Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company
Customer service consultant (Current Employee), Northampton nacJune 3, 2014
Great company if your looking to progress fast in your career
Pros: gym, showers, canteen, shop and hairdressers all on site
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Repetitive
Personal Banking Manager (Current Employee), The Strand, LondonJune 2, 2014
Pros: location, advancement
Cons: predictability, repetitive
A typical work day consists of having interviews with customers in which I identify financial need areas and aim to fill that need using Nationwide products where available. I also ensure that customer service levels are kept at an optimum and customers leave interviews with me extremely satisfied. A typical day for me at work also include providing – more... coaching for the referrers in the branch, guiding them as to how to spot opportunities relating to Nationwide products.

My time here has helped me improve my management, listening, interview, coaching and administrative skills.

I work with a few fun loving people which make the workplace have a relaxed atmosphere.

The hardest part of my job is when, sometimes I am unable to help a customer with their needs. Also it is quite repetitive and sometimes predictable, therefore the job tends to have a short life span.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to provide financial solutions for customers which evidently makes them better off and eases their lives. – less
Fun Contact Centre
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGMay 18, 2014
Pros: off the phone activity and free drinks
Cons: long hours on phone
A typical day at would be taking calls 7 hours of the day dealing with customer enquiries, complaints and products queries. I learned to deal with a variety types of customers. Learnt new skills which can definately would be a valuable attribute for my future job. Skills such as dealing with compliant procedure, pressure situations and data entry. The – more... management at Nationwide is really good. The centre has about 8 teams and each manager can a good support. My manager is very supportive of my situations and undertstands each team member. My team members are brilliant, they are very supportive and fun to work with. Working in contact centre can be repetetive but as a team we have fun days where we can enjoy and also do the job. I don't there is a part of the job that is very hard. You have to meet coaching guidlines when taking calls so when customer are surveyed we can meet the 57% target - which shows customers found our service excellent. This can be stressful if we have system errors which have impacted the customers and this can relate to our customer experience which may also lead to complaints. Enjoyable part of the job is this contact centre is the people you work with. They are friendly, proffesional and supportive. – less
Good Job, Poor Management
Caseowner (Former Employee), BournemouthApril 23, 2014
Great amount of training received and at a high quality. Typical day was to get in and start at 9 and finish at 5 with an hour for lunch. Poor people management and everyone was unhappy with their role. Bad ratio of temporary to permanent staff. Hardest part of the job was that there wasn't enough work to go round which is what made me leave as there – more... were some days there was no work to do as there was too many employees for the amount of work. Most enjoyable part of the job was when we had work as I enjoy being able to work and keeping busy with work is great. – less
Faced paced environment working to tight deadlines
Process Coach (Former Employee), SwindonApril 9, 2014
Pros: working on your own initiative, working tight deasdlines
Cons: only reporting to higher management sometimes no direction.
To work to the direction of the Operations Manager to provide a sustainable skill and knowledge base for the department to improve the overall customer experience and effectiveness of the operations. Coaching and training team members to achieve required levels of their performance on processing. Creatively analysed large data and designed Management – more... Information for all levels of management for existing projects within the deadline. Champion any departmental incentives to increase efficiency within the savings department. – less
Great company to work for
Corporate Communication Manager (Former Employee), SwindonApril 8, 2014
One of the best companies I've worked for so far!

The internal communication team was awarded the Best Team of the Year Award by Melcrum in 2012.
Business Development
Project Co-Ordinator (Current Employee), LondonApril 5, 2014
It really depends on what you’re working on. Some projects are small and will only take a week, some are large scale projects and take months. During the initiation of the project, the IT project manager might meet with key stakeholders to help identify what the key objectives are. During analysis and design the IT project manager might help the team – more... in gathering requirements and brainstorm technical solutions for the problem at hand.

