New Balance

New Balance Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hard work, not secure
PRODUCTION OPERATIVE (Former Employee), Workington, ENGOctober 9, 2014
Good company to work for but wasn't a secure position
Had to meet strict timescales.
Work life balance was the most enjoyable part - being off from Friday to Sunday.
Independently owned fun and productive workplace
Director of New Media/Public Relations (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahOctober 5, 2014
Pros: productive teamwork, fun and rewarding work opportunities
Cons: no healthcare options
As the director of new media and public relations, a typical day required the ability to work on a variety of in depth and diverse projects- including event coordinating, communication, advertisement, social media, marketing and public relations. I learned a lot about how an independently owned business functions, and how to properly multitask large – more... projects. While on the job, I had the opportunity to develop my customer service skills and create fundraisers/events. The CEO was my direct supervisor. He delegated tasks to me, and gave me the creative freedom to execute our projects. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied clients/customers, although, in the end we were always able to resolve any issues presented. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to work hands on with the community. Working to build a fundraiser for a good cause was always incredible rewarding. – less
Wont be around long
Developer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 5, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: management and the smiley faced fake hr manager.
Corporate is moving the st louis office to Boston in the next few years. It's a terrible place anyway. Management is bad, HR is bad, way you're treated is bad.
Great team of knowledgeable staff
Key Holder (Former Employee), Pasadena, CASeptember 5, 2014
I would start each day by checking the daily sales goals and seeing if we were on track to reach the goal of the day. All associates were given tasks throughout the day such as prepping new merchandise for the floor, replenishing socks and insoles, or daily cleaning duties. The employees would have to complete these tasks while assisting the customers – more... throughout the day. All employees are rigorously trained on the different features of the products in order to guide the customer to what best fits his/her needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the camaraderie amongst the employees. We were quick to jump in and help out our fellow co-worker whenever necessary.

The most difficult part of the job definitely happened at the beginning of employment. The training process is extensive and there's a lot of information to learn about the shoes and other products, as well as the different foot problems the customers may have. After the first couple months when you fully understand everything the job is rather enjoyable. – less
Terribly run, inept management
Software Developer, Global Ecommerce Team (Former Employee), Sunset Hills, MOSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: the other employees were great, people were friendly
Cons: management was inept at best.
I worked in St. Louis on a software project.

like most people at this location I am leaving because they could not live up to their promises and because they cannot manage a software project. The stress level was super high for my team and I.

The project is failing because management will not support the team, they put inept people in charge of things – more... who were contractors and could care less if it succeeded and it was more than obvious they had no idea what they were doing, they just smooth talked and constantly said things like "don't worry it will just work out". Sane practices that are required for any project to succeed like communication with other teams and the business were non existent, requirements gathering were non existent, planning was non existent. They seemed to like to shoot from the hip and constantly fight fires. They were using no methodology but calling it agile, we even had retros with a few common themes at the end of every "sprint", usually asking for improvements in planning and requirements gathering, that were always ignored.

Management is great at not listening to people they hire or contract to be a functional expert in a particular field, instead they hire cronies who know nothing and then let them line their pockets and waste millions destroying projects. Another thing management is great at is after not listening to their employees.... problems leading to technical failures arise, management then blame the employees and team for their poor management and indecisiveness.

To top this all off, Headquarters in Boston could care less. They actively work against the other divisions and from all I could see are run about as effectively. Its no wonder they cant overtake the competition. – less
very clean and fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oxon Hill, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: one hour lunch breaks, fun work place
Cons: standing
everyday im greet by a fellow co-worker , I interact with people from all over the world ,I enjoy teaching them about our shoes
Fun place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAAugust 26, 2014
Assist customers with their purchases, whether its shoes, socks, clothing, etc
Fun Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 4, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
I Prepared day-to-day operations including Process payroll. I was responsible for Training Sales Associates on the Techniques and the operational side of the Company.
Enjoyable and fun atmosphere that helps people find the right pair of shoes for their overall health goals and needs.
Retail Sales (Current Employee), Rockwall, TXJuly 31, 2014
Pros: free lunches, laid back, fun atmosphere
Cons: pay, hours, can't take holidays/weekends off, not utilizing my level of education
A typical day at work is from 10am-7pm. Each morning starts out by opening the store and making sure everything is clean, presentable and up and running. Whenever someone enters the store, I like to treat them as if they were my best friend by making sure they get the proper pair of shoes and putting them through the entire foot analysis process. I – more... will start out by learning the purpose of buying the shoes, ask if they have any pain or health issues and then I size their feet using a measuring device. Next, I watch the customer walk to determine if he/she needs a stability shoe or a neutral cushioning shoe. The customer finishes the foot analysis by stepping on a device that projects exactly where they place all the pressure on their feet and provides orthotics and arch support recommendations. Lastly, the client tries on several pairs of shoes that I believe will benefit their needs and goals and has the final "say-so" in what shoe they would like to take home.

