New York Fries Employee Reviews

OK place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 5, 2016
Great employee discount. Typical day at work, cut and cook potatoes from scratch and prepare sauces and veggies for service. Some nice co-workers and OK management. But very little advancement in this company!
An Effective working environment to establish basic skills to further my knowledge and experience within the food industry.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Overall my past and continuing experience at New York Fries has influenced my work ethics in becoming the responsible and reliable employee I am today. I have learned to multitask between customer service and service efficiency to provide the best overall customer satisfaction. There has been obstacles faced throughout my two years of work experience that has led me to deal with conflicts respectively and responsibly.Due to my ability to learn quickly and apply my knowledge to my workplace to achieve workplace goals, I was quickly promoted to Supervisor. This responsibility taught me the desired traits a leader should attain to properly and professionally instruct their employees to work efficiently.
Fast paced, required lots of commitment and motivation.
Frontliner (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 19, 2016
At New York Fries, I learned about food and safety as well as customer service. It gave me much experience with fryers and taught me about work place environments. My co-workers were very friendly and social, but also very dedicated to their job. Working there taught me to get my work done quick and thoroughly.
Pros
Free Food
Bad workplace, located in the heart of regent mall
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 9, 2015
Management was not the greatest waste was not something they liked to have happen there lots of things were going wrong at this establishment not a friendly workplace very minimal hours
Pros
50% off while working
Cons
Not many hours work weekends
everything
Cashier Team Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONNovember 2, 2015
amazing for students , boss is nice and reasonable , flexible hours , amazing discounts , vacation time, co workers are amazing , fun place to work , always enjoyed showing up to work here
new york fires good
Cashier / Cooking / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  sault ste marie ontarioOctober 19, 2015
typical day at work is fun and entreating. fun to take peoples orders and do the daily cleaning and stuff, to keep busy and keep the store clean.
learning how to communicate better with others
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 17, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my coworkers and learning from them.
Pretty well rounded workplace.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 28, 2015
Honestly, this was probably the best place for me to work part time while attending school. They're incredibly flexible with hours and the job is relatively easy once you get into the swing of things. Christmas is crazy, but totally worth it as you really get to understand the job, as well as learn to maintain a clean and stocked store while handling customers. I honestly feel so prepared for any other retail job I'm going to have within the next few years.
Pros
Staff incentives, supervisor camping trips, tubing for all staff members, christmas presents (varies by store)
My First Real Paying Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  SurreyAugust 28, 2015
I didn't work there for very long, they already had too many people working there when I started, it was just in the food court in the mall so you can imagine how tight it was with 6-7 people working at the same time in a space about the same size as a closet. I worked there for a month, and wasn't the only one who got let go. They basically did it by seniority, whoever worked there longest got to keep their jobs which was fair. I enjoyed it though, I worked with some great people and got some pretty good experience and learned a lot about customer service and the fast food industry. The manager had a really thick Russian accent and sometimes it was really hard to understand her. Other than that it was okay for my first job, only down side is I didn't work there for very long, but that was out of my control. I would've loved to stay.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Only working there for a short amount of time.
Cook (Former Employee) –  cornwall ontarioJuly 16, 2015
A day at work goes by slowly if your working alone. You have to make sure everything is clean and stocked, making sure our customers are happy with what they are eating. giving small samples out so they can try it before they buy it.
I learned more customer service, also how to deposit a large amount of money in the bank. my co-workers were amazing to work with! I love meeting new people!
Pros
making our customers smile
Cons
working alone
Good for a starter job
Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 19, 2015
This job can be okay but it can get stressful quick. You have to do so many things for so little time. You serve customers, stock items, prepare the food, clean the store etc. You learn how to multitask really well in this job.

Management is okay I guess. Some managers are nice, some are too stiff. You will get yelled at for pointless things and mistakes so expect it. You also will never get your desired hours. Always never enough. The most I've worked was about 25 scheduled hours as a supervisor. Every position except the manager is part time so it does suck for a summer job.

