Newalta Employee Reviews

It is all about keeping one company happy
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB12 December 2016
They say you will be a senior operator but you are just a labourer, filthy work and everything you work with could cause cancer. Company which Newalta does most of the work for has no respect for the environment and Newalta wouldn't say anything to any environmental agencies, just help the company cover it up. I seen water ways which lead into the ocean completely covered in oil for weeks and not one federal agency called or put on notice.
Pros
The day i left
Cons
everything you work could cause cancer.
I enjoyed my time with the company and the shift work.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Stauffer, AB28 September 2016
Some days were really busy and more people were needed. I was trained by several good guys and was able to expand my knowledge and pass it on to the many new hires over the years. Management over all was pretty easy to talk too but were a little slow getting things done at times. I worked with a lot of good guys over the years but also some useless ones. I didn't find the job overly hard due to the fact that i am a quick learner, well organized and can perform multiple tasks at once. I really enjoyed the family atmosphere with my co-workers and the shifts.
Pros
The good people and the shifts
Cons
The bad people and overly busy days.
Good place to work in my experience
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB6 September 2016
I had worked for New Alta for the last 9 years, i had enjoyed my time there the company itself was not present in the day to day activities we were given duties to perform and were expected to complete them

Prior to the economic slow down they sought to keep thier operators training up to date, i was sent to numerous courses and learned alot over the years.
Pros
lots of smaller benifits ie free lunch
Cons
on call 24hrs a day
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB14 February 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement within a company that truly cares about their employees. I would recommend this company to anyone. They have helped me grow as someone in the workplace as well as a person.
Good entry to many different areas oil and gas industry.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC22 March 2017
Good entry to many different areas oil and gas industry. You learn a lot with machinery to deal with customer service. Paper documents of the oil and gas industry
Decent company with decent employees
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 November 2016
Great company that could use some work. 100% a foot in the door company to the oilfield. Lots to learn and to excel at. Equal opportunity employer. for sure
Was good company
senior process operator (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB20 October 2016
is a great company good money and free education. Work life balance could be better. The manager and staff were all good people
Pros
money
Cons
work life balance
Fun work place
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 September 2016
Good place to start your career in the oilfield / environmental area.
Senior co-workers willing to teach new hires.
All around good stepping stone.
Pros
Good benefits
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Northern AB16 April 2016
Each day consisted of building and retaining solid long term customer relationships. I learned throughout my 10year sales career that this is the foundation in building long term success.

Immediate management was a pleasure to work with. My co- workers and I fed off one another to achieve the great success we enjoyed. I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain accounts at my discretion.
Great workplace, Great People, Good Leadership
Invoicing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2016
I enjoyed my 7.4 years at Newalta. I started in document control where I had to verify all incoming oilfield truck tickets for accuracy and then attach them into SAP for our invoicing team. The high volumes & attention to detail made me develop time management skills, internal / external customer service & important organizational skills.

My last 4 years at Newalta I was part of the invoicing team, I expanded my skills here and developed more internal / external communication, way more exposure to SAP which we used to correct invoices, enter data, update account information & roll out our invoice optimization program. I also worked alongside AR to make sure our monthly targets were being hit and any discrepancies on invoices were fixed.

This role also had me training new staff, keeping track of our KPI's, Task documentation and general administrative work.
Pros
Challenging, Rewards, Good Team, Excellent Training, Pay & Benefits were great
A great place to learn about processes.
Oil Battery Operator (Former Employee) –  Baldonnel, BC6 March 2016
At Newalta, I was exposed to every part of the processes and was involved in every process. I do not regret working there.
Pros
The opportunity to learn every operation and piece of equipment
Cons
The managment does not have time to participate in plant events. Teambuilding.
Productive, Agile, Well Balanced Workplace.
Invoicing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2015
Newalta was a great place to work. It was fast paced, interactive and always had you learning something new. Management was supportive and tried to make the work load as manageable as possible. I worked on a team of 8 and everyone did their part to meet month end financial goals in the invoicing department. The office was great too, it had a lounge, a gym and a large conference centre for employee functions and meetings.
Pros
great management, nice office, free gym, lounge, compensation was great
Cons
other than the lay offs, there wasn't really any cons.
Fast paced, ever-changing workplace.
HR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2015
- no day is the same
- challenging work
- encouraged to step out of your comfort zone
- good people to work with
- morale is terrible with all the layoffs
- great to work with the different business units
Pros
great corporate facility, lounge, gym, benefits, salary
Cons
leadership doesn't care about people, only the bottom line, you only hear about what you haven't done, not what you have accomplished
Productive.
Snr Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2015
Mid cap company that requires a lot of strategic vision to move forwards. The organisation has great potential.
My most enjoyable moments was working with a highly motivated team that supported the ideals of senior management.
With the lower oil prices the company looked at reducing costs through lay-off's which caused a lot of stressful moments and lowered job morale.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, Day Care
Cons
Long hours, Stressful Environment
disapointing
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 December 2015
Very disappointing place to work, management doesn't respect their employees and do not treat them well.
They always change on you in regards to what they say and advancement is not guarantee as they say during hiring process.
Still is the lowest pay in the industry
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Great company to work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 March 2016
Typical 8 hr day, Developed into a complete professional. Most enjoyable part of the job was every employee was valued highly.
Poor Managment
operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2016
Good for gaining new experience. Company has a hard time keeping quality employees as there are better incentives and management elsewhere.
Pros
Entry level oil field experience
Cons
Poor work life balance
overall impressions
Operator/Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sussex, NB12 March 2015
I didn't really like the aspect of dealing in hazardous materials on a day to day basis. It was a small place with about 10 people and they liked to talk about everyone to everyone. I didn't really enjoy the low brow humour and this started from the top on down i am no longer working there and seeking other employment opportunities
Pros
Paid lunches and holidays time off and benifits
Cons
12 hour shifts switching from nights to days
Slave labour force. Hope you like to scrub stuff
OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Drayton valley18 August 2014
Cleaning everyone else's mess is the main part of the work at newalta. The shouldn't call it operating.. Should be called plant scrub rats. Management is inexperienced and super picky. Every day there's a list created for you to do. Cleaning an painting and cleaning. They don't hand out any form of raise unless you beg. And if you ask for help or can't get to a task your written up and disciplined. Heavy labour for low pay. Any days off you get your expected to work overtime.
Pros
Didn't gain weight
Cons
Labour all day everyday
If you dont mind getting dirty and working 14 hours a day..
Pant Operator (Former Employee) –  Halbrite, SK26 December 2012
Good group of operators

Tons of hours if your willing to work

Learn alot in a hurry

Lots of independant work

Management is more concerned about lost tme injuries than employees well being(Sent to 3 different doctors for 1 injury just because they didnt like what they heard back)
Pros
lots of hours, nice people, decent wage, week on week off
Cons
dirty, not enough operator to do job safely

2.9