Nexen

Nexen Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nexen' first real Turnaround - Wow!!
Scope Change and Found Work Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 22, 2014
Pros: advancment
Cons: long hours
My two year experience proved to be one I will never forget. Being the newbie I was quickly acknowledged as one of them. Everyone seemed to require of me the things that I do best and come naturally: Building apps and reporting to all levels of management.

I was quickly bumped to Senior EA and managed a small team of administrators, assisted with managing – more... CWP' and made lots of awesome relations that are still awesome!! – less
Management is brutal, totally out of touch
Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: compressed work schedule, education incentives program
Cons: terrible management, poor assessment skills, terrible succession planning, poor ethics among management, poor operations management, micromanagement
My peers were great to work with, and we functioned very well together until management came in and wanted to make changes for the sake of making changes. We ended up taking several extra days to complete the same work we would normally have done in several hours.
I was in the CMA program with the company, and was never given time to write exams even – more... though I was promised to be able to take a full day off to write. When I asked for less overtime so that I could study in the evenings, I was told that I shouldn't have to work overtime if I was doing my job properly. Though the company did pay for my CMA expenses, it was extremely stressful to have to complete the program and work overtime for the company without exam days.
We were on a compressed work week schedule, and were not allowed to take time off of work for appointments. We were told by management to schedule any appointments on our weekends or assigned days off-this is understandable but can be difficult to schedule appointments only on Fridays or the weekend.
When I applied for other jobs within the company and spoke to management about it, they discouraged me from applying and told me that I was not supposed to use my current job as a "spring board" to other positions within the company, even though I'd been in my current position for several years.
May have been just my department (finance), but it was terrible to work for this company. I'd never go back or recommend anyone work there; especially with the uncertainty with CNOOC laying off so many employees. – less
Great experience, very poor management
Document Controller (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 6, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: poor management, lack of support and training and long commute
Management was poor, no structure, no support from management team. My co-workers were okay, I've worked with better. The hardest part of the job was the lack of support and training I need to excel in the position. The most enjoyable was the end of the day.
AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Field Technician IT Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
this job was great. everyone was helpful honest and appreciative. I would definatley be there again if possible