HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this position, please visit our career site http://www.nelson.com/careers - click on "Job Opportunities" and locate this opportunity online. Attach a current copy of your Resume and Cover Letter indicating salary expectations. Please note that only online applications will be accepted.
For a listing of all career opportunities within our organization, please visit our website at www.nelson.com
Nelson Education Ltd. is Canada’s leading educational publisher providing innovative products and solutions for learners of all ages. Nelson values and respects the life long learning continuum and dedicates its business efforts to the diverse learning needs of students and educators alike. In addition to its English language publishing, Nelson also supports French Language learning markets through Groupe Modulo, its Quebec based publishing business.
The Executive Director, Technology & Development assures the successful execution of the technology business strategy through the evaluation, development and deployment of learning platforms and product applications. The role compliments and supports the technology strategic planning activities of the business units and provides technical expertise and direction in the assessment and recommendations of technologies that support product requirements.
- Directs architectural and technical design & development of Nelson’s systems, platforms and products using best practices.
- Provides support in the strategic management of Nelson’s portfolio of online product programs and projects including oversight of online product portfolios and guidance to staff in their management of those portfolios – i.e. MyNelson platform; Cengage Learning platforms/products
- Provides strategic management of Nelson’s technology vendors to ensure vendor contributions are high value, high quality, timely delivered and cost effective. Works closely with Cengage Learning to leverage best practices, established vendor bases and protocols
- Provides functional, day-to-day leadership to project managers and product teams involving technology. Ensures that all projects are delivered on time and on budget with agreed upon scope according to a repeatable project management methodology
- Oversees expenditures relating to online product development and provides guidance and oversight for relevant technology budgets. Prepares requests for proposal, bid specifications and contract documents
- Provides guidance and expertise in the assessment of emerging technology platforms, competitive offerings, evolving technology trends and online product needs in order to maximize Nelson’s online product capabilities and offerings
- Conducts due diligence in the area of technology operations for pending acquisitions, 3rd party distribution agreements & partnerships
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, computer science or related field
- 7-10 years in technology development/technology solutions – i.e. domain expertise in software development; and/or learning management systems; and/or architecture development
- 5+ years staff management experience
- 5+ years’ experience creating and managing budgets
- Proven success in leading multiple, complex product development/technology projects
- Must be intimate with all aspects of project management – project estimation, planning, resource allocation, critical path methods, project monitoring and change management practices
- Significant understanding of web technology, including UI design, database design and integration requirements with enterprise business and ecommerce systems – experience with JAVA, BEA WebLogic/Tomcat, Oracle, MS SQL Server, XML/HTML
- Masters’ degree in business administration, computer science, or related field
- Basic understanding of publishing concepts, such as content acquisition, content creation, editing and data conversion
- Background in eLearning, Publishing, Education Technology industry or similar
- Highly analytical
- Highly collaborative – should embrace support and practice a collaborative style which goes beyond relationship building. S/he will achieve results with and through others
- Results oriented – ability to link decisions to business goals and will operate by keeping entire enterprise in mind
- Communication – possesses exceptional writing and verbal presentation skills enabling him/her to prepare and present information and recommendations to a broad and diverse audience, including peers, divisional teams, customers & executive management