Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Member Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  winchester, vaFebruary 24, 2016
Honestly the WORST company I have ever worked for. The only good coming out of the job was the compensation because you were making a good amount for living needs. As far as the job it is very boring and frustrating. Management has no idea what you will go through as a representative and watch every move you make. The management feels like it is a privelage to work there but it actually isn't. I lost contact with my family due to the hours to work and it is so hard to get time off for vacation. Making one mistake can cause you to loose your job despite the work you have put in before and everything you do is in the hand book so you can be fired for absolutely anything. Truthfully my experience with this company and the upper management was absolutely horrible and I do not reccommend anyone to apply here unless you don't mind always being on watch.
Account Resolution Specialist
Account Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 10, 2016
Navy Federal Credit Union is one of the best place to work, they have excellent employee benefits(401 K, paid vacation and sick leave, paid holiday. short and long term disability, job security, educational program. employee incentive.. Working with Navy Federal is very rewarding. I've learned a lot about people specially their financial situation. I handled escalated calls at Navy Federal, I listened and explained to my members about their accounts I find ways to accommodate their needs. I noted their account that member and I met an agreement, I've given my name and phone number to a lot of our members just for future reference. I love helping people and my coworkers are like my family outside home,
Excellent benefits and pay, work/life balance is difficult
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 22, 2016
In this area, they are known as being one of if not the top employer for their benefits, pay, and upward mobility. All of these points are accurate and true. However, once one gets to a supervisor or management level, office politics and agendas prevent good work/life balance.
Pros
Insurance, benefits, employee assistance programs, gym, annual bonus
Cons
lack of support for some positions, management not walking the talk, office politics
Compensation and Benefits
Delinquent Control Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 21, 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work for. The benefits are great and advancement is good. It all depends on where you work at within the company. For me I did not like working in collections. I enjoy working with people face to face and not over the phone. It was not an exciting job to do, plus there was a lot of rude members who were delinquent.
Pros
working for a great company
Cons
long periods of sitting answering calls.
Good company, but feel they discriminate against age.
Account Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 7, 2016
A typical day in training involved arriving at 5pm and working until 1:30pm. The class was taught by people who were younger than most of the class. There were six people over 40 in the class. All who were pulled aside the second week into training and told that if their skills did not improve they could be terminated. It seemed they were pulled aside weekly and told the same thing. The trainers had no control of the class and while others finished assessments quickly, those who didn't had to deal with high level of noise while trying to concentrate. They tell you they don't want you to memorize anything but be able to navigate their system. Their system does not provide answers to all inquiries from members. Even trainers had a hard time determining answers at times. The Vice President visited the class one night to give her speech. I was not impressed by her. She did not seem professional at all. The most enjoyable part was getting to know class members, the hardest part was trying to concentrate knowing you have been threatened with termination.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Micro management, schedules and very stressful
Fabulous Company
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKMarch 7, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy working for NFCU.
It's a fantastic company with many benefits such as health/wellness incentives, bonuses, etc.
Pros
Health/Wellness Incentives, bonuses, pay is great
Cons
work/life balance is difficult to find in the branch environment.
Good working environment.
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAJanuary 18, 2016
Most of the the work are repetitive but we always have something new to learn and always excited about the changes. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the management who act as boss not leader. Learning something new.
Pros
Benefits, Bonuses, Company outings.
Cons
favoritism
Fun workplace
Underwriter and Project Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 26, 2016
I really enjoy working for navy federal. The staff I work with are very friendly! Company takes care of its employees and the management staff are there to help everyone meet their full potential.
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Complex and labored
Mortgage Loan Officer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2016
Assisting a buyer close their home loan, makes my day & brings me enormous joy to know they own their home. With new TRID guidelines there needs to be more communication with all parties. Each day remained the same, lots of emails, phone calls, Pre-Approvals, Speaking with my processor regarding all live loans, Closing Disclosures to be Approved. There is always a list of items daily, which needs to be confirmed with all members and submit the loan for lending decision. Approx 20 - 40 emails to review at the start of my day, before I begin my day. I learned the majority of my experiences as a Mortgage Loan Officer with NFCU, each loan is unique in its own way, no 2 loans will ever be the same. There is never a dull moment. Management needs more assistance, as there is only Supervisor and Manager, and with 8 Loan officers, there is never enough time for them to get to all of our questions or issues as needed. It is always great when they can pull a miracle out of the hat. The hardest thing I feel is letting a member know that their application or purchase contract has been denied, due to unforseen circumstances. But that they can always start new, or they know what they can do to move towards being able to qualify to purchase a home. I have a great bunch of fellow co-workers that are in all different stages of the team, I do provide support and assist them as needed.
Pros
PIP, employee benefits
Cons
Not enough time, too much left to do
I would have to rate Navy Federal as the best job I've ever worked
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cantonment, FLDecember 16, 2015
I absolutely loved working for Navy Federal. They were a great company with excellent benefits. They always treated their employees with respect and I also had an excellent schedule. The customers wasn't always the best to handle but the job itself made up for any bad days. I really miss working for them
Pros
excellent benefits, great coworkers, awesome schedules, excellent pay
Cons
none that I can think of
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 24, 2016
Navy Federal is a great place to work and grow as an employee. They pay well and have awesome incentives and employee benefits. They also care about their members and empower their employees to make decisions and listen to how processes can be improved.
Pros
employee benefits, lots of locations
Cons
short breaks, limited leave time
Great Place
Team Coach-Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 15, 2016
NFCU takes great care of their employees. They have great benefits. The mortgage department is also a great environment to work in.
Only good if you can get off the floor
Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 6, 2016
Navy Federal loves to sell the fact that you can advance quickly - that is a load of bull. The ones who work the phones (entry level), are the ones who apply for better jobs. Interestingly, the older ones do not get hired as easily as the younger workers. Since so many do apply for one job, the chances of getting that job are tough. The younger you are, the better.

