NAV CANADA Employee Reviews

New challenges daily.
Excellent benefits.
Managers/supervisors trained well.
Focus on culture.
Loyalty to customers as well as employees and commitment to positive environment.
Pros
environment, . benefits, culture
Cons
uncertainty
Typical corporate world
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
NAV CANADA can be an exciting place to work if you are an air traffic controller, a flight service specialist, a technician or an engineer as you are hands on with the customers but if you work in the offices it is your typical corporate day to day boring environment!

They compensate very well and offer many opportunities. Management is not well treated and they expect that you do the job of 3 in return which burns out many of their managers and the reason why there is such a high turnover in the management group. They claim that you can speak your mind but if you do you can suffer the wrath if your opinion is not the same as the executive team and you don't comply and go in the same direction. Managers at Nav Canada are well paid puppets.
Pros
Well compensated
Cons
You really can't go against the grain
Great place to work as a coop student
Co-op Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2017
I worked in this company when I was in the second year and didn't know much about programming. Working in this company was a great experience and I learned a lot from this. The other workers are so friendly and helpful.
Pros
Huge project, friendly environment, great opportunity to learn a lot
Cons
Low salary, no secure position for co-op student
What i have learned
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Working in NAV Canada has helped me to expand my work experience especially working with a well reputed company.
I have learned many new aspects of Communications and administration while working here.
Pros
Friday Lunches
Cons
quiet workspace
Great Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2016
Great company to start when you are young and work your way in a career. The people are hard working and safety focused. People understand they are part of a team.
Pros
Great Salary and Benefits
Cons
Older workforce
High learning experience, Nav canada is the best place to learn all types of foods an they have the best training team possible
Cooking & customer service, (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON15 June 2016
I learned so much working for nav Canada
everyone was so friendly an they thought me so much
i learned how to bake an cook an i learned so many different positions in the filed ,
everyone was very patient with me if i messed up or needed help ,
i loved working for nav canada
Not at this time
AIM Assembly Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 December 2015
It's a typical 9-5, I learned a lot about the science of flying and the back ground into flights. Management sucks, they don't have a clue on what their employees are doing day to day. Co-workers are great.
I had an interesting job in a highly technical environment for years.
Flight Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  various8 November 2015
The job has changed a lot over the years, primarily due to technological updates. Some of the tasks performed regularly throughout my career with NavCanada, were:
- pre-flight weather briefings
- filing flight plans for pilots - both private vfr pilots and commercial ifr pilots
- issuing NOTAMS re: safety issues affecting flight or special circumstances - such as balloon flights, military flight operations, search and rescue operations, missing aircraft, etc.
- communicating with pilots in vicinity of the airports when I worked as airport advisory and with pilots in Arctic Canada when I worked in the Flight Information Center via landline telephone, sat phones and later cellphones; and via VHF, UHF and HF radios where practicable
- updating manuals periodically
- recording daily operational statistics

The first thirteen years I worked in single stand stations, meaning I was often alone on shift. At those locations, I did hourly weather observations and recorded and sent them on the computer. Our computers were on a company intranet and most of the programs we used were created 'in-house' for our specific purposes.

So even though I worked as Flight Service Specialist for 28 years, I kept up with changes with in-house training given by the technicians who had developed the 'new' program, and the job was constantly changing - new rules and procedures, new policies developed as circumstances required, etc.

I am looking forward to working with a dynamic, growing business here in North Bay.
Cons
full rotating shifts, 24/7
Introverts need not apply
CAD technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2015
Great place for highly sociable extroverts to get ahead. Even if you can't do the job, as long as if you are friendly with the right people, you will be on the fast track to management.
If you should be an introvert, or in some way not able to be very sociable, you will be out the door as fast as they can get rid of you.
Pros
3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks paid sick leave, 1 week paid appointment time, and 11 days of holiday time per year.
Cons
The people.
GREAT ENVIRONMENT
Administrative Clerk-contract (Current Employee) –  ottawa, on23 February 2015
Great place to work! Unfortunetly I was only on a contract, and didn't have the opportunity to stay on longer!
Great life/work balance.
Ever changing workplace due to customer needs and constant staff changes
Delivery driver and mail room duties (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2014
Administrative duties (Mailroom) were a daily function. Learned great people skills and met numerous fun people. Hardest part was uncertainty of job security
Pros
Chance to use organizational and people skills
Cons
use of own vehicle was required
Calm environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 November 2014
The workplace has a calm environment. The bosses trust that you are doing a good job. They are available when you have questions, listen to suggestions and always friendly.
Reputable Organization
Safety, Quality & Evaluation Specialist - level II (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 October 2014
Spent nearly a decade with Nav predominately in the technical arena. Solid company that offers employee opportunity to develop and advance.
Fast Paced, high stress learning
Air Traffic Controller Trainee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2014
ATC training is a fast paced, high stress course. Every day is spent trying to fix the mistakes you made in practice the day before while trying to figure out what the next step is. It is however very rewarding when you manage to apply what you are thought to the job.

The environment is usually a mix of extremely professional and extremely laissez-faire which can change from one second to the next.
Pros
Extremely good pay and benefits
Cons
Extremely hard training, extremely high stress and complexity
A Fun and Focused place to work
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2014
A Typical day consisted of Organizing and Updating Diagrams.

I learned lots about file maintenance and how to work productively alone.

Management was always upbeat and busy.

Co-workers were task oriented.

Hardest part of the job was learning how to keep focused on your own.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone would take time to gather items for fundraiser and charity events.
Good and challenging place to work
Assist.to Directors of Ops Analysis and Finance (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, on4 September 2014
Assisted 2 directors in arranging travel, meetings, expense reports and formatting of reports.
Pros
Good work environment in a challenging field
Awesome place for students to get experience in the IT field.
Support Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 June 2014
Management is relaxed and focused on understanding the needs of the students with regard to their career.
Pace varies, can be very busy at times, fostering a need to prioitize tasks in order of importance, or slow, which in turn fosters the need to complete backlogged work.
Good job, great work colleagues
Life Guard/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall22 October 2013
Worked at a pool where I was required to watch people swim and ensure that they are safe
Pros
free meals
Cons
too short of hours for highschool work
Great place to work, great people, future focused.
Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2013
Excellent company to work for, good career progression, good money, excellent people across the board.
Pros
The people are awesome, highly oranized, future focused.
Cons
None.
Manager of 4 fast paced departments
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, Ontario27 April 2013
My day was typically around 14 hours. My duties were to make sure all functions and departments were running smoothly and completed in the time allowed. Processed payroll and gratuities. Scedual for 4 departments, and weekly Manager on duty.

4.3