Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Compensation
Member Service Representative, Loan Servicing (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL21 February 2018
Navy Federal is a great place to work for. Some times the job can be stressful but Navy Federal provides great compensation and perks to their employees
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks
Great Company with A Cafeteria, Sushi and Salad bar and full Gym
Delinquency Control Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL21 February 2018
Great management that advance team members for great performance. Work days was fast pasted with necessary help & tools for any issues. Employees were kept well informed. The hardest part was having members that couldn't pay due to terminal illness of children and being abandoned by husbands with nothing. I enjoyed being the well taken care of by the company.
Pros
Pet Insurance, great Discounts and benefits
Cons
lunch breaks was divided. my daily 1 hour commute to work.
Long work days
UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VA21 February 2018
Very long work hours. Work life balance is not balanced. Difficult to move up the management chain. Benefits and bonus are very good. CEO is awesome!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Favorites are promoted
Account Speicalist
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA17 February 2018
Responsible for providing technical support and project analysis on Visa/Master Cards. Reviewing recurring billing point of sales. The hardest part of the job was to make goal each day.
Amazing Opportunities
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL14 February 2018
Navy Federal's meteoric growth and employee first outlook truly made this company stand out as one of the best I've ever worked for. The people truly make all the difference in the world, with down to earth management, and an atmosphere and culture of respect. There are not enough good things to say about Navy Fed.
Pros
401K, Paid Leave, Affordable Insurance
Steady pace environment
Equity Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VA13 February 2018
As a Equity support assistant a typical day in mortgage would be copying appraisals, putting together equity packages or members who are interested in a mortgage loan for a home. Some members just interested in their account information. Also I would Filed transmittals which is information from members to later put with their appraisal folder file.
Pros
Good college money
Cons
Short term seasonal employment- college student
Great comapny
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MD11 February 2018
NFCU is great company with awesome benefits. They have flexible schedules and give great bonuses. Advancement can be easy but management favors certain employees and do not honor qualifications. I have a bachelor's degree applied for other positions in the office and got looked over by people with high school diplomas. Not even an interview offer just an email of non selection.
Loved working for Navy Federal!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Overseas10 February 2018
I was sad when we had to relocate and I couldn't continue my career with Navy Federal because I loved my job! It is truly a wonderful company to work for that values its employees and provides competitive incentives. You are cross trained to work through-out the branch allowing you to feel knowledgeable of everything going on around you. The culture is member focused and not driven by retail banking mentality that many financial institutions stress their employees with. So when your there your goal is to ensure that the members are receiving the best experience possible and getting the products and services that they are requesting. You will work with a team and collaborate to achieve many successes. My managers were professional and considerate. They strived to ensure we all felt empowered to make decisions based on our knowledge and judgement. The hardest part is getting a transfer as well as getting in the door for that matter. If I was able to go back tomorrow though, I would without question.
Pros
Benefits, hours, employee appreciation
Cons
Hard to get in, transferring isn't easy.
Over all review of my experience
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA10 February 2018
Over all the company had wonderful benefits, pay was good. The only issue I had was working on the phones. The members are rude, terrible and disrespectful. You had to be nice to them regardless. I have never worked at a call center before and that was my first time. Would NEVER do it again. That is the only reason I left. If there was a job off the phones I would be there in a heart beat. You can only take so much of someone yelling at you "what did you do with my money" "transfer me to someone who knows what they are doing" "why did you freeze my account" etc .... I still believe in the old rule, be nice to one another and have respect. I would be happy if they yelled then apologized for yelling.
I was in the hospital for chest pains and was out a few days. I had the doctors note, plus hospital note proving I was there. Received a verbal warning about missing days.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Members on the phone
Overall mismanaged with focus on company and not the employee
Contact Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA7 February 2018
Human resources does not handle employee issues, instead employee relations does. They pretend to be a confidential and supportive group but they aren't. They are there to protect NFCU from litigation for breaking employment and labor laws. They do not completely investigation employee complaints from both sides but deal punishment without speaking too the employee being punished. They hurry up and implement disciplinary action right before bonus time just to take it from employees. If you run the ER department your boyfriend is allowed to act inappropriately to other employees and its not considered harassment because it didn't happen at work.
Lies and slander are allowed because if the person didn't say it to your face, you're making it up. Management does not support supervisors, instead they are blamed for things like attrition and not "coaching to success". We are under our managements direction and have to follow orders but once that direction doesn't suit them they blame everyone else instead of taking ownership. Management does not "walk the walk" and is under so much stress from the VP management that they are only looking out for themselves. They have favorites and pit employees against each other.
