National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive work area
Senior Buyer (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 1, 2013
Pros: flexible hours. open door policy. benefits
Cons: low pay
My day starts at 6:00am and runs til 5:00 or 6:00p.m.. I run all my reports and start working them. I review open orders and release purchase orders. A day doesn't go by that we don't have to try and put fires out. My co-workers are great to work with. We try to help each other when someone is out with on vacation or sick. The most enjoyable part of – more... my job is accomplishment on keeping my shortages next to nothing and lowering costs. There's always going to be some shortages that are out of our control. – less
good place to work
CNC Journament Machinist (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2013
I set up and operate a cnc slant 60 Mazak I check Program to make sure of no errors ,Supervisors are real good and we have nice co-work environment the nardest part of my job is working night shift I prefer Day shift that's the only reason that I am looking for another job
Very good place to work.
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), McAlester, OKSeptember 26, 2013
National Oilwell is a very good place to work in McAlester, Ok.
Demanding and Challenging place with good benefits.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Orange, CASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits package is good
Cons: nepatism runs rampant and if you are not part of the crew you get forgotten or even black listed, promotions are not often and seems a bit like a dead end job.
Very demanding job for any position. Work is very plentiful at this time. The past has been a little rough with 3 major layoffs in the 12 years I was there but it seems to be stabilizing as there has not been a layoff since 2009. You can learn a lot about the oil field and Manufacturing heavy equipment. Pay can be good if you have a high amount of skills.
NO ADVANCEMENT
Billing Clerk (Former Employee), Broussard, LASeptember 18, 2013
Cons: management
The most enjoyable part of the job was staying busy all day long.
Very good opportunity
Mechanical Assembler & Pressure Control Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: cross training; overtime; benefits; retirement
Cons: sometime they work you too much; not much time for personal life.
N.O.V. is the largest manufacturing company in oil/gas by far. This company believes in cross training it's employees so that they can be ready to assume any position that needs to be filled within the company. This is beneficial for not just the employer but also the employee, as you become a bigger asset as you learn.
Provide many opportunities for career developments
Sr. Process Engineer (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2013
Great place to work.
Excellent boss
Outdated system and lack of standardization
Professional and Employee Oriented
Sales Representative/Outside Sales (Current Employee), Odessa, TXSeptember 5, 2013
National Oilwell Varco is a professional place of employment and cares about their employees. I have enjoyed working here.
Productive and quick pace
Senior Buyer (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: flex hours
Cons: no chance of advancement at this division
I have enjoyed working at National Oilwell. The facility that I work at is a manufacturing division. We manufacture Mud Pumps, Rotary Tables, High Performance Utility(HPU), ADS Drawworks. My plans are to move back to the Lorain-Cleveland Ohio area by the end of the year 2013.
Buyer
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), HoustonAugust 28, 2013
I loved working at National Oilwell Varco. I gained alot of computer experience
Great place to work.
Structural Steel Designer / Detailer (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 27, 2013
Pros: work stations were up to date, provided bottled water w/ flavored packets that could be added to waters.
Cons: not much of anything that comes to mind.
Enjoyed the office atmosphere and location. Management was easy to communicate with and work with. Co-workers were nice an friendly. Left when the recession started do to lack of work.
a typical day at work
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 26, 2013
.Receive Part’s and downhole tool’s.
.Use sit down and stand up forklift’s and palletize item’s.
.Do inventory everyday,pull work order’s and build work order’s.
.Inspect all part’s when checked in and make sure that there are no
discrepancies on the part’s or paperwork and everything matches
decent place
Senior Planner (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 23, 2013
nice place to get your feet wet in the industry, but plan on going out to get better pay
Safe Working enviroment
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: good team
Cons: lots of down time
Have a walk through of your walk station. Find all tools that you need for the job for that day.
Good work place
Account Rep, Outside Sales (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: lots of driving
I spent most days calling on Land Drilling Rigs in southeast Texas. I really enjoyed learning the ends and outs of how land rigs operate. Management really left me alone as long as my number were up which they always were.
It was a very good place to work
QC2 Welding Inspector (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 16, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: great benifits
I had to get all welders perameters to make sure they was with in the range or wps,Lots of problem solving keeping a log on all welders. Read blue prints,work with upper mangers and engernieers and other QC. Sign off on fittings and final work to assure customs was getting the best quality. The hardest part of the job was getting ebody started and log – more... work keeping up with work orders,the best part of the job was not making a mistake. – less
ERP system is dated
Senior Planner (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 13, 2013
You career advancement is dictated by your manager just like any company.
NOV was a great place to work, I really enjoyed everyone
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Kilgore, TXAugust 8, 2013
Pros: group lunch
Cons: it was hot on occasion
A typical day, at work was very fast paced. Every day you learned, something new. I worked with a great team.
 Production controlling.  Manning scheduling of personnel in different Production units.  Man management.
Q C Engineer (Current Employee), DUBAIAugust 3, 2013
Responsibilities Handled
 Production controlling.
 Manning scheduling of personnel in different Production units.
 Man management.
 Reducing bead and ply scraps to the targeted value.
 Employee Sap updating.
 Quality checks for the tire manufacturing process.
 Verifying the traceability color codes are followed properly on the products manufactured.
 – more... Do the necessary maintenance activities in the machines when required.
 Ensuring that the machines are utilized properly for full efficiency.
 Ensuring the beads and plies are made as per the Apollo Quality Specifications.
 Check daily visual and dimensional audits for beads and plies.
 Ensuring the supply of the required raw materials for beads and plies. – less
LAB TECH
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 2, 2013
Pros: soads, and breaks
Cons: hot air
A typical day at work is very wonderful I enjoy what I do, at my job I have learned how to work safe and fast and productive to get the job done. The hardest part about my job is currently at the moment the air is broken and its summer time. The heat index ranges anywhere from 90-105 and you feel every bit. The most enjoyable part of my job would out – more... a doubt would have to bee the breaks. We receive four breaks while on duty and I love it. The sodas also are 25cents each – less

About National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco is the tool man that provides goods and services to exploration and production companies operating in oil – Read more

National Oilwell Varco Photos