Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great Benefits & Comensation; Horrible Management
MSR (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CA7 March 2017
Navy Federal's culture is amazing. The compensation and benefits are amazing. Their downfall is the MAJOR disconnect from the amazing culture portrayed in headquarters (Virginia, Florida, San Diego) to branch offices. If you work in branch office you are literally at the mercy of you branch manager who NFCU backs way too much. There is nobody to step in when there's major issues with dishonest managers. We were forced to work six day workweeks for years under a manager who talked to employees in such a negative way that our branch has had close to ten employees (most longtime nfcu employees) leave within a few years yet nobody steps in to correct the manager situation. Overall it is sad because NFCU is such a great place to work but if you get in a branch under poor management there is nobody that cares enough to assist with morale.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits
Cons
Branch Manager has all control
Great benefits no job security
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL14 November 2016
I worked for this company for over 10 years. In all of my tenure I had never been coached, counseled, etc. Then one minor mistake cost me my job. This company treats their employees like sheep, you are only a number to them. No matter how hard you work or how loyal you are If you have an opinion you are targeted. The pensacola FL site is a joke. There are no other employers in that area that pay more than $10 an hour so they always get on the "top 100 companies to work for" well don't be fooled...it's bc there is nowhere else to work besides the military in that area. The only good thing I can say is their facilities and benefits. But beware..you can be fired at any moment for any reason. If you aren't a brown noser and you like to think outside the box..this isn't the place for you.
Benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere, management
Great job for people without experience or degrees
Consumer Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL8 February 2017
Advancement is difficult. Positions like the one I was gunning for would sometimes have 80 internal applicants, and even with experience and a college degree it was still challenging. They also claim to prioritize internal applicants but I've discovered that's not at all the case. I started working there because I was told that after I'd been there 6 months, I'd have a very good chance to move into the role I started working there to achieve. I've been there a year with not so much as an interview.

The benefits are great and they have an overly-friendly culture, but the job itself can be draining if you have any aspirations of more than just being at the bottom of the ladder.

