Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Rockville MDJune 23, 2015
Great company to work for, been there for 7.5 years, now ready for a change.
Benefits are great as well as 401k.
Head Quarters is a great location to work, it has gym, food court etc.
PRODUCTIVE WORK PLACE, POSITIVE, FUN PROJECTS TO GET TEAM MOTIVATED
Loan Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 5, 2013
TYPICAL DAY INVOLVED SELF MANAGING YOUR OWN MEMBERS SIMULTANEOUSLY AROUND, 80+, AND DEALING WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF PHONE CALLS.
LEARNED TEAM WORK AND TEAM MOTIVATION.
THE MOST ENOJYABLE PART OF THIS JOB WAS KNOWING HOW MANY THANKFUL MEMBERS WERE IN YOUR HANDS TO HELP WITH THEIR LOANS.
MOST DIFFICULT TASK WAS KEEPING A CONSTANT EXTREMELY ORGANIZED WORKSPACE, THIS IN TURN WENT HAND IN HAND WHEN DEALING WITH THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS AND MEMBERS TO MEET OUR QUOTA AND KEEP THE TEAM AT THE TOP.
Pros
benefits package, self management
Cons
work life balance was lacking, as there was excessive overtime to deal with the abundance of applications.
Excellent place to work for.
Mortgage Underwriter III (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 24, 2012
I was in a position that served as subject matter expert on all Self Employed borrowers, exception request and more complex non-conforming and jumbo loans. I was the responsible for all inquiries from everybody starting from loan processors to senior management, A 10-12 hour day was a typical work day for my position because of the heavy volume. Because of my extensive years in mortgage lending, I have also been taked for training new UW's. I was a consistent awardee of sustained superior performance year after year. I accepted the early retirement option offered to eligible employees.
Pros
bonus, award incentives and excellent benefits
Cons
long hours due to heavy volume.
Great Company Model
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAApril 27, 2016
* Good managers make or break the environment
* The company model is very good.
* Takes great care of military members
* Needs more IT processes ( very manual system)
Would not recommend
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2014
Notice all of the bad reviews on here were from the Mortgage department, just read those as they are true I will add that they do not compare to how much you get paid for closed files at the other lenders... I will only state the facts:

Low base pay ($35k starting) and low annual bonus 2% to 6%
Do not get paid bip points on closed loans (paid by closed loan tiers for example 9 closed loans pays $50...)
Over whelming work load, 50 to 100 in the pipeline
Closing 10 to 30 loans per month (close this many with another lender and your making six figures...)
Processors are slow so a lot of closing are delayed
Mandatory overtime
On call until 9pm 365 days a year
Co workers are crying from the work load (literally)
No life/work balance
Low quality training
No management support
List goes on

The end
Pros
401k fully vested after 2 years
Cons
everything
Busy Call Center
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 13, 2015
I answered phones, assist members with questions or problems about their accounts. Transferred funds between accounts as requested, transferred calls to other departments as needed. I also opened savings and checking accounts as requested if individuals were qualified for membership.
Pros
employee incentive program, great benefits and job stability
Cons
short breaks and company did not close for major holidays.
Comfortable work environement
REGIONAL TRAINING INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 23, 2015
Having been at Navy Federal now for 5 years I feel that it is an overall good place to work. Especially if you work at Headquarters in Vienna, Va. They make it a very comfortable situation with all of the amenities, events, and perks that we receive being here.
Pros
Fun environment, lots of ammenities on campus
Cons
Pay not as compettitve as it should be based on area and cost of living
Former Employee. Vienna VA
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 13, 2013
Navy federal Credit Union- Should be on the 100 worst place to work at.They treat contractors like if they were children no respect for there own employees. Navy Federal male managers give promotion to women who are young and cute but don't know what the heck there doing. Most of the managers instead of helping get there coworkers help they need they will be on the computer shopping. They make so much money and brag about but they can't afford to give more money. What company hires you after being a temp for years and instead of increase you will get decrease because u get health benefits. I have never heard of that. Every year they have a pip which it depends how much they make they will get a bonus. The contractors work just as hard and don't even get a thank you or a bonus. Navy Federal is the worst place to work and if anybody says different they lied
Cons
1 hour break for 15 hours work dsy
remittance processor
Remittance Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  pensacola, flJune 11, 2015
I loved working here. They had amazing perks and had I not have moved out of the state I would still be working here. Great job!
benefits
Cons
times
Very professional environment with excellent pay and benefits
NFCU MOBILE DEPOSIT PROCESSING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 18, 2014
I had a great experience working at Navy Federal Credit Union. Would recommend this company to those who work hard and are willing to support others. Very professional environment.

