National Sports Employee Reviews

Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
Worked here for 3 years as a cashier and retail associate towards the end. Management was flexible and accommodating with changes in employee availability as most of them are high school/post-secondary students. Salary is low (minimum wage, with potential for a small pay increase depending on performance evaluations). Experience in retail is a plus, but not necessary - they train you right from the start on product knowledge and store policies/procedures and you shadow an experienced employee for a few shifts.

No opportunities to advance into upper management or head office positions, even for employees who have worked 5+years with the company. Management style differs between stores (I worked at Scarborough), but all friendly and welcoming, cared about their workers and addressed their needs. Also liked to plan staff events to foster team work and friendships. Always open lines of communication between management staff and sales associates. Head office is also quite friendly and competent.

Job culture is great! You're surrounded by lots of young, friendly workers with various personalities and it's quite easy to get along with everyone. It's a cliche, but they welcome you all into their big family. Very little drama (if any!). Overall great place to work at if you're looking to gain retail experience/skills to make you employable for another job in the future.
Management terrible, but fun and chill environment
Head Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2016
Worked here for 5 years throughout the end of high school and through college. Management changes very often, and not always the best either. I stayed because I knew I was one of the strongest employees and knew I was valued... however the pay didnt show it. It was also a good job to have in the background. Was a very laidback environment (with fun co-workers) which was appreciated and was good with working around your schedule ( depending on the manager at least). Not always given the best hours, and was really hard to move up in positions. Discount isn't the best and don't get discounts at the other FGL stores i.e sport chek, atmosphere, marks...Unless you are a manager. Definitely not a forever job, but good to start off.
Pros
Laidback job, fun people
Cons
Bad pay, bad management, not appreciated much
Fun first time sales experience job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Good work place to build fundamentals of customer service and work place standards. Ability to learn all essential skills of interacting with various types of customers.
National sports
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON3 August 2016
I have done a good overall experienced in National sports and K&D Landscaping. The most enjoyable part of the job, was helping Co-workers, taking orders from my manager, cleaning and organizing of the store, helping customer's, positive attitude towards others and good communication skills. I have learned that I would be more Respectful towards other customer's and co-workers, help them out with anything they need, be a very pollinate.
Cons
4 to 5 hours a day Co-op student worked for 220 hours job is done no work to do.
Hard work but lots of fun
Assistant Manager, Shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 July 2016
Great place to work as a begginer into the work force, great manager who take their time in training their staff. Lots of incentives for employees. If you love sports you would love working here
Fast paced, hard working environment in saless
Department Store Manager- Hardgoods (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 April 2016
Great place to work and develop skills. Fun had while working hard, much to be taken away from here.

Co- workers were great, management was great.

Working with people was very enjoyable.
Great and friendly environment to work in
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 April 2016
Everyone there is welcoming, can be hard dealing with difficult customers but it can still be a very rewarding job. Co-workers are very friendly and it's very easy to become good friends with everyone.
very fun and social
Part Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 March 2016
I really enjoyed working at national sports although it was co operative education and I wasn't getting paid I was still able to learn how to work in a completely different work field and environment. c
Pros
being able to learn retail
Cons
short hours
Fun work environment
ASSISTANT STORE GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 February 2016
Typically involves a lot of staff members that have been around for a very long time. Treat the people right and creates a fun working sports related environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 November 2015
They provided me with great training and skills to further myself and my career path in life. They gave me skills to broaden my knowledge in various aspect in the workforce.
Laid back but Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2015
Fun workplace with a great team. Felt like it was all about making the sale. I learned to be helpful when it comes to customer service. The hardest part would be staying motivated. Being with co worker that want to grow as much as I was enjoyable.
Pros
short days
Cons
not enough hours
Great Friendly Team Atmosphere
Merchandising Assistant/ Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 September 2015
You feel like you're part of a sports team working for them.

They treat everyone like a best friend and really make sure they cater your specific wants and needs
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 August 2015
Worked as a cashier/customer service, overall good management. Co-workers are a lot of fun. The hardest part of the job is trying to satisfy everyone.
Cons
Lack of hours. Too many cashiers
Everyone is so friendly
Sales Representative Coop Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ON23 July 2015
They treat your first day like any other. your'e trained in everything you'll need on the job. Everything is neatly organized on the walls were the shoes are and hockey stuff is always in the right place.
salesperson
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 June 2015
helped customers find their needs and sold products to customers. Organized shipments and put them away. Greeted customers upon arrival at National Sports
Good place to work. Some faults.
Sports Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 June 2015
Enjoyable atmosphere. Learn new skills. Managers weren't very good. No room for growth in terms of advancing up through the company. Not very loyal to experienced workers.
Good Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 June 2015
Enjoyed helping people. Got to deal with sporting goods and talk to customers about sports. Big downside was cleaning up at the end of the day.
Productive, laid back, flexible
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 June 2015
Work consisted mostly of checking out customers and maintaining the cleanliness of the area.
Processing returned and damages goods
Cleaning up hangers and security tags.
Cashing out and counting til.
Cleaning and organizing front display area
Pros
Family and friend discounts along with employee discounts
Cons
unpredictable hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby5 May 2015
Wondeful atmosphere. Great staff and management. Very helpful and kind. I have learned a lot already in a short period of time.
Pros
great staff
Cons
minimum wage pay
Enjoyable, friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 February 2015
I sold shoes and sports clothing. I enjoyed my co-workers, and management. Sometimes it was a little bit over whelming during big sales, but great place to work.
Pros
People
Cons
Messy back