Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

The money is great but work/life balance is poor
Member Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL5 April 2017
Navy Federal pays extremely well especially for the pensacola area. Training was very thorough and if you had a question there was always someone you could ask. However, taking a day off was really difficult, they are super strict with attendance, and being on the phones all day every day repeating the same information got old for me quick. If I could have worked for them not on the phones all the time I think I would have been much happier there. Management was also an issue, it seems like everyone is just out for themselves and too busy trying to micromanage your every move to find something wrong.
Pros
Great pay, benefits are excellent, bonuses, easy to advance
Cons
Overworked, angry customers, management, stressful environment
Great benefits and career growth
Mortgage Loan Processor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL4 April 2017
This company has the best benefits and plenty of room for career growth. NFCU has competitive wages. The only thing that is difficult is work and personal life balance.
Workplace Environment
Member Service Representative and Teller (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA3 April 2017
A typical day at work consisted of me encountering different individuals, processing transactions of withdrawals, deposits, and transfers. Also auditing receipts from transactions that occurred, making sure vaults were balanced, making sure shelves and cabinets were stocked and trying to make each member leave with a pleasant experience by giving great customer service.

I learned how to handle my time more appropriately, how to be more understanding of people by understanding they're individuals, and the ins and outs of the banking industry and how to manage money more effectively.

Management altered frequently during my tenure with the company but I did build a few good relationships with members of the management team.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with peoples emotions, you had to learn to be more empathetic and sympathetic. Also handling cash with speed and efficiency was quite difficulty as well at first.

The most enjoyable part ironically is the fact that it is also the members. When you're feeling down sometimes they know what to do or say to brighten your day.
Experience
Vendor Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA30 March 2017
Navy federal was a good place to work. I enjoyed talking to customers and maintaining a happy friendly work environment. Awesome co workers. Some management sexist and racist, but if you can get past that all is well
Pays well
Mortgage Risk Examiner (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL27 March 2017
Management is unwilling to change with the times. Inflexible but pat themselves on the back at how great they are. The management team needs to move toward a more age multi-dimensional approach.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Old school mentality
Great Place to work
Mortgage Processor I (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 March 2017
Managements is very good and the pay is competitive to the market. Work life balance is great and the company wants that for all employees. Management listens to its employees and uses there suggestions to improve the company.
summary
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Georgia26 March 2017
Navy Federal has the best compensation/benefits I have had. However, it is very hard to move up. There is a lot opportunities within the company in other regions.
Pros
benefits, compensation, coworkers
Cons
advancement
WORST employer in Winchester
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA24 March 2017
The positions in the Call Center are like being held in a prison; you are treated unfairly even after working there several years, nothing matters to the management there, it is all based on favoritism.
Pros
the money is good
Cons
majority of calls are with members yelling at you
Great place to work with very helpful supervisors
Accounts Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA20 March 2017
This is a wonderful place to work. The training is amazing and the support of the administration is beyond compare. I was amazed at how much time they invest in training just on member service alone. That is their top priority is to provide the best possible member experience.
The Bank world
Receptionist and Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA20 March 2017
I worked in the mortgage side of the credit union, during the crash of 2008. The world changed, and so did the mortgage structure. It got harder to get a loan, and you weren't able to tell a member that they were declined. It was hard, but worth your time, because you were able to help more members than not.

Want to know more about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
Great employer for this area
Accounts Payable Technician (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL17 March 2017
Expansion of the Pensacola location has provided plenty of job and growth opportunities. The benefits and amenities are second to none in this area. A great place to work.
They take care of their employees
Senior Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD15 March 2017
Voted one of the best companies to work for, Navy Federal Credit Union provides great life / work balance and offer a variety of benefits to each employee. From 7% 401k matching to great leave programs.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Very competitive
Negative environment
Member Service Representative lll (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA15 March 2017
Extremely stressful working environment and poor management. Advancement is not considered by who is qualified for the job only happens for "favorites" or family members. If you are able to get an interview anyone rarely follows up to let you know if you got the job or give feedback and ignore your follow up requests. Wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends or family, just a paycheck not a career.
Pros
Yearly bonuses
Cons
Management, Advancement opportunities, micromanaged, extremely stressful environment
Very poor sick policy
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA14 March 2017
Need review on sick policy. Company does not seem to care about you or your familys health. Whether you miss 10 minutes or a whole day its basically the same as missing a full day.
Pros
Great bonus
Cons
Sick policy
Stressful Working Environment
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA8 March 2017
I don't recommend anybody to work here. Management is poor, and unless you are a "favorite" you will always get pushed to the side. They do not care about their employees. They are always looking for a reason to write you up.
Pros
Pay
Cons
To many to list
Great working environment
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL8 March 2017
This is a great place to work. There is plenty of opportunity. There are also great benefits and plenty of room for growth. I would recommend working here.
Great Benefits & Comensation; Horrible Management
MSR (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CA7 March 2017
Navy Federal's culture is amazing. The compensation and benefits are amazing. Their downfall is the MAJOR disconnect from the amazing culture portrayed in headquarters (Virginia, Florida, San Diego) to branch offices. If you work in branch office you are literally at the mercy of you branch manager who NFCU backs way too much. There is nobody to step in when there's major issues with dishonest managers. We were forced to work six day workweeks for years under a manager who talked to employees in such a negative way that our branch has had close to ten employees (most longtime nfcu employees) leave within a few years yet nobody steps in to correct the manager situation. Overall it is sad because NFCU is such a great place to work but if you get in a branch under poor management there is nobody that cares enough to assist with morale.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits
Cons
Branch Manager has all control
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA7 March 2017
Great Place to work. I have grown professionally at Navy Federal Credit Union. I have been under different management while with Navy Federal. I have felt that some have actually cared about my personal growth while others have not. The most enjoyable part about my job is the team aspect. The hardest part of my job is having to be available from 8:30am to 9pm every day of the week.
Fun and Rewarding Place to Work
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA7 March 2017
I love Navy Federal as a Company. They are very good to their employees. Down falls are taking time off can be difficult and your required to work a weekend day. Job can be stressful, VERY VERY busy call center. Little to no break between calls.
great growth opportunity
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL6 March 2017
The company shows appreciation by providing occasional lunches, dress-down days, and awards for various milestones. Management is always willing to listen and do what they can to solve any issue.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2