Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work for.
Mortgage Underwriter III (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 24, 2012
I was in a position that served as subject matter expert on all Self Employed borrowers, exception request and more complex non-conforming and jumbo loans. I was the responsible for all inquiries from everybody starting from loan processors to senior management, A 10-12 hour day was a typical work day for my position because of the heavy volume. Because of my extensive years in mortgage lending, I have also been taked for training new UW's. I was a consistent awardee of sustained superior performance year after year. I accepted the early retirement option offered to eligible employees.
Pros
bonus, award incentives and excellent benefits
Cons
long hours due to heavy volume.
Productive and good training
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 22, 2015
Management and security expectations held high. Training was proficient, efficient, and usably outside the work place. Interacted with many kinds of people from all over the world.
Pros
Training and engagements with the members
Cons
Restrictions to what we can help members with.
Very interesting place to work
Memeber Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed meeting the different men and women from DOD . The different backgrounds and experiences they share is really interesting .In this job you really build a relationship with the members because they are trusting you with they're personal information . I always enjoyed working with my co workers we were like one big family, some were military wives some weren't. It was hard to get close to some of them because they may only be there for a short time . I really enjoyed being a teller/MSR because I gained a lot of knowledge in finance.
Pros
bonuses for great peromance and oppotunities for advancement
Would not recommend
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2014
Notice all of the bad reviews on here were from the Mortgage department, just read those as they are true I will add that they do not compare to how much you get paid for closed files at the other lenders... I will only state the facts:

Low base pay ($35k starting) and low annual bonus 2% to 6%
Do not get paid bip points on closed loans (paid by closed loan tiers for example 9 closed loans pays $50...)
Over whelming work load, 50 to 100 in the pipeline
Closing 10 to 30 loans per month (close this many with another lender and your making six figures...)
Processors are slow so a lot of closing are delayed
Mandatory overtime
On call until 9pm 365 days a year
Co workers are crying from the work load (literally)
No life/work balance
Low quality training
No management support
List goes on

The end
Pros
401k fully vested after 2 years
Cons
everything
Awesome place with great benefits
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 19, 2015
It is a great place to work. People are amazing and the benefits are wonderful. Was employed for almost 20 years when i had a family emergency and had to leave. Easy to work your way up the ladder. They care about your career goals.
Former Employee. Vienna VA
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 13, 2013
Navy federal Credit Union- Should be on the 100 worst place to work at.They treat contractors like if they were children no respect for there own employees. Navy Federal male managers give promotion to women who are young and cute but don't know what the heck there doing. Most of the managers instead of helping get there coworkers help they need they will be on the computer shopping. They make so much money and brag about but they can't afford to give more money. What company hires you after being a temp for years and instead of increase you will get decrease because u get health benefits. I have never heard of that. Every year they have a pip which it depends how much they make they will get a bonus. The contractors work just as hard and don't even get a thank you or a bonus. Navy Federal is the worst place to work and if anybody says different they lied
Cons
1 hour break for 15 hours work dsy

Comment – July 18, 2013

This is the same when I worked for the Navy for 10 years in DC, these young females with their skirts up to there and shirts down to there get all the promotions and advancements but the ones really doing the work get zip. Yep, been there, done that. I was laid off in 2010 and in all honesty, I miss not working for the Navy but I sure don't miss being a contractor.

Very professional environment with excellent pay and benefits
NFCU MOBILE DEPOSIT PROCESSING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 18, 2014
I had a great experience working at Navy Federal Credit Union. Would recommend this company to those who work hard and are willing to support others. Very professional environment.

* Typical day at work- managed Mobile Deposits

* Navy Federal created a culture of team building and unity

* Excllent benefits

* Compatable pay

* Promoted GREEN
Pros
everything
Cons
n/a
Fair
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 11, 2015
I know every location/branch is different, but the location I worked at was not a great experience. Management were too controlling and not easy to approach when dealing with issues. But, being part time, the job did allow me to finish my last 2 classes to obtain my MBA.
Cons
Hard to convert from part time to full time.
Wonderful and inspirational Environment
Service Continuity Intern (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 22, 2014
I have truly enjoyed my experience with Navy Federal. I believe it is a great company to work for and has exceptional benefit packages and work life balance. Some of the benefits I was inelligable for due to my intern status.

