New York Fries Employee Reviews in Canada

Very productive, always room to share beliefs and humor.
Food Prep, Clean Up, Closer, Opener, &Stocks (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2016
One of the Cleanest, and probably one of the best Jobs that I have ever worked at in my life, the Management is very good and I hope to find more like this!
Pros
Free Lunch(sometimes), extended hours(sometimes)
Like working at New York Fries
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 20, 2016
I enjoyed the time I spent at NY Fries. I made new friends and got to experience what it was like having my first job which was quit enjoyable.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Food industry
Very strict, and non understanding
Fry cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONApril 7, 2016
As much as I enjoyed working with my co-workers management always seemed to be an issue here. They were very rude, disrespectful and were prejudice. I understand in a workplace with high volume can be distracting, but I one time had to work 12 hours, and worked 6 before I got a break, by myself for the entire shift in a place where I'd get a good 20-40 customers an hour.
Pros
50% lunches
Cons
High mainenance, very high volume
Fun workplace and good management.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
My first job I got as an immigrant. Typical busy fast-food place. Love the poutine. The management and the owner are great people to work with.
Happiness at work is a win win.
Asst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 21, 2016
To be honest, I don't mind working hard, or working long hours. As long as I love what I'm doing and at the end of the day I can feel the satisfaction of making my job well done :)
Pros
None.
Cons
None.
New York Fries
Fry Cook, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I haven't worked at this establishment since I was in grade 12 but if I remember correctly it was a very good job. I learned how to cook fries and prepare them with the potato slicer. My co-workers and management were very nice and were reasonable when it came to working around my school schedule. The hardest part of this job was just getting used to having a job since this was my real first one. The most enjoyable was getting to learn how different places run, prepare food, cut up potatoes, meet new people etc.
Pros
Discounted lunches, the people
Cons
lost the job
OK place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 5, 2016
Great employee discount. Typical day at work, cut and cook potatoes from scratch and prepare sauces and veggies for service. Some nice co-workers and OK management. But very little advancement in this company!
An Effective working environment to establish basic skills to further my knowledge and experience within the food industry.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Overall my past and continuing experience at New York Fries has influenced my work ethics in becoming the responsible and reliable employee I am today. I have learned to multitask between customer service and service efficiency to provide the best overall customer satisfaction. There has been obstacles faced throughout my two years of work experience that has led me to deal with conflicts respectively and responsibly.Due to my ability to learn quickly and apply my knowledge to my workplace to achieve workplace goals, I was quickly promoted to Supervisor. This responsibility taught me the desired traits a leader should attain to properly and professionally instruct their employees to work efficiently.
Fast paced, required lots of commitment and motivation.
Frontliner (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 19, 2016
At New York Fries, I learned about food and safety as well as customer service. It gave me much experience with fryers and taught me about work place environments. My co-workers were very friendly and social, but also very dedicated to their job. Working there taught me to get my work done quick and thoroughly.
Pros
Free Food
Bad workplace, located in the heart of regent mall
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 9, 2015
Management was not the greatest waste was not something they liked to have happen there lots of things were going wrong at this establishment not a friendly workplace very minimal hours
Pros
50% off while working
Cons
Not many hours work weekends
everything
Cashier Team Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONNovember 2, 2015
amazing for students , boss is nice and reasonable , flexible hours , amazing discounts , vacation time, co workers are amazing , fun place to work , always enjoyed showing up to work here
new york fires good
Cashier / Cooking / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  sault ste marie ontarioOctober 19, 2015
typical day at work is fun and entreating. fun to take peoples orders and do the daily cleaning and stuff, to keep busy and keep the store clean.
learning how to communicate better with others
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 17, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my coworkers and learning from them.
Pretty well rounded workplace.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 28, 2015
Honestly, this was probably the best place for me to work part time while attending school. They're incredibly flexible with hours and the job is relatively easy once you get into the swing of things. Christmas is crazy, but totally worth it as you really get to understand the job, as well as learn to maintain a clean and stocked store while handling customers. I honestly feel so prepared for any other retail job I'm going to have within the next few years.
Pros
Staff incentives, supervisor camping trips, tubing for all staff members, christmas presents (varies by store)
My First Real Paying Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  SurreyAugust 28, 2015
I didn't work there for very long, they already had too many people working there when I started, it was just in the food court in the mall so you can imagine how tight it was with 6-7 people working at the same time in a space about the same size as a closet. I worked there for a month, and wasn't the only one who got let go. They basically did it by seniority, whoever worked there longest got to keep their jobs which was fair. I enjoyed it though, I worked with some great people and got some pretty good experience and learned a lot about customer service and the fast food industry. The manager had a really thick Russian accent and sometimes it was really hard to understand her. Other than that it was okay for my first job, only down side is I didn't work there for very long, but that was out of my control. I would've loved to stay.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Only working there for a short amount of time.
Cook (Former Employee) –  cornwall ontarioJuly 16, 2015
A day at work goes by slowly if your working alone. You have to make sure everything is clean and stocked, making sure our customers are happy with what they are eating. giving small samples out so they can try it before they buy it.
I learned more customer service, also how to deposit a large amount of money in the bank. my co-workers were amazing to work with! I love meeting new people!
Pros
making our customers smile
Cons
working alone
Good for a starter job
Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 19, 2015
This job can be okay but it can get stressful quick. You have to do so many things for so little time. You serve customers, stock items, prepare the food, clean the store etc. You learn how to multitask really well in this job.

Management is okay I guess. Some managers are nice, some are too stiff. You will get yelled at for pointless things and mistakes so expect it. You also will never get your desired hours. Always never enough. The most I've worked was about 25 scheduled hours as a supervisor. Every position except the manager is part time so it does suck for a summer job.

The only thing I like was that it's in the mall so you meet a lot of cool people who come by regularly and also see your friends sometimes. It's a very social job.
Pros
Free food and drinks
Cons
Limited hours
Long hours on your feet
Front-line Employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 19, 2015
Took long to train me, got burnt a couple times, had to do dishes, make fries, gravy, cheese sauce, and prepare things to order. The people were great there though
learned new skills
Cashier/Customer Service/cook (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 14, 2015
Starting with the first job in New York Fries is a good experience for overall personality bit hard but enjoyable, learned new cooking skills, learned to communicate more confidently, improved customer service. Supportive and friendly co-workers, learned to work in a team. Everything is enjoyable starting from cooking to cleaning but my favourite part is attending the customers.Working on till as cashier helped me to improve my communication skills and also helped us in to know a glimpse of what customers think about the store.
Pros
friendly approach towards all employees by the manager
Cons
less hours
Good job for starting in the work industry
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2015
Working at NYF (New York Fries) feels like any other fast food chain. Days are spent normally serving customers or cleaning but mostly cleaning if the business days are slow. I have learned money managing skills, communication skills, and team management. Management is okay considering the general manager hasn't changed in years however store managers tend to change around frequently. In terms of co-workers and staff, management tends to hire people that work well together and can get along swimmingly. I can consider a few as very close friends. The hardest part about being a supervisor at NYF would have to be the customer complaints. You simply are not able to satisfy some people no matter how hard you try but your job forces you to try and please these people who verbally abuse you and your workers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is satisfying our customers. The job would feel a lot better if we got more appreciation for all of our hard work. Overall I feel like this job gives you a good taste of the working industry and gives you good skills to use later in life.
Pros
Free lunches, semi-flexible hours
Cons
Hours are not guaranteed unless you're a store manager.