Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Mobile/IT support
IT Helpdesk Advisor (Former Employee), CreweNovember 20, 2014
Supported IT and telecoms queries. Password resets and general service queries, focus on user satisfaction.
productive, learning skills
Signal Man (Former Employee), BroughNovember 4, 2014
Pros: during quiet time being ablee to do your own thing
Cons: being on your own can be quit hecktick at times
A typical day would be approx 9 hours. Controlling trains at a road crossing.
The learning skills are unique to Network Rail as safety is of paramount importance.
The management where very supportive in all aspects work and home.
Co-workers as you worked on your own but with the ability to communicate over internal and external phone systems.
The most – more... enjoyable part of the job is being on your own and when things are quiet being able to read and enjoy the quietness. – less
Enjoyable place to work, great staff.
Work Experience (Former Employee), DerbyNovember 1, 2014
Pros: i got to help myself to snacks off the trolley
Cons: long hours due to being in there 9-4pm
Due to me being on work experience, i'd have my own desk and had to get through a series of CAD related activities by doing tutorials and trying to create parts of trains on the CAD based software. The staff were very friendly and helpful and would always assist me should i get stuck. The hardest part of the job was remembering how many sugars everyone – more... took in their tea and coffee as i'd usually have to make approx 8 at a time. – less
Great team atmospher
Trainee technician (Former Employee), London, ENGOctober 24, 2014
All the locations i worked in had a great atmospher, really were part of a team
Section planner
section planner (Former Employee), york / hullOctober 19, 2014
Pros: men on the ground
Cons: long hours
Don't do it !!! They treat you like sh@@t !!! ...you could bend over backwards for them but they don't appreciate anything !!!
Great staff and location
HSQE Administrator, (Former Employee), Lichfield, StaffordshireOctober 19, 2014
Pros: creat comradship within the health & safety team
I used to keep the safe incident and accidents updated in SMIS (Safety Management Information System) and also record the hours our Contractors worked during each financial period.
Rewarding, flexible, comfortable
Field Resources Manager (Former Employee), West Midlands region based in Newport & BirminghamOctober 3, 2014
My first job after leaving school was with British Rail and I worked there for 18 years. Going back to work for Amey Rail/Network Rail was very comforting as I went back to work with friends and in an environment I knew.

Having carried out various jobs it was always a learning experience which was enjoyable but sometimes the travelling around the region – more... was tiring. – less
Career
Signaller (Current Employee), teessideOctober 3, 2014
Responsible for controlling trains efficiently and safely, as well as liaising with a multi agency workforce to assure safe practices in which I am lead responsibility on all communications.
great job oportunities
Section Planner (Former Employee), ENGSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: great incentives with pension and holidays
Cons: addictive work environment
I never knew anything about the Railway industry when I was offered the role as Section Planner but with guidance from colleagues I learnt everything there was to know about the job and excelled in the role. I also planned for other areas and departments when required to cover sickness, holidays and open posts, I enjoyed my time with Network Rail as – more... it gave me the chance to gain lots of skills to take with me in future roles. I had to be methodical, consistent and attention to detail as the role was safety critical and needed to be accurate as my role was providing safety packs for colleagues to work on the track with trains running. It made the role more intense and rewarding knowing I had such responsibilities. Management were approachable and building good communications between other departments was essential. – less
Good to work for
Part time Administrator (Former Employee), Derby, ENGSeptember 22, 2014
This was a temporary posting covering maternity leave. I found staff pleasant and helpful and a great place to work.
Good to be a part of such a big company.
S&T Technician (Current Employee), Leicester, ENGSeptember 21, 2014
Enjoying my time with Network Rail so far.

The Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme has proven to be a great start in what I hope will be a long career within the rail industry.
Fun Workplace
Apprenticeship (Former Employee), ScunthorpeSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
I enjoyed my time here it was a shame it moved so i couldnt get there
Project Manager (Former Employee), London/MKAugust 14, 2014
Good hours, good work, reasonable pay.
Difficult to understand the direction of the business.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), londonAugust 6, 2014
dealing with difficult customers
meeting people
good expireance
Track Charge man (Former Employee), ashfordJuly 4, 2014
enjoyable physical I worked my way up to track chargeman I took redundancy due to job cuts at the time
Challenging environment to work within.
Project Management Assistant (Current Employee), Warrington, ENGJune 25, 2014
Pros: travel across the country. relaxed working environment.
Cons: management issues, continuous change to organisation structure.
I am currently looking for a new position due to recent and planned organisational change.

My current role is very challenging due to the technicalities of working within the rail industry and programmes continuously effected by issues out of our control such as possession/access issues.
Enjoyable but micro managed
Skivvy (Current Employee), newcastleJune 16, 2014
Pros: good salary, some great staff
Cons: long hours, poor rosters, higher managment, budgets
Although I enjoy my job and it is quite stressful, I currently feel that the higher managment do not trust their skilled employees and should back off and stop micro managing people. They should allow us to do our job that we are paid for.
Absolutely the best job
Travel Champion Volunteer (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGMay 30, 2014
Just floor walking the station helping customers all around, learned new ways to develop my customer service skills verbally. My teammates were fantastic though we had a grumpy few I met a few who I am still currently in contact with. Hardest part of the job was leaving to go home. I just didn't want to leave I really thoroughly enjoyed my job so much.
Everything – more... was enjoyable the cultural environment, the atmosphere was incredible and I was always busy.
I do wish to get back into the railway it is my dream hope job and its the best experience. – less
good old days
ultrasonic enginneer (Former Employee), Exeter, ENGMay 22, 2014
although i enjoyed my 22 years things have become more technical and suited to the younger generation.also todays health and safety makes work harder because of the restraints.
Infrastructure Projects
Project Engineer Track (Current Employee), Reading, Berkshire, UKMay 20, 2014
5 years on the Reading Station Area Redevelopment project - circa 75% of the trackwork is complete. Track over the new 1850m Elevated Railway to do August - sept '14, Westury Junction remodelling Dec '14, then looking for a change post-xmas. Learnt a vast amount about track renewals, station remodelling, civils & eathworks, depots, signals etc.

1 2 3 4 5

About Network Rail

Network Rail Infrastructure, through subsidiary Network Rail, owns, manages, and maintains 21,000 miles of track and 40,000 bridges – Read more