Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
reliable and productive work place
track maintenace technicen (Former Employee), Peterborough, ENGJanuary 21, 2015
i had 10 good years working for network rail and in that time i learnt lots of skills and valuable experience,the job involved lots of physical work and safety critical team work.the most enjoyable part of the job was when we got the job finished within the allocated time and safely.
Very stressful.
Trackman (Former Employee), LondonJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: observational behaviour if you like the clinical aspect to it.
Cons: no one learns from their mistakes.
Just very glad I have nothing to with it no more. It's history and that's how it is going to be.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Construction Worker (Former Employee), Croydon, ENGJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
The company is fantastic. I was welcomed with open arms, I thought being student there would be a lot of pressure on me but my fellow colleges embraced and motivated me to do well for the week i was there.
network rail
Linesman (Former Employee), All overJanuary 12, 2015
Good place to work, long hours and away from home a lot but good money.
Enjoyable place to work
Signal and Telecoms Engineer (Former Employee), Cardiff Canton DepotJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: co worker
Cons: shifts
A extremely busy and demanding job.
I worked will with my co-workers
Hardest part of the job were the shifts.
The most enjoyable part was the demands and changes in the day to day job
Trackman
Trackman (Former Employee), DartfordDecember 30, 2014
Prior to attending University I worked for Network Rail as a Trackman, this involved maintenance work to ensure tracks were fully functional and repair work carried out. I worked as part of a team in order for this work to be carried out and it was very important that each member of the group knew their role as on most occasions we would work around live track and it was extremely important that health and safety regulations were followed. Part of the work at Network Rail involved emergency work and weekend work to fulfil engineering work assignments. As my work at Network Rail involved dangerous situations Health and Safety was a priority and courses were attended on a regular basis for Fire and Safety, basic first aid training and working around live track. I also completed Controller of Sight Safety (COSS) training which enabled me to be in charge of the ‘gang’ of track workers and the working area.
Notworkfail
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), LiverpoolDecember 8, 2014
Pros: pension scheme is good
Cons: long hours, boring and politics
It's long hours and you don't get paid for doing over time which you have to do. The management aren't that good especially if you need flexible hours. I was returned from maternity leave applied for family friendly policy for flexible working and was turned down 3 times. Impossible to have a life outside of the job. It can be boring as your walking around station all day. Pay isn't bad but your working a lot of hours for it.
Mobile/IT support
IT Helpdesk Advisor (Former Employee), CreweNovember 20, 2014
Supported IT and telecoms queries. Password resets and general service queries, focus on user satisfaction.
productive, learning skills
Signal Man (Former Employee), BroughNovember 4, 2014
Pros: during quiet time being ablee to do your own thing
Cons: being on your own can be quit hecktick at times
A typical day would be approx 9 hours. Controlling trains at a road crossing.
The learning skills are unique to Network Rail as safety is of paramount importance.
The management where very supportive in all aspects work and home.
Co-workers as you worked on your own but with the ability to communicate over internal and external phone systems.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being on your own and when things are quiet being able to read and enjoy the quietness.
Enjoyable place to work, great staff.
Work Experience (Former Employee), DerbyNovember 1, 2014
Pros: i got to help myself to snacks off the trolley
Cons: long hours due to being in there 9-4pm
Due to me being on work experience, i'd have my own desk and had to get through a series of CAD related activities by doing tutorials and trying to create parts of trains on the CAD based software. The staff were very friendly and helpful and would always assist me should i get stuck. The hardest part of the job was remembering how many sugars everyone took in their tea and coffee as i'd usually have to make approx 8 at a time.
Great team atmospher
Trainee technician (Former Employee), London, ENGOctober 24, 2014
All the locations i worked in had a great atmospher, really were part of a team
Section planner
section planner (Former Employee), york / hullOctober 19, 2014
Pros: men on the ground
Cons: long hours
Don't do it !!! They treat you like sh@@t !!! ...you could bend over backwards for them but they don't appreciate anything !!!
Great staff and location
HSQE Administrator, (Former Employee), Lichfield, StaffordshireOctober 19, 2014
Pros: creat comradship within the health & safety team
I used to keep the safe incident and accidents updated in SMIS (Safety Management Information System) and also record the hours our Contractors worked during each financial period.
Rewarding, flexible, comfortable
Field Resources Manager (Former Employee), West Midlands region based in Newport & BirminghamOctober 3, 2014
My first job after leaving school was with British Rail and I worked there for 18 years. Going back to work for Amey Rail/Network Rail was very comforting as I went back to work with friends and in an environment I knew.

Having carried out various jobs it was always a learning experience which was enjoyable but sometimes the travelling around the region was tiring.
Career
Signaller (Current Employee), teessideOctober 3, 2014
Responsible for controlling trains efficiently and safely, as well as liaising with a multi agency workforce to assure safe practices in which I am lead responsibility on all communications.
great job oportunities
Section Planner (Former Employee), ENGSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: great incentives with pension and holidays
Cons: addictive work environment
I never knew anything about the Railway industry when I was offered the role as Section Planner but with guidance from colleagues I learnt everything there was to know about the job and excelled in the role. I also planned for other areas and departments when required to cover sickness, holidays and open posts, I enjoyed my time with Network Rail as it gave me the chance to gain lots of skills to take with me in future roles. I had to be methodical, consistent and attention to detail as the role was safety critical and needed to be accurate as my role was providing safety packs for colleagues to work on the track with trains running. It made the role more intense and rewarding knowing I had such responsibilities. Management were approachable and building good communications between other departments was essential.
Good to work for
Part time Administrator (Former Employee), Derby, ENGSeptember 22, 2014
This was a temporary posting covering maternity leave. I found staff pleasant and helpful and a great place to work.
Good to be a part of such a big company.
S&T Technician (Current Employee), Leicester, ENGSeptember 21, 2014
Enjoying my time with Network Rail so far.

The Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme has proven to be a great start in what I hope will be a long career within the rail industry.
Fun Workplace
Apprenticeship (Former Employee), ScunthorpeSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
I enjoyed my time here it was a shame it moved so i couldnt get there
Project Manager (Former Employee), London/MKAugust 14, 2014
Good hours, good work, reasonable pay.
Difficult to understand the direction of the business.

1 2 3 4 5

About Network Rail

Network Rail Infrastructure, through subsidiary Network Rail, owns, manages, and maintains 21,000 miles of track and 40,000 bridges – Read more