Assistant mangers are allowed to act inappropriately and without any recourse, instead they move them to another department where they cause more discourse when they should be demoted or fired (like they do to other employees who are without a title for less).
Promotions do not go to those who deserve it. Its all about who you know.
Employees are coached to smile
  more... more when they walk through the hallways as the VPs want everyone to smile and kiss their behind when the entire place is oppressive. We are all micromanaged and must account for all of our actions, those of every employee, and when and where an employee is at, at all times.
Even if that employee is exceptional at what they do, the must have a goal to do better. They are budgeting our performance reviews and they don't allow a certain number of employees to receive better reviews as it costs the company money. Instead they down grade the employee but tell them to beat their performance from the year before if they want a better review, instead of following the set expectations for an employee in their position. The review effects the annual pay increase and bonus % paid out in January.
Health care providers in the area are on high alert when they have a patient from NFCU. Someone once said if they could vote NFCU would not be fortune 100 best places to work because of the way they treat employees. Management knows this and thinks its just doctors against NFCU. Educated professionals who have lived and worked in the area, who are experienced and work in all different fields, but how could other people/doctors see a negative trend in the community?
It's an abusive environment with little regard for the well being of the employee. The supervisors who care for their employees do not get recognized. The benefits aren't worth your mental health. Yes, men get paid more here, I've seen it. It's almost impossible to get a day off during the holidays or times for the company because they come first.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No work/life balance, abusive management, employee relations, and hr is a joke.

Want to know more about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
Great Place to work!
MSR (Member Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  Florida7 February 2018
Navy Federal is the best financial institution in the world and the best one to work for. Team members are like family. The benefits and pay are amazing.
Pros
friendly people who work there
Cons
work hours in the AM are rough
company as whole
Member Service Rep I (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL6 February 2018
Navy Federal, is more like a religous cult, everyone must follow their beliefs, but they do not. You have to belong to the certain clicks, also I truly believe they are age bias, they do not have many people 45-55, working for them, I understand they are looking for younger people that they hope will continue a path with them, but actually you are just a number.
Pros
insurance
Cons
everything, worse job i ever had
Great learning experience
Member Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA6 February 2018
This is not the easiest job that I have ever done, but it was a great learning experience. The pay and benefits are wonderful. Co workers were wonderful.
Great Place to work
Supervisor Branch Operations (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA5 February 2018
Regulatory Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA4 February 2018
This is an application for employment at Wells Fargo, a financial services competitor of NFCU. I was employed there for 15 years and they are well known for their member/customer service. Coming from that background, I feel I'm an ideal candidate for this position.
I still have nightmares about this place.
Training Media Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA2 February 2018
A bunch of overpaid retired military executives invented this position in collusion with Human Resources managers. From the very beginning, until my termination 14 years later, the managers overstuffed this job with so many disparate duties, it was impossible to focus, and, in the end, I was just plain worn out.

On the plus side, I did get paid leave, and stayed long enough to get a nice sum that has, with excellent money management, become my living wage, especially after my stroke in 2008, and my subsequent and continuing physical impairments.
Pros
some creative perks during some periods + ending annual $40, 000 salary
Cons
environment physically nice, but unfriendly and, ultimately, alienating
Monopoly
Member Service Representative-Contact Center (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL30 January 2018
It is an organization that if you are willing to choose work over family you will fit right in. Also, if you are a person who does not completely agree with them and their procedures, don't voice your opinion. It will be used against you.
GREAT Culture!
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL30 January 2018
I enjoy the culture here so much. They are so wonderful, flexible and all the management here have open door policies which makes life very easy. There is flex time, ability to work from home, you can take leave in accordance to your vacation/sick leave and you always have the chance to explore other job opportunities and expand your knowledge of the company as a whole!
Pros
Yearly bonus, constant free food provided for every holiday, special events, beach volleyball court, basketball court, track, 24/7 gym, and much more!
High intensity
Mortgage Closer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL29 January 2018
I absolutely loved my supervisors and team mates at Navy Federal, and the actual occupation wasn't terrible. But I found the work load to be over the top in order to "meet their standards". Had crazy expectations. It was "too" fast paced for me.
I was only a contractor so I was exempted from any benefits, don't ever go in as a contractor. Never worth it.
Pros
1 hour lunch and break, good rapport among team members, room to grow and advance
Cons
Very high work volume/stress
ASSISTANT TO VICE PRESIDENT OF OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA29 January 2018
Good place to work but very high turnover. I enjoyed my job and who I worked for but left for personal reasons. Navy Federal offers a lot of opportunities especially for young people.
Pros
Lots of employee perks
Cons
large turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Navy Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.