Bottom line is if you don't have more than a hig hschool diploma, this place will be great for you. Great pay for the education and experience level of an entry level job. However if you have high ambition and want to work at NFCU, you're better off applying for the positions you want as an external applicant rather than wasting your time trying to work your way up.
Pros
Benefits, pay (for what you do and the area)
Cons
Advancement for people withe degrees and experience
Eh it's a paycheck
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA18 October 2016
The compensation (medical and dental benefits) is great, the pay sucks. And the management...I can't begin to tell you how horrible it is. If you can't handle being tied to a phone for 8 hours a day in a call center this job is not for you. Don't expect to really advance anywhere unless you know someone who really suck up to someone. I've applied for 3 positions and got turned down and I'm a current employee. The pay I guess for a supervisor is good but not an MSR. I need to pay bills, and have a paycheck but I can't wait to find something better, better pay, better management, and again the pay for everything you have to do is way below scale. If you are just looking for a paycheck and can put up with not only supervisors BS and members BS then apply otherwise look elsewhere.
Pros
Free food at times
Cons
Management, pay, extremely hard to get time off
Amazing Company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 November 2016
Overall Navy Federal is a great company to work for. They provide unparalleled benefits and opportunities for growth within the company. However, I would not recommend working in the contact center unless you have previous call center experience and its something you really enjoy. Working on the phones is tough and is not for the faint of heart. Most of my coworkers were amazing and the supervisors are very good at what they do. The company loves to show how much they appreciate their employees with catered lunches, casual Friday, and loads of discounts for entertainment.
Pros
great benefits, employee appreciation events, awesome coworkers
Cons
burnout
Working in Branch
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KY25 January 2017
Navy Federal is an amazing place to work for! If you are looking into it please know it will be a great career move. The down fall is the lack of positions that become available. If you work in a branch there is a lot of drama. I recommend going somewhere where the member volume will be high, a diverse place, or go to the contact center.
Pros
Great benefits and incentives.
Cons
Not a lot of full time positions available
Perfect Job
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL3 January 2017
Everything about this place is wonderful. Great benefits, great work environment, great management, and they are very understanding and flexible. The bonuses and incentives are a plus! I totally recommend this job. It's a wonderful career path, easy to move up and excel.
Benefits
Cons
NONE
Great company, experience depends on management
MSR & MLO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL29 November 2016
I loved working for Navy Federal Credit Union for the three years I was there. Their benefits are amazing and they treat their employees with competitive pay. Each experience you have will of course be dependent on the current management team that you are under. Overall, great culture is pushed from corporate.
They take care of their employees
Senior Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD15 March 2017
Voted one of the best companies to work for, Navy Federal Credit Union provides great life / work balance and offer a variety of benefits to each employee. From 7% 401k matching to great leave programs.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Very competitive
Compensation/Benefits are excellent for entry level position
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA1 September 2016
*Assist members in very high call volume CCO (Account Services)
*Training was decent learned a great deal about banking
*Management can be hit or miss for myself my supervisor was great
*co-workers were friendly on my team, assist line however not so much
*hardest part of the job was the hours, and inconsistent schedule/angry public (but you'll have that anywhere)
*best part of the job was when the members were truly grateful for our help (which is a rare thing)
Pros
Compensation/Benefits are excellent for entry level position
Cons
Hours/days off. Very stressful overall
great employee benefits and perks
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA29 December 2016
servicing members from open to close. Ensuring best customer service to WOW them. Learning new things daily, constant change. Great co workers and management. Hardest part of the job is the antiquated computer system. Most enjoyable is the members and staff.
benefits
Great company to work for
Call Center Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA9 February 2017
This is a great company to work for. They always advance within the company and give training opportunities to employees. Compensation, raises, and bonuses are fantastic.
Pros
Advance within company
Cons
Its okay.. if you don't mind s
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL26 February 2017
you don't have much career advancement unless you are in cahoots with upper management or if you don't network... skill isn't enough
benefits
Cons
advancement
Contact Customer Account Specialist
Contact Center Account Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA7 January 2017
Great place to work - you feel appreciated. There are many ways to advance. They have formal training so you don't feel like you are just thrown in with the lions.
Pros
Great benefits, many areas to advance, helpful managers
Cons
Back to back calls, open 24/7 so holidays and bad weather required to work
Relaxing and independent workplace
Member Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL22 August 2016
Great environment. Wonderful benefits; gym, lounge, message chairs, on-site clinic, and cafeteria. However, many employees are forced to moved to other buildings off campus and teleworking opportunity has been revoked. Constantly changing supervisors and coaches which makes I difficult to advance. Its all about who you know and not what you know that gets you promoted.
Pros
benefits, management, flexible hours
Cons
Job advancement, Constant system failures, Software needs improvement
Great Place to work.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL13 January 2017
NFCU was an awesome place to work. They do everything possible to accommodate a good work/life balance. The company really cares about it's employees and the benefits are incredible.
Productive and a place to grow
Customer Service Representative/MLO (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL20 February 2017
A Great place to work for if you get the right Supervisor and If you were able to voice your opinion if it counted concerning the Supervisor without backlash.
Pros
Free Gyms, Foods, Volunteer work, Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks, No one to Micro Manage the Manger, Only one sided.
Great benefits and great job for location.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA27 January 2017
Very fast paced environment. The members are more comfortable calling for assistance instead of using resources available , such as mobile app, online baking.
Pros
Health Benefits. 401k Match.
Cons
Addressing financial issues of members.with negative balances etc.
Great pay and benefits, amazing supervisor
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA6 August 2016
Navy Federal Credit Union is a great company to work for. The benefits and pay are great. However, it is not for the faint of heart. If you cannot handle members being super angry at you and taking their frustrations out on you in sometimes very vulgar ways, I don't suggest this field of work. However, the supervisor I had was absolutely amazing in taking the time aside to work with me on things I did not quite understand. I admire him very much for that. It's a great company to work for overall, but it is a very hectic and always changing job environment that can take a huge emotional toll on an individual especially if you have mental health issues.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Mentally straining
Great employer for this area
Accounts Payable Technician (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL17 March 2017
Expansion of the Pensacola location has provided plenty of job and growth opportunities. The benefits and amenities are second to none in this area. A great place to work.

4.2