Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Best place to work!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA27 July 2017
Navy Federal Credit Union is the largest credit union in the world. Its size is not what makes this a great place to work, it is the products we support, the people that work here, and the simple fact that our members are our shareholders.
safe work
Information Services Department Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA25 July 2017
an awesome experience working with this company , their provided a great work plce and take good care of their employees. A good job wit lot of benefits.
Workplace Culture
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MD24 July 2017
Always concerned about employees and the pay is really . Sometimes the lack of considering work life balance can sometimes get lost. Would definitely recommend as a great place to work.
Pros
great pay
Cons
worklife balance
Good
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Radcliff, KY24 July 2017
Navy Federal Credit Union is a great company to work for, the particular branch I worked for needs work the management team was not on your side and were all about themselves and only looking out for them.
Excellent company needs to work on improving their diversity
Customer Service/Credit card specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA24 July 2017
Great mission statement but their supervisors are picked for high performance not interpersonal skills.
Easy job work environment horrible.
Like helping the military
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor work environment
MSR IV (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA23 July 2017
A good company to work for. Opportunities exist for advancement for the well qualified and diligent worker. Compensation is fair and the benefits are very good.
Great Beneifts and Perks
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MD23 July 2017
This company is absolutely wonderful. They care about there employees, and making sure your wok/life balance matters. Navy Federal is very divertible. If you do not advance with Navy Federal is because you don't want to advance.
Terrible Place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA21 July 2017
Come here only if your family works here. Then you're allowed to do whatever you want to whoever you want. Hostile work environment. Terrible management. No empowerful.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else including pay
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GA20 July 2017
Great work life balance. Management is really fair and leads by example. It's a company that encourages its employees to learn new skills so that they can advance their career withing the company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities within the branch
All about the members
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VA19 July 2017
The member is always put first. That is what all the products and services are based off of. The managers and the employees really have the members best interest at heart.
Loved the customer service environment
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leesville, LA19 July 2017
It was a very professional company to work for I thoroughly enjoyed the work environment. The staff was very professional and outgoing. I worked with the military and enjoyed meeting new customers from different areas daily.
Great benefits but stressful environment
MSR Mentor (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA15 July 2017
A typical day at work involves taking calls from members for assistance with their daily needs. I have learned a lot in regards to the banking procedures. The management there are friendly and are willing to assist as much as possible (in regards to whom I have had the pleasure of interacting with). The hardest part of the job I believe is when things stop working because it affects the employees and our members. This causes a lot of stress for the employees and our members understandably are affected. The other hard part of the job is with how big of a company it is, it's very hard to earn promotions. The most enjoyable part of the job are some of the people I've had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with. It is also such a great feeling knowing you've been able to help a member in a tough situation. Hearing their appreciation on the other end of the phone is a great feeling!
Pros
Insurance, Time off, Pay
Cons
Stress, Difficulty receiving promotions
Contractor - No Guidasnce on any of their products except from very busy PM
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Vienna and Herndon, VA15 July 2017
I was hired to do Technical Writing on process changes for the NFCU Mainframe system upgrade. The project was slow to get started so I was occupied with reviewing, editing, and distributing many sets of meeting minutes for meetings conducted by 3 PMs.

Then one day I was suddenly let go - yes, terminated - with no reasons given to me or to my Consulting firm which placed me there - the consulting firm I might add was and is very good to work with personnel-wise and all else e.g., responsiveness to issues.

BUT absolutely no warnings were given to me prior to termination. And again, no reason was offered by NFCU for my sudden at- the- end-of-the-day termination. No prior notice was given. When I tried to contact NFCU managers I was told I was not allowed to call there anymore - in very certain terms.

The people I worked with were very nice - management is a little different story - they are all so busy that they don't even have time to handle their own affairs much less pay attention an employee or contractor.

The first place I sat (NFCU indeed had space issues and were hiring people like mad) was in a very chilly former computer room - I was in this room for about 3.5 months - I had a osteo-arthritis painful knee problem develop due to the constant chill. Finally I was moved to another location and worked in a normal work area - not a computer room.

So I take issue with the fact that I thought I was doing just fine - but then was suddenly, without notice or reason - terminated. I would be wary of working at NFCU - while, yes, it is employee friendliy as a company,
  more... the behind the scenes work environment is a tense one.

I give the management 3 stars because the 3 PMs I worked with were wonderful. Executive HR management is just under a lot of pressure and therefore doesn't have time or space to deal with day to day issues.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Communication between, in my case, contractors and executive HR managers - not the PMs - they were great!
Do not be an intern
Fraud Internship (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA10 July 2017
They will make you do the job of people who get paid double what you earn and not get ANY benefits. Management does not what you to get a job, and will do everything they can to keep you as a intern so that they do not have to pay you more or train someone else to do your job.
Awesome
Debit Card Dispute/Fraud Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL9 July 2017
Absolutely wonderful company to work for. Really takes care of it's employees while taking even better care of it's members. With primarily 2 main campuses, the number of employees NFCU has is amazing. There is tremendous room for advancement and career growth.
Best Financial Institution
MSR/Teller (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NC1 July 2017
Navy Federal is the best financial institution i have ever seen. Working with them is wonderful if you can handle having no personal time. If you work for Navy federal you must live and breath Navy Federal. But overall a great company.
Company overview
MSR III/ CCO Fraud (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA23 June 2017
Great company to work for, they take care of their employees. Work day is pretty standard, 8 hrs a day. Hardest part of the job is getting cussed out
Pros
End of year bonus is great
Cons
Work/life balance needs to be worked out
Productive and team environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA23 June 2017
A normal day at work would be answering phone calls and assisting members with their questions either about their personal accounts, or our products and services. It always seemed that everyone was eager to help and eager to learn. I always enjoyed getting a pleasant person on the phone and how they would thank me for helping them. The worst part was getting a member who was upset and not being able to help them.
Pros
Great benefits, easy to advance within the company
Cons
very strict with attendance
Excellent Job Training
ACCOUNT SPECIALIST II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA23 June 2017
The job training is excellent. Very strict on time off. Your work time is monitored very closely. You have reviews often so you know where you are excelling or where you need improvement.
The worst.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA22 June 2017
This is the worst job I have ever worked at. You get paid lots of money however you put up with TERRIBLE people. First off the custumers that call in always have the worst attitude. You have to try and be nice while your getting screamed and cussed at over someones over draft fee. The work life balance is laughable. The shifts are absolutely terrible. Not to mention you are are required to work an weekend day. In order to get time off you have to ask five months in advance and even then if you are waitlisted its not guaranteed to be approved off. This was the by far the most stressful job I have ever had. The stress starts to cloud the pay check after a while. Stay away an keep your sanity.
Pros
Pay
Cons
EVERYTHING else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3