Natural Resources Canada

Natural Resources Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly laboratory for co-op student
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 13, 2014
perform experiment about aluminum alloy's heat treatment
test the physical properties of the alloy
Fantastic
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: people and environment
Typical Day at work would start with about and hour of lab maintenance, before setting everything up for test and regular culture transfers, feeding etc. Once everything was set up and cultures were fed tests were started, maintained or concluded daily.

The team I worked within was a lot of fun to work with, management and my supervisors were all good – more... humored, helpful and it created a great working environment.

The most difficult part of the job was working through problems that didn't seem to want a solution. Were some frustrating moments when tests were not going as planned or completely opposite to expected but eventually the answers were found. – less
interesting place to work
Administrative Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2013
24 years of services change offices every 5 years to learn new jobs. Enjoy my collegues and work challenge
Financial
team member (Former Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: financial work
I enjoyed learning about government finance in this role. The work involved three provinces; it was interesting noting the cultural differences between them.
productive, and very enjoyable
Finance Administrator/Procurement Clerk (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2013
Pros: great people, great working conditions
Cons: waiting on information to complete tasks efficiently and timely
My day starts at 7:30 am. I log into email to check for items. I then create purchase orders or contracts in SAP. I audit travel claims, research and book travel.
I deposit, enter AR and reconcile bank deposits in SAP
I process, code and enter invoices for payments checking for proper signatures, quantities and prices of items to ensure accuracy.
enter – more... payments in system, create and modify vendor information
set up direct deposit for vendors
create and prepare financial reports for managers and attend meetings
process journal vouchers and transfer funds to proper budgets
balance budgets
the most enjoyable part of my job is being busy all the time
My co workers are wonderful and I enjoy helping them
The hardest part of my job is the commute everyday. – less
Enjoy this job - due to the fact I am able to make the clients happy
Senior Procurement Specialist (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 14, 2013
Cons: other collegue talking about people who have high stats
- Overwhelmed with work;
- Day flies by
- So long as we are productive, proceed with the workload, management don't bother us
- help out co-workers when require

Every year there is a new challenges in procurement which is good. Yet a lot of overtime.

Have no complaints, yet it time to experience a new challenge outside of this department.
A tremendous learning experience
Policy Analyst (Winter/Summer Internship) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2013
As an intern at NRCan I was able to put my writing, research and presentation skills learnt through my Master's program in public policy and public administration to use. In this capacity I was able apply my skills to a real work environment and in so doing fine tune my skill set. My supervisors and colleagues facilitated and contributed to my learning.
Great job
Communication Support Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnApril 9, 2013
Pros: improved communication skills
Working under tight deadlines.
Writing articles
Editing papers
This was a great co-op position
Communication Support Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnApril 9, 2013
Pros: teamwork building, new skills developed
Worked in a professional environment. Learned how to write newsletters and press releases. Great training. Worked with closely with a small dynamic team
Working at Natural Resources
Finance and Procurement officer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 31, 2012
Pros: great rapport, great respect a pleasure to work there
Cons: not sure about future and current employment prospects
Working at Natural Resources Canada is very very interesting. There is a lot of talent and dedication from the employees. It is a great place to work and the people are committed and enjoy their jobs. People are very respectful and value your opinion. It is a pleasure to work there.
Unfortunately the Federal Government is in a downsizing situation in – more... order to reduce the debt and future continued employment may not be possible for some jobs. – less
Productive, fun, and stimulating with interaction with many highly qualified professionals
MINERAL POLICY ADVISOR (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: intellectually stimulating environment
Cons: tight deadlines imposed
A typical day would start by reviewing previous day events in the aluminium, mining, metal refining and metal processing industries. Take note of new information, if significant investigate further and report on it's potential impact, and inform appropriate personnel. Work on briefing notes, access to information requests, and prepare for different – more... committee meetings to work on expert analysis/presentations ( alone or in teams) to advance committee mandates.
The environment was stimulating allowing access / input from many other professionals such as other commodity experts, economists, tax professionals, geologists, industry and environment specialists.
The hardest part of the job were the tight deadlines that were imposed.
The most enjoyable aspects was being able to interact and exchange information with many qualified professional in both the public and private industry. – less
MINERAL POLICY ADVISOR (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: intellectually stimulating environment
Cons: tight deadlines imposed
The hardest part of the job were the tight deadlines that were imposed.