Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great benefits no job security
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL14 November 2016
I worked for this company for over 10 years. In all of my tenure I had never been coached, counseled, etc. Then one minor mistake cost me my job. This company treats their employees like sheep, you are only a number to them. No matter how hard you work or how loyal you are If you have an opinion you are targeted. The pensacola FL site is a joke. There are no other employers in that area that pay more than $10 an hour so they always get on the "top 100 companies to work for" well don't be fooled...it's bc there is nowhere else to work besides the military in that area. The only good thing I can say is their facilities and benefits. But beware..you can be fired at any moment for any reason. If you aren't a brown noser and you like to think outside the box..this isn't the place for you.
Benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere, management
Eh it's a paycheck
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA18 October 2016
The compensation (medical and dental benefits) is great, the pay sucks. And the management...I can't begin to tell you how horrible it is. If you can't handle being tied to a phone for 8 hours a day in a call center this job is not for you. Don't expect to really advance anywhere unless you know someone who really suck up to someone. I've applied for 3 positions and got turned down and I'm a current employee. The pay I guess for a supervisor is good but not an MSR. I need to pay bills, and have a paycheck but I can't wait to find something better, better pay, better management, and again the pay for everything you have to do is way below scale. If you are just looking for a paycheck and can put up with not only supervisors BS and members BS then apply otherwise look elsewhere.
Pros
Free food at times
Cons
Management, pay, extremely hard to get time off
Amazing Company
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA26 November 2016
Overall Navy Federal is a great company to work for. They provide unparalleled benefits and opportunities for growth within the company. However, I would not recommend working in the contact center unless you have previous call center experience and its something you really enjoy. Working on the phones is tough and is not for the faint of heart. Most of my coworkers were amazing and the supervisors are very good at what they do. The company loves to show how much they appreciate their employees with catered lunches, casual Friday, and loads of discounts for entertainment.
Pros
great benefits, employee appreciation events, awesome coworkers
Cons
burnout
Compensation/Benefits are excellent for entry level position
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA1 September 2016
*Assist members in very high call volume CCO (Account Services)
*Training was decent learned a great deal about banking
*Management can be hit or miss for myself my supervisor was great
*co-workers were friendly on my team, assist line however not so much
*hardest part of the job was the hours, and inconsistent schedule/angry public (but you'll have that anywhere)
*best part of the job was when the members were truly grateful for our help (which is a rare thing)
Pros
Compensation/Benefits are excellent for entry level position
Cons
Hours/days off. Very stressful overall
Relaxing and independent workplace
Member Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL22 August 2016
Great environment. Wonderful benefits; gym, lounge, message chairs, on-site clinic, and cafeteria. However, many employees are forced to moved to other buildings off campus and teleworking opportunity has been revoked. Constantly changing supervisors and coaches which makes I difficult to advance. Its all about who you know and not what you know that gets you promoted.
Pros
benefits, management, flexible hours
Cons
Job advancement, Constant system failures, Software needs improvement
Great company, experience depends on management
MSR & MLO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL29 November 2016
I loved working for Navy Federal Credit Union for the three years I was there. Their benefits are amazing and they treat their employees with competitive pay. Each experience you have will of course be dependent on the current management team that you are under. Overall, great culture is pushed from corporate.
Great pay and benefits, amazing supervisor
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VA6 August 2016
Navy Federal Credit Union is a great company to work for. The benefits and pay are great. However, it is not for the faint of heart. If you cannot handle members being super angry at you and taking their frustrations out on you in sometimes very vulgar ways, I don't suggest this field of work. However, the supervisor I had was absolutely amazing in taking the time aside to work with me on things I did not quite understand. I admire him very much for that. It's a great company to work for overall, but it is a very hectic and always changing job environment that can take a huge emotional toll on an individual especially if you have mental health issues.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Mentally straining
Perfect Job
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL3 January 2017
Everything about this place is wonderful. Great benefits, great work environment, great management, and they are very understanding and flexible. The bonuses and incentives are a plus! I totally recommend this job. It's a wonderful career path, easy to move up and excel.
Benefits
Cons
NONE
great employee benefits and perks
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA29 December 2016
servicing members from open to close. Ensuring best customer service to WOW them. Learning new things daily, constant change. Great co workers and management. Hardest part of the job is the antiquated computer system. Most enjoyable is the members and staff.
benefits
Navy Federal is a great company to work for
Check Processing Specialist-Outgoing Checks (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VA10 October 2016
The company has a lot of growth opportunities and push for professional development. Navy federal is very big on health has a large workout center free to all employees and offer classes from 6 am in the morning to 6 pm in the evening daily.
Pros
Fully invested in the company after 2 years
Cons
Great health benefits and 401 K plan
Contact Customer Account Specialist
Contact Center Account Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA7 January 2017
Great place to work - you feel appreciated. There are many ways to advance. They have formal training so you don't feel like you are just thrown in with the lions.
Pros
Great benefits, many areas to advance, helpful managers
Cons
Back to back calls, open 24/7 so holidays and bad weather required to work
High Volume Mortgage Lending
Mortgage Processor and Closer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VA15 August 2016
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. The company does make try to make the stress of work tolerable, but most of the times the volume is so high that maintaining a work life balance is very challenging.

The work ethic, culture and team support is amazing. Peers and leader are always supportive and helpful.
Poor Management
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VA25 September 2016
Have to stand all day, basically teach yourself everything you know, management is poorly chosen and everything has to be done in the back office. The most enjoyable part of the job is some of the members and some of the activities they have and we make up.
Pros
Wellness benefits, Yearly bonus
Cons
Work/life, time off, management
Great Place to work.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL13 January 2017
NFCU was an awesome place to work. They do everything possible to accommodate a good work/life balance. The company really cares about it's employees and the benefits are incredible.
Okay workspace, very dictator-like
MSR (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA24 October 2016
Good benefits and compensation, terrible work/life balance, management not very efficient, very monotonous, good job for someone who doesn't like to be up and moving.
Good starter job but not a career
MSR (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA21 October 2016
The benefits provided were excellent but the salary is low and work/life balance does not exist. There is a high degree of micromanagement.
Pros
benfits
Cons
micromanagement
Very Challenging
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VA18 October 2016
The training for this job was amazing. However, the job itself was very different from the experience on the floor. This is a very busy workplace but the benefits are amazing. Navy Federal is a very strict company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours are not ideal.
Compensation was good.
Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL10 November 2016
The compensation was good. There is good management, it depends what team you are on. Training could be improved and all management does not train you the same.
Worst position in the Mortgage industry
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  California4 May 2016
With 15 years in the mortgage industry, this is by far the worst position I have ever had. Its impossible to meet their expectations in a normal 8 hour shift. Your slaved to your desk and required to work overtime. You can forget about having a life or seeing your children at night. Only thing managers care about is making the numbers. Its unfortunate because Navy Federal is a good company. Its the mortgage division that is a nightmare!

Over whelming work load, 60 to 100 in the pipeline
Processors are overloaded too so a lot of closing are delayed
Mandatory overtime
On call until 9pm 365 days a year
Co workers are crying from the work load (literally)
No life/work balance
Low quality training
No management support
$50 for closing 11 loans in a month incentive
Micromanaging
Understaffed
List goes on
Pros
Pimp, benifits
Cons
managers, incentives, low moral. very stressful environment
Great Place to work!
Delinquency Control Counselor III (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VA4 December 2016
Navy Federal is one of the best places I've ever work at! It is definitely a fantastic place to retire!! The benefits are wonderful, and the company is always looking for ways to improve.
Benefits
Cons
Parking

4.2