New York Fries Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice place; would recommend as starter
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJune 10, 2016
Now, in total, I've been working at New York Fries for 2 years. In those two years, I have worked with some awesome people. Some of which had become my best of friends over time.

As for the management, Now, this isn't in all stores, but in the one I worked at before moving to another one in another city; they were very...judging. Now, what I mean is that, you would book a day off that wasn't busy or it wasn't part of the holiday (Say, your birthday), and they would complain that you booked it off.

Contradictions are what they live for basically. The management would never tell you straight answers, but expect you to know everything. It was, for the most part, annoying.

I would not recommend this place as somewhere you stay. A stepping stone at most, so I would say get this job, but as a starter job
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Sneaky Management
Nice musical environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QCAugust 17, 2016
morning:pre-prepared fries,hot-dog,sauces and condiment
lunch time:greet customer take their order and prepared them
close:clean station, change oil and do the daily deposit.
management was good not the best marketing but at least they were new promotion every 2 month and came with optimist working video
co-worker were lazy when I was not there but as soon as I put my favorite 70's music productivity was highly increasing.
The hardest part was cleaning the fryer since it need to stay really hot but what was enjoyable is the cut fries competition 50 lbs of potatoes cut in 2 minute was fun.
Pros
free lunche
Cons
salary is very low
A challenging job that will help your grow.
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 20, 2016
New York Fries is one of the more demanding quick service restaurants for the individual. You are expected to work all aspects of the store (Cooking, cleaning cash handling etc.). This allows the individual to really hone on their multitasking skills and their ability to adapt. The company prides itself in customer care and cleanliness as well, which helps the workers learn to be more detailed oriented. This company has taught me a lot about the industry and would be beneficial to anyone who works there.
Pros
Flexible General Manager
Cons
High turnover can lead to long stressful days
customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  eaton centreMay 30, 2016
My day at work starts with cashing people and help in kitchen and serve customers.
As it was my first job in canada i learned first thing about customer service.
My manager used to work with me. She is the first person who taught me about running the business.
I had good co-workers. they helped me cope with my first work in Canada.
hardest part of the job is how busy the store get. and meeting the customer satisfaction in waiting period.
I enjoyed working with my co workers. Pace of the business was prettty busy but it was always good to work with customers.
Pros
good management
Cons
busy environment
New York Fries
Fry Cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I haven't worked at this establishment since I was in grade 12 but if I remember correctly it was a very good job. I learned how to cook fries and prepare them with the potato slicer. My co-workers and management were very nice and were reasonable when it came to working around my school schedule. The hardest part of this job was just getting used to having a job since this was my real first one. The most enjoyable was getting to learn how different places run, prepare food, cut up potatoes, meet new people etc.
Pros
Discounted lunches, the people
Cons
lost the job
Productive and diverse workplace, but faced a lot of favoritism
Restaurant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 5, 2016
Working at New York Fries was very beneficial for my employability skills. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers because they were productive and taught me a lot about how to become a great server. I did however choose to resign due to the lack of equality within the workplace.
Pros
Great opportunity to expand my eployability skills
Cons
No equality
An Effective working environment to establish basic skills to further my knowledge and experience within the food industry.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Overall my past and continuing experience at New York Fries has influenced my work ethics in becoming the responsible and reliable employee I am today. I have learned to multitask between customer service and service efficiency to provide the best overall customer satisfaction. There has been obstacles faced throughout my two years of work experience that has led me to deal with conflicts respectively and responsibly.Due to my ability to learn quickly and apply my knowledge to my workplace to achieve workplace goals, I was quickly promoted to Supervisor. This responsibility taught me the desired traits a leader should attain to properly and professionally instruct their employees to work efficiently.
OK place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 5, 2016
Great employee discount. Typical day at work, cut and cook potatoes from scratch and prepare sauces and veggies for service. Some nice co-workers and OK management. But very little advancement in this company!
Very strict, and non understanding
Fry cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONApril 7, 2016
As much as I enjoyed working with my co-workers management always seemed to be an issue here. They were very rude, disrespectful and were prejudice. I understand in a workplace with high volume can be distracting, but I one time had to work 12 hours, and worked 6 before I got a break, by myself for the entire shift in a place where I'd get a good 20-40 customers an hour.
Pros
50% lunches
Cons
High mainenance, very high volume
Happiness at work is a win win.
Asst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 21, 2016
To be honest, I don't mind working hard, or working long hours. As long as I love what I'm doing and at the end of the day I can feel the satisfaction of making my job well done :)
Pros
None.
Cons
None.
Unprofessional New Owners
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCAugust 23, 2016
Very dirty and unprofessional management. Things were never fixed or replaced. Co-workers were usually wonderful. The job itself is pretty basic and great for entry level front liners.
Pros
Free Small Fry
Cons
No raises
Fun work experience with co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJune 5, 2016
Is a very fun workplace with the people you work with, they keep the place very lively. If you are new, you are treated a bit better, but after two weeks, you may end up getting screamed at.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Doesnt give enough work shifts
Very productive, always room to share beliefs and humor.
Food Prep, Clean Up, Closer, Opener, &Stocks (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2016
One of the Cleanest, and probably one of the best Jobs that I have ever worked at in my life, the Management is very good and I hope to find more like this!
Pros
Free Lunch(sometimes), extended hours(sometimes)
Fun workplace and good management.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
My first job I got as an immigrant. Typical busy fast-food place. Love the poutine. The management and the owner are great people to work with.
Good Place to work
Server/cook (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBApril 27, 2016
Good place to work. but can be very fast paced sometimes . but overall its not a bad place to start working. Sometimes gets chaotic when really busy, and there is a bit of lacking in co ordination, and management skills
Pros
free food
Cons
really physically demanding
Great place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 6, 2016
New York Fries is a great place to work, you get to meet all different kinds of people, it is a very hands on work environment, you have to be quick and adaptable.
Like working at New York Fries
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 20, 2016
I enjoyed the time I spent at NY Fries. I made new friends and got to experience what it was like having my first job which was quit enjoyable.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Food industry
Fast paced, required lots of commitment and motivation.
Frontliner (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 19, 2016
At New York Fries, I learned about food and safety as well as customer service. It gave me much experience with fryers and taught me about work place environments. My co-workers were very friendly and social, but also very dedicated to their job. Working there taught me to get my work done quick and thoroughly.
Pros
Free Food
Bad workplace, located in the heart of regent mall
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 9, 2015
Management was not the greatest waste was not something they liked to have happen there lots of things were going wrong at this establishment not a friendly workplace very minimal hours
Pros
50% off while working
Cons
Not many hours work weekends
My First Real Paying Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  SurreyAugust 28, 2015
I didn't work there for very long, they already had too many people working there when I started, it was just in the food court in the mall so you can imagine how tight it was with 6-7 people working at the same time in a space about the same size as a closet. I worked there for a month, and wasn't the only one who got let go. They basically did it by seniority, whoever worked there longest got to keep their jobs which was fair. I enjoyed it though, I worked with some great people and got some pretty good experience and learned a lot about customer service and the fast food industry. The manager had a really thick Russian accent and sometimes it was really hard to understand her. Other than that it was okay for my first job, only down side is I didn't work there for very long, but that was out of my control. I would've loved to stay.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Only working there for a short amount of time.

2.8