Through working with New Balance, I have learned much about retail and the importance of fitting someone in the right pair of shoes. I have come to understand the benefits of being thorough and going through the outlined processes in order to achieve a sale.

I am extremely grateful to have such great management. Both my manager and assistant manager truly care for their employees and work extremely hard as well. They set great examples on what it means to be a leader and the importance of knowing all the products. I enjoy working with my coworkers. We make a great team and often encourage each other and even help each other out when we need assistance or when they see that one of us is struggling.

The hardest part of my job is the pay that I receive as well as the hours. I have a bachelor's degree as well as working on my master's degree and working for New Balance doesn't truly allow me to utilize my education. I make $10 an hour and am looking to make a salary that meets the goals set for my family and the hours to spend quality time with my family. The most enjoyable part of my job is having a customer coming back to the store thanking us for our help and sharing their stories about how their back or feet no longer hurt because they were put in the right shoes. I also enjoy getting to meet so many different people and helping them find what they want and need so that they can leave happy with their purchases. – less
I wish I still worked there
Windows Support Consultant - Contractor (Former Employee), Brighton, MAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great work environment and team, encouraged to learn.
Cons: it was a contract and had to end.
Like my last review, please don't take the 1 star ratings in to account because it was also a contract.

I really wished I still worked at New Balance. But because it was a contract, that could not be the case. The team was very helpful informative, along side management. My understanding of IT only grew and expanded working for them. They let me work – more... with them and independently, allowing me to strengthen my skills. I was exposed to many different things. – less
Okay Job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: location
didn't learn much but the people where wonderful. It is a good position if you are looking to gain skills on a franchise level. However, moving up isn't easy because position are stagnant.
Poor management
Sales rep (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCJune 10, 2014
Pros: shoe discount
Cons: pretty much everything else
If your looking to stock up on cheap shoes and work for $10/hr with no professional advancement, this is your job. Management does a poor job of formally communicating with employees. For example; seasonal employees were not informed of their last day until they heard through the grapevine on that day that it would be their last. Managers are not accountable – more... for anything. Inconsistent hours. Hard work is not rewarded, but buddying up with managers is, even if you do a less than average job around the store. Very youthful which is not a bad thing but some employees are disrespectful, rude and unprofessional. You can find a better place to work! – less
bad environment, bad management
cashier, sales associate (Former Employee), destinApril 8, 2014
Pros: benefits and learned a lot. good place to start in retail
Cons: not enough employees per shift. bad management, pay and hours
The pay was low and the hours are horrible. Management shows favoritism and doesn't give enough hours even though they guarantee you a certain amount, you dont get them. Management is inconsistent with what they want from you. If you don't suck up to them you won't get anywhere. The other employees are mostly younger and full of drama.management tells – more... you one thing in your interview but once they hire you they change what they said. Upper management doesn't care about anything unless you play their game. – less
Great work enviroment
Temporary Picker (Former Employee), Lawrence, MAFebruary 20, 2014
If you like walking this is the place to be great place to work great people safe workplace
VERY PRODUCTIVE
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: great growing company
Cons: low hours
GREAT COMPANY, GOOD BUISNESS, LEARNED SUPERVISOR SKILLS, AND DUTIES, ALSO RECEIVED A BONUS EVERY MONTH.
Great Company to work for
Account Specialist (Current Employee), Brighton, MAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: growth opportunities. training. free product, training. mentor program
I have enjoyed working at this company. Management Team is very inspirational.

Great environment and people to work with. Motivated employees.
This is a nice start to get into retail part of the business
Associate (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAJanuary 7, 2014
I enjoy working there and getting to help people in another way besides managing a restaurant.
I am looking forward to moving my skill set into the retail industry.
Terrible
Management (Former Employee), St. Louis, MODecember 26, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything except for the bennifits
I thought this would be a great company. Management is terrible. Advancement doesn't exist unless you kiss a lot. Benefits are good. The only advice I can give is, if your normal and want to move up the ladder this job isn't for you. If you like to kiss a lot, you'll do great and go a little higher than the normal people who don't kiss it.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GANovember 5, 2013
As a sales associate at New Balance, I learned a lot about selling a quality product. With a company that has been competing in an industry that has been dominated by Nike, Reebok, and Adidas, they have found their niches within the shoe industry. One was standing behind their product which about 40% of their shoes are still created here within the – more... United States. Another was offering shoes not only in sizes that were hard to find in your typical store, but also offering those shoes in a great range of widths. – less
Best Company to work for
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), El Pasom TxOctober 25, 2013
Pros: far commute
Cons: great atmosphere
Excellent company, learned so much about every day retail. The Corporate team did a great job in coaching and developing

1 2 3

About New Balance

New Balance has a history of 100 years of enduring performance and is still running strong today. New Balance began as a Boston-based – Read more