my job is to answer the questions asked by students. sometimes it is really difficult for students of different culture and country; to make them understand the whole thing.
I enjoyed every bit of time which I spent in the department with my co workers. It was memorable experience in my life.
Pros
i got good exposure to canadian working style and learned so many things.
A pleasure working with students, unfair & unlawful treatment of part time employees
Dental Receptionist/Dental Technician (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONSeptember 11, 2012
A typical day at work included scheduling and confirming appointments, managing multiple phone lines, supplying detailed information to clients, billing, accepting payments, balancing day's end, charting, filing, all while training dental students on all of the above. I learned to prioritize in order to complete all tasks within insufficient part time hours, I also learned that most students were unhappy with most faculty and management and were over stressed because of it. There were a few co-workers that made the job enjoyable, but most were busy trying to belittle the part timers or each other. The hardest part of the job was that management had little or no experience in the dental field and were influenced by gossiping secretarial staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know many wonderful students and dental clients.
Pros
being closed on school holidays
Cons
poor management and biased human resource dept.
Fast paced schedule with excellent clinical experience
Level I and II Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJune 9, 2014
The schedule I was given at Niagara College during my DA level I and II training was very busy and fast paced. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to do a two week DA level II placement at an office in Tillsonburg, Ontario. The hardest part was maintaining high grades in all courses and the most enjoyable part was just doing what I love and preparing for my career in the dental field.
Pros
excellent professors
Cons
busy schedule
Great work enviroment and good teamwork
International Student Advisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONOctober 12, 2012
The week was divided by two parts, the first one assisting international students with immigration issues and give them support with personal problems (Adapting to Canadian life, learn how the college in Canada works, interact with Canadians, etc.). The second part was working in projects, such as creating the new recruitment and selection process, updating the training for different positions, etc.
In this job I learned how to work in a Canadian environment, how Canadians work and their practices, this was a great learning for me, because I want to continue my professional career in Canada and it was very important to learn their ways in a work place.
The management was very helpful and supportive, they taught me everything in the department and they supported me with everything. In a short period of time they trusted and handed specific projects to me.
My co-workers where great, it was a good team environment inside and outside of the office. They helped me every time I had a problem with something and the assisted me with the projects I was responsible for.
The hardest part was the beginning, getting used to how is work in this country, gaining the trust of my co-workers and the management. Also learning everything there is to know about the job as fast as possible so I can start giving results.
Pros
clear goals, good tools to perform your duties, great support
Cons
unorganized, lack of communication between the staff and the management
Nice Place to work
Software Developer - Research Associate (Current Employee) –  300 Woodlawn Road, Welland, ON L3C 7L3February 24, 2013
About Job: Its fix term contract job, I have 8 and half month for single project.

About Project: Vector Search Engine

What I learn: JQueryUI, Web Services, JSON, debugging using firebug and Chrome Developer; and many more. Specially how to manage Project Life Cycle when requirements change very frequently

hardest part of the job: Requirement and complexity increase in every biweekly meeting but Time and resources are fix

The most enjoyable part of the job: Our team win Microsoft Award at MEIC challenge in Toronto (at Corus)
Pros
workplace inside college

4.2