National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
very stressful and disorganized
Electrical/Mechanical Assembler (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 18, 2013
Cons: 2 members of my night crew were always so high on pills it made the job area dangerous
working nights was the worst. The day shift would blame the night shift and vice versa for problems and management would do nothing to bring the two groups together. The older employees would not help out the new guys if we had any questions for fear of losing their positions.
Dissatisfied with such a big company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), HoustonDecember 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: no pay raises, lots of favoritism, horrible hr, horrible upper management
Good company to work for but has the worst HR and worst management. Way too much favoritism. Only way to move up is by who you know or what you'll do to move up. HR will completely lie and coverup things just to backup upper management even if they know they are in the wrong so never fight upper management because you will not win. Very unfair company. – more... Theyll let management treat you horribly, discriminate, belittle and humiliate you and still defend management. Going to HR is completely pointless. – less
Great working environment
Quality Control Lead Inspector (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 15, 2013
Great place to work and learn to enhance PT and MT skills. Work a lot of hours, get paid vacations. Management is hard, on quality which is a great thing!
Not fun , but steady work
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 15, 2013
Pros: steady work, seasonal company picnic, yearly comapny soccer tournments
Cons: short breaks, no bonuses, no appreciation in productivity, immature management
(Only based Mud Pump assembler employee point of view not as company as a whole)

Immature management

Nobody is held accountable to their work

Job not hard at all

Enjoyable part of the job is the salary and steady work
Corporate Managers that only care about their bonus, period!
Sales (Former Employee), TexasDecember 13, 2013
Pros: plenty of products and services to offer
Cons: lack of leadership or employee value
Don't get comfortable and assume you have job security. After several years of dedicated service, corporate cycled through several different upper managers in that time. A manager that was installed for a couple of months layed me off and chose to keep less experienced employees that he had worked directly with in the past. My tenure, experience, or – more... successes meant nothing. The cut and keep was based on favoritism.

In 10 years with the company, I met the CEO three times. In that same time period, I had no idea what our division president even looked like. He ruled our division with fear, and was arrogant enough to never show up at any manager meetings for our division. That is poor leadership in any company. No surprise there was such a mass exodus in 2013.