The only thing I like was that it's in the mall so you meet a lot of cool people who come by regularly and also see your friends sometimes. It's a very social job.
Pros
Free food and drinks
Cons
Limited hours
Long hours on your feet
Front-line Employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 19, 2015
Took long to train me, got burnt a couple times, had to do dishes, make fries, gravy, cheese sauce, and prepare things to order. The people were great there though
learned new skills
Cashier/Customer Service/cook (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 14, 2015
Starting with the first job in New York Fries is a good experience for overall personality bit hard but enjoyable, learned new cooking skills, learned to communicate more confidently, improved customer service. Supportive and friendly co-workers, learned to work in a team. Everything is enjoyable starting from cooking to cleaning but my favourite part is attending the customers.Working on till as cashier helped me to improve my communication skills and also helped us in to know a glimpse of what customers think about the store.
Pros
friendly approach towards all employees by the manager
Cons
less hours
Good job for starting in the work industry
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2015
Working at NYF (New York Fries) feels like any other fast food chain. Days are spent normally serving customers or cleaning but mostly cleaning if the business days are slow. I have learned money managing skills, communication skills, and team management. Management is okay considering the general manager hasn't changed in years however store managers tend to change around frequently. In terms of co-workers and staff, management tends to hire people that work well together and can get along swimmingly. I can consider a few as very close friends. The hardest part about being a supervisor at NYF would have to be the customer complaints. You simply are not able to satisfy some people no matter how hard you try but your job forces you to try and please these people who verbally abuse you and your workers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is satisfying our customers. The job would feel a lot better if we got more appreciation for all of our hard work. Overall I feel like this job gives you a good taste of the working industry and gives you good skills to use later in life.
Pros
Free lunches, semi-flexible hours
Cons
Hours are not guaranteed unless you're a store manager.
Very good entry level job, a lot of fun.
Assisting and serving customers (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
A typical day at work was all about serving fries and hot dogs to the customers while having fun with coworkers and providing the best customer service you could. Hardest part of the job was having to stay until 11 p.m. on a school night and coming home at around 12 p.m. The most enjoyable part was the amount of fun I got involved in and the schedule was very flexible to me as a high school student.
Pros
Great atomsphere
Cons
Going home late
Not the worst first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2015
It consisted of preparing food, taking orders, communicating with customers and consistently cleaning the store. I learned how to work under pressure a lot more and how to focus on assisting someone else.The management wasn't very focused on communication. The coworkers varied, but most were very fun to work with and made shifts enjoyable.
Great food and good first job
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioApril 28, 2015
As my first place of employment New York Fries was good starting point, that had good co-workers that showed me the ropes in the workforce. Although the pay is not good and you end up greasy at the end of your shift the simple menu is a good start for any young teenage to start working without feeling overwhelmed.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 12, 2015
Overall working there was great. My co-workers were really nice to me. Like most other fast food jobs it fits the bill of most people who work there but if you're a student who wants to take time off double check with the management a bunch first.

In being a student myself and moving away from home to come to school I had gone home for christmas break with full permission to do so. In returning to my position my shifts were cut and I was not given work for almost three weeks. I had almost hit 7 months of working with them (excluding the time I took off for xmas even) so I should have been receiving at least one shift a week. I was treated unfairly and instead of giving me any shifts or firing me, they left me in the dark. I was employed but not working, and as a student I can't afford that. I was really confused and upset by what was happening. Thankfully I ended up finding out that they were looking to fire me but were avoiding doing so (this solved my confusion and prompted me to quit). They wanted to fire me because of the time I was talking off. I understand that kind of situation, its time consuming to find new workers while people like me are away. But I had asked for the time off and received it. If I was denied the time off or given more guidance on the amount of time I was allowed, I would have been happy to do so.They were also wanting to fire me because they assumed I was going home for the summer when I was actually making plans to stay in Halifax for the summer but they had never actually asked me.
I am a more than compliant worker, I do what I'm told and
  more... more often than not I'm happy to do so. I just had wished that they had told me their issues before hand. I'd much rather keep a job than lose it over permissed time away. I found it unfair in how I was treated and also that they hadn't fired me before I had left for Christmas or at least warned me to look for a new job. In Halifax the job market is extremely competitive and I would have appreciated the heads up in order to begin my job searches earlier if I had known I would be coming back to no work. I thought my position was secure, it wasn't and that's ok. What bothers me is that I wasn't informed or respected. In the end I quit because they were stalling to fire me and continued to leave me in the dark.  less
Fun place to meet people, have his/her own opinion
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSFebruary 16, 2015
The job was a good one and stepping stone into the business world.
My co-workers were friendly
My typical day at work is good and fun all day but most stressful.The hardest part of the job is standing all day expect from my launch time. The most enjoyable part of my job is not paying for your launch time.
Pros
employee free launch discounts
Cons
Fast pace great job with great co-workers and management
Fast Food (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day would be coming into work, going up front where food is made/cash and seeing what needs to be done there are 3-4 staition such as, cash - hot dogs/drinks - fryer/putting fries into container - toppings. If there is an empty staition i would take over and get to work. If the staitions are full i would then check our sauces and make sure they are full, if not i would go out back and prep our sauces then bring up front to be used. If the sauces are full i would do stocking, making sure the fridge is full of juice/milk/water, also make sure we have a good amount of piles of cups/containers for our foods and drinks. We all switch around so one doesnt over work one staition and everyone gets a turn everywhere,
I have very great co-workers all are welcoming and kind. They help make sure i know every step on how to do my job as i havent been there very long, i do the same for the people that started after me. I also have a great manager, understanding, makes sure things are equal to our ability and helps out when needed. Always on top of things.
There isnt a very hard part of the job its pretty easy and quick to catch onto the skills. But picking a hard part would be lifting the fryers when there is a few baskets stacked. I very much enjoy cash to interact with the customers make sure they get what they need and also like fryer/toppings i like to cook the fries and put into containers aswell as placing the toppings on top such as veggies, sauces, curds and gravy.
Im lucky to learn how to handle cash and operate the cash machine aswell as cooking the fries. Its a great
  more... experiance to learn how to use a cash machine since it is used most to all stores.  less
Pros
co-workers/management, discount
Cons
not enough hours