Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Secure job with great beneffits
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA23 May 2016
If you're looking for job security, Navy Federal is a great place to work. They have never done any layoffs in the 8 years I've worked. Their benefits package is awesome as well.
Good company, but feel they discriminate against age.
Account Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA7 March 2016
A typical day in training involved arriving at 5pm and working until 1:30pm. The class was taught by people who were younger than most of the class. There were six people over 40 in the class. All who were pulled aside the second week into training and told that if their skills did not improve they could be terminated. It seemed they were pulled aside weekly and told the same thing. The trainers had no control of the class and while others finished assessments quickly, those who didn't had to deal with high level of noise while trying to concentrate. They tell you they don't want you to memorize anything but be able to navigate their system. Their system does not provide answers to all inquiries from members. Even trainers had a hard time determining answers at times. The Vice President visited the class one night to give her speech. I was not impressed by her. She did not seem professional at all. The most enjoyable part was getting to know class members, the hardest part was trying to concentrate knowing you have been threatened with termination.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Micro management, schedules and very stressful
Micro managing and expendable employees.
Closer/Funder (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL24 September 2016
Management was a joke. They let me go due to "cultural fit" in other words they did not like me. Great company, but serious problem with management, they do not try to explore other options for employees or try to focus on improving their career. They treat their temps extremely bad as well. Would not ever want to work here again.
Pros
Facility, gym, amenities, location
Cons
Parking, management, software, bad treatment of employees/temps
Great Workplace with Huge Potential Career Growth
Huge Potential for Career Growth
Great Benefits
Great Company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL18 May 2016
For those who are young and fit in, this is a great company to work for. Most of management and supervisors are young and in their 20's. The majority of those in contact center on the Gulf Coast are out of high school. If you fit in and upper management likes you, you are more likely to move up within the company. Some form opinions about others without knowing pertinent information. Based on what they perceive to be true instead of facts. A great company for the area, this is one of Forbes top 100 companies to work for in the United States. State of the art equipment and world star service for members and employees alike. Free classes to advance education and move up from within.
Pros
Continuing Education is encouraged
Cons
Poor work life balance
Fabulous Company
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OK7 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working for NFCU.
It's a fantastic company with many benefits such as health/wellness incentives, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Health/Wellness Incentives, bonuses, pay is great
Cons
work/life balance is difficult to find in the branch environment.
Great Place to work
Designer and Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA15 April 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work with good benefits and lots of extras for the employees. They are very good at educating you so that you can find your future.
Pros
Discounts on local events, Gym
Supervisor of Branch Operations
Supervisor of Branch Operations (Former Employee) –  Diberville, MS25 April 2016
Do not work here in management if you care about your family life. The first and only three months of my career here, I was thrown to the wolves. I was told hired on, Saturdays were rotated to once every three weeks between three managers. I worked every Saturday up until my last day. There is great training tools and web training available. The MSRs at my location were very nice and understanding during my time there. There were high turnover for the position I held and I can tell why. There is no compassion from the branch manager to any associates. It's strictly business. And if you do something wrong, it will never be forgotten. The feedback program is not accurate. It will asks for your immediate supervisor, which is not the branch manager, unless you're the assistant manager writing a review. So the actual root of the problem will never be addressed.
Pros
rewards, pay
Cons
management
4 positions into one.
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL29 November 2016
I was hired as a loan officer and found out over the course of a short few months I was not only a loan officer but I was also processing, underwriting, marketing and finally a mortgage loan officer. This position could be classified as a hybrid position and it's not for everyone.
Pros
Bank Hours
Cons
Micro Management
Great Benefits but very demanding OT
Delenquincy Control Couselor (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA4 May 2016
A typical day at work: Long hours and a lot of mandatory OT
What I learned: I learned to calm down irate members and how to resolve situations.
Management: Management is tricky especially when you are young. The managers in the "Collection Dept" only care about themselves.
Hardest Part of the Job: The 3 hour daily commute not including the crazy mandatory OT.
Most enjoyable part of the Job: Interacting with new individuals everyday.
Good working environment.
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WA18 January 2016
Most of the the work are repetitive but we always have something new to learn and always excited about the changes. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the management who act as boss not leader. Learning something new.
Pros
Benefits, Bonuses, Company outings.
Cons
favoritism
Only good if you can get off the floor
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA6 April 2016
Navy Federal loves to sell the fact that you can advance quickly - that is a load of bull. The ones who work the phones (entry level), are the ones who apply for better jobs. Interestingly, the older ones do not get hired as easily as the younger workers. Since so many do apply for one job, the chances of getting that job are tough. The younger you are, the better.

