New York Fries Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Worker (Former Employee), Halifax, NSApril 12, 2015
Overall working there was great. My co-workers were really nice to me. Like most other fast food jobs it fits the bill of most people who work there but if you're a student who wants to take time off double check with the management a bunch first.

In being a student myself and moving away from home to come to school I had gone home for christmas break with full permission to do so. In returning to my position my shifts were cut and I was not given work for almost three weeks. I had almost hit 7 months of working with them (excluding the time I took off for xmas even) so I should have been receiving at least one shift a week. I was treated unfairly and instead of giving me any shifts or firing me, they left me in the dark. I was employed but not working, and as a student I can't afford that. I was really confused and upset by what was happening. Thankfully I ended up finding out that they were looking to fire me but were avoiding doing so (this solved my confusion and prompted me to quit). They wanted to fire me because of the time I was talking off. I understand that kind of situation, its time consuming to find new workers while people like me are away. But I had asked for the time off and received it. If I was denied the time off or given more guidance on the amount of time I was allowed, I would have been happy to do so.They were also wanting to fire me because they assumed I was going home for the summer when I was actually making plans to stay in Halifax for the summer but they had never actually asked me.
I am a more than compliant worker, I do what I'm told and – more... more often than not I'm happy to do so. I just had wished that they had told me their issues before hand. I'd much rather keep a job than lose it over permissed time away. I found it unfair in how I was treated and also that they hadn't fired me before I had left for Christmas or at least warned me to look for a new job. In Halifax the job market is extremely competitive and I would have appreciated the heads up in order to begin my job searches earlier if I had known I would be coming back to no work. I thought my position was secure, it wasn't and that's ok. What bothers me is that I wasn't informed or respected. In the end I quit because they were stalling to fire me and continued to leave me in the dark. – less
Fast pace great job with great co-workers and management
Fast Food (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: co-workers/management, discount
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day would be coming into work, going up front where food is made/cash and seeing what needs to be done there are 3-4 staition such as, cash - hot dogs/drinks - fryer/putting fries into container - toppings. If there is an empty staition i would take over and get to work. If the staitions are full i would then check our sauces and make sure they are full, if not i would go out back and prep our sauces then bring up front to be used. If the sauces are full i would do stocking, making sure the fridge is full of juice/milk/water, also make sure we have a good amount of piles of cups/containers for our foods and drinks. We all switch around so one doesnt over work one staition and everyone gets a turn everywhere,
I have very great co-workers all are welcoming and kind. They help make sure i know every step on how to do my job as i havent been there very long, i do the same for the people that started after me. I also have a great manager, understanding, makes sure things are equal to our ability and helps out when needed. Always on top of things.
There isnt a very hard part of the job its pretty easy and quick to catch onto the skills. But picking a hard part would be lifting the fryers when there is a few baskets stacked. I very much enjoy cash to interact with the customers make sure they get what they need and also like fryer/toppings i like to cook the fries and put into containers aswell as placing the toppings on top such as veggies, sauces, curds and gravy.
Im lucky to learn how to handle cash and operate the cash machine aswell as cooking the fries. Its a great – more... experiance to learn how to use a cash machine since it is used most to all stores. – less
Great environment and hard working team.
Cashier, Cook/Perpare (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: free lunch, 2 breaks, awesome workers, paycheck
Cons: being mistreated
A typical day at New York Fries would insist of running the cashier, cut and preparing fries as well as the cooking. During and after every shift I would participate in the clean up and re-stalking around the store.
What I have learned throughout this experience is how important team work is in such a little setting. New York Fries is an extremely small place which can get very busy and team work is an very important aspect when having a job. I also learned how to deal with cash.
Management was okay, I disagreed with some of ways they would come across things such as approaching us employees, as well as giving us unfair rights. All in all I had no big complaints.
My co-workers were the best. I enjoyed working with mainly all of them and the way they would come together as one was extremely impressive. They have grown to be long term friends and have became a big part in my life even though I no longer work their. They all brought a smile to my face and made me excited to come into work.
The hardest part of the job was being able to lift the heavy baskets. Due to the handles you must hold to carry the baskets full of fries were really heavy and unbalanced which got difficult after a while.
The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to interact with different customers in the mall and becoming kind of like a family with my co-workers. I am a very sociable person and enjoyed doing cashier a lot.
Fast pace yet safe work environment that allows employees to develop interpersonal skills related to the fast food industry
Front Liner - Customer Service (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: free meals on break, great co-workers and management, safety first...
Cons: issues with availability
A typical day consists of and open where employees prepare the store for the day. This consists of preparing any foods that are served. The majority of the day consists of sales and is indicative of a typical fast food service. Finally, the close is the last job required and is primarily a time where cleaning and stocking occurs. The close also prepares the store for the following day. As an employee, we learn how to work in a fast pace team environment. we learn to effectively communicate with one another and develop the interpersonal skill of relationship development. The management at NYF is committed to providing employees with a safe work environment and policies that are not restrictive yet are required to maintain order and functionality within the business. Co-workers at NYF are the most rewarding part of the job. As an employee you meet and develop relationships with employees that are committed to working hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to provide service to those who wish to purchase NYF's product. It is rewarding to see that a customer has been satisfied by the service we as employees provide
