Generally, the Prep Cook / Culinary Assistant position at the Calphalon Culinary Center completes all food preparation, classroom set-up & break-down for classes/events, as well as provides assistance to the Chef Instructor during classes/events. This position reports to the Chef de Partie.
Duties and Responsibilities:
I. Class/Event Preparation:
- Complete mise en place for assigned classes, utilizing food inventory and cookware to their fullest potential.
- Collaborate with the Chef Instructor, to determine the required food preparation, as well as the most effective class flow/organization, beforehand, to ensure all ingredients and equipment are in place before class.
- Work efficiently with a wide array of kitchen equipment.
- Help receive and unload food deliveries.
- Complete rotating schedule of assigned side work.
- Earn and maintain sanitation certification for food service manager and ensure all daily operations follow sanitation guidelines, including food preparation, personal appearance, food storage, etc.
II. Class/Event Assistance:
- Assist Chef Instructor in the implementation of assigned classes/events, including: recipe packets, verbal instruction, TV monitors, beverage cart, running of food to/from prep kitchen, clean-up and restocking classrooms.
- Anticipate Chef Instructor's needs and ensure he/she has everything needed to run an engaging, informative and safe class.
- Help and encourage students; ensure they are following the Chef Instructor's directions and explanation of cooking skills.
- Assist in the preparation or implementation of special events (e.g. cocktail parties, charitable events, banquets, cultural, corporate meetings, private sales, etc.) as asked/scheduled.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of classes given by guest chefs, authors, and other experts, per instruction.
III. Brand Ambassador:
- To be consistent with the Calphalon brand, promote and maintain a professional, high-quality work environment that remains positive, benefits from teamwork and open communication, and demonstrates a passion for food, cooking, teaching/learning and Calphalon cookware.
- Build a working knowledge of the cookware (e.g. names/uses/care of different cooking surfaces, etc.) and share product insights during class.
- Assist staff with all closing duties to ensure the CCC is closed-up and secured properly each evening.
IV. Class/Event Break-down and Clean-up:
- After classes/events, collaborate with Utility Clerk to get all cookware, dishes, cutting boards, etc. into the dishwashing area.
- Ensure all dirty linens are collected and properly stored for service pick-up.
- Collaborate with the Utility Clerk to ensure all cookware is maintained and stored in excellent condition to ensure it shows well when used in class by students.
- When appropriate, re-set classroom for next class/event.
Knowledge and Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent work experience
- Ideally, at least 2 years culinary work/school experience
- Comfort and confidence with kitchen environment and culinary staff
- Consistent, on-time attendance
- Positive and professional manner/appearance
- Good problem-solving skills to identify, define and resolve routine questions, problems
Indeed - 12 months ago