Being in the phones is exhausting and pressure to perform is constant 24/7. Turnover rates in some departments is very high. New employee classes every week.

You are measured on very metric imaginable and this effects whether or not you get a bonus in late January. If you call out, you will be forced to possibly take FMLA or you can get terminated. May the Lord help you at NFCU if you become sick - even for a day. You must tell them in three weeks notice about any medical issues/appointments.

Earning leave is also tough. For example, the first year you earn your hours. Ok, that is fair. I understand that. But, after your first anniversary there, you must still earn your hours. That is unlike any other place I worked for . Usually, your days off/hours are allotted after first year. Not so with NFCU. AND, if you take time off, you will be reprimanded if you go below a threshold of 32 hours. They want you to save that for emergency.

When I work there I feel like a circus elephant. Supervisors sit around or walk around even when call volumes are high - which is almost always. Anyone not on phones loves their job. If you can get off phones, you will like it. If not, well, you burn out FAST.
Pros
Benefits decent
Cons
All of the above
Great Place
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA18 November 2016
Great place to work. Really enjoyed the time working there. Days can be long depending on job. However work life balance is still a key for Navy Federal.
Awesome!!
Delinquency Control Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL10 July 2016
This is the best job that I have ever had. They actually care about you and your life. They have a yearly bonus that you get based on your performance review. They have a Christmas bonus also. They have a variety of schedules to fit your life. Management is great also. The hourly pay rate is also good.
Great Place
Team Coach-Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL15 March 2016
NFCU takes great care of their employees. They have great benefits. The mortgage department is also a great environment to work in.
Fun workplace
Underwriter and Project Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 January 2016
I really enjoy working for navy federal. The staff I work with are very friendly! Company takes care of its employees and the management staff are there to help everyone meet their full potential.
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
I would have to rate Navy Federal as the best job I've ever worked
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FL16 December 2015
I absolutely loved working for Navy Federal. They were a great company with excellent benefits. They always treated their employees with respect and I also had an excellent schedule. The customers wasn't always the best to handle but the job itself made up for any bad days. I really miss working for them
Pros
excellent benefits, great coworkers, awesome schedules, excellent pay
Cons
none that I can think of
Complex and labored
Mortgage Loan Officer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA30 January 2016
Assisting a buyer close their home loan, makes my day & brings me enormous joy to know they own their home. With new TRID guidelines there needs to be more communication with all parties. Each day remained the same, lots of emails, phone calls, Pre-Approvals, Speaking with my processor regarding all live loans, Closing Disclosures to be Approved. There is always a list of items daily, which needs to be confirmed with all members and submit the loan for lending decision. Approx 20 - 40 emails to review at the start of my day, before I begin my day. I learned the majority of my experiences as a Mortgage Loan Officer with NFCU, each loan is unique in its own way, no 2 loans will ever be the same. There is never a dull moment. Management needs more assistance, as there is only Supervisor and Manager, and with 8 Loan officers, there is never enough time for them to get to all of our questions or issues as needed. It is always great when they can pull a miracle out of the hat. The hardest thing I feel is letting a member know that their application or purchase contract has been denied, due to unforseen circumstances. But that they can always start new, or they know what they can do to move towards being able to qualify to purchase a home. I have a great bunch of fellow co-workers that are in all different stages of the team, I do provide support and assist them as needed.
Pros
PIP, employee benefits
Cons
Not enough time, too much left to do
Great worrkplace for the modern young adult.
Remittance Processor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 3252328 July 2016
I highly recommend starting out here. It is a great place to work with great people and a great culture. Starting out is easy. They guide you as you develope. Work hard and you will get noticed.
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA24 January 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work and grow as an employee. They pay well and have awesome incentives and employee benefits. They also care about their members and empower their employees to make decisions and listen to how processes can be improved.
Pros
employee benefits, lots of locations
Cons
short breaks, limited leave time

4.2