* Typical day at work- managed Mobile Deposits

* Navy Federal created a culture of team building and unity

* Excllent benefits

* Compatable pay

* Promoted GREEN
Pros
everything
Cons
n/a
Wonderful Environment
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 3, 2013
I loved the environment at Navy Federal, everyone was so professional and there was always something exciting going on whether it was a fund raiser, an appreciation day with sweet treats or even free shirts. Unfortunately I was hired as a contractor, no indication of it being brief based off of the work load and hours expected to work and 10 of us were all laid off Oct 1. I was in training with Navy Federal which was one of the things I loved most about the company. I learned a lot about customer service, phone etiquette, and how to assist loan officers on day to day tasks to help lower their work load so they could be more productive with their job.
Pros
gym
Wonderful and inspirational Environment
Service Continuity Intern (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 22, 2014
I have truly enjoyed my experience with Navy Federal. I believe it is a great company to work for and has exceptional benefit packages and work life balance. Some of the benefits I was inelligable for due to my intern status.

The best part of my job was my coworkers and the ability to work as a team, and individually on projects.

I have learned a fair amount about the IT department and am looking to persue my education within IT.
Productive and good training
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 22, 2015
Management and security expectations held high. Training was proficient, efficient, and usably outside the work place. Interacted with many kinds of people from all over the world.
Pros
Training and engagements with the members
Cons
Restrictions to what we can help members with.
Awesome place with great benefits
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 19, 2015
It is a great place to work. People are amazing and the benefits are wonderful. Was employed for almost 20 years when i had a family emergency and had to leave. Easy to work your way up the ladder. They care about your career goals.
Very interesting place to work
Memeber Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belle Chasse, LAAugust 24, 2015
I enjoyed meeting the different men and women from DOD . The different backgrounds and experiences they share is really interesting .In this job you really build a relationship with the members because they are trusting you with they're personal information . I always enjoyed working with my co workers we were like one big family, some were military wives some weren't. It was hard to get close to some of them because they may only be there for a short time . I really enjoyed being a teller/MSR because I gained a lot of knowledge in finance.
Pros
bonuses for great peromance and oppotunities for advancement
Extremely busy environment trouble shooting servers and responding to customer help desk tickets
Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJuly 31, 2014
A typical day at work consist of monitoring the various application servers that provide communication functionality for our very large Call Center environment as well as other departments that we service. We trouble shoot major alarms on all of our applications that we are responsible for and if needed we contact the vendors if unusual occurrences take place that are out of the norm due to no intervention on our part. Our PBX team works together to achieve the common goal to maintain the standards stressed by NFCU.

The most challenging part is completing changes that are critical to reroute call volume traffic during sudden Inclement Weather conditions or other nature related occurrences. These changes must be completed in a timely manner and it is extremely important that they are accurate. I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
on-call hours
Just a number
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 19, 2014
I had worked for NFCU for 18 months. I was told it was a great place for advancement. Having come from a contact center environment from another bank I thought this was a great move.. Boy was I wrong... I blew my numbers away, even in training. I was a top performer and everyone there knew who I was, and what I was capable of.. It's not an easy job by any means, but I had years of experience. When I applied for promotions they offered me overnight shifts every time, which was impossible for me. Seemed that they had a sexist approach to promotion, from what I saw...They monitor everything very closely. To the point of questioning you why you were at the bathroom for so many minutes this day? What happened??Really?! They do not offer bereavement time.. Vacation time adds up a painful rate. Prepared to be chained to a desk most of the year so it can accumulate. Btw, if you need time off they need 30 days notice, or forget about it.. If your desperate for a job I guess it could work.. I would stay away! Run don't walk!
Pros
health benefits, gym, showers
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities, micro managing
Fun place to work
Member Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 11, 2014
A typical day at work is working a 8 hour shift helping others with their financial needs and decisions. I've learned to put myself in their shoes when assisting. My coworkers are a great group of people I enjoy working with we get along fairly well. The hardest job is accuracy, not making any major mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the company reward us for doing a good job servicing their members, with company outings and events, bonuses, etc. .
Pros
catered lunch, comapny bonuses, company outings.
Cons
benefits offered
Great Benefits and Great Pay But too Strict
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 21, 2014
This company is based off military regulations, so they pay well and their benefits are great but they micromanage everything. I learned to conform and never speak my mind from working at this job, as that you could lead to trouble. I also learned to use more courtesy words when speaking to others. I loved my coworkers, but my manager was unpleasant and never had anything positive to say to encourage us to do well, as we were told in training that they would do. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping members with their banking needs. The hardest part of the job is that they want everyone to be a perfect robot and you are scored on everything so the evaluations were hard because one word like "ok" or "sure" or "no problem" and you could lose 6-10 points on an evaluation.
Pros
free food sometimes, great pay and benefits, casual fun clothing days.
Cons
short breaks, military like strictness, expectations set too high to meet.
It's a great place to have a family!
Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 1, 2015
Navy is very family oriented and will make sure that your family comes first. The compensation does suffer because of it but it's still a great company to work for but each team is different and management will be management; just do your research.

4.2