Being in the phones is exhausting and pressure to perform is constant 24/7. Turnover rates in some departments is very high. New employee classes every week.

You are measured on very metric imaginable and this effects whether or not you get a bonus in late January. If you call out, you will be forced to possibly take FMLA or you can get terminated. May the Lord help you at NFCU if you become sick - even for a day. You must tell them in three weeks notice about any medical issues/appointments.

Earning leave is also tough. For example, the first year you earn your hours. Ok, that is fair. I understand that. But, after your first anniversary there, you must still earn your hours. That is unlike any other place I worked for . Usually, your days off/hours are allotted after first year. Not so with NFCU. AND, if you take time off, you will be reprimanded if you go below a threshold of 32 hours. They want you to save that for emergency.

When I work there I feel like a circus elephant. Supervisors sit around or walk around even when call volumes are high - which is almost always. Anyone not on phones loves their job. If you can get off phones, you will like it. If not, well, you burn out FAST.
Pros
Benefits decent
Cons
All of the above
Company is great; some poor management
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 3, 2015
Navy Fed is an amazing company to work for. They have great pay and benefits, but believe me when I say... you really work for what you get. It takes a toll on you emotionally, which is a good route to learning structure and how to handle certain situations. There are members who will make you shake with anger or cry from frustration, but there are those who will take the time to appreciate you and compliment your efforts. You just literally have to be prepared for the unknown. Whatever schedule you get out of training, that's what you're stuck with until after your 6 month mark. You earn annual leave and sick leave with each paycheck, but be sure not to use it. Also, don't accidentally cross your supervisor. Make sure you follow hierarchy policies, even if it inconveniences the member you're speaking with; it could result in tension on a daily basis and huge disciplinary actions. You will be trained on the basics, but there is A LOT of on the job training, so be prepared and willing to continually learn. If you're a very family-oriented person, and needing a flexible schedule to accommodate them, this job isn't for you.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Stress
very good culture/environment
Mortgage and Equity Counselor/Processor/Closer (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VANovember 1, 2015
Overall very good work environment. My previous experiences were with banks and not very good ones. After working for Navy FCU my perception about credit unions was totally different than banks. People at Navy were very friendly and cooperative. And very good learning and advancement opportunities as well. Benefits were good but salary was not so attractive.
Pros
good advancement opportunites, benefits
Cons
not so great salary
Great Place to Work
Equity Processor (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 14, 2016
One of the best employers I have ever worked for. Benefits are absolutely amazing and the commute from any Northern VA, Maryland or DC location is amazing.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Don't do it
MSR (Former Employee) –  DIBERVILLESeptember 24, 2015
The credit union itself is great but this branch is a major NO. The manager and Asst. Manager have issues like bipolar. The worst place I've work and I have done banking before. We went through 5 MSR representatives in matter of a few month and the manager had many complaints against her. When they run the portions of people getting money for referrals they work you like a dog and don't want to give any breaks or lunches. Some girls went almost 6 hours and no break. Beware of this branch she can't keep help.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Worst management ever
Great pay and benefits, amazing supervisor
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 6, 2016
Navy Federal Credit Union is a great company to work for. The benefits and pay are great. However, it is not for the faint of heart. If you cannot handle members being super angry at you and taking their frustrations out on you in sometimes very vulgar ways, I don't suggest this field of work. However, the supervisor I had was absolutely amazing in taking the time aside to work with me on things I did not quite understand. I admire him very much for that. It's a great company to work for overall, but it is a very hectic and always changing job environment that can take a huge emotional toll on an individual especially if you have mental health issues.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Mentally straining
Good place to work for
Member Service Representative/ MLO (Former Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work consist of managing members accounts and providing the members with excellent customer service.
Great co workers, however extremely hard advancement opportunities.
Hardest part of the job is advancing to the next level. Best part is job security and great benefits.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Great benefits
Great Company
Delinquency Control Counselor I/II/III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VADecember 5, 2015
Great Company, Great Benefits. I had a great time working there. I learned very much about he world of banking. Gained great skills in several different fields.

4.2