Good job for starting in the work industry
Supervisor (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, semi-flexible hours
Cons: Hours are not guaranteed unless you're a store manager.
Working at NYF (New York Fries) feels like any other fast food chain. Days are spent normally serving customers or cleaning but mostly cleaning if the business days are slow. I have learned money managing skills, communication skills, and team management. Management is okay considering the general manager hasn't changed in years however store managers tend to change around frequently. In terms of co-workers and staff, management tends to hire people that work well together and can get along swimmingly. I can consider a few as very close friends. The hardest part about being a supervisor at NYF would have to be the customer complaints. You simply are not able to satisfy some people no matter how hard you try but your job forces you to try and please these people who verbally abuse you and your workers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is satisfying our customers. The job would feel a lot better if we got more appreciation for all of our hard work. Overall I feel like this job gives you a good taste of the working industry and gives you good skills to use later in life.
productive, and friendly co-workers.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Mic Mac Mall, Dartmouth, NSSeptember 2, 2013
Cons: not many hours.
A typical day at New York Fries usually consisted of clocking in, and beginning to make meals for families and mall employees. Throughout a shift I would work cash, fryers, food preparation and out back, cleaning and preparing ingredients for the different stations within New York Fries.
I learned communication skills, and how to properly conduct myself in stressful and difficult situations at New York Fries. In many situations I was able to keep a nice and polite composure while dealing with difficult customers.
Working at New York Fries aided me in dealing with management and co-workers who may have had a bad day, or were going through stressful situations. For the most part my co-workers and managers were always a pleasure to work with, and very understanding and easy going.
The most enjoyable part of working at New York Fries was working with some terrific people and learning how to balance my time between work and college. I would look forward to going to work after a difficult day of classes and seeing the energetic and friendly people I got to work with.
Server/Customer service (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJune 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch, on time payment
Cons: constantly changing work schedule, high employee turnover
New York Fries is within the Aberdeen mall in Kamloops. A typical day starts at 8am. All fries are cut, sauces prepared, vegetables cut and hot dogs allowed to thaw. The fries go through three stages hence the earlier the better. We normally expect our customers to troop in at around 10am therefore first and second stage frying are made before the clock hits 10am.The third stage frying is what customers normally witness when they order their fries.
Again the customer is always right so we ensure the orders we take from them are accurate and precise. Any mistakes result in loss hence our manager was so particular about accuracy and efficiency.
Employers were fast and accurate. Less mistakes were tolerated.
The hardest part of this job was cutting about 15 bags of potatoes in a 6 hour shift.
I loved hanging out with the young and lively employees.
My First Real Paying Job
Employee (Former Employee), SurreyAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Working with great people.
Cons: Only working there for a short amount of time.
I didn't work there for very long, they already had too many people working there when I started, it was just in the food court in the mall so you can imagine how tight it was with 6-7 people working at the same time in a space about the same size as a closet. I worked there for a month, and wasn't the only one who got let go. They basically did it by seniority, whoever worked there longest got to keep their jobs which was fair. I enjoyed it though, I worked with some great people and got some pretty good experience and learned a lot about customer service and the fast food industry. The manager had a really thick Russian accent and sometimes it was really hard to understand her. Other than that it was okay for my first job, only down side is I didn't work there for very long, but that was out of my control. I would've loved to stay.
An Effective working environment to establish basic skills to further my knowledge and experience within the food industry.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Overall my past and continuing experience at New York Fries has influenced my work ethics in becoming the responsible and reliable employee I am today. I have learned to multitask between customer service and service efficiency to provide the best overall customer satisfaction. There has been obstacles faced throughout my two years of work experience that has led me to deal with conflicts respectively and responsibly.Due to my ability to learn quickly and apply my knowledge to my workplace to achieve workplace goals, I was quickly promoted to Supervisor. This responsibility taught me the desired traits a leader should attain to properly and professionally instruct their employees to work efficiently.
A good summer job for students !
caissière (Former Employee), Montreal Québec, Pointe-claire (Fairview Mall)June 5, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: you end up very dirty by the end of your shift
Personally, I enjoyed working there. But, like any other job, there were certain obstacles that I had to face. As huge- harted as my manager was, he didn`t know how to handle things in a calm and collective manner. It is for that reason that I quit. He was also the kind to call me last- minute to ask if I can come in to work. The last minor problem was that working there required being comfortable with being around hot oil, which caused me to have minor burns on both arms. Besides that, my co- workers were very nice, responsible and fun people to be around, which made the job easier. The hardest part of the job was to clean the three stages of the frying machine because of the heat. the most enjoyable part of the job was serving the customers, because most of them were as sociable as I was.
New York Fries
Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2014
New York Fries was the second job I got in high school. Working there was a really good time for me. I started out as a cashier, and once the store got sold, we were trained to do all the positions. Through time, I became a cook, and eventually was the manager until I moved to St Catharine's for school.

