Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great working environment
Member Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA26 July 2016
I absolutely loved working here. They ladies I worked with were awesome. This was the a great experience and I learned so much. The training is intense, but it is all necessary. The employees are treated very well. Everyone has a chance to help with marketing and the community events are always fun.
Pros
NFCU takes care of the employees
Cons
I had to relocate
Fun workplace
Underwriter and Project Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 January 2016
I really enjoy working for navy federal. The staff I work with are very friendly! Company takes care of its employees and the management staff are there to help everyone meet their full potential.
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Navy federal credit union
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA2 October 2016
You are to help members calling in over the phone. Managment could be more supportive. A good job starting out, but it seems they give you less support the longer your there.
Complex and labored
Mortgage Loan Officer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 January 2016
Assisting a buyer close their home loan, makes my day & brings me enormous joy to know they own their home. With new TRID guidelines there needs to be more communication with all parties. Each day remained the same, lots of emails, phone calls, Pre-Approvals, Speaking with my processor regarding all live loans, Closing Disclosures to be Approved. There is always a list of items daily, which needs to be confirmed with all members and submit the loan for lending decision. Approx 20 - 40 emails to review at the start of my day, before I begin my day. I learned the majority of my experiences as a Mortgage Loan Officer with NFCU, each loan is unique in its own way, no 2 loans will ever be the same. There is never a dull moment. Management needs more assistance, as there is only Supervisor and Manager, and with 8 Loan officers, there is never enough time for them to get to all of our questions or issues as needed. It is always great when they can pull a miracle out of the hat. The hardest thing I feel is letting a member know that their application or purchase contract has been denied, due to unforseen circumstances. But that they can always start new, or they know what they can do to move towards being able to qualify to purchase a home. I have a great bunch of fellow co-workers that are in all different stages of the team, I do provide support and assist them as needed.
Pros
PIP, employee benefits
Cons
Not enough time, too much left to do
Navy Federal is a low stress work place.
Technical Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA19 September 2016
The Navy Federal Credit Union, is a great place to work and I have enjoyed my time working with Navy Federal professionals and learning software installs.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
No direction
Great Company with an Honorable Mission
Quantitative Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA8 September 2016
I greatly enjoyed my time as an intern at NFCU. My team members were very friendly and helpful. The company primarily serves military members and their families and takes pride in what they do.
Decent worklife
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA13 May 2016
Can be overly stressful at times. Management sometimes expects you to 'take you time' but get members out of your office within 5 minutes. Co-workers are great.
Pros
Coworkers and members.
Cons
Too many endless mandatory overtime hours required
Mortgage Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL9 September 2013
Salary and benefits are great; however, working in the Mortgage Dept. is very stressful and you will have no personal life. 5-10 hours of overtime were mandated the entire time I worked there; and, per management at the time I resigned, there was no relief in sight. Company continued to offer promotions on mortgages without having additional staff in place to meet demands. I feel they valued the numbers rather than the ability to satisfy borrowers by financing in a timely manner, and also more than their employees mental/physical health.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Too much overtime, no work/life balance
Navy Federal Credit Union is one of the best places to work.
Refinance and Mortgage Processor/ Closer Level III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA12 August 2015
Navy Federal offers their employees a career. There are a lot of incentives such as a competitive salaries, comprehensive medical/dental/vision benefits, retirement plans with employer match, award-winning training programs, professional development programs, tuition assistance, paid leave and work/life programs.
Pros
There benefits
very good culture/environment
Mortgage and Equity Counselor/Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA1 November 2015
Overall very good work environment. My previous experiences were with banks and not very good ones. After working for Navy FCU my perception about credit unions was totally different than banks. People at Navy were very friendly and cooperative. And very good learning and advancement opportunities as well. Benefits were good but salary was not so attractive.
Pros
good advancement opportunites, benefits
Cons
not so great salary
Great place to work.
CC/CL Lending Risk Analyst - Collections (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA29 August 2016
Great place to work. Enjoyable and fun environment. Our Pensacola location has all green eco buildings. We have been on the Top 100 list for years. YIPPIE!!