I'm glad to no longer be in this company. Good Riddance! – less
Reveiw
Administrative Assistant, Expeditor, Inside Sales (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 12, 2013
NOV is a very upbeat company with a great culture in a booming industry. My work days can be a little crazy with all the responsibilities I have none the less I cherish all the knowledge I have been able to obtain. My coworkers are supportive and my management can be very encouraging. Even though I had no prior knowledge of this field, I have grown – more... an outstanding passion for my job and my customer. – less
Enjoy the work, but had to deal with such poor management and a lot of favoritism by management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New Iberia, LADecember 12, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no incentives
Poor management, no chance to advance, low pay scale and high turn overs
To much favertisum and no structur, some do as they please and barley work in a day.
SENIOR LEAD (Former Employee), 12950 West Little York Houston Tx.December 8, 2013
Pros: if your in the click good
Cons: if your not in the click bad
A good company but bad management. Some supervisors Yael and degrade the employees in front of others. To many friends and relations for a place that has no nepotism.
schedule/expediter (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 7, 2013
Very good company to work for. Always improving the way we do things and is a nice atmosphere.
Great Place To Work
Warehouseman (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 7, 2013
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: lower pay than most companies in same field
Great place to work. In need of more advancement opportunities.
Was not a proper fit for me and my skill set
Joined NOV as a Service Technician (Former Employee), Broussard LADecember 3, 2013
NOV was a tough and very dirty place to work. I am not against physical labor but NOV was very different. A very unsanitary facility to say the least. I realized that this field was not my future and that I want a job that I can turn into a career.
NOV was a ok company to work for.
Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 29, 2013
Cons: be careful what youi wish for
my typical work day was very busy/ I learned a lot in 16 plus years. the management did not care enough about the employees. some co-workers were good others needed training. hardest part of my job was dealing with issues between buyers and vendors. the most enjoyable was my team working under my supervision.
NOV (Corporate) has a reputation of a great company to work for.
Fulfillment Coordinator, Materials Management (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 25, 2013
NOV has a reputation of a great company it might be but, my experience has been different I work for the Benefits side of the company and Management needs improvements (Mary Burke & Jamie Lelz) they are not professional, the level of micromanagement goes beyond legal. HR never helps (Karen Kramer) the employees, HR allows management to do illegal things – more... to employees for example:: Allows managers to call your personal Doctor and tell them that He/She needs to release you from whatever the OW reason might be and have you attend to work the next day. or layoff employees for medical reasons and tell them that they are been let go do to absences even when there is the proper doctor's notes stating the condition of the patient. – less
Work Life At NOV
Centrifuge Mechanic (Former Employee), Conroe, TXNovember 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, vacation, independence.
Cons: 3 managers over 11 workers, under paid at 16/hr, training.
Work day there was a good learning experience in the solids control area of the oil field. I have learned basic fabricating and mechanical responsibilities on centrifuges. Like, reading blue prints, wiring machines like centrifuges, shakers, dryer centrifuges, and VFDs (variable frequency drives). I learned how to build from beginning to finish different – more... types of centrifuges, like 3400, 2000hs, 1960s, 2172hs. I repaired and ran centrifuges as I progressed. I have also rebuilt VFDs. I had 2 leadmen and a supervisor over the shop. It was difficult working in a place where your supervisor nor one of the leadmen knew how to build a centrifuge, only one did. There was a lot of mis-management and lack of communication happening in the work place. On the good side, the benefits and experience was the best thing I liked about National Oilwell Varco. – less
ON THE RIG SITE
Solid Control (Former Employee), Watsontown, PANovember 25, 2013
Pros: lots of money
Cons: away from home alot
WELL WE WOULD WORK 12 HOURS SHIFTS 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR 4 WEEKS IN A ROLE SOME TIMES THERE WAS TWO PEOPLE PER SHIFT BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT WAS ONLY ONE MAN PER SHIFT . WE HAD TO MONITOR MAINTAIN ALL EQUIPMENT ARE ONLY DOWN TIME TO FIX STUFF IS WHEN THE RIG STOPPED DRILLING .
I HAD TO LEARN ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT MY SELF THERE WAS NO TRAINING IT WAS ALL – more... HANDS ON .
THERE WAS NO MANAGEMENT IF SOMETHING BROKE I HAD TO MAKE DO WITH PARTS I HAD OR BRORROW FROM THE RIG .
KEEPING THE MUD ENGINEER HAPPY .
YOUR OUT IN ALL WEATHER YOUR OUT FOR 28 DAYS OR MORE U STAY AND SLEEP ON THE RIG SITE THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THE LAST DAY ON THE SITE – less
Job security offered but not the work or hours promised
Solids Control Operator (Current Employee), Odessa, TXNovember 24, 2013
Pros: we get paid mileage but only if we drive from out of town and quarterly bonus
Cons: mileage checks are consistently not paid on time, no field work given, no proper training given, only a very small incentive bonus given based on work done.
NOV has the ability to be a great company but the unfortunate side is the job I, and many others like me, were hired to do is not the job we are currently working. Most all Techs and Operators are now garaged at the company shop making less hours and much less money. I hired on to learn the oil field and rise to the top of my game but not to be a full-time – more... shop hand. For this reason alone I am seeking a position in similar fields where I can learn, grow, and become the best at what I've chosen to do. – less
Nice company if you dont want to advance
Admin Assistant, Expeditor (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 21, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: management lied
you get told you are up for advancement when reality your not
One of the worst oil companies in the area
Manufacturing Planner (Current Employee), Odessa, TXNovember 19, 2013
Pros: nothing good to say about it.
the worst management ever. They have lost mostly all of their clients and employees. no leadership at all, no communication and miserable salaries.
Great company
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 18, 2013
Pros: free lunch, quarterly bonus
Great company, takes very good care of their employees. wish i would have never left
not bad
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 5, 2013
good place to work. after 15.7 years was laidoff boss did not like me

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies¬†operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos