Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

I would have to rate Navy Federal as the best job I've ever worked
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FL16 December 2015
I absolutely loved working for Navy Federal. They were a great company with excellent benefits. They always treated their employees with respect and I also had an excellent schedule. The customers wasn't always the best to handle but the job itself made up for any bad days. I really miss working for them
Pros
excellent benefits, great coworkers, awesome schedules, excellent pay
Cons
none that I can think of
Over the top micro-managing
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA24 June 2015
I worked there for almost 2 years and even though I received a ton of commendations and certificates for scoring over 100% on my phone evaluations, I was still terminated due to "incidentals." I am a single mom and have two children. They get sick, it happens, it's life.... but they don't care. It's also impossible to promote as they make it very difficult and its very competitive with new and seasoned employees. Horrible work/life balance as well. Abusive members and takes a psychological toll on you from both sides.
Pros
compensation is better than most
Cons
no personal time and they watch you like a hawk. Always get into trouble for something
very good culture/environment
Mortgage and Equity Counselor/Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA1 November 2015
Overall very good work environment. My previous experiences were with banks and not very good ones. After working for Navy FCU my perception about credit unions was totally different than banks. People at Navy were very friendly and cooperative. And very good learning and advancement opportunities as well. Benefits were good but salary was not so attractive.
Pros
good advancement opportunites, benefits
Cons
not so great salary
Very poor sick policy
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA14 March 2017
Need review on sick policy. Company does not seem to care about you or your familys health. Whether you miss 10 minutes or a whole day its basically the same as missing a full day.
Pros
Great bonus
Cons
Sick policy
Great Benefits but very demanding OT
Delenquincy Control Couselor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA4 May 2016
A typical day at work: Long hours and a lot of mandatory OT
What I learned: I learned to calm down irate members and how to resolve situations.
Management: Management is tricky especially when you are young. The managers in the "Collection Dept" only care about themselves.
Hardest Part of the Job: The 3 hour daily commute not including the crazy mandatory OT.
Most enjoyable part of the Job: Interacting with new individuals everyday.
Amazing place to work.
a Team Coach position (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA10 January 2017
This place is filled with very supportive people and is a great place to work. They truly care about their employees. It's hard to find a place that you actually want to get up and go to every day, NFCU is that place.
Great company
Mortgage Support Assistant (MSA) (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VA31 December 2016
Great company to work for. They value their employees and appreciate their hard work. Love going into work everyday. However, seeking for internship or part time opportunities right now.
Company is great; some poor management
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL3 December 2015
Navy Fed is an amazing company to work for. They have great pay and benefits, but believe me when I say... you really work for what you get. It takes a toll on you emotionally, which is a good route to learning structure and how to handle certain situations. There are members who will make you shake with anger or cry from frustration, but there are those who will take the time to appreciate you and compliment your efforts. You just literally have to be prepared for the unknown. Whatever schedule you get out of training, that's what you're stuck with until after your 6 month mark. You earn annual leave and sick leave with each paycheck, but be sure not to use it. Also, don't accidentally cross your supervisor. Make sure you follow hierarchy policies, even if it inconveniences the member you're speaking with; it could result in tension on a daily basis and huge disciplinary actions. You will be trained on the basics, but there is A LOT of on the job training, so be prepared and willing to continually learn. If you're a very family-oriented person, and needing a flexible schedule to accommodate them, this job isn't for you.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Stress
Fun workplace
Underwriter and Project Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 January 2016
I really enjoy working for navy federal. The staff I work with are very friendly! Company takes care of its employees and the management staff are there to help everyone meet their full potential.
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Only good if you can get off the floor
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA6 April 2016
Navy Federal loves to sell the fact that you can advance quickly - that is a load of bull. The ones who work the phones (entry level), are the ones who apply for better jobs. Interestingly, the older ones do not get hired as easily as the younger workers. Since so many do apply for one job, the chances of getting that job are tough. The younger you are, the better.

Being in the phones is exhausting and pressure to perform is constant 24/7. Turnover rates in some departments is very high. New employee classes every week.

