Navy Federal Credit Union

Branch and Call Centers are both great places to work
Huge Potential for Career Growth
Great Benefits
Already did one.
Member Service Representative Account Services (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 21, 2016
I already did one for nfcu. but it took me back to this page. I did not want to do another so i typed about 20 words. So there.But this thing keeps telling me that i haven't reached 20 so here's another line.
A decent place to work
Business Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 19, 2016
In most departments, you feel like you are working with family. Management is easy to get along with and people tend to stay a long time at their positions. This makes it hard to advance in the same department; however, there is still ways to move up through networking.
Pros
If you know the right people, you'll advance well.
Cons
If you are not well known, you may get stuck in one area.
Member Service Representative/Vault Custodian (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2016
Depends on which branch location you work at. Training is fairly easy and interactive. The hardest part of the job is being consistent with members when they are being told one thing by other branches or over the phone via contact center.
Pros
Flexible leave, Training in all areas, Great Insurance
Great Place to work
Designer and Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 15, 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work with good benefits and lots of extras for the employees. They are very good at educating you so that you can find your future.
Pros
Discounts on local events, Gym
Cons
Mortgage production side of company has poor work/life balance.
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAApril 13, 2016
NFCU as a company is a great place to work if you are not in their call center or with their mortgage operations. Unfortunately, I was a loan officer there. During the interview, they show you the ping pong table and foosball table in the break room. What they don't tell you is that you will NEVER have time to play them. Or see your kids in the evenings for that matter.

If you are coming to NFCU for IT, finance/accounting, management, definitely come on in, benefits are excellent... but if you are in the mortgage industry, consider this your warning.
Pros
Work with a good group of people
Cons
Mortgage Supervisors/Management too concerned over their job security to care about you.
Ok
WebSphere System Admin (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 11, 2016
Not the company for challenging people. If you want the freedom you better not even consider. Low Pay period period. Low quality management. co-workers have low vision, no flexibility. most enjoyable part of is u have to think that you will not loose the job.
Only good if you can get off the floor
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 6, 2016
Navy Federal loves to sell the fact that you can advance quickly - that is a load of bull. The ones who work the phones (entry level), are the ones who apply for better jobs. Interestingly, the older ones do not get hired as easily as the younger workers. Since so many do apply for one job, the chances of getting that job are tough. The younger you are, the better.

Being in the phones is exhausting and pressure to perform is constant 24/7. Turnover rates in some departments is very high. New employee classes every week.

You are measured on very metric imaginable and this effects whether or not you get a bonus in late January. If you call out, you will be forced to possibly take FMLA or you can get terminated. May the Lord help you at NFCU if you become sick - even for a day. You must tell them in three weeks notice about any medical issues/appointments.

Earning leave is also tough. For example, the first year you earn your hours. Ok, that is fair. I understand that. But, after your first anniversary there, you must still earn your hours. That is unlike any other place I worked for . Usually, your days off/hours are allotted after first year. Not so with NFCU. AND, if you take time off, you will be reprimanded if you go below a threshold of 32 hours. They want you to save that for emergency.

