New York Fries Employee Reviews

Fun working at this place.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
Owner and co-workers are very nice to work with. Its easy to request for schedules. Hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting and the most enjoyable part is the camaraderie amongst co workers.
Pros
Fun place to work because of nice co-workers
Cons
Need to lift 50 lb boxes and heavy fryer baskets.
Productive and friendly management
Counterperson (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2016
Enjoyed working here! Management was very friendly and customers were very pleasant. This was one of my first counter person jobs. The most enjoyable part was that I made friends here, without it affecting our work ethic.
Pros
Friendly Management
Cons
short staffed
Great place to work, fast pace
Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON19 November 2016
Great company, great co-workers and a decent place to make a living with a nice discount on your food each day which is pretty great.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
Got fired for no specific reason.
Job
Food preparation and customer service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
Awesome people
Tasty food
Rude customers
Weird mall
Interesting views
Pros
50% off, mall discount
Cons
Rude people
small working enviroment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 October 2016
minimal managerial influence on the store from the higher ups. constant changes to the store that, on paper, make sense but in practice, did not work and the higher managers never understood that.
good experience with the staff
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS1 October 2016
The managee teach me a lot of communication skill and tips of work.
It is a such good time to work with the manager and colleagues.
Unprofessional New Owners
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 August 2016
Very dirty and unprofessional management. Things were never fixed or replaced. Co-workers were usually wonderful. The job itself is pretty basic and great for entry level front liners.
Pros
Free Small Fry
Cons
No raises
Nice musical environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC17 August 2016
morning:pre-prepared fries,hot-dog,sauces and condiment
lunch time:greet customer take their order and prepared them
close:clean station, change oil and do the daily deposit.
management was good not the best marketing but at least they were new promotion every 2 month and came with optimist working video
co-worker were lazy when I was not there but as soon as I put my favorite 70's music productivity was highly increasing.
The hardest part was cleaning the fryer since it need to stay really hot but what was enjoyable is the cut fries competition 50 lbs of potatoes cut in 2 minute was fun.
Pros
free lunche
Cons
salary is very low
Productive and diverse workplace, but faced a lot of favoritism
Restaurant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 July 2016
Working at New York Fries was very beneficial for my employability skills. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers because they were productive and taught me a lot about how to become a great server. I did however choose to resign due to the lack of equality within the workplace.
Pros
Great opportunity to expand my eployability skills
Cons
No equality
A challenging job that will help your grow.
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2016
New York Fries is one of the more demanding quick service restaurants for the individual. You are expected to work all aspects of the store (Cooking, cleaning cash handling etc.). This allows the individual to really hone on their multitasking skills and their ability to adapt. The company prides itself in customer care and cleanliness as well, which helps the workers learn to be more detailed oriented. This company has taught me a lot about the industry and would be beneficial to anyone who works there.
Pros
Flexible General Manager
Cons
High turnover can lead to long stressful days
Nice place; would recommend as starter
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON10 June 2016
Now, in total, I've been working at New York Fries for 2 years. In those two years, I have worked with some awesome people. Some of which had become my best of friends over time.

As for the management, Now, this isn't in all stores, but in the one I worked at before moving to another one in another city; they were very...judging. Now, what I mean is that, you would book a day off that wasn't busy or it wasn't part of the holiday (Say, your birthday), and they would complain that you booked it off.

Contradictions are what they live for basically. The management would never tell you straight answers, but expect you to know everything. It was, for the most part, annoying.

I would not recommend this place as somewhere you stay. A stepping stone at most, so I would say get this job, but as a starter job
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Sneaky Management
Great place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 June 2016
New York Fries is a great place to work, you get to meet all different kinds of people, it is a very hands on work environment, you have to be quick and adaptable.
Fun work experience with co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 June 2016
Is a very fun workplace with the people you work with, they keep the place very lively. If you are new, you are treated a bit better, but after two weeks, you may end up getting screamed at.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Doesnt give enough work shifts
customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  eaton centre30 May 2016
My day at work starts with cashing people and help in kitchen and serve customers.
As it was my first job in canada i learned first thing about customer service.
My manager used to work with me. She is the first person who taught me about running the business.
I had good co-workers. they helped me cope with my first work in Canada.
hardest part of the job is how busy the store get. and meeting the customer satisfaction in waiting period.
I enjoyed working with my co workers. Pace of the business was prettty busy but it was always good to work with customers.
Pros
good management
Cons
busy environment
Very productive, always room to share beliefs and humor.
Food Prep, Clean Up, Closer, Opener, &Stocks (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2016
One of the Cleanest, and probably one of the best Jobs that I have ever worked at in my life, the Management is very good and I hope to find more like this!
Pros
Free Lunch(sometimes), extended hours(sometimes)
Good Place to work
Server/cook (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 April 2016
Good place to work. but can be very fast paced sometimes . but overall its not a bad place to start working. Sometimes gets chaotic when really busy, and there is a bit of lacking in co ordination, and management skills
Pros
free food
Cons
really physically demanding
Like working at New York Fries
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 April 2016
I enjoyed the time I spent at NY Fries. I made new friends and got to experience what it was like having my first job which was quit enjoyable.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Food industry
Very strict, and non understanding
Fry cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 April 2016
As much as I enjoyed working with my co-workers management always seemed to be an issue here. They were very rude, disrespectful and were prejudice. I understand in a workplace with high volume can be distracting, but I one time had to work 12 hours, and worked 6 before I got a break, by myself for the entire shift in a place where I'd get a good 20-40 customers an hour.
Pros
50% lunches
Cons
High mainenance, very high volume
Fun workplace and good management.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 March 2016
My first job I got as an immigrant. Typical busy fast-food place. Love the poutine. The management and the owner are great people to work with.
Happiness at work is a win win.
Asst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 March 2016
To be honest, I don't mind working hard, or working long hours. As long as I love what I'm doing and at the end of the day I can feel the satisfaction of making my job well done :)
Pros
None.
Cons
None.

2.8