Great Place to Work
Equity Processor (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA14 January 2016
One of the best employers I have ever worked for. Benefits are absolutely amazing and the commute from any Northern VA, Maryland or DC location is amazing.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Ok
WebSphere System Admin (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VA11 April 2016
Not the company for challenging people. If you want the freedom you better not even consider. Low Pay period period. Low quality management. co-workers have low vision, no flexibility. most enjoyable part of is u have to think that you will not loose the job.
Don't do it
MSR (Former Employee) –  DIBERVILLE24 September 2015
The credit union itself is great but this branch is a major NO. The manager and Asst. Manager have issues like bipolar. The worst place I've work and I have done banking before. We went through 5 MSR representatives in matter of a few month and the manager had many complaints against her. When they run the portions of people getting money for referrals they work you like a dog and don't want to give any breaks or lunches. Some girls went almost 6 hours and no break. Beware of this branch she can't keep help.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Worst management ever
PRODUCTIVE WORK PLACE, POSITIVE, FUN PROJECTS TO GET TEAM MOTIVATED
Loan Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VA5 December 2013
TYPICAL DAY INVOLVED SELF MANAGING YOUR OWN MEMBERS SIMULTANEOUSLY AROUND, 80+, AND DEALING WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF PHONE CALLS.
LEARNED TEAM WORK AND TEAM MOTIVATION.
THE MOST ENOJYABLE PART OF THIS JOB WAS KNOWING HOW MANY THANKFUL MEMBERS WERE IN YOUR HANDS TO HELP WITH THEIR LOANS.
MOST DIFFICULT TASK WAS KEEPING A CONSTANT EXTREMELY ORGANIZED WORKSPACE, THIS IN TURN WENT HAND IN HAND WHEN DEALING WITH THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS AND MEMBERS TO MEET OUR QUOTA AND KEEP THE TEAM AT THE TOP.
Pros
BENEFITS PACKAGE, SELF MANAGEMENT
Cons
WORK LIFE BALANCE WAS LACKING, AS THERE WAS EXCESSIVE OVERTIME TO DEAL WITH THE ABUNDANCE OF APPLICATIONS.
Excellent place to work for.
Mortgage Underwriter III (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA24 September 2012
I was in a position that served as subject matter expert on all Self Employed borrowers, exception request and more complex non-conforming and jumbo loans. I was the responsible for all inquiries from everybody starting from loan processors to senior management, A 10-12 hour day was a typical work day for my position because of the heavy volume. Because of my extensive years in mortgage lending, I have also been taked for training new UW's. I was a consistent awardee of sustained superior performance year after year. I accepted the early retirement option offered to eligible employees.
Pros
bonus, award incentives and excellent benefits
Cons
long hours due to heavy volume.
Great Place to work
Designer and Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA15 April 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work with good benefits and lots of extras for the employees. They are very good at educating you so that you can find your future.
Pros
Discounts on local events, Gym
Cons
It's a great company to work for
Member Service Representative II - Consumer loan (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA1 October 2015
A lot of great benefits for employees. Professional work place with supportive management. Help you reach your career goal by providing training and classes
Great work environment
Member Service Rep I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL5 August 2016
Amazing company to work for with the best people in the world. I would recommend Navy Federal to anybody as a great employer and an incredible credit union.
Stability and benefits, but lacking innovation and creativity
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  VA22 January 2015
If looking for stability, they've never had a layoff. The benefits make it difficult to leave. The perks alone make it superior to most jobs out there. Where it lacks is in its culture of progressive thinking. There isn't much, and progressive thinkers will quickly find themselves feeling confined. The "way" is a standard and the practice is rarely challenged. It's perfect for someone looking for a place from which to retire, but not so much for someone looking for a challenge.

If I had to work there forever, I wouldn't mind. If I had to leave, I'd regard it as an opportunity in disguise. Having said that, I'd recommend it as a place to work for any/everyone I know.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Difficult to reach one's potential

4.2