Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

I would have to rate Navy Federal as the best job I've ever worked
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLDecember 16, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Navy Federal. They were a great company with excellent benefits. They always treated their employees with respect and I also had an excellent schedule. The customers wasn't always the best to handle but the job itself made up for any bad days. I really miss working for them
Pros
excellent benefits, great coworkers, awesome schedules, excellent pay
Cons
none that I can think of
The best company to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJuly 5, 2016
Excellent training for the job.
Assistance and additional training as needed
Management and team members are always willing to offer help
Very friendly and safe work environment
Incentives and awards for a job well done
Pros
A company that goes above and beyind
Cons
None I found
Only good if you can get off the floor
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 6, 2016
Navy Federal loves to sell the fact that you can advance quickly - that is a load of bull. The ones who work the phones (entry level), are the ones who apply for better jobs. Interestingly, the older ones do not get hired as easily as the younger workers. Since so many do apply for one job, the chances of getting that job are tough. The younger you are, the better.

Being in the phones is exhausting and pressure to perform is constant 24/7. Turnover rates in some departments is very high. New employee classes every week.

You are measured on very metric imaginable and this effects whether or not you get a bonus in late January. If you call out, you will be forced to possibly take FMLA or you can get terminated. May the Lord help you at NFCU if you become sick - even for a day. You must tell them in three weeks notice about any medical issues/appointments.

Earning leave is also tough. For example, the first year you earn your hours. Ok, that is fair. I understand that. But, after your first anniversary there, you must still earn your hours. That is unlike any other place I worked for . Usually, your days off/hours are allotted after first year. Not so with NFCU. AND, if you take time off, you will be reprimanded if you go below a threshold of 32 hours. They want you to save that for emergency.

When I work there I feel like a circus elephant. Supervisors sit around or walk around even when call volumes are high - which is almost always. Anyone not on phones loves their job. If you can get off phones, you will like it. If not, well, you burn out FAST.
Pros
Benefits decent
Cons
All of the above
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 24, 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work and grow as an employee. They pay well and have awesome incentives and employee benefits. They also care about their members and empower their employees to make decisions and listen to how processes can be improved.
Pros
employee benefits, lots of locations
Cons
short breaks, limited leave time
Great Company with an Honorable Mission
Quantitative Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 8, 2016
I greatly enjoyed my time as an intern at NFCU. My team members were very friendly and helpful. The company primarily serves military members and their families and takes pride in what they do.
Company is great; some poor management
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 3, 2015
Navy Fed is an amazing company to work for. They have great pay and benefits, but believe me when I say... you really work for what you get. It takes a toll on you emotionally, which is a good route to learning structure and how to handle certain situations. There are members who will make you shake with anger or cry from frustration, but there are those who will take the time to appreciate you and compliment your efforts. You just literally have to be prepared for the unknown. Whatever schedule you get out of training, that's what you're stuck with until after your 6 month mark. You earn annual leave and sick leave with each paycheck, but be sure not to use it. Also, don't accidentally cross your supervisor. Make sure you follow hierarchy policies, even if it inconveniences the member you're speaking with; it could result in tension on a daily basis and huge disciplinary actions. You will be trained on the basics, but there is A LOT of on the job training, so be prepared and willing to continually learn. If you're a very family-oriented person, and needing a flexible schedule to accommodate them, this job isn't for you.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Stress
Great worrkplace for the modern young adult.
Remittance Processor II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32523July 28, 2016
I highly recommend starting out here. It is a great place to work with great people and a great culture. Starting out is easy. They guide you as you develope. Work hard and you will get noticed.
A decent place to work
Business Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 19, 2016
In most departments, you feel like you are working with family. Management is easy to get along with and people tend to stay a long time at their positions. This makes it hard to advance in the same department; however, there is still ways to move up through networking.
Pros
If you know the right people, you'll advance well.
Cons
If you are not well known, you may get stuck in one area.
Love it
CCO Consumer loan (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA 22180May 12, 2016
I love everything about this company , my bosses, coworkers, the customers. This is the nicest place with nicest people on earth that I've ever work with. And they're just down to earth so nice. If I didn't have to relocate due to family issues, I wouldn't leave. This is the kind of place and people that make you wanna stay for the job, and do more for the job.
Navy Federal is a low stress work place.
Technical Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VASeptember 19, 2016
The Navy Federal Credit Union, is a great place to work and I have enjoyed my time working with Navy Federal professionals and learning software installs.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
No direction
If you love customer interaction, this job is for you.
Loan Processor-MSR (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYJune 1, 2016
I've worked with NFCU for over 2 years now, and I love the overall culture and work environment. Of course there are some pros and cons but that's any job. But Navy Federal will make sure they compensate you for any bad days that you have.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
n/a
Excellent company to work for
Member Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 19, 2016
Rated in the Top 10 companies to work for by Forbes for many years. Excellent pay and they take great care of their employees. Was very sad to leave due to spouses work relocation and there being no branches in the local area.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ballston, VAJune 24, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job that i was able to witness first hand the excitement and the joy of the consumer when they were approved for that new auto loan, personal loan or credit card that they applied for.
Great place to work.
CC/CL Lending Risk Analyst - Collections (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAAugust 29, 2016
Great place to work. Enjoyable and fun environment. Our Pensacola location has all green eco buildings. We have been on the Top 100 list for years. YIPPIE!!
Great establishment where you can have fun and have a career.
Test Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 11, 2016
Navy Federal is a great company to work for. Excellent work environment with some amazing people. They don't just offer you a job, they offer you a career with great compensation and great benefits.
Mortgage Processor
Mortgage Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 21, 2016
Company was great to work for. Benefits were amazing. It was hard to balance the work life and personal life. Also, it was hard to make appointments and work
Great Benefits
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DC MetroJune 14, 2016
Navy Federal offers great benefits to their employees. They give vacation days to PT employees! Just make sure you ask about the management of whatever department in which you're applying. A manager can certainly make or break any job!
Great culture that treats employees very well
Supervisor, Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJuly 13, 2016
The company has great benefits and has an incredible culture. It is hard to find a better work environment. I would recommend working there to anyone.
Great work environment
Member Service Rep I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 5, 2016
Amazing company to work for with the best people in the world. I would recommend Navy Federal to anybody as a great employer and an incredible credit union.
I was sad to leave.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VASeptember 16, 2015
I can't say I enjoyed the actual job, but that wasn't the company's fault. I loved the company. Banking just wasn't for me.
Pros
great benefits, healthy work culture, room to grow
Cons
only 30 min lunch, long day, being on the teller line is maddening

4.2