Typically my team and I are responsible for company wide project management support of all areas of technology including the telephone systems, networks, hardware, software, security and database admin. – less
Busy and Rewarding
PERSONAL BANKING MANAGER (Former Employee), LondonApril 3, 2014
Pros: quarterly bonus on performance
Cons: working saturdays
Interviewing customers for their personal banking, which included opening current accounts,credit cards, personal loan applications, selling Home Insurances, opening different types of savings accounts,sending chaps and swift transfers, dealing with Mortgage queries and referring customers to Senior Financial Advisor for long term investments in stocks – more... and shares. I have learned good customer service skills as well as a lot of information on the products that I sold.I have learned how banks operate and interview techniques such as what you are allowed and not allowed to say to a customer.
I worked well with management most of the time and they focused on your development and gave feedback on observations.My co-workers were supportive to my role and referred customers to me and likewise I would refer customers to the Mortgage advisor and the Senior Financial Advisor.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes I would have appointments in my diary all day which meant I would be interviewing all day and I also had to achieve corporate targets.If the branch was busy, it can put you under a lot of pressure.
The enjoyable part of the job was after many years I found the job quite easy and satisfying and it was very local so I did not have to travel far. – less
Great Company
Secretary to Senior Executive/s (Former Employee), Northampton, ENGApril 2, 2014
Loved working there but due to restructuring the culture is changing.
fantastic place to work
Senior Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), belfastMarch 24, 2014
i was made redundant in 2009, but this is the most ethical, straightforward company i've ever worked for - putting customers first!
Short but sour
Branch Advisor (Former Employee), Strood, ENGMarch 18, 2014
Nationwide lovely staff but Management needs serious training!
Good firm to work for
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Swindon, ENGMarch 14, 2014
Taking customer call and passing to appropriate department.
Excellent place to work
Balance enquires/ mananging counter transactions (Former Employee), NorthamptonMarch 10, 2014
Calm, healthy environment to work in, friendly attitude in work and co-workers.

the hardest part of the job is making use of time, keeping busy even when their is no work plays a very important part so always ask when you have free time on your hands.

the most enjoyable part of the job is having your own space, clean work space and easy to reach assets – more... provided by company. – less
hard working environment
Customer Consultant (Current Employee), Northampton, ENGMarch 7, 2014
Cons: long unsociable hours
A typical day at work is handling a high volume of calls and resolving customer service enquiries regarding mortgages and customer service. I have learned much about the financial sector, and have gained a real empathy for the customers. It is not about pounds shilling and pence the decision the building society makes has a real impact on the lives – more... of its customers. My Co-Workers are very dedicated and professional and easy to get on with. The hardest part of the job is trying to promote our range of products on every call even though it is not what the customer wants to hear. The management are very stat orientated and push every day for sales even though this is not the main point of the role. It is termed as promotion but is actually sales. – less
The worst place I have ever worked. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy!
Contractor - Bournemouth Underwriting Unit (Former Employee), Bournemouth Admin Centre - Portman HouseMarch 5, 2014
Cons: long hours, poor pay, sub-standard management.
The job is poorly paid at £7.50 ph but boy do they make you sweat for it. I was expected to work free overtime to reach hard targets in addition to not being paid time and a half for overtime like other temporary workers in other teams within the same department.

This leads to a poor culture and having worked in a great number of roles before this – more... was certainly a stand out feature.

Management are sirly and remote. My manager took particular pleasure in reinforcing my shortcomings at every available opportunity including making personal remarks regarding my appearance.

Opportunity for advancement had little to do with merit and more to do with how long you had been there and how well you can brown-nose.

In the end, when I successfully spoke out about my overtime payment situation, I was sacked less than a week later on the flimsiest excuse - presumably as punishment for speaking up.

Take my advice, the dole is better than this! – less
Fast paced and pressured environment.
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee), NorthamptonFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: benefits, company pension and private healthcare
Cons: long hours at certain times of month and year
Typical day would be producing month end reports to be submitted to the Bank of England and the PRA. These would be reviewed by senior management before submission, and they were produced to tight deadlines. There were also quarter end reports to deliver, half year end and full year end reports. Also manged the departmental budget for 3 years reporting – more... to the DD any over and under spends each month. Put process efficiency's for existing reports.
Management was very supportive and there was not really a hard part to the job, it was a challenging role – less
Excellent Company
Team Leader (Former Employee), Swindon, ENGFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: excellent work enviroment - benefits - pay
Cons: none come to mind!
Nationwide was an excellent company to work for and I enjoyed every single year of my 28 years there!

About Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society is the world’s largest building society, one the UK’s largest savings providers and a – Read more

Nationwide Building Society Photos