You are measured on very metric imaginable and this effects whether or not you get a bonus in late January. If you call out, you will be forced to possibly take FMLA or you can get terminated. May the Lord help you at NFCU if you become sick - even for a day. You must tell them in three weeks notice about any medical issues/appointments.

Earning leave is also tough. For example, the first year you earn your hours. Ok, that is fair. I understand that. But, after your first anniversary there, you must still earn your hours. That is unlike any other place I worked for . Usually, your days off/hours are allotted after first year. Not so with NFCU. AND, if you take time off, you will be reprimanded if you go below a threshold of 32 hours. They want you to save that for emergency.

When I work there I feel like a circus elephant. Supervisors sit around or walk around even when call volumes are high - which is almost always. Anyone not on phones loves their job. If you can get off phones, you will like it. If not, well, you burn out FAST.
Pros
Benefits decent
Cons
All of the above
Great worrkplace for the modern young adult.
Remittance Processor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 3252328 July 2016
I highly recommend starting out here. It is a great place to work with great people and a great culture. Starting out is easy. They guide you as you develope. Work hard and you will get noticed.
Awesome!!
Delinquency Control Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL10 July 2016
This is the best job that I have ever had. They actually care about you and your life. They have a yearly bonus that you get based on your performance review. They have a Christmas bonus also. They have a variety of schedules to fit your life. Management is great also. The hourly pay rate is also good.
Complex and labored
Mortgage Loan Officer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 January 2016
Assisting a buyer close their home loan, makes my day & brings me enormous joy to know they own their home. With new TRID guidelines there needs to be more communication with all parties. Each day remained the same, lots of emails, phone calls, Pre-Approvals, Speaking with my processor regarding all live loans, Closing Disclosures to be Approved. There is always a list of items daily, which needs to be confirmed with all members and submit the loan for lending decision. Approx 20 - 40 emails to review at the start of my day, before I begin my day. I learned the majority of my experiences as a Mortgage Loan Officer with NFCU, each loan is unique in its own way, no 2 loans will ever be the same. There is never a dull moment. Management needs more assistance, as there is only Supervisor and Manager, and with 8 Loan officers, there is never enough time for them to get to all of our questions or issues as needed. It is always great when they can pull a miracle out of the hat. The hardest thing I feel is letting a member know that their application or purchase contract has been denied, due to unforseen circumstances. But that they can always start new, or they know what they can do to move towards being able to qualify to purchase a home. I have a great bunch of fellow co-workers that are in all different stages of the team, I do provide support and assist them as needed.
Pros
PIP, employee benefits
Cons
Not enough time, too much left to do
Very productive and fun place to work. Navy Federal offers a very competitve salary to employes
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Patuxent River, MD22 December 2016
Great pay and firendly co-workers, but I think the company may be too large. Training lacks and high turn over. Very productive and fun place to work. Na
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA24 January 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work and grow as an employee. They pay well and have awesome incentives and employee benefits. They also care about their members and empower their employees to make decisions and listen to how processes can be improved.
Pros
employee benefits, lots of locations
Cons
short breaks, limited leave time
Overall pretty great
Information Systems Development Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL14 October 2016
I enjoyed working at NFCU. I have worked in a couple different departments and can say the company culture is positively represented throughout most areas.
Bad management
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL3 December 2016
Not really a good company to work for...they hire anybody now..I would never leave a job to work for them again.they hire bad supervisors..the starting pay is really not worth it
Great Place
Team Coach-Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL15 March 2016
NFCU takes great care of their employees. They have great benefits. The mortgage department is also a great environment to work in.
Don't do it
MSR (Former Employee) –  DIBERVILLE24 September 2015
The credit union itself is great but this branch is a major NO. The manager and Asst. Manager have issues like bipolar. The worst place I've work and I have done banking before. We went through 5 MSR representatives in matter of a few month and the manager had many complaints against her. When they run the portions of people getting money for referrals they work you like a dog and don't want to give any breaks or lunches. Some girls went almost 6 hours and no break. Beware of this branch she can't keep help.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Worst management ever
Good company lots of perks
Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Texas1 December 2016
This is a great company to work for. They have alot of perks and really care about their people. The work is typical of most mortgage companies and there is a lot of room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2