National Sports Employee Reviews

Work with nice people
Sales Associate/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 February 2017
Great staff and good discounts on sporting goods product. Sales occur weekly. Merchandise is displayed nicely and in an orderly fashion.
Pros
Discounts on apparel and sports goods
Cons
No room for advancement or career growth
Management terrible, but fun and chill environment
Head Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2016
Worked here for 5 years throughout the end of high school and through college. Management changes very often, and not always the best either. I stayed because I knew I was one of the strongest employees and knew I was valued... however the pay didnt show it. It was also a good job to have in the background. Was a very laidback environment (with fun co-workers) which was appreciated and was good with working around your schedule ( depending on the manager at least). Not always given the best hours, and was really hard to move up in positions. Discount isn't the best and don't get discounts at the other FGL stores i.e sport chek, atmosphere, marks...Unless you are a manager. Definitely not a forever job, but good to start off.
Pros
Laidback job, fun people
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, not appreciated much
Fun place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 March 2017
When working here i loved it because im a sports guy, but one of the other workers was caught stealing and everyone was questioned for it.

My supervisor is now a manager there so that goes to show a lot.
Excellent place to work, positive energy from all staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 February 2017
Great place to work, positive energy from staff and management. I always enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great managers
National sports
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON3 August 2016
I have done a good overall experienced in National sports and K&D Landscaping. The most enjoyable part of the job, was helping Co-workers, taking orders from my manager, cleaning and organizing of the store, helping customer's, positive attitude towards others and good communication skills. I have learned that I would be more Respectful towards other customer's and co-workers, help them out with anything they need, be a very pollinate.
Cons
4 to 5 hours a day Co-op student worked for 220 hours job is done no work to do.
average minimum wage retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2016
not much to say, typical average minimum wage 9-5 job. if you like sports and gear than its not so bad. nothing to write home about to be honest just a normal place to work
Hard work but lots of fun
Assistant Manager, Shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 July 2016
Great place to work as a begginer into the work force, great manager who take their time in training their staff. Lots of incentives for employees. If you love sports you would love working here
Fun first time sales experience job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Good work place to build fundamentals of customer service and work place standards. Ability to learn all essential skills of interacting with various types of customers.
Fast paced, hard working environment in saless
Department Store Manager- Hardgoods (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 April 2016
Great place to work and develop skills. Fun had while working hard, much to be taken away from here.

Co- workers were great, management was great.

Working with people was very enjoyable.
Great and friendly environment to work in
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 April 2016
Everyone there is welcoming, can be hard dealing with difficult customers but it can still be a very rewarding job. Co-workers are very friendly and it's very easy to become good friends with everyone.
very fun and social
Part Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 March 2016
I really enjoyed working at national sports although it was co operative education and I wasn't getting paid I was still able to learn how to work in a completely different work field and environment. c
Pros
being able to learn retail
Cons
short hours
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
Worked here for 3 years as a cashier and retail associate towards the end. Management was flexible and accommodating with changes in employee availability as most of them are high school/post-secondary students. Salary is low (minimum wage, with potential for a small pay increase depending on performance evaluations). Experience in retail is a plus, but not necessary - they train you right from the start on product knowledge and store policies/procedures and you shadow an experienced employee for a few shifts.

No opportunities to advance into upper management or head office positions, even for employees who have worked 5+years with the company. Management style differs between stores (I worked at Scarborough), but all friendly and welcoming, cared about their workers and addressed their needs. Also liked to plan staff events to foster team work and friendships. Always open lines of communication between management staff and sales associates. Head office is also quite friendly and competent.

Job culture is great! You're surrounded by lots of young, friendly workers with various personalities and it's quite easy to get along with everyone. It's a cliche, but they welcome you all into their big family. Very little drama (if any!). Overall great place to work at if you're looking to gain retail experience/skills to make you employable for another job in the future.
Fun work environment
ASSISTANT STORE GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 February 2016
Typically involves a lot of staff members that have been around for a very long time. Treat the people right and creates a fun working sports related environment
Laid back but Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2015
Fun workplace with a great team. Felt like it was all about making the sale. I learned to be helpful when it comes to customer service. The hardest part would be staying motivated. Being with co worker that want to grow as much as I was enjoyable.
Pros
short days
Cons
not enough hours
Productive, laid back, flexible
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 June 2015
Work consisted mostly of checking out customers and maintaining the cleanliness of the area.
Processing returned and damages goods
Cleaning up hangers and security tags.
Cashing out and counting til.
Cleaning and organizing front display area
Pros
Family and friend discounts along with employee discounts
Cons
unpredictable hours
Productive and fun environment to work in
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario7 September 2014
A typical day at work is selling the stores product to customers, packing product away on shelves and cleaning the sales floor of product that has fallen down. The management is always great at working around you schedule. The hardest part about the job is sometimes there isn't enough staff and the store can get busy. The best part about the job is that for the most part the customers are always happy coming in.
Great Sports store for almost all your Athletic needs, Poorly managed though
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 April 2012
Primary objective is customer service and I feel that for the most part that objective is met. The Store itself is very dirty and NOT well maintained by workers and management. Boxes are scattered everywhere throughout the backroom with very limited organization.
The co-workers were good and pretty easy to work with for the most part. The biggest reward personally is sending a customer home or off to the rink happy and satisfied with the experience at national sports and that we provided a easy and enjoyable buying process.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
filthy and poorly managed.
Fun and productive work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 January 2013
I learned at my job how to multitask and customer relations. While trying to work efficiently and quick we also had to answer phones and potential questions that customers had. The hardest part of the job was the long shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment. The managers as well as co-workers made it a fun and interesting work experience which made coming into work very easy and exciting.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Was a good job, and good environment, but not what I was looking for in a job
Hockey advisor and sharpener (Former Employee) –  Oakville, Ontario19 March 2013
I learned how to sharpen, and gained customer service skills that are valuable in other areas of my life.
A typical shift was 8 hours long, and was usually very busy because I sharpened. Skate line ups would sometimes reach 2 hours in length!
I loved the perks of working in the hockey section, learning about the cool specs of the equipment , and getting to demo the gear as well!
Pros
discounts on hockey gear and anything in the store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 November 2015
They provided me with great training and skills to further myself and my career path in life. They gave me skills to broaden my knowledge in various aspect in the workforce.