Nexen Energy Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Labourer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2016
No job security You can make good money in a short amount of time. On and off loaded trucks with casing and drill pipe for the rigs.
worked 12 hour shifts.
Nexen
Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
Was once a great place to work. Great salary, good benefits, nice office surroundings, plenty of opportunities for advancement, great work atmosphere. Then along came CNOOC. After less than one year of taking over layoffs started. Good people let go and some questionable people stayed on. Benefits were cut. Chinese management installed. More layoffs. Moral declined dramatically. Those who were let go were the lucky ones.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
Low moral.
Excellent Company
Computer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2016
Well managed with good focus on the future. This opportunity provided new challenges with the best technology available.
Great work place, very engaging and team-oriented environment
Master Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 September 2015
Nexen is a great company to work for. The culture is very positive, people are very co-operative and ready to help out. A typical day at Nexen is between 10-12 Hours. I have the pleasure of working with highly talented and motivated individuals who want to take this company to the next level. The management is excellent; open-door policy and very approachable. My co-workers have a positive work ethic and continuously strive to improve the business unit.
Generally a better than average place to work.
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 February 2015
Generally good opportunity to learn a variety of equipment and processes.
Largely dependent on the team you end up working with, however. There are some very knowledgeable people at Syncrude who are willing to share experience and knowledge with new personnel. Not everyone on every team shares that philosophy unfortunately.
Pros
knowledgeable people, good shift supervisors
Cons
lack of maintenance
Great Work Environment
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 February 2015
Nexen offered a great work environment that made you feel you were a part of a family. That atmosphere was felt at work and off-site.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Majority of Work outside
Productive Place to launch your career
Process Automation Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Alberta14 January 2015
Productive place with on the job training and mentorship to help in the career development.
Pros
work ethics, safety practice
Cons
job security
Recommended
Senior C# .NET Consulant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2015
Overall great place to work!
Great environment and you will get a chance to work with great people as-well!
Nexen' first real Turnaround - Wow!!
Scope Change and Found Work Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 October 2014
My two year experience proved to be one I will never forget. Being the newbie I was quickly acknowledged as one of them. Everyone seemed to require of me the things that I do best and come naturally: Building apps and reporting to all levels of management.

I was quickly bumped to Senior EA and managed a small team of administrators, assisted with managing CWP' and made lots of awesome relations that are still awesome!!
Pros
Advancment
Cons
Long Hours
Management is brutal, totally out of touch
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta16 September 2014
My peers were great to work with, and we functioned very well together until management came in and wanted to make changes for the sake of making changes. We ended up taking several extra days to complete the same work we would normally have done in several hours.
I was in the CMA program with the company, and was never given time to write exams even though I was promised to be able to take a full day off to write. When I asked for less overtime so that I could study in the evenings, I was told that I shouldn't have to work overtime if I was doing my job properly. Though the company did pay for my CMA expenses, it was extremely stressful to have to complete the program and work overtime for the company without exam days.
We were on a compressed work week schedule, and were not allowed to take time off of work for appointments. We were told by management to schedule any appointments on our weekends or assigned days off-this is understandable but can be difficult to schedule appointments only on Fridays or the weekend.
When I applied for other jobs within the company and spoke to management about it, they discouraged me from applying and told me that I was not supposed to use my current job as a "spring board" to other positions within the company, even though I'd been in my current position for several years.
May have been just my department (finance), but it was terrible to work for this company. I'd never go back or recommend anyone work there; especially with the uncertainty with CNOOC laying off so many employees.
Pros
Compressed work schedule, education incentives program
Cons
terrible management, poor assessment skills, terrible succession planning, poor ethics among management, poor operations management, micromanagement
Great experience, very poor management
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 March 2014
Management was poor, no structure, no support from management team. My co-workers were okay, I've worked with better. The hardest part of the job was the lack of support and training I need to excel in the position. The most enjoyable was the end of the day.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Poor management, lack of support and training and long commute
AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Field Technician IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2013
this job was great. everyone was helpful honest and appreciative. I would definatley be there again if possible
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing