Natural Resources Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Great work environnement with great staff.
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
Everyday duties include:

Checking emails in the morning and working with clients.
Viewing and entering metadata from new releases of publications.
Working with co-workers in my own office.
Managing what we include, exclude and modify the database.
Hardest part of my job is to make sure there are no errors in the data I enter. Once saved it is accessible by the public.
Getting here everyday and loving the atmosphere of office life with my co-workers and bosses. Love it.
Pros
Casual wear, Manage our own Hours.
Cons
Far from Home
Very fun Co-op placement
Geotechnical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJanuary 26, 2016
Learned a lot related to Geotechnical Engineering
Worked in a laboratory setting
Got to attend many meetings and presentations
Report writing
Got to explore the institute and work closely with others
Pros
Lots of other student staff
Cons
Sometimes a little boring and monotonous during testing proceedures
Administrative Assistant and finance
Word Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Work with NRCan for 24 years, formerly Energy Mines and Resources, starting in 1989 until 2013.

Worked different level of jobs, started as a Word Processing Officer, than changed to a clerk, than Finance and Administration.

The hardest part of the job was being affected in 2013 while I was told that I needed to looked for another employment. That's when I moved to AADNC (Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada) in Gatineau QC.
Pros
Permanency in 1990
Cons
Leaving in 2013
Great and productive workplace
Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 28, 2015
Pretty good work place for the most part. Co-workers are amazing! Just avoid 2nd floor in building 1 if you can, its baaaaad news. I learned a great deal and made a few life long friends in the process.
very healthy work atmosphere
French editing, writing and revision consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 27, 2015
Nature of work is objectively very useful and gratifying.
Colleagues are most helpful and friendly.

One of the best employments I ever had in all my career.
Pros
team work
Cons
- nil -
federal government contract
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONSeptember 18, 2015
Duties included design and development of internal web site and supply design work for conventions and tours. Was also part of a number of committees responsible for planning events that were held throughout Canada. Some design projects completed includes manuals, calendars, post cards, larger formatted posters, annual reports, monthly newsletters, and a number of smaller projects. Other responsibilities included coordinating all out sourced printing projects with local and national printing companies and also managed small printing and supply budget. Also responsible for updating intranet site at main office. Was also responsible for 500,000 for the communications department
Productive and Team player
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, CanadaJuly 23, 2015
I am friendly and like company of my friends. I believe in mutual respect and helping in work if there is a need.
I learned about building houses, and energy savings.
My coworkers are great and there is no politics or disrespect among us.
So far I did not encounter hardest part in my job.
Every day is enjoyable day.
fast-paced, challenging
Upgrading Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Devon, ABDecember 18, 2014
Everybody working in my department was extremely helpful. A great place to learn about the oil and gas industry, I got the chance to participate in on-site visits. Worked in the project management side of things.
Pros
relatively flexible hours
Cons
mentor could have explained better
Typical day at work
mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 30, 2014
Everyday a new task need to be done. We had to input the Canadian Buidling Code into the CandQuest software and run the software for the results. that was a very interesting job because you have to find the error and the reason in case the software fails.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
contract job not secured
Productive and a fun workplace
Social Science Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2014
I was a research assistant with the social science team at the Forest Service. At the beginning of my term I was given list of papers which I was required to annotate in addition to other assignments which I received during the course of the contract. The hours were flexible as long as I completed the required hours within the term period and my supervisor was extremely understanding when it came to time off due to personal or school purposes.

I mostly read and annotated the articles provided and conducted other searches in the middle to give myself a break from reading. I was given my own office and my supervisor mostly left me to do my work with little to no supervision. However, he was always available when I needed help understanding something. Furthermore, he edited my work once it was complete which helped me not only improve my writing skills but also gave me an opportunity to discuss the research to gain a better understanding of the subject matter.

Overall this was a great learning opportunity!
Pros
the cafeteria had amazing food
Cons
sometimes reading such technical papers all day became very difficult
Friendly laboratory for co-op student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 13, 2014
perform experiment about aluminum alloy's heat treatment
test the physical properties of the alloy
Fantastic
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
Typical Day at work would start with about and hour of lab maintenance, before setting everything up for test and regular culture transfers, feeding etc. Once everything was set up and cultures were fed tests were started, maintained or concluded daily.

The team I worked within was a lot of fun to work with, management and my supervisors were all good humored, helpful and it created a great working environment.

The most difficult part of the job was working through problems that didn't seem to want a solution. Were some frustrating moments when tests were not going as planned or completely opposite to expected but eventually the answers were found.
Pros
people and environment
interesting place to work
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2013
24 years of services change offices every 5 years to learn new jobs. Enjoy my collegues and work challenge
Financial
team member (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 11, 2013
I enjoyed learning about government finance in this role. The work involved three provinces; it was interesting noting the cultural differences between them.
Pros
financial work
productive, and very enjoyable
Finance Administrator/Procurement Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2013
My day starts at 7:30 am. I log into email to check for items. I then create purchase orders or contracts in SAP. I audit travel claims, research and book travel.
I deposit, enter AR and reconcile bank deposits in SAP
I process, code and enter invoices for payments checking for proper signatures, quantities and prices of items to ensure accuracy.
enter payments in system, create and modify vendor information
set up direct deposit for vendors
create and prepare financial reports for managers and attend meetings
process journal vouchers and transfer funds to proper budgets
balance budgets
the most enjoyable part of my job is being busy all the time
My co workers are wonderful and I enjoy helping them
The hardest part of my job is the commute everyday.
Pros
great people, great working conditions
Cons
waiting on information to complete tasks efficiently and timely
Enjoy this job - due to the fact I am able to make the clients happy
Senior Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 14, 2013
- Overwhelmed with work;
- Day flies by
- So long as we are productive, proceed with the workload, management don't bother us
- help out co-workers when require

Every year there is a new challenges in procurement which is good. Yet a lot of overtime.

Have no complaints, yet it time to experience a new challenge outside of this department.
Cons
other collegue talking about people who have high stats
A tremendous learning experience
Policy Analyst (Winter/Summer Internship) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2013
As an intern at NRCan I was able to put my writing, research and presentation skills learnt through my Master's program in public policy and public administration to use. In this capacity I was able apply my skills to a real work environment and in so doing fine tune my skill set. My supervisors and colleagues facilitated and contributed to my learning.
Great job
Communication Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnApril 9, 2013
Working under tight deadlines.
Writing articles
Editing papers
Pros
improved communication skills
This was a great co-op position
Communication Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnApril 9, 2013
Worked in a professional environment. Learned how to write newsletters and press releases. Great training. Worked with closely with a small dynamic team
Pros
teamwork building, new skills developed
Working at Natural Resources
Finance and Procurement officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 31, 2012
Working at Natural Resources Canada is very very interesting. There is a lot of talent and dedication from the employees. It is a great place to work and the people are committed and enjoy their jobs. People are very respectful and value your opinion. It is a pleasure to work there.
Unfortunately the Federal Government is in a downsizing situation in order to reduce the debt and future continued employment may not be possible for some jobs.
Pros
great rapport, great respect a pleasure to work there
Cons
not sure about future and current employment prospects

4.8