The best part of my job was my coworkers and the ability to work as a team, and individually on projects.

I have learned a fair amount about the IT department and am looking to persue my education within IT.
Review
bank teller (Former Employee) –  okinawa japanJuly 23, 2015
Navy Federal is a great company to work for with even greater opportunities for advancement. However, overseas management has no consistency in anything that they do whatsoever. Favoritism is often put to play here. Training can be botched due to the high turnover rate at times. Aside from that, I am sure that not every branch or region for that matter, operates in the same way.
Pros
great opportunity for advancement and great company president
Cons
horrible far east 1 management
It's a great place to have a family!
Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 1, 2015
Navy is very family oriented and will make sure that your family comes first. The compensation does suffer because of it but it's still a great company to work for but each team is different and management will be management; just do your research.
Pay and Benefits are great, but management sucks!
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 13, 2015
They pay really well and offer great benefits. However, I worked in 3 different departments and all of the managers/supervisors that I worked under were jerks. I actually enjoyed what I did, I just couldn't stand the micromanaging, the a**hole supervisors, and the time constraints.
Best Place I ever worked
Manager, Branch Office (Current Employee) –  Guantanamo Bay, CubaJanuary 7, 2016
I have learned so much about banking and serving those who serve us. I love the culture of Navy Federal and how well the company takes care of the employees.
Processing loans is an overwhelming task. You spend the day answering phone calls, email etc. Too many loans on one processor's desk.
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 15, 2015
I feel that the training is more than adequate and I will be forever greatful for the opportunity. There is just so much to do and not enough time in any give day to do it. The job responsibilities are just too much for one person. If things were split up a bit so the processors weren't as overwhelmed I would probably still be there. It is fulfilling work and they recognize every accomplishment.
Pros
Lot of perks, free lunches, they seem to feed you all the time, excellent resources ther are 2 gyms on campus and even Starbucks!, the money is great!
Cons
lots of hours
Very Stable Company
Equity Processor and Closer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 5, 2015
When I worked at NFCU I loved the company. I enjoyed my job and all of my co-workers. I processed Home Equity Loans at the time. My typical day consisted of collecting data from customers, scheduling closing, approving loans and closing loans. This was a one stop system that did everything at once. The hardest part of the job is when the market slowed down and there was not much work to do.
Pros
stable company, customer service, great benefits
Cons
compensation
Wonderful Environment
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 3, 2013
I loved the environment at Navy Federal, everyone was so professional and there was always something exciting going on whether it was a fund raiser, an appreciation day with sweet treats or even free shirts. Unfortunately I was hired as a contractor, no indication of it being brief based off of the work load and hours expected to work and 10 of us were all laid off Oct 1. I was in training with Navy Federal which was one of the things I loved most about the company. I learned a lot about customer service, phone etiquette, and how to assist loan officers on day to day tasks to help lower their work load so they could be more productive with their job.
Pros
gym
Productive and friendly atmosphere
Tax and Escrow Analysis (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 1, 2015
Fast paced and busy, Friendly atmosphere, Management is very supportive. Plenty of opportunity to excel in your career
Pros
onsite cafeteria, 401k excellent salary
Cons
parking
Great pay, just stressful no work life balance at all
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 27, 2015
NFCU means well but they over do it with requirements once you start the job. I got this kind of job in the contact center to avoid telemarketing jobs or having to be a sales person period, that's just not my thing. In which "GEM" (guiding and engaging members) is their substitute for being a salesman. Moving up is hard by meeting those requirements. Work life balance is terrible!
Pros
great pay
Cons
short breaks, work life balance
Fun place to work
Member Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 11, 2014
A typical day at work is working a 8 hour shift helping others with their financial needs and decisions. I've learned to put myself in their shoes when assisting. My coworkers are a great group of people I enjoy working with we get along fairly well. The hardest job is accuracy, not making any major mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the company reward us for doing a good job servicing their members, with company outings and events, bonuses, etc. .
Pros
catered lunch, comapny bonuses, company outings.
Cons
benefits offered
Long Hours
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCNovember 14, 2015
Very long hours. Most days worked until 7 pm and worked several Saturdays. It was a fun place to work, and build relationships with members