Newalta Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A great place to learn about processes.
Oil Battery Operator (Former Employee), Baldonnel, BCMarch 6, 2016
Pros: The opportunity to learn every operation and piece of equipment
Cons: The managment does not have time to participate in plant events. Teambuilding.
At Newalta, I was exposed to every part of the processes and was involved in every process. I do not regret working there.
Great workplace, Great People, Good Leadership
Invoicing Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2016
Pros: Challenging, Rewards, Good Team, Excellent Training, Pay & Benefits were great
I enjoyed my 7.4 years at Newalta. I started in document control where I had to verify all incoming oilfield truck tickets for accuracy and then attach them into SAP for our invoicing team. The high volumes & attention to detail made me develop time management skills, internal / external customer service & important organizational skills.

My last 4 years at Newalta I was part of the invoicing team, I expanded my skills here and developed more internal / external communication, way more exposure to SAP which we used to correct invoices, enter data, update account information & roll out our invoice optimization program. I also worked alongside AR to make sure our monthly targets were being hit and any discrepancies on invoices were fixed.

This role also had me training new staff, keeping track of our KPI's, Task documentation and general administrative work.
Productive, Agile, Well Balanced Workplace.
Invoicing Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: great management, nice office, free gym, lounge, compensation was great
Cons: other than the lay offs, there wasn't really any cons.
Newalta was a great place to work. It was fast paced, interactive and always had you learning something new. Management was supportive and tried to make the work load as manageable as possible. I worked on a team of 8 and everyone did their part to meet month end financial goals in the invoicing department. The office was great too, it had a lounge, a gym and a large conference centre for employee functions and meetings.
Fast paced, ever-changing workplace.
HR (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2015
Pros: great corporate facility, lounge, gym, benefits, salary
Cons: leadership doesn't care about people, only the bottom line, you only hear about what you haven't done, not what you have accomplished
- no day is the same
- challenging work
- encouraged to step out of your comfort zone
- good people to work with
- morale is terrible with all the layoffs
- great to work with the different business units
disapointing
Process Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 11, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Very disappointing place to work, management doesn't respect their employees and do not treat them well.
They always change on you in regards to what they say and advancement is not guarantee as they say during hiring process.
Still is the lowest pay in the industry
Productive.
Snr Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2015
Pros: Subsidized lunches, Day Care
Cons: Long hours, Stressful Environment
Mid cap company that requires a lot of strategic vision to move forwards. The organisation has great potential.
My most enjoyable moments was working with a highly motivated team that supported the ideals of senior management.
With the lower oil prices the company looked at reducing costs through lay-off's which caused a lot of stressful moments and lowered job morale.
Poor Managment
operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: Entry level oil field experience
Cons: Poor work life balance
Good for gaining new experience. Company has a hard time keeping quality employees as there are better incentives and management elsewhere.
Great company to work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee), AlbertaMarch 31, 2016
Typical 8 hr day, Developed into a complete professional. Most enjoyable part of the job was every employee was valued highly.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty one twenty two twenty three twenty four.
Great place to work if you can put up with self serving leads and management
Operator (Current Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 31, 2015
Cons: Two and one schedule, self serving leads, management doesn't care
After a year of working here, all I can see is how bitter people are getting (myself included). The leads only serve to their own interests, management does not help with any conflicts that happen day to day, the political game that's played between managers, leads and operators is on going.

The leads think they are changing the world when if they just focused on the job, the job would be that much better.

When going to management with an issue, they tell us that we are getting paid and that should be enough and then brush us off.

Newalta pretends to care about safety (when you're at customer sites) but when you're on Newalta owned sites it's almost anything goes.

"rules" change daily depending on what lead is working and it gets very frustrating.
great company to work for, good benefits.
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABOctober 7, 2015
Pros: free lunches
great crew, good benefits, good time off between shifts,learnt a lot with the oil and gas industry. management would push us to achieve goals
HR
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 19, 2015
The department was going through some difficult changes at the time with a 60% turn over. There were many mergers happening at the time.
I appreciated the opportunity and working with my co-workers.
overall impressions
Operator/Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee), Sussex, NBMarch 12, 2015
Pros: paid lunches and holidays time off and benifits
Cons: 12 hour shifts switching from nights to days
I didn't really like the aspect of dealing in hazardous materials on a day to day basis. It was a small place with about 10 people and they liked to talk about everyone to everyone. I didn't really enjoy the low brow humour and this started from the top on down i am no longer working there and seeking other employment opportunities
Recommend working there
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2015
Pros: Safe, good communication, friendly staff and management
Cons: Outside work in cold environment
This job has a great working environment and a safe working environment. The staff are friendly and tasks are clearly communicated.
Had the opportunity to support Family
Field Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray AbMay 4, 2015
Pros: Received a lot of training
Cons: Long periods of time away from home
The job required long work days and 2/3 of your life spent away from home. Our shift was usually 12-14 hours per day for 2 weeks, with 6 days off.
Canadian Company
Sales Technical Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 29, 2015
Good Canadian Company with great products and good support. However they desired working out of state long periods of time with minimal home or family time.
Absolute cesspool of mismanagement and deceit
Environmental (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: good operators
Cons: bad management
Dimwits for managers and lot of data manipulation to make the records look good in front of the client company and the government. Highly toxic processes.
Slave labour force. Hope you like to scrub stuff
OPERATOR (Current Employee), Drayton valleyAugust 18, 2014
Pros: didn't gain weight
Cons: labour all day everyday
Cleaning everyone else's mess is the main part of the work at newalta. The shouldn't call it operating.. Should be called plant scrub rats. Management is inexperienced and super picky. Every day there's a list created for you to do. Cleaning an painting and cleaning. They don't hand out any form of raise unless you beg. And if you ask for help or can't get to a task your written up and disciplined. Heavy labour for low pay. Any days off you get your expected to work overtime.
good ethics
Process Operator/ Plant Operator (Former Employee), Leduc, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Good company to work for, but at the moment the company is changing its policies so not sure what to look forward too. Massive cuts on budgeting to save money to do to oil dilemma.
If you dont mind getting dirty and working 14 hours a day..
Pant Operator (Former Employee), Halbrite, SKDecember 26, 2012
Pros: lots of hours, nice people, decent wage, week on week off
Cons: dirty, not enough operator to do job safely
Good group of operators

Tons of hours if your willing to work

Learn alot in a hurry

Lots of independant work

Management is more concerned about lost tme injuries than employees well being(Sent to 3 different doctors for 1 injury just because they didnt like what they heard back)