As the manager, I had to do the stock, keep count on everything we had in the store, so that we don't run out and to place the order twice a week. I created schedule, working between the lives of busy students. I had to talk with the owner and head office a fair bit to keep everyone up to date on how the store was. I had to teach everyone about new promotions that came out. I trained new staff how to open and close the store, and the general responsibilities of working there.

All in all, working at New York Fries taught me both good leadership and teamwork skills.
A fun pace to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), London, ONMay 29, 2012
Pros: free food for employees
Cons: standing for long periods of time.
My shift starts with washing my hands and taking over the cash register. I help customers make their food selection, help prepare food, and give it to customers. During the shift I put out fresh products and clean work areas. The end of the shift involves counting down the register and dropping the money at the bank.
This job helped me improve my customer service skills since I was consistently dealing with the public. I worked with a small group of individuals, some of whom were in school, others were employed full time. The hardest part of the job was keeping the orders moving efficiently when there were a lot of customers at once. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the public and I liked most of my coworkers.
Good for a starter job
Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Free food and drinks
Cons: Limited hours
This job can be okay but it can get stressful quick. You have to do so many things for so little time. You serve customers, stock items, prepare the food, clean the store etc. You learn how to multitask really well in this job.

Management is okay I guess. Some managers are nice, some are too stiff. You will get yelled at for pointless things and mistakes so expect it. You also will never get your desired hours. Always never enough. The most I've worked was about 25 scheduled hours as a supervisor. Every position except the manager is part time so it does suck for a summer job.

The only thing I like was that it's in the mall so you meet a lot of cool people who come by regularly and also see your friends sometimes. It's a very social job.
New york fries
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJuly 9, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
a typicalday would be both either fast or slow depends on how busy the mall is and how hungry people are but the work wasnt hard and some of the people there were really funny, nice, and easy to talk to.
Ive learned how to communicate better with customers and even employees, learned how to take control of a situation and gained better problem solving skills the management was okay at one time but then it went down hill for a while that always happens when a new person becomes the manager, the hardest part of the job was when it was the busiest it could be and me being on friers cooking and lifting the baskets of fries every second, being with the employees who later became my friends
Great work experience with great people.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Welland, ONNovember 10, 2014
Pros: friendly, good hours, delicious food, great experience
Cons: customers are always right
This job was a lot of fun. Every employee did practically everything, from mopping the floors to cooking and serving the food, including the Boss and managers. Everyone got along nicely and made work really enjoyable. The experience was great, we weren't just stuck in one section, like only doing Till or only Cooking, we constantly switched and ever worked alone on slow days.

I loved this job and would still be working there now except for the fact that I was there for 8 years and I want to branch off and get some new/different Work Experience before I get too old.
everything
Cashier (Former Employee), Gatineau, QCMarch 9, 2013
Pros: i learned a lot of new skills and experiences
Cons: was not managed properly
Its not an easy job there are lot's of things you have to learn and do on your own . The environment was not the greatest to work in because it seemed that people cared more about starting problems than the work. The management skills was not the greatest either because the job for ordering supplies etc. was never done right . The manager would barley ever show for her shift . So i would always get double booked or go in on my days off witch i did not mind doing all tho after awhile it tends to get annoying . The district manager made it seem that he dint care about you're safety as long as his work got done
Great place for a part time job
Basic Employee (Former Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 31, 2014
Pros: not extremely work intensive. a basic rhythm for shifts can be picked up very quickly.
Cons: can occasionally be very busy with very little notice, especially closer to holiday hours as it was in a mall location.
In the short months that i worked at New York Fries it was quite enjoyable. The management was very nice and easy to talk to if ever there were concerns over how to do a certain task or what more could possibly be done if ever there was some free time between cleaning, stocking, and making orders. the rest of the staff was very good to work with, they made New York Fries a place i looked forward to coming into work at.
learned new skills
Cashier/Customer Service/cook (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCJune 14, 2015
Pros: friendly approach towards all employees by the manager
Cons: less hours
Starting with the first job in New York Fries is a good experience for overall personality bit hard but enjoyable, learned new cooking skills, learned to communicate more confidently, improved customer service. Supportive and friendly co-workers, learned to work in a team. Everything is enjoyable starting from cooking to cleaning but my favourite part is attending the customers.Working on till as cashier helped me to improve my communication skills and also helped us in to know a glimpse of what customers think about the store.
Pretty well rounded workplace.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Staff incentives, supervisor camping trips, tubing for all staff members, christmas presents (varies by store)
Honestly, this was probably the best place for me to work part time while attending school. They're incredibly flexible with hours and the job is relatively easy once you get into the swing of things. Christmas is crazy, but totally worth it as you really get to understand the job, as well as learn to maintain a clean and stocked store while handling customers. I honestly feel so prepared for any other retail job I'm going to have within the next few years.
Very good entry level job, a lot of fun.
Assisting and serving customers (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Pros: Great atomsphere
Cons: Going home late
A typical day at work was all about serving fries and hot dogs to the customers while having fun with coworkers and providing the best customer service you could. Hardest part of the job was having to stay until 11 p.m. on a school night and coming home at around 12 p.m. The most enjoyable part was the amount of fun I got involved in and the schedule was very flexible to me as a high school student.