Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Company is great; some poor management
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 3, 2015
Navy Fed is an amazing company to work for. They have great pay and benefits, but believe me when I say... you really work for what you get. It takes a toll on you emotionally, which is a good route to learning structure and how to handle certain situations. There are members who will make you shake with anger or cry from frustration, but there are those who will take the time to appreciate you and compliment your efforts. You just literally have to be prepared for the unknown. Whatever schedule you get out of training, that's what you're stuck with until after your 6 month mark. You earn annual leave and sick leave with each paycheck, but be sure not to use it. Also, don't accidentally cross your supervisor. Make sure you follow hierarchy policies, even if it inconveniences the member you're speaking with; it could result in tension on a daily basis and huge disciplinary actions. You will be trained on the basics, but there is A LOT of on the job training, so be prepared and willing to continually learn. If you're a very family-oriented person, and needing a flexible schedule to accommodate them, this job isn't for you.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Stress
Productive place to work
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 28, 2015
This company provided environment to work independently as well as with group. They have some facilities provided that let us refresh our self to motivate for the work.
Productive and good training
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 22, 2015
Management and security expectations held high. Training was proficient, efficient, and usably outside the work place. Interacted with many kinds of people from all over the world.
Pros
Training and engagements with the members
Cons
Restrictions to what we can help members with.
Long Hours
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCNovember 14, 2015
Very long hours. Most days worked until 7 pm and worked several Saturdays. It was a fun place to work, and build relationships with members
Supervisor, Branch Office (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NENovember 13, 2015
Best part of working at the Navy Federal Branch, the branch team and the Credit Union members. Wonderful way to support military and their families.
fun place to work
Corporate Marketing Representative II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 12, 2015
It is a great place to work love the people. I think it was a great learning experience. I think it will continue to grow. I appreciate everything I have learned from there. I think that there is a reason for why it is a top 100 company.
Pros
flexible
Fair
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 11, 2015
I know every location/branch is different, but the location I worked at was not a great experience. Management were too controlling and not easy to approach when dealing with issues. But, being part time, the job did allow me to finish my last 2 classes to obtain my MBA.
Cons
Hard to convert from part time to full time.
Great Workplace
Fraud Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 6, 2015
Excellent work environment with great management. The company shows appreciation for it's employees. The atmosphere is welcoming from day one and the training is helpful.
Member services
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 4, 2015
Working with all branches of the Military on a daily basis.

Went through intensive computer training designed solely for the credit union to handle Member banking.

Co-workers were wonderful to work with

Hardest part of the job was dealing with Members who were angry and frustrated.
very good culture/environment
Mortgage and Equity Counselor/Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 1, 2015
Overall very good work environment. My previous experiences were with banks and not very good ones. After working for Navy FCU my perception about credit unions was totally different than banks. People at Navy were very friendly and cooperative. And very good learning and advancement opportunities as well. Benefits were good but salary was not so attractive.
Pros
good advancement opportunites, benefits
Cons
not so great salary
Great Place to work
Member Service Representative II-MLO (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 22, 2015
Great branch management that ensured branch morale was always good. Not only about numbers but member satisfaction. Great opportunity to transfer to another branch.
Great Company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2015
Great company, love the member focus on military families. Great products and services are offered. Loved the fact they hired military families preferred.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life balance
Many learning experiences
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rota, ANOctober 15, 2015
Every week staff worked in a diffrent part of the business. From being a teller, greeter, to office duties. No two problems were the same with members. I learned a lot in the office area. Helped members with loans, helping with their finances to just fixing their debit cards.
Pros
Staff
Cons
No way to be promoted. Only because we are oversea.
Productive fun work place with emaculent facility and people.
Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 8, 2015
Get to work at 6AM and leave at 3PM. I learn how to be a leader and how to treat people with respect. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking advantage of all the amenities such as a pool, game room, nature trail and beach volley ball court.
Great Place to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 7, 2015
Compensation and benefits a plus. Great company to work for especially if you enjoy working with people. Co-workers are a nice bunch of people to work with. The most rewarding part of working for NFCU was helping members with their financial needs.
Account service with great peolpe
CONTACT CENTER ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  pensacola flaOctober 5, 2015
I was very well trained to handle a variety of financial needs for our currently serving, retired and family members of the United States Military. Balancing accounts, applications for new loans or credit cards, western unions and international bank wires.
My team members became family. We shared birthdays, celebrated accomplishments, encouraged each other and stood together to be recognized multiple times by not only NFCU but CUNA.
Pros
insurance
Cons
military payday always short handed of staff
It's a great company to work for
Member Service Representative II - Consumer loan (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAOctober 1, 2015
A lot of great benefits for employees. Professional work place with supportive management. Help you reach your career goal by providing training and classes
Good place to work for
Member Service Representative/ MLO (Former Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work consist of managing members accounts and providing the members with excellent customer service.
Great co workers, however extremely hard advancement opportunities.
Hardest part of the job is advancing to the next level. Best part is job security and great benefits.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Great benefits
Don't do it
MSR (Former Employee) –  DIBERVILLESeptember 24, 2015
The credit union itself is great but this branch is a major NO. The manager and Asst. Manager have issues like bipolar. The worst place I've work and I have done banking before. We went through 5 MSR representatives in matter of a few month and the manager had many complaints against her. When they run the portions of people getting money for referrals they work you like a dog and don't want to give any breaks or lunches. Some girls went almost 6 hours and no break. Beware of this branch she can't keep help.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Worst management ever
Great benefits
Security Fraud Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 21, 2015
Overall it is a great company to work for. Only issues I have are growth with the company is difficult due to high volume of applicants within and pay is not as high as other competitors banks.

4.2