When I work there I feel like a circus elephant. Supervisors sit around or walk around even when call volumes are high - which is almost always. Anyone not on phones loves their job. If you can get off phones, you will like it. If not, well, you burn out FAST.
Pros
Benefits decent
Cons
All of the above
A+ Company
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Stafford, VAMarch 29, 2016
A very great company to work for. A smooth flowing day with many opportunities to really help the members that come into your branch. Co-workers are really pleasant people and the leadership team is very helpful.
Supervisor - Mortgage Processing (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 27, 2016
I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union since December 2009. I started as a level one processor, and moved my way up through level two and level three. I was promoted to Mortgage Production Supervisor in July of 2013 for a purchase team. In December 2014 I was promoted to Supervisor of a refinance team, managing all of the above levels. The hands-on experience, range from being the number 1 processor in the entire Credit Union, with over 500 processors, to understanding the importance of maintaining a positive attitude in stressful situations, along with having the ability to quickly adapt to an ever changing environment. I have also been influential in promoting confidence and leading my teams to reach exceptional levels on all the Key Performance Indicators, while maintaining their service level agreement. The Key Performance Indicators include: booking loans within commitment, zero missed closings, exceptional member service, high conversion rates as well as zero RESPA/Pricing violations. This is a testament of my long time success at Navy Federal Credit Union.
Compensation and Benefits
Delinquent Control Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 21, 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work for. The benefits are great and advancement is good. It all depends on where you work at within the company. For me I did not like working in collections. I enjoy working with people face to face and not over the phone. It was not an exciting job to do, plus there was a lot of rude members who were delinquent.
Pros
working for a great company
Cons
long periods of sitting answering calls.
Teamwork Outstanding
Contact Center Card Fraud Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 19, 2016
12 years with NFCU, Awesome training, Awesome team, I have learned to be the Best of the Best, assist the member, communicate with team and upper authority. Go above to assist the member, the conversation with a member will be remembered to show Outstanding relations.
Pros
Bonus
Great Place
Team Coach-Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 15, 2016
NFCU takes great care of their employees. They have great benefits. The mortgage department is also a great environment to work in.
Account Resolution Specialist
Account Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 10, 2016
Navy Federal Credit Union is one of the best place to work, they have excellent employee benefits(401 K, paid vacation and sick leave, paid holiday. short and long term disability, job security, educational program. employee incentive.. Working with Navy Federal is very rewarding. I've learned a lot about people specially their financial situation. I handled escalated calls at Navy Federal, I listened and explained to my members about their accounts I find ways to accommodate their needs. I noted their account that member and I met an agreement, I've given my name and phone number to a lot of our members just for future reference. I love helping people and my coworkers are like my family outside home,
Fabulous Company
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKMarch 7, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working for NFCU.
It's a fantastic company with many benefits such as health/wellness incentives, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Health/Wellness Incentives, bonuses, pay is great
Cons
work/life balance is difficult to find in the branch environment.
Good company, but feel they discriminate against age.
Account Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 7, 2016
A typical day in training involved arriving at 5pm and working until 1:30pm. The class was taught by people who were younger than most of the class. There were six people over 40 in the class. All who were pulled aside the second week into training and told that if their skills did not improve they could be terminated. It seemed they were pulled aside weekly and told the same thing. The trainers had no control of the class and while others finished assessments quickly, those who didn't had to deal with high level of noise while trying to concentrate. They tell you they don't want you to memorize anything but be able to navigate their system. Their system does not provide answers to all inquiries from members. Even trainers had a hard time determining answers at times. The Vice President visited the class one night to give her speech. I was not impressed by her. She did not seem professional at all. The most enjoyable part was getting to know class members, the hardest part was trying to concentrate knowing you have been threatened with termination.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Micro management, schedules and very stressful
Good place to work, watch out for politics
Financial Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 3, 2016
I enjoy working here, but one must be very aware of the political undercurrents. Work hard, keep your head very low. Growing company provides plenty of opportunity.
Member Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  winchester, vaFebruary 24, 2016
Honestly the WORST company I have ever worked for. The only good coming out of the job was the compensation because you were making a good amount for living needs. As far as the job it is very boring and frustrating. Management has no idea what you will go through as a representative and watch every move you make. The management feels like it is a privelage to work there but it actually isn't. I lost contact with my family due to the hours to work and it is so hard to get time off for vacation. Making one mistake can cause you to loose your job despite the work you have put in before and everything you do is in the hand book so you can be fired for absolutely anything. Truthfully my experience with this company and the upper management was absolutely horrible and I do not reccommend anyone to apply here unless you don't mind always being on watch.
Great place to develop a career!
Consumer Loan Processor I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 23, 2016
At Navy Federal, you have many different career options, the ability to advance and leadership that encourages you to learn and move up in the company.
Pros
Cafeteria, Coffee Shop, Gym, Great Pay
Cons
Parking
Excellent benefits and pay, work/life balance is difficult
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 22, 2016
In this area, they are known as being one of if not the top employer for their benefits, pay, and upward mobility. All of these points are accurate and true. However, once one gets to a supervisor or management level, office politics and agendas prevent good work/life balance.
Pros
Insurance, benefits, employee assistance programs, gym, annual bonus
Cons
lack of support for some positions, management not walking the talk, office politics