Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good but pressurised
Sales Support Advisor (Current Employee), BournemouthJuly 2, 2015
It is a great department i work for but it is extremely busy and pressurised with very few opportunities to progress within the department
Customer Service Assistant
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee), SheffieldJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Brilliant staff attitude
Cons: N/A
The job itself involved answering customer queries and solving any potential problems them may have encountered with our service.
Manic hours
Assistant Accountant (Current Employee), Swindon HOJune 30, 2015
Is a data centre and not much in terms of financial experience. Way behind its peers. Long hours very little pay or recognition.
no structure of management
customer representative (Current Employee), London, ENGJune 28, 2015
friendly staff, good place to work at, but management structure needs to be improved. more motivation needs to be done. always about targets.
Challenging and engaging environment.
Customer Representative (Current Employee), derbyshireJune 17, 2015
Pros: salary, proffesional;
great place to work, very challenging and will keep you on your toes throughout. No day is the same and youi will find plenty of margin for development.
Good On The Outside - Mess On The Inside: Good Coverup
Service Consultant (Current Employee), Sheffield, ENGJune 11, 2015
Pros: Pension plan, 50% of Flex Plus account, Preferential credit card rate and savings rate
Cons: Next to zero car parking (wakefield & Sheffield), shift patterns, no free lunch, paltry bonus
Joined on the pretence there was lots of scope for progression. If you're situated at Wakefield or Sheffield, there's essentially zero progression unless you want to become a manager. Anything else you need to relocate first down to either Swindon, Northampton or Bournemouth before they will even consider you in a position.

Management whilst no longer focused on target's (which is good) could be improved. Example; if you do something wrong or get nothing less than excellent from a customer, they treat you like a 2 year old attending a day care center. Hardest part of your job is picking yourself up from it when you get it.

Best part of the job are some of the regular staff that work with you..It's a shame when you appear to move to management the folk lose their way a little.

Most concerning part of the job is that Nationwide continues to get voted for best company to work for in the list, but doesn't take on criticism at all. It's more put you into a room and treat you like a bad kid talk.
Great company, great colleagues but some issues
Consultant (Former Employee), SwindonJune 9, 2015
Pros: Good on-site facilities, opportunities.
Cons: Hot desking, car parking, mixed messages, confusing matrix management.
Colleagues in customer facing roles and most teams were absolutely brilliant. PRIDE was used to reward good behaviours and extra effort.

In the main great co-workers and a good atmosphere. Communication of company wide matters is good, as is volunteering and community support.

Most functions in Swindon HO were good places to work. But beware, there are pockets where people are subject to poor management (verging on bullying). Adversely impacted by internal politics. Feedback can be saved up and then delivered when it is too late to change things.

Some approaches are up-to-date, but there are some very old fashioned management tendencies (confusingly mixed in with contemporary things like digital banking roll-outs).

Systems and processes can be out of date.

Most teams are OK, but proceed with caution.
professional Working environment
Customer Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGJune 4, 2015
Being the face of Nationwide for every customer that comes into branch and providing an excellent customer experience. Duties include serving customers from behind the counter and upselling financial products such as savings accounts to home insurance.
Good place to work, well run company
Mortgage Representative (Current Employee), WorcestershireJune 1, 2015
I have learned a lot about myself and the way of the world at Nationwide. My general knowledge of the banking world has increased and my ability to take on feedback and implement it into my work has evolved greatly here.
bad management
Customer representative (Former Employee), cirencesterMay 27, 2015
terribe management for the branch I was in, I miscarried while working with nationwide and it was treated in the most poor and unsympathetic way. I was not allowed time off to grieve and told by my manager that I wouldn't need long to grieve because I had not planned my pregnancy. - the manager claimed she never got my doctors note and put me through payroll as AWOL which caused my money to be stopped while of poorly, nationwide as a company did not deal with thius well, even after then showing the doctors notes they would not pay me until the following month, and again this is incorrect, and have not had a call back from 2 weeks ago in reply or letter.

my time at nationwide had few perks but when you are told there is no such thing as targets in this job it is false! - it is a very very target based job! but they caim everyday that its not.
Excellent company to work for
Trainer (Former Employee), Wakefield, ENGMay 27, 2015
They are an excellent company to work for and display excellent values to both employees and staff.
The management are excellent and very supportive and their is lots of development potential offered throughout the company.
Great Company
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee), Glasgow, SCTMay 13, 2015
Fantastic place to work. Never stay in the same role look to progress and keep your head down and you will be successful . Good chance to progress in the company for the right people.
Great brand, great ethos, great training, great culture
Head of People and Practice, Change Mgmt (Former Employee), SwindonMay 11, 2015
Pros: Flexible, professional, supportive, collaborative
Cons: Political
Excellent company with strong embedded values and ethos.
Learned project management, training, leadership, employee engagement.
Co-workers are like minded and great to work with.
Have undergone much change and have become more commercial - which it needed as some departments took a long time to change /deliver.
Sometimes, departments can act in silos - need more focus on the corporate bigger picture.
Company backdrop excellent, but like anywhere, some political players.
Productive and fun place to work
Service Centre Manager (Former Employee), SwanseaMay 4, 2015
Pros: staff rate
Cons: can't think of one!
Brilliant organisation. Provides excellent training and support to staff.
As a company they understand the needs of their members and treat them as individuals to maximise customer satisfaction, as an employer they develop their staff to be energised and driven to succeed.
Good Workplace
Commercial Recovery Manager (Former Employee), LondonApril 21, 2015
Good workplace, with varied work including all aspects of front and back office management of a Commercial Loan portfolio.
Great Job security
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee), VariousApril 10, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: lack of consistency
I worked in a branch with face to face professional mortgage advice. I had to work across a various branches and was succesful in the role.
Good workplace, Fantastic opportunities
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee), Carlisle, ENGMarch 30, 2015
Pros: development
Cons: wages
Great company to work for, lots of personal development, great career opportunities. Fully focused on customer service and making sure that employees are treated fairly.
Stable
Supervisor (Current Employee), Northampton, ENGFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: close to where i live
Cons: not easy to develope
I feel it is a stable place to work but I am currently finding it very hard to develop any further than I have an have strong ambitions and career drive which I feel is slowly coming to a stop. I feel it is a good place to work and a great company. It offers you lots of benefits like extra holiday, cycle scheme and pension.
fantastic company
Resourcer - Nationwide NOW (Current Employee), BournemouthFebruary 24, 2015
Nationwide Building Society is the world's biggest mutual.
Nationwide NOW is an expanding digital world - providing customers with immediate and easy to use appointments remotely
Friendly, local, family oriented
architect (Current Employee), SwindonFebruary 19, 2015
Typical day - average is 9-5
What you learn - small enough to get end to end overview of the business
Coworkers - knowledgeable
Hardest part - traditional thinking, everyone knows everyone so can be political
Most enjoyable:Friendly, local, family oriented.

1 2 3 4 5

About Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society is the world’s largest building society, one the UK’s largest savings providers and a – Read more

Nationwide Building Society Photos