New York Fries Employee Reviews

Nice musical environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC17 August 2016
morning:pre-prepared fries,hot-dog,sauces and condiment
lunch time:greet customer take their order and prepared them
close:clean station, change oil and do the daily deposit.
management was good not the best marketing but at least they were new promotion every 2 month and came with optimist working video
co-worker were lazy when I was not there but as soon as I put my favorite 70's music productivity was highly increasing.
The hardest part was cleaning the fryer since it need to stay really hot but what was enjoyable is the cut fries competition 50 lbs of potatoes cut in 2 minute was fun.
Pros
free lunche
Cons
salary is very low
Unprofessional New Owners
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 August 2016
Very dirty and unprofessional management. Things were never fixed or replaced. Co-workers were usually wonderful. The job itself is pretty basic and great for entry level front liners.
Pros
Free Small Fry
Cons
No raises
New York Fries
Cashier, Cook (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 January 2017
Summers are extremely busy and hectic. Poor management. Co-workers are great. Worked long shifts (sometimes 14 hours).
Pros
Discount meals
Cons
Decent foods job with iffy management.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 January 2017
Great place for a part-time or beginning job.
Most staff between high school and early university aged.
Managers between all KW stores are good friends, so that is the only way to become one.
Pros
Great start up job
Cons
No room for advancement
Great place to work, fast pace
Fry Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON19 November 2016
Great company, great co-workers and a decent place to make a living with a nice discount on your food each day which is pretty great.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
Got fired for no specific reason.
Nice place; would recommend as starter
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON10 June 2016
Now, in total, I've been working at New York Fries for 2 years. In those two years, I have worked with some awesome people. Some of which had become my best of friends over time.

As for the management, Now, this isn't in all stores, but in the one I worked at before moving to another one in another city; they were very...judging. Now, what I mean is that, you would book a day off that wasn't busy or it wasn't part of the holiday (Say, your birthday), and they would complain that you booked it off.

Contradictions are what they live for basically. The management would never tell you straight answers, but expect you to know everything. It was, for the most part, annoying.

I would not recommend this place as somewhere you stay. A stepping stone at most, so I would say get this job, but as a starter job
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Sneaky Management
Productive and friendly management
Counterperson (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2016
Enjoyed working here! Management was very friendly and customers were very pleasant. This was one of my first counter person jobs. The most enjoyable part was that I made friends here, without it affecting our work ethic.
Pros
Friendly Management
Cons
short staffed
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2016
Productive and fun workplace.
Supportive and encouraging management
Pay on time
Management was initially stellar in developing my skill set.
Provides good work experience that will be useful in the future
Pros
Free Lunches
customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  eaton centre30 May 2016
My day at work starts with cashing people and help in kitchen and serve customers.
As it was my first job in canada i learned first thing about customer service.
My manager used to work with me. She is the first person who taught me about running the business.
I had good co-workers. they helped me cope with my first work in Canada.
hardest part of the job is how busy the store get. and meeting the customer satisfaction in waiting period.
I enjoyed working with my co workers. Pace of the business was prettty busy but it was always good to work with customers.
Pros
good management
Cons
busy environment
Fun working at this place.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
Owner and co-workers are very nice to work with. Its easy to request for schedules. Hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting and the most enjoyable part is the camaraderie amongst co workers.
Pros
Fun place to work because of nice co-workers
Cons
Need to lift 50 lb boxes and heavy fryer baskets.
Productive and fast pace work place
Cashier/Fry Chief (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 January 2017
A typical day at work included handling cash and serving food in a timely manner with a smile on my face. Working at New York Fries taught me how to be a leader from my times training new staff members the day to day routines of how to open and close the store and handle food safely.
A challenging job that will help your grow.
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2016
New York Fries is one of the more demanding quick service restaurants for the individual. You are expected to work all aspects of the store (Cooking, cleaning cash handling etc.). This allows the individual to really hone on their multitasking skills and their ability to adapt. The company prides itself in customer care and cleanliness as well, which helps the workers learn to be more detailed oriented. This company has taught me a lot about the industry and would be beneficial to anyone who works there.
Pros
Flexible General Manager
Cons
High turnover can lead to long stressful days
management role
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
started here when i was young, learned a lot from the managers and staff along the way. opened up my first store and was able to teach and train the staff the way i was trained
Job
Food preparation and customer service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2016
Awesome people
Tasty food
Rude customers
Weird mall
Interesting views
Pros
50% off, mall discount
Cons
Rude people
small working enviroment
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 October 2016
minimal managerial influence on the store from the higher ups. constant changes to the store that, on paper, make sense but in practice, did not work and the higher managers never understood that.
Productive and diverse workplace, but faced a lot of favoritism
Restaurant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 July 2016
Working at New York Fries was very beneficial for my employability skills. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers because they were productive and taught me a lot about how to become a great server. I did however choose to resign due to the lack of equality within the workplace.
Pros
Great opportunity to expand my eployability skills
Cons
No equality
Very productive, always room to share beliefs and humor.
Food Prep, Clean Up, Closer, Opener, &Stocks (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2016
One of the Cleanest, and probably one of the best Jobs that I have ever worked at in my life, the Management is very good and I hope to find more like this!
Pros
Free Lunch(sometimes), extended hours(sometimes)
good experience with the staff
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS1 October 2016
The managee teach me a lot of communication skill and tips of work.
It is a such good time to work with the manager and colleagues.
New York Fries
Fry Cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2016
I haven't worked at this establishment since I was in grade 12 but if I remember correctly it was a very good job. I learned how to cook fries and prepare them with the potato slicer. My co-workers and management were very nice and were reasonable when it came to working around my school schedule. The hardest part of this job was just getting used to having a job since this was my real first one. The most enjoyable was getting to learn how different places run, prepare food, cut up potatoes, meet new people etc.
Pros
Discounted lunches, the people
Cons
lost the job
Very strict, and non understanding
Fry cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 April 2016
As much as I enjoyed working with my co-workers management always seemed to be an issue here. They were very rude, disrespectful and were prejudice. I understand in a workplace with high volume can be distracting, but I one time had to work 12 hours, and worked 6 before I got a break, by myself for the entire shift in a place where I'd get a good 20-40 customers an hour.
Pros
50% lunches
Cons
High